Start by marking “The Nest” as Want to Read:
The Nest

The Nest

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  102,131 Ratings  ·  10,666 Reviews
A warm, funny and acutely perceptive debut novel about four adult siblings and the fate of the shared inheritance that has shaped their choices and their lives.

Every family has its problems. But even among the most troubled, the Plumb family stands out as spectacularly dysfunctional. Years of simmering tensions finally reach a breaking point on an unseasonably cold afterno
Published March 22nd 2016 by Ecco

To ask other readers questions about The Nest, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kandie Sweeney
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Navidad Thelamour
The Nest by Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney did absolutely nothing for me. (I clearly seem to be of the minority here, but I’m fine with that.) I had high hopes for this one going in—another brilliantly written cover flap did the trick—but my expectations were never met, and by mid-way, I stopped hoping and assuming that they eventually would be. In fact, this one almost didn’t get finished; sheer perseverance pushed me through.

The Nest is about the Plumb siblings, four middle-agers whose lives are th
karen
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
congratulations! semifinalist in goodreads' best fiction category 2016!

photo IMG_7740_zpsc7e27ema.jpg

each dysfunctional family is dysfunctional in its own way...

the only word to describe this book is "breezy." and that's not to imply it is "unchallenging" or "unsophisticated," just that reading it is a truly pleasurable experience and it both carries you away and sucks you in until you look up and it's four in the morning and you've forgotten to eat dinner and you don't even care.

it's a multiple POV novel revolving around
Diane S ☔
Apr 07, 2016 rated it liked it
2.5 Once again my reception of this book will have me swimming upstream from most of my friends on this site whom have already read this book and loved it.. I have given it three stars for the writing alone but the characters and the story I did not care for. Self absorbed, unlikable, selfish is how I found these four siblings. I occasionally felt a slight interest in Bea, but not for long. Too many side characters, which occasioned constant breaks in the narrative did not help matters. The endi ...more
Cindy
If I had to describe this book in one word it would be "shallow". There was no depth to the characters, the plot, the problem the characters faced- just pure surface level, mind-numbing, shallow reading.

I really hesitated in reading this book because the blurb didn't appeal to me. I wasn't enthused about reading about these four siblings who are just sitting waiting for their inheritance. I decided to give it a go because if the ratings- really wish I didn't.

I didn't feel anything for these ch
Will Byrnes
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
He hesitated. Above him, an ear-splitting screech. He looked up to see three enormous crows, perched on the bare branches of one of the few trees that had already dropped its leaves. They were all squawking at once, as if they were arguing about his next move. Directly beneath, in the midst of the stark and barren branches and at the base of a forked limb, a mud-brown leafy mass. A nest. Jesus.

Leo checked the time and started walking.
When Leo Plumb, 46, and very unhappily married, enjoying t
Debbie
Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute. Usually I’m the curmudgeon who doesn’t like a book that everyone else is cuckoo over. I usually have a complaint board full to the gills. I spend a lot of time ducking and feeling like a weirdo. This time, I’ll be damned. I really liked The Nest! In fact, this book grabbed me and didn’t let me go until the end.

I went into it with low expectations. A family full of greedy people, arguing over their fair share? Sounded awful. I pictured loud arguments a
Jen
Mar 25, 2016 rated it liked it
I think the Nest 'egg' was more of a goose egg. A dysfunctional family relying on an inheritance that has been depleted by a brother who was in an accident. The dynamics of siblings, greed, entitlement and downright spoiled adult kids.
The writing flowed well but the story consisted of too much whining, selfish, and shallow characters. It actually started to get better at page 300 but by that point I was ticked off having invested 5 days with these unlikeable characters. I did not feel any emotio
Elyse
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A teen boy getting caught with his pants down, by the girls religious father,
might have consequences and be embarrassing...
such as what happened in the book "For the Love of Money", by Christopher Meades,
but a 46 year old married man who has been avoiding his wife, who was barely
speaking to him....( and who could blame her ...after catching Leo fondling the babysitter weeks earlier?), is beyond embarrassing and beyond a slap on the face from his wife Victoria. Many people in this novel will s
Pouting Always
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Nest centers around four adult siblings fighting over an inheritance that has been spent after one of them is involved in an accident. I can see why people may be disappointed with this book, the characters all have multiple flaws but for me that made the book more interesting. I enjoy having characters that make me feel conflicted. The writing was excellent also. There were way too many characters and I felt that the ending was anti climatic but I still enjoyed it. Might be because I really ...more
Stephanie
3.5 stars rounded down... Compelling story of a dysfunctional upper middle-class family ... with 4 siblings fighting for a piece of the nest egg....

I am late to the party on this one! Anyone considering this book will see that the ratings and reviews for The Nest are all over the spectrum! Nevertheless, it is a GRCA finalist for 2016! Due to the polarized ratings, I was prepared to not like it at all and was pleasantly surprised to be swept away by this tale of a family torn apart by greed.

The p
James
Mar 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1-fiction
3+ of 5 stars to The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney. I was excited to read this one because it fits right in with my own choice of writing: family dramas. And it doesn't disappoint. the family feels very real -- a little too much drama / secrets for one family, but then again, it did keep me interested. It has something for everyone, characters to love and characters to hate. I am disappointed in one of the 4 children especially since I don't feel we got a good ending for this person's post-boo ...more
Karen
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read about four adult siblings all awaiting their share of the NEST (inheritance from their father). They aren't really involved in each other's life but as things don't pan out as expected, they come to appreciate each other and become close. There are also many other stories within the main story that really give depth to this novel. It had a lot of humor and compassion and was a joy to read.
Carol
2.5 Stars.

I had my ups and downs with THE NEST. While the writing is fine and the prologue gets the reader off to a hell of a start, this story about a dysfunctional family and their individual personal reasons to procure funds from a promised trust turned out to be a slow and tedious read that just kind of fell flat (for me) all the way to the non-eventful end.

During the first half of the novel, we are slowly introduced to family members (and other players) that (for me) was almost like reading

Larry H
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
What is it about family dysfunction that makes it so upsetting and unappealing to experience, yet so compelling to read about?

Leo, Beatrice, Jack, and Melody Plumb are four siblings whose relationships with each other are, to put it mildly, strained and complex. They've spent much of their adult lives waiting for one pivotal moment: the day the youngest, Melody, turns 40, so they can take possession of "The Nest," a joint trust fund their father set up when they were younger. Melody and Jack, in
Tina
Reading "The Nest" reminded me a lot of the experience I had with Lauren Groff's "Fates and Furies." Mainly just very perplexed. I don't understand all the hype and praise around this book but, like "Fates and Furies," I stuck with it in hope of some kind of redeeming ending that never came. I listened to the book on audio and maybe that made a difference, but I didn't find the characters or writing comic at all. Centered around the four Plumb siblings, the novel tells the story of what happens ...more
Melki
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
How had they raised children who were so impractical yet still so entitled?

"The Nest" is a trust fund, promised as a reward whenever the youngest of the four siblings turns forty. Each of the "children" expects to receive $500,000. That's a nice sum of money; enough for a college tuition or two, or perhaps a chance to pay off some risky investments that headed south. They've all been waiting, counting the days until they can relax, breathe freely and have their debts wiped away. So it's really t
Ron Charles
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Baby boomers are expected to play their part by succumbing to the looming wave of death — the Greatest Degeneration — and bequeathing some $16 trillion to their children over the next three decades. For princes and princesses of American aristocracy, these bittersweet transactions hold little suspense. But for upper-middle-class Americans balancing mortgage payments, tuition bills and retirement plans on a brittle tower of monthly paychecks, this bounty looms with the promise of salvation.

If you
Dianne
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-of-2016
I really enjoyed this dysfunctional family drama. Siblings counting on a promised family inheritance, called "The Nest," come unglued when it is revealed that the trust fund money has been depeleted to bail out their feckless older brother.

In additional to the 4 siblings and their parents, there are interesting side characters that come into play to help reveal the true characters of the main players. While many of the main characters were weak, dishonest or just plain unlikeable, I could in so
Glenn Sumi
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
“Don’t count your chickens before they hatch”

If only someone had said this to the Plumb siblings in Cynthia d’Aprix Sweeney’s entertaining first novel, The Nest, the characters would have been spared a lot of anxiety and humiliation.

But then again, if they had heeded this advice, this highly readable book wouldn’t have been so gripping or cathartic.

“The Nest” refers to the modest nest egg provided by the patriarch of the Plumb family, to be dispersed to the children when the youngest, Melody, tu
Ragan
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Though I am not the most well versed in adult contemporary, I knew from the first sentence of this book I would not be impressed. Though this book wasn't terrible, it certainly did not come close to wowing me.

The Nest is about a group of trust fund children who have grown up depending on the money they will receive on the youngest's 40th birthday, but these plans are complicated when the oldest son royally screws up and their funds are dramatically drained to cover his folly.

The true synopsis o
Britany
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
A much anticipated debut novel that I couldn't wait to get my hands on. This book follows four wealthy siblings fighting over "The Nest"-- an account with a significant amount of money to be split amongst them once the youngest turned 40. Right before this happens, Leo- the oldest and least responsible gets in an accident that rocks The Nest and the siblings' relationship.

I find myself really enjoying mini-sagas dealing with the relationships between groups of characters. It almost feels like I'
Tooter
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK! Definitely on my top 10 best books ever.
Phrynne
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
My first by this author and I enjoyed it very much. I became totally engrossed in the Plumb family and their partners. It was interesting how even the less important characters like Walker were still totally fleshed out and were charming enough that I wanted good things to happen to them.
Of course as in real life not just good things did happen. By the end I think everyone had adjusted to their lot and the family had drawn closer.
This was an absorbing and interesting read and I would recommend i
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Character driven contemporary. It wasn't memorable but not bad!
Zoeytron
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: public-library
With almost 4000 reviews already posted for The Nest, I'm not going to have too many more feathers to add. A nest egg, set up by the Plumb family's father, is not meant to be hatched until the youngest of the brood turns 40. They are all chomping at the bit, resentful at having to wait that long in the first place for what is owed to them, by the gods! Projecting a feeling of entitlement is not very attractive, not here, and not anywhere else.

'... it was never about the money. Except that it wa
Margitte
From the blurb:
This is a story about the power of family, the possibilities of friendship, the ways we depend upon one another and the ways we let one another down. In this tender, entertaining, and deftly written debut, Sweeney brings a remarkable cast of characters to life to illuminate what money does to relationships, what happens to our ambitions over the course of time, and the fraught yet unbreakable ties we share with those we love.
It is truly one of the most outstanding debut novels in
Jessica
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, arc-egalley
The four adult Plumb siblings have spent their whole lives waiting to receive the money from a trust fund, which will hit the day the youngest of them turns 40. Smart investing has caused the fund to balloon past their expectations and they’ve each, in their own way, remained in a bit of arrested development while waiting for their money.

Then Leo, the oldest brother, crashes his car while receiving a handy from a 19-year-old cocktail waitress and the Plumb matriarch uses 80% of the Nest to swee
Amanda
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I don't often like the big "summer" novels but I loved this addictive story of the dysfunctional Plumb siblings. The characters are not always likeable they are mostly self absorbed but I couldn't stop caring about them.

Leo, the oldest brother, makes a really bad decision to get behind the wheel intoxicated and has a terrible car accident and ends up in rehab. The cost of this is paid for out of the "nest" which is the siblings trust fund that they don't receive until the youngest one turns 40
DeB MaRtEnS
They knew, unconsciously, where their parents' investments really were. The father's was in work, the success, the financial reward of a job exceptionally well done. Leonard Plumb's old family money had been squandered when he needed an education, but his ingenuity led him to build a thriving business. Their mother, a bit of a mean woman, was primarily enamoured of herself although she found Leo the least irritating and most amiable of her four children.

When Melody, the youngest, was sixteen Le
Peter Boyle
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Money—and the entitlement that often accompanied just the idea of money—could warp relationships and memories and decisions."

I must be one of the last people on Goodreads to get around to The Nest. My timeline has been filled with praise for it all year round. Well I can certainly see why it's so popular - I mean, who doesn't love a juicy dysfunctional family story?

And they don't come much more dysfunctional than the Plumbs. Borne from wealthy Manhattan stock, four grown siblings have been wai
Play Book Tag: The Nest; 2.5 Stars 4 12 Oct 18, 2017 09:07AM
Cranbury Public L...: Oct 18 - The Nest by Cynthia Sweeney 2 1 Oct 16, 2017 02:31PM
Urban Classy Readers: October Book 2 4 Oct 06, 2017 10:09AM
  • Heat & Light
  • The Gilded Years
  • All Things Cease to Appear
  • I'm Glad About You
Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney is the New York Times bestselling author of The Nest, which has been translated into more than 25 languages and optioned for film by Amazon Studios with Sweeney writing the adaptation. She has an MFA from the Bennington Writing Seminars and lives in Los Angeles with her husband and children.

More about Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney...
“She was so much better at being alone; being alone came more naturally to her. She led a life of deliberate solitude, and if occasional loneliness crept in, she knew how to work her way out of that particular divot. Or even better, how to sink in and absorb its particular comforts.” 47 likes
“Parents are temporary custodians, keeping watch and offering love and trying to leave the child better than they found him.” 18 likes