Start by marking “10 Reasons You Feel Old and Get Fat...: And How YOU Can Stay Young, Slim, and Happy!” as Want to Read:

Like most people in our society, you might see the years from the age 30 onward as a slow, painful decline marked by the following outcomes: weight gain, fatigue, mysterious aches and pains, illnesses, memory issues, low libido, and sadness and anxiety. But contrary to popular belief, the real obstacle for most of us isn’t age—it’s loss of function. Our bodies are perfectl ...more
Published February 23rd 2016 by Hay House, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about 10 Reasons You Feel Old and Get Fat..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 10 Reasons You Feel Old and Get Fat...

ShoSho
Nov 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, x-2015
I've been on health kick for the past 4 months and I've been reading a lot about what to eat and not to eat and what to do and not to do to stay healthy and I've been seeing great results. I found a couple of things I didn't know and found helpful but overall there wasn't anything new(at least for me).
As for the 4 week program( revitalize and maintenance) that came with shopping lists and exercises, it's definitely not for me. I can follow a general guideline but there is no way I can plan my m
Michelegg
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was packed full of so much information. Unlike most self help books which just tell you what to do, this book goes in depth with the whys of what you should do. I found it very fascinating and came away with a deeper understanding of why my body is reacting the way it is towards aging.

I also enjoyed the way Dr Lipman looks at treating the whole person and not just prescribing medications aimed at the symptoms.

I have every faith that his suggestions for food, movement, sleep and commun
Ariadna73
This is another diet, exercise, meditate, keep-your-hormones-in-balance, it's-not-your-fault book. Basically all the stuff we have read until we can't read any more. Please eat well, please move your ass, be kind to people, keep an eye in your hormones and you microbione. In fact, the part about the microbione is quite interesting, and worth a second look while flying from Las Vegas to, say, Kansas City or Orlando.

This is the cover information of the book I read. The author looks young, healthy
Zee Monodee
Jun 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Good information about health and mostly the whys behind body processes and how food and environment work with it all to make a whole, and how we can address that. Very good guidelines throughout, and if you're new to the health and nutrition arena, this is a perfect book giving you pretty much all the information you need.
However, what grates me in this kind of book is always the 'my method is best and works with everyone' that the author keeps harping on and on about. Sadly, this one didn't ev
Norah Gibbons
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book is more of an infomercial for his be well cleanse product than it is a reliable source of information. Most of what he tells you is common sense... move more ... eat less sugar... take care of your mental health... get the proper amount of sleep. What it really is trying to do is sell you his cleanse program. It will set you back just under $300 (cdn) for 2 weeks. Since our digestive system is wondrous thing it actually doesn't require being cleansed so when ever someone promotes that ...more
Janet
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
So.... it's basically paleo combined with sleep, breathe and move smart advice and then his Buy My Supplements thrown in. Which is always the opposite of Paleo in my mind.
I would recommend It Starts with Food if you are starting with Paleo. The very best explanation of Paleo out there and they don't try to sell you anything.
If it hadn't been for that I would have rated this book higher as most of it is good stuff.

Hmm it's also a little bit pie in the sky for me. Yes eating and living this way w
Laura Reinhardt
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not a diet book, but instead a good look at how our diets and lifestyles can lead us to experience difficulties we associate with aging.
Mary Helene
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, how-to
I skimmed it and was skeptical but in the end i think the fellow has a point or two - or three. It is certainly giving me pause and even changing what I eat.
Mckinley
Oct 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: health, non-fiction
Nutrition - not eating right foods, too many carbs/starches, lacking nutrients
Sleep - not enough
Physical - microboime misfunction, hormonal imbalance, not enough exercise, too stressed, over medicated, not enough "ubuntu" (passion/meaning/community)

Talks about myths and what to do. Plan of 2 week action follows with four week maintenance plan and recipes.
- Cut out processed sugar, cut back on starchy foods, eat healthy fats, eat green leafy vegetables
- take daily probiotic, eat fermented food 3-
Morpheyy
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
An enlightening and helpful book about how to eliminate the symptoms that make you feel old/fat. I was in a very similar situation to one of the patients the author described. However, as mentioned by another reviewer, the meal plans - while very helpful since they come with recipes and shopping lists - will require lots of willpower to implement. They require some ingredients that are difficult to find where I live. But they do sound delicious enough that i would want to attempt, though the big ...more
Jays
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jays by: jaysandrea@hotmail.com
Book
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health, english, self-help
“10 Reasons You Feel Old and Get Fat” written by Dr. Frank Lipman is not a kind of book I usually read. While looking for something else I found this one and went through a bit.

Boy I was hooked after few pages with great mix of helpful advices that can be instantly applied in everyday life – not only about the usual suspects diet and exercise, but also on other aspects of our lives such as sleeping habits, meditation, yoga, vitamins, food supplements.

Nicely written, full of great tips, recipes a
GONZA
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it
It is an interesting book, well written and mostly easy to approach because the tips and suggestion are not so difficult and there are recipes and exercises so it can easily be done. In some cases anyway, also the author suggest to talk to your doctor before changing completely your lifestyle.

Libro interessante, scritto bene e con un approccio semplice che puó essere seguito sia attraverso le ricette che gli esercizi suggeriti. In alcuni casi, come suggerisce anche l'autore, é sempre meglio parl
Sequana
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good description of info I have read in It Starts With Food and The Whole 30, with more emphasis on exercise. The exercise section is hard to follow without a buddy though. Two weeks on an eating plan would not have given me the start I needed. I prefer the Whole 30 plan, though I am still a work in progress and see the possibility of eliminating things this book suggests-caffeine, nightshades and eggs.
Teri
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found this book to have a lot of good advice. While I don't know how many people would follow his Revitalization Program 100%, the advice was still sound. I have put many of the ideas in place without following his program much at all, and am finding success in how much better I feel and the weight I have lost.
Jamie Holloway
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
It seemed like a rehash of a lot of different things that have been around for a long time. I didn't feel encouraged or supported while reading this book. I felt more like I was being lectured and told I was bad because I wasn't doing what he thought was the right thing to do.
Kara Messner
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very informative!

This was a really helpful book on what your body needs to function properly. I highly recommend to anyone searching for health and wellness.
Louis
Jul 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Lots of good info, consolidated in one place, though I had heard most if it before.
Marissa Catania Bishop
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
One to keep in the library as a reference.
Shelly S.
Feb 26, 2016
Annie
Feb 26, 2016
Jessica
rated it did not like it
May 31, 2016
John Suddath
Jun 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Find Your Sweet Spot: A Guide to Personal and Professional Excellence
  • The 3-Season Diet: Eat the Way Nature Intended: Lose Weight, Beat Food Cravings, and Get Fit
  • The Self-Acceptance Project: How to Be Kind and Compassionate Toward Yourself in Any Situation
  • My Mother, Your Mother: Embracing "Slow Medicine," the Compassionate Approach to Caring for Your Aging Loved Ones
  • The Obsession: Reflections on the Tyranny of Slenderness
  • The Emotional Edge: Discover Your Inner Age, Ignite Your Hidden Strengths, and Reroute Misdirected Fear to Live Your Fullest
  • Cooking and Screaming: Finding My Own Recipe for Recovery
  • Paleoista: Gain Energy, Get Lean, and Feel Fabulous With the Diet You Were Born to Eat
  • Holistic Dental Care: The Complete Guide to Healthy Teeth and Gums
  • You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty
  • What the Fork Are You Eating?: An Action Plan for Your Pantry and Plate
  • Faberge's Eggs: The Extraordinary Story of the Masterpieces That Outlived an Empire
  • The Louise Parker Method: Lean for Life
  • Eat Naked: Unprocessed, Unpolluted, and Undressed Eating for a Healthier, Sexier You
  • Vegan Food Gifts: Spread the Vegan Love DIY-Style with 100 Inspired Recipes for Homemade Baked Goods, Preserves, and Other Edible Gifts Everyone Will Love
  • On Bicycles: 50 Ways the New Bike Culture Can Change Your Life
  • Mariel Hemingway's Healthy Living from the Inside Out: Every Woman’s Guide to Real Beauty, Renewed Energy, and a Radiant Life
  • The Dirt Cure: Growing Healthy Kids with Food Straight from Soil
A pioneer in the integrative medicine, Dr Frank Lipman is the founder and director of Eleven-Eleven Wellness Center in New York City, where his personal blend of Western and other medicinal approaches, has helped thousands of people recover their energy and zest for life.

Initially skeptical of any non-traditional approaches to medicine, Lipman had an epiphany during a period of training in the Sou