Start by marking “All Year Round” as Want to Read:
All Year Round

All Year Round

A world of shapes, twelve months abound,
from four-cornered square, to circle, round.

Circle round, ready to roll. Add two sticks, a carrot and coal. (January)
A sporty diamond, player at bat. Bases loaded, tilt your hat. (June)
Triangle treats-pumpkin, peach. Want some pie? Excuse my reach! (November)

Poetic text by Susan B. Katz (ABC Baby Me!, My Mama Earth, ABC School's for
Published January 5th 2016 by Orchard Books

To ask other readers questions about All Year Round, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Year Round

Start your review of All Year Round
Beverly
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pbf-general
Excellent illusrations, and clearly presented shapes, one for each month of the year.
Angelina
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Bright pictures and good for introducing shapes.
Dana
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There is a shape for each season in this brightly colored picture book. From a circle that is part of a snowman in January, to an oval egg in March and a cone for ice cream in August and more, this book is cute and colorful and sure to be a hit with the preschool crowd.
Barbara
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Months, seasons, and shapes. Colorful illustrations will make learning the months of the year and geometric shapes fun for any little one.
Autumn
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
1. Awards received: This book has not received any awards.

2. Appropriate grade level(s): This book is appropriate for preschool to kindergarten.

3. Summary: This book contains verses that associate shapes with each month of the year such as circles that represent the body and head of a snowman in January. Each poem was short and highlighted a shape that was the basis of a picture highlighting an object.

4. I think this book would be good to introduce a few concepts to the class. One being rhyme an
Fatime Cela
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This book has not received any awards, and it would be appropriate for children in PreK-Kindergarten.

The book rhymes its way through the months of the year, associating a shape with each month. For example, February's shape is a heart, for a card you would send a friend.

The book has good rhyme and rhythm, which make it easy for children to follow along with, and enjoyable for them to listen to. It also introduces them to some concepts in a fun way with nice pictures.

This can be used in a clas
Natalie
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, picture-book, bhv
The rhymes are a major stretch (MAJOR), but I love the layout.

To give you an idea, here's the opening rhyme:

A world of shapes,
Twelve months abound,
From four-cornered square,
To circle, round.

I didn't know how the book was set up, so I was actually a teensy bit confused by what it was saying. Then I realized each month had a different shape.

The pictures really are lovely and I admire the big blocky letters.

Would be good for a Kinder class learning shapes. Wouldn't go out of my way to read it to
Emilee (emileereadsbooks)
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun book of shapes and seasons. Will teach kids about the calendar and fun shapes!
Barbara
Simple digital illustrations and lively rhyming text introduce youngsters to the 12 months of the year and various shapes. With a bit of guidance from an adult or older sibling or friend, they will be tempted to try their hand at identifying objects that are in the shape of a circle, a heart, and an oval, among others, and even a figure eight. I'm betting that many readers will want to use construction paper to make some of these shapes for themselves. Having a quick review and self-test at the ...more
Becky
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
First sentence: A world of shapes, twelve months abound, from four-cornered square, to circle, round.
Circle round, ready to roll. Add two sticks, a carrot, and coal. January. Cut out a Heart for a special friend. Write a message, lick, stamp, send. February.

Premise/plot: A picture book teaching TWO concepts. One concept is shapes. The other concept is the months of the year. Each shape shares something about the month. For example, triangle is November's shape. It is the shape of a slice of PIE.
Jillian
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
I feel like this book was maybe a bit too ambitious - it tried to teach shapes and months of the year at the same time, attempting to force shapes to pair with months as a memory device. I'm not sure how well that worked.
Even teaching the shapes wasn't always great, since the shapes weren't always clearly highlighted on the page. The triangle, for example, referred to a single slice of pie on a plate near the page gutter, not the whole pie pictured on the table in the center of the page. The tex
Katie Fitzgerald
I am skeptical about the use of this book to teach basic shapes. The pairings between months and shapes seem arbitrary about half the time and my almost-three-year-old had trouble picking out shapes she knew in the illustrations. (The square box which holds the May flowers was the trickiest one.) I liked the use of shadow in the illustrations, and the rhyming text works fine, so we are keeping it in our repeat read-aloud pile while we have it out of the library, but it's not one we'd check out a ...more
Nena
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read the book ALL YEAR ROUND to my grandchildren and bought copies to give as presents to friends and other new mothers. As a teacher, I KNOW that rhyming is essential to early reading, and that’s exactly why I read Ms Katz’s books aloud to my grandchildren. The content of this book is also a teaching tool. Seasons and shapes are so much a part of young children’s lives, something they can identify with and learn from. I highly recommend ALL YEAR ROUND and other books by Susan B. Katz.
Round Lake Area Public Library
A colorful book with fun, cheerful illustrations, All Year Round will help children learn shapes, colors, and the months of the year!

This book, written by an experienced educator and early literacy consultant, is a great story to read with your little one! The rhyming text and gorgeous illustrations will keep kids interested and help them learn important words that they’ll need for school.
Scott Stabile
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful children's book! What a terrific way for children to learn about shapes and seasons. The rhyme flows effortlessly and the bold illustrations are a perfect complement. I'm a big fan of all of Ms. Katz' books, and this is as light and fun as the others. Perfect for kids!
Miss Sarah
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
each moth of the year is celebrated in shapes. Shapes are used to describe something special for that month like a triangle and circle for ice cream in august. Didn't grab me but good for learning shapes.
Chelsea
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
While I appreciate what this book is trying to do, I do not feel that this book is comprehensive enough. In addition, I believe that the language (rhyming) used poses too confusing for the reader, who is in the beginning stages of learning to read, to comprehend.

+Book
-List
Olivia
Jun 18, 2016 rated it liked it
A colorful rhyming tale that teaches children about shapes and the months of the year. Some of the shape choices were clearly chosen for their seasonal appropriateness and not because of how much they show up in life, like a figure eight and a half circle.
Mary
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
I liked the concept and the illustrations were colorful and bold. However, the rhyming text was pretty weak.
Megan
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Good shapes & seasons book. ...more
Lindsay
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e, fiction, shapes, concepts, baby-e
This will be great to do in baby/toddler story time and make some bags of the shapes to take home.
Bethany
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Walks through the year through shapes of all types that correlate to the seasons or what may happen during the month. Shape names are large on the page but shapes are not as clear.
Heather Jo
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: meggie-list
Sara
Feb 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A cute book, but to use with even K students, shapes have to have their proper names, instead of a diamond, rhombus. Great for pre-K though!
Jen
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Preschoolers and maybe up through 1st grade will enjoy this picture book about the months of the year and different things to celebrate in each one.
Michael Fitzgerald
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Not really awful, but just so dull and mediocre it hurts.
Jill
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really cute book that pairs shapes w/ the months of the year in a clever way. I'm not totally sure if this would work in storytime, but I think it could with the right crowd.
Ali (Ali's Bookshelf )
Mini Me Corner Review will be posted on the blog later this week.
Brindi Michele
good for seasons, shapes, and baseball
Apr 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-with-kids
So the writing is not entirely quality, but the shapes are a good discussion starter/test for young learners. They could have included more shapes but it's a start I guess.

• Minnie: A Walk in the Park
  • Every Color
  • Nine
  • The Noisy Foxes
  • Pepper & Poe
Susan B. Katz is an award-winning, Spanish-bilingual author/illustrator with Scholastic, Penguin Random House, S&S, Bala Kids, Heinemann, Callisto/Rockridge and Barefoot Books. She has ten published books, one of which she wrote in Spanish for Scholastic, and 12 more books coming out in 2020/2021 with Simon & Schuster, Heinemann and Rockridge Press! MEDITATION STATION, a picture book about trains ...more