Start by marking “The Power of Point of View: Make Your Story Come to Life” as Want to Read:
The Power of Point of View: Make Your Story Come to Life

The Power of Point of View: Make Your Story Come to Life

Every Character Has a Voice

Point of view isn't just an element of storytelling–when chosen carefully and employed consistently in a work of fiction, it is the foundation of a captivating story.

It's the character voice you can hear as clearly as your own. It's the unique worldview that intrigues readers–persuading them to empathize with your characters and invest in their t
Published March 11th 2008 by Writer's Digest Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Point of View, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Point of View

Alicia Rasley
Oct 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this, and would be glad to talk about it. My blog about writing and editing is http://www.edittorrent.blogspot.com, so meet me there! Also lots of my articles about writing are archived at www.rasley.com.
Thanks.

Alicia
Felipe Lerma
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Understanding my creativity as levels within one point of view.

I'd read and thought about this book for several months, pretty much thinking it was "4 stars" for not having enough examples to get it's ideas about pov across well enough for me to consciously apply them.

Then very recently, pondering over a rare negative but constructive review of one of my fiction pieces, I think I finally got it.

One of the complaints was about some of the language (esp expressive thoughts and perceptions) being o
Ahmad Sharabiani
The power of point of view: make your story come to life, Alicia Rasley
The Power of Point of View goes beyond simply defining the various POV options and shows readers how to use POV to enhance and tie together all other story components The difference between a pedestrian telling of a story and a powerful telling is in how the point of view is handled. A well-written story is one in which the author allows POV to guide not just how the plot develops, but how the story--the merging of plot and c
Jasmina
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I’ll tell you how much I like this book:

Someone enters my study with his jolly stride and rosy cheeks, his summer curls bouncing around a friendly face. He asks if he could have a look at THE book.

I look at him and leave my work on the side. I’m knitting a sweater. Without taking my eyes off him I stand up. Slowly. I stand now stone-hearted, my hands are on the sides, ready. The small trembles of my fingers are the only movement of my body. I hold my breath.

Suddenly, with the speed of a crazy co
Katherine Trail
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book. I'm a fiction editor, working mainly with self-publishing authors, and I ALWAYS recommend this book to clients. It's extremely comprehensive, but doesn't fall into the trap of being dry or dull. If you're interested in writing fiction, I'd strongly recommend reading this book first. Even if you are an experienced writer, I bet you will learn something from it!
Debra Daniels-zeller
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, writing
Excellent tips on improving POV characters. It's interesting to read, considering POV. This is a great resource to keep on the shelf to improve any aspect of Point of View, filled with tips and examples, it's a tool both seasoned and new writers would appreciate.
Analiesa Adams
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
A must read for the writer. Very clear examples and direction on how to not get caught into the trap of the point of view merry-go-round.
John Bond
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some good tips on writing.
Katrin Gertsen
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall very interesting and useful
Bill
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing-how-to
One Person’s Point of View.

Rasley, Alicia. (2008). The Power of Point of View. Cincinnati, OH: Writer’s Digest Books.

When people hear or read a story, they want to know two things: What happens? And they want to know, Who is telling the story? That second question concerns point of view. If somebody is telling you a tale, whether around a campfire or over a cup of tea, it is important to know who this stoyteller is, what their attitudes are, and how they came to know of the events reported. In a
Nancy Butts
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the second time I've read this, and I think it's the best book available on viewpoint for writers. Rasley parses POV in a way I've never seen before. For example, she divides omniscient narration into three categories: objective, classical omniscient, and contemporary omniscient—all of which are different from distant third. Interesting. I don't always agree with her, especially in her application of voice and viewpoint to children's books. [Though I love the Narnia chronicles, I most em ...more
Bart
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-craft
This is probably the best book on the craft that I've read so far. It takes one subject, POV, and tells you everything you need to know about it. It shows what POV is, and what kinds of POV there are. It shows, for every kind of POV, what the advantages and disadvantages are of using that kind of POV, the dangers of using that kind of POV and gives several tips for writing in that kind of POV. All this is done in a very clear way with many great examples.
Most of all, this book makes clear that
Dana
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended to me by a group member when I posted a thread on multiple points of view and I'm glad I took up his suggestion. Well-written and comprehensive, "The Power of Point of View" covers the basics right through to the intricacies of "voice". As I'm currently writing a novel from a multiple of view, I found the last section "The Master Class" invaluable. I highly recommend it to all writers as it goes to show that the more you know the more there is to learn.
Christy
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing-skills
Every Character Has a VoicePoint of view isn't just an element of storytelling�when chosen carefully and employed consistently in a work of fiction, it is the foundation of a captivating story.

It's the character voice you can hear as clearly as your own. It's the unique worldview that intrigues readers�persuading them to empathize with your characters and invest in their t...more
Lisa Eckstein
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was so excited to read a book by someone who is more geeky about point of view than I am, because most writing guides don't cover the topic in nearly enough depth. Rasley analyzes each possible narrative perspective and discusses when it might be appropriate for a story. Highly recommended if that sounds exciting to you, too.
Heather
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
*3.5 Stars*
May Koliander
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very clear and detailed. Got a lot out of it especially as POV has always puzzled me !
Jeffrey Rasley
Oct 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great examples for novices and multi-published writers. Deeply thoughtful and insightful about understanding POV.
Shelley
Nov 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Read it in parts; the writing exercises were very helpful.
Carole
Feb 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If you write fiction or just love to read it well, a must-have book. Buy it, re-read it, take a master's class in the art and mystery of point of view. Brilliant.
Miranda Honfleur
A very strong overview of POV, with a thorough and useful section on character voice to which I refer again and again. Highly recommended for new and experienced writers.
Nourddine Boughaba
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jillian
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013, lady-authors
I got this as a half-assed gift and didn't have the highest expectations, but it was decent for what it does.
Bob
Dawn Silver
Dec 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Between the Lines: Master the Subtle Elements of Fiction Writing
  • Conflict, Action and Suspense (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Making Your Novel Stand Out and Succeed
  • Novelist's Essential Guide to Crafting Scenes
  • Breathing Life Into Your Characters: How to Give Your Characters Emotional & Psychological Depth
  • What Would Your Character Do?
  • Dialogue: Techniques and exercises for crafting effective dialogue
  • The Writer's Digest Sourcebook for Building Believable Characters
  • Dynamic Characters: How to Create Personalities That Keep Readers Captivated
  • The Complete Handbook Of Novel Writing: Everything You Need To Know About Creating & Selling Your Work (Writers Digest)
  • Emotional Structure: Creating the Story Beneath the Plot: A Guide for Screenwriters
  • Story Structure Architect
  • How to Write a Damn Good Thriller: A Step-by-Step Guide for Novelists and Screenwriters
  • Description & Setting
  • Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go
  • Plot Versus Character: A Balanced Approach to Writing Great Fiction
  • Write-A-Thon: Write Your Book in 26 Days (and Live to Tell about It)