Start by marking “Izakaya: The Japanese Pub Cookbook” as Want to Read:
Izakaya: The Japanese Pub Cookbook

Izakaya: The Japanese Pub Cookbook

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  212 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Japanese pubs, called izakaya, are attracting growing attention in Japan and overseas. As a matter of fact, a recent article in The New York Times claimed that the izakaya is starting to shove the sushi bar off its pedestal. While Japan has many guidebooks and cookbooks, this is the first publication in English to delve into every aspect of a unique and vital cornerstone o ...more
Published May 1st 2008 by Kodansha

To ask other readers questions about Izakaya, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Izakaya

Aug 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite Japanese restaurants is the izakaya, the Japanese pub where you enjoy light foods with a variety of drinks, all in a relaxed and easygoing atmosphere. Izakaya food has gotten a bad reputation due to the prevalence of cheap chain stores around stations. For the real izakaya experience you have to hunt for the individualistic places where the cook still cooks with fresh ingredients, standing behind the counter, and where usually the choice of sakes is excellent as well. Izakaya, ...more
Nov 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up by chance when I was looking for Thanksgiving cookbooks (a bit off I know, but I love to browse the cookbook section at the library). Fantastic and fascinating primer for those wanting to learn to cook Japanese pub food for dinner parties and such, and those wanting the history and culture behind Izakayas. The recipes for the most part I personally wouldn't have eaten, based on availability of ingredients or the fact they liked to eat offal, eel or wakame (definitely all re ...more
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything that was wrong with the last Izukaya cookbook I just read, is RIGHT with this one. So very, very right.

A small, but deliberate variety, of real life pubs in Japan explained, explored, and consumed: from origin to ambience.

Utterly authentic and yet written with a foreigner's point of view (who clearly has a deep appreciation of the culture). The opening paragraphs have to pull you in or you have no business reading this book. I say that as a shameless visual reader who often skips tex
Dec 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, cookbooks
My favorite kind of food is izakaya, which is something like Japanese tapas. I love going out to eat and sampling a little bit of this and a little bit of that. As they say, "variety is the spice of life"! When you attempt to order a range of dishes in most restaurants, the portions end up being too much and your bill ends up astronomical. Not too mention, the raised eyebrows from the food servers as they size me up and look at my eight-dish order, exclaiming "This is too much food!" Hey, I'm pa ...more
Paul Comeau
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Great recipes, idea wise. Shows the various types of Japanese pub food options from classic to fancy.

Recipes need a lot of interpretation... e.g. the potato salad calls for 3 Tb ginger pickles w/ liquid. Does that mean 3 Tb veg and liquid together? 3 Tb veg, then add the pickling liquid. Further confused by the ginger pickle recipe which only has 1 Tb of veg in it.

Or the fry chicken in 350 C (175 C) temp oil?? Kinda a major typo...

Add to that my standard dings for cookbooks (vague amo
Jun 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a really cool book. Part cookbook, part cultural journey into the heart of 8 traditional Japanese Pubs (Izakaya), their chefs, staff, customers and food. Fascinating stuff, makes me want to go back to Japan just to eat. According to the author, Izakaya food will (or should) be the "next Tapas bars" in American cities. I recently learned that the first two have opened in Seattle, so he may be right.
Robert Hudder
May 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Izakaya is a Japanese bar with tapas. Grabbed a few recipes from here as the author describes a few relevant restaurants and what makes them so unique. Reminded me that I wanted to review Sauce on Danforth's food menu. Also, thinking about do a speak easy themed party this year. Anyways, the recipes look easy enough to do but some of them will require scouring the city for the ingredients or just a quick trip to Markham.

Anyways. Good but no room on my shelves for this one.
Mar 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Since I'm a vegetarian most of these recipes I passed by, however I did find an interesting recipe for miso-cured tofu that I think could be a good cheese substitute, however it takes two years (yes years) to fully cure so I have yet to see how it will turn out.
I also appreciated a couple other recipes but I think this book is mostly for you meat lovers out there.
Dec 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic cook book - haven't had a chance to try out the recipes, but they look interesting, unique and well thought out. I really like the chapter structure. The author separates each chapter into a food or drink theme and attaches that to a particular Izakaya. I don't buy books often, but I'd love to have this one on my shelf.
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Yum! This book has some beautiful pictures and descriptions, and I can't wait to try the recipes. I just wish Izakaya (like all food in Japan) was more vegetarian friendly. Still, definitely an enjoyable read!
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of Izakaya (Japanese Pub) love sitting at the bar watching the food being cooked & drinking my face off. This book was very well done some beautiful recipes & the writing paint a pic of how the atmosphere in a izakaya.
Nov 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: diycookbooks
3.5 stars. I found the info about Japanese pub culture more fascinating than the recipes. I know its pub food, but for some reason I was anticipating less deep fried foods.
Fresno Bob
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
More izakaya primer than cookbook, it made me hungry and miss Tokyo
Apr 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
Great recipes, and a real feel for how these establishments work and feel.
William Lubold
Jul 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very informative and challenging. I'm always looking for ideas to steal, and this book had plenty.
Degan Walters
  • Beyond the Great Wall: Recipes and Travels in the Other China
  • Thai Street Food
  • On the Line
  • Irish Traditional Cooking: Over 300 Recipes from Ireland's Heritage
  • Patricia Wells at Home in Provence: Recipes Inspired By Her Farmhouse In France

Nonfiction Deals