Start by marking “Adios, Cowboy” as Want to Read:
Adios, Cowboy

Adios, Cowboy

A gritty, breakneck debut novel by a popular Croatian writer of the country’s “lost generation”

Dada’s life is at a standstill in Zagreb—she’s sleeping with a married man, working a dead-end job, and even the parties have started to feel exhausting. So when her sister calls her back home to help with their aging mother, she doesn’t hesitate to leave the city behind. But she
Published March 1st 2016 by McSweeney's (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Adios, Cowboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adios, Cowboy

Start your review of Adios, Cowboy
Hannah
Apr 26, 2020 rated it liked it
3 Stars - Good book

This is such an interesting and unusual book. I’ve never read anything quite like it and yet I would say the general plot (daughter returns home to her mom and sister years after her father died and brother committed suicide) isn’t revolutionary.

Despite the title containing the word cowboy, I did not expect the book’s language and story to contain so much about the cowboy/Indian theme. It’s fascinating although I found it jarring and never quite got used to it all. It wasn’t
Melissa
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dada has grown up in a small town in Croatia from which she escaped as soon a she could at the age of eighteen. But she is drawn back to this bizarre town by the horrible suicide of her younger brother, Daniel. The book is told from Dada’s point of view and we are given information about her life and hometown as Dada remembers it. She speaks of memory being like a tape that “rolls forward and backwards. Fw-stop-rew-stop-rec-play-stop, it stops at important places, some images flicker dimly froze ...more
Rebecca
In summer 2009, Dada (aka Rusty) returns to her Croatian hometown to care for her mother, who, her sister reports, has become increasingly dependent on Valium, sleeping pills and alcohol. Back in Zagreb she’d been working as a photographer for a website that rips off other people’s stories and sleeping with someone else’s husband. Going home means abandoning that secondhand life and facing up to the fact of her brother’s death – when he was 18 he threw himself under a train. “One has to sit down ...more
Jordan
Jul 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
Honestly, I am blown away by the 3.79 grading that this book is receiving. Although Savicevic uses an abundance of words she never says anything. I could not tell you one thing that happened in this book. It was as if some very unremarkable person with an equally unremarkable life, pocket-dialed you and left a voicemail that was equivalent to 200+ pages. It felt like torture slogging through this.

I don't think I could convey how much I disliked this book. Just terrible. Awesome cover artwork, t
Joseph Schreiber
A deeply personal piece of unfinished business draws Dada, the spirited heroine of Farewell, Cowboy, from the towers of Zagreb, back to the grimy streets of her hometown on the shores of the Adriatic in this debut novel from Croatian poet and writer Olja Savičević. Once she arrives her first task is to relieve her older sister of the responsibility of keeping track of their mother who seems to be surviving on a routine of pharmaceuticals, soap operas and bi-weekly treks to the cemetery to visit ...more
J.J. Amaworo
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in a dreary town on the Adriatic coast, the novel follows the heroine Dada as she tries to find out why her younger and much-loved brother Daniel threw himself under a train a few years earlier.

The tone of disillusionment and decay shrouds the book like a fog hanging over a sea: the country is recovering from the Balkan Wars of the 1990s; Dada is listless after a relationship breakdown; and her family is struggling to live with the trauma of Daniel’s death.

The “plot" comes a distant second t
Phil
Farewell, Goodbye sees the main character Dada return to her family home in Croatia to see her sister and her mother and on a search for the truth of why her brother had died. Also returning to the village is the vet who lived next door to which her brother Daniel had died. The cowboy in the detail being a reference to her brothers like of western movies along with their predeceased father who died at a young age, a film lover who worked first in the cinema then at a video shop.

As a crossover t
Ronan Mcdonnell
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A powerful, moving but curious book.
Everything is fractured, broken and split(!) apart. The reasons behind the suicide, the town in which it is set, the purpose of any character's actions, the narrative and order. Everything jumps in and out of focus, and nothing is ever quite right.
And this is a fitting way to tell a story set in a town so forgotten, so depressed, that it holds its own back; the only way to leave it, let alone have a chance to succeed, is to leave. But the town draws the narra
Richard Wu
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
I picked this up after reading an excerpt from the McSweeney's website, and because it had an interesting title.

I'm not quite sure if anything happens in this book. Though Savičević uses many words, she conveys little. The characters are flat, archetypal, forgettable; whatever semblance of plot feels forced. Reading this sapped my energy - imagine the mental fog that accompanies getting out of bed in the morning, or wandering around in a literal fog and having no idea which direction is which. I
Marina Sofia
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
An interesting, no-holds-barred and at times almost unbearably sad portrayal of the generation most affected by the war in Yugoslavia and trying to make a life after and in spite of it all. Yet, unexpectedly, the language and insights are not high-flown and dramatic, but rendered with a clear-eyed, almost cynical and mocking tone of a younger generation.
Hana
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One sister's poetic and sometimes less poetic search for the meaning of her brother's intentional death - suicide.Voyage through the other side of the touristic mediterranean coastal town, through the places more distanced from the sea, but closer to the hills, stones, sidewalks, ground.
Malcolm
Dada, on her first visit home in several years and brought back by her mother’s illness, finds herself drawn into an inquiry, her inquiry, into her younger brother’s suicide several years earlier. On that basis this sounds a bleak book, made more so when (if you know the area) you might realise that although set around Split, it is far from the glossy tourist part, or the lush beaches running south toward the resorts, but in the bleak, economically side-lined parts north of the city toward the a ...more
Jake Goretzki
Aug 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
An odd, rather patchworky little novel - part Dalmatian coming of age, then a peculiar switch to Ned Montgomery filming a cowboy film (or maybe I was too distracted this week).

Some fine observations of Balkan living and neighbourhood life (I love the line about their fathers being 'men with heart attacks in their chests'). Pretty seamless translation from SSEES legend Celia Hawksworth - give or take a few oddities (not sure about her use of the Geordie-or-Belfast-sounding 'yous').

The pull quot
Tony Matthews
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this on holiday in Croatia. Very good, personal story.
Katie Sue
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious, yet tragic. A literary thrill about home, journeys, and the definition of an individual.
Derrick Trimble
Okay, this was not a book I'd normally pick up nor read. But I was travelling to Croatia and wanted to read a work by a Croatian author. I quickly came to an awareness that I don't generally read works by women authors. Let alone works by contemporary authors. Farewell Cowboy was out of my comfort zone on several levels.

But I enjoyed it nonetheless. I just can't say why.

The writing style is mainly first person and a bit jumpy. Perhaps not so much jumpy as just internal the scattered thinking of
Ismael
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I believe that the artistic and cultural value of this book can be much better than what I got, but unfortunately the translation does not live up to the expectations. To be honest, the work of the translator seems thorough and she indeed put a huge effort on this book, yet there seems to be something missing in the prose that isn't easily projected into the English work.

That said, I did appreciate the insights on the Croatian culture and I believe this is an author to keep an eye on.
Ester Elbert
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Meh.
Full of beautiful sentences but the constant change of prospective and time threw me off. I understand that memories come and go randomly but this was too much and confusing.
Also it felt like I was reading of nothing. Nothing major happened, nor big discoveries were made.
I liked learning about croatian way of life and culture though....
Mark Ludmon
An intriguing insight into the lives of people living in a dusty town on the outskirts of Split in the aftermath of the Yugoslav War. It is told through a young woman returning to her home town to find out more about the death of her brother. Fragmentary and poetic, it sometimes loses focus but it is full of memorable scenes and details.
Lisa
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
I found the first section, Eastern, hard to follow. The author/translator makes grammatical (?) choices that muddy the forward progression. Western is stronger; the prose is simplified slightly and the final images are incredible. I didn’t find much in Farewell. Overall, great plot, uneven and frustrating stylings.
Priya
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended by a friend, I found Adios, Cowboy to be well written with a melancholic edge. The language, at times verges on the fantastic. I enjoyed the book, even though at times the seemingly off tangent description pulled us away from the main narrative.
Adam
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
The writing itself was beautiful, with sharp and poignant sentences, but the combination of those sentences didn’t create a story for me. Actually, I don’t think I even know what happened. Like, at all. Serious, what’s this book about?
Hannah Werkland
3.5 - the cowboys confused me for a while
Meran
I gave it 2.5 stars.

I loved the Chernobyl joke the mother tells: "[a] woman… gave birth to one child with three fathers."
[Is this a novel or a memoir?]

The narrator's brother has died; there was "an incident" involving many of the local boys, including the brother, at the veterinarian's home, after which the vet left town, presumable far away. After which, all the boys involved found death in diverse, non-suspicious ways. (This has all happened before the narrative.)

The town graffiti was very int
Jaimie Lau
Dec 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Enjoyable but definitely not for the main character, Dada. She did seem to have a clear direction as a character and her motivations were not apparent. Whether her reason for returning was investigating what happened to her brother or to take care of her mother, neither of these are in the forefront of her mind and it becomes easy for the reader to lose connection with her during the book. The tone of the book is on the depressive side and it is only towards the end when the reader is released f ...more
Book Riot Community
Dada is not living her best life. She's at a dead-end job, her boyfriend is married, and things just aren't as fun as they used to be. When her sister calls Dada home to help care for their ailing mother, she thinks it will be a refreshing change of scenery, but what she finds there isn't much better. Determined to help herself and her family by facing the ghosts of the past, Dada sets off to uncover how her long-dead brother spent his last days. Adios, Cowboy is a funny yet serious novel about ...more
Nathan
May 27, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a beautifully written, though distracted story about family and community survival in a war-torn corner of the world. Certain passages are more engaging than others, and the structure seems a bit disjointed. It would have worked better with a linear telling, though I suppose the disjointedness has poetic purpose. I'm not familiar with Slavic stories or writers, so maybe there is something lost in translation. That said, I liked the book, but not invested to speed through this lovely litt ...more
Graham Oliver
Edit, review: http://therumpus.net/2016/02/adios-co...

Official review up later, but basically the book has amazing language and the prose is just really smart. I'm especially a fan of how it's firmly aware of the modern digital world without making a spectacle of it (most books either ignore it or push it to the front too much).

However, the plot isn't doing much work at all, especially in the first half of the book.
Carlito
Nov 07, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nice attempt, but I'm not impressed.

k.

• Ciganin, ali najljepši
  • Črna mati zemla
  • Poštovani kukci i druge jezive priče
  • Brdo
  • Schindlerov lift
  • Blizina svega
  • Istanbul Istanbul
  • Fafarikul
Writes poetry, prose, columns. Author of several poetry collections and books.

Lives in Split, Croatia.