Start by marking “Servant of the Crown (The Crown of Tremontane #1)” as Want to Read:
Servant of the Crown (The Crown of Tremontane #1)

Read Book

Servant of the Crown (The Crown of Tremontane #1)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  2,429 Ratings  ·  218 Reviews
Alison Quinn, Countess of Waxwold, is content with her bookish life—until she’s summoned to be a lady-in-waiting to the Queen of Tremontane’s mother for six months. Even the prospect of access to the Royal Library doesn’t seem enough to make up for her sacrifice, but Alison is prepared to do her service to the Crown. What she’s not prepared for is Prince Anthony North, Que ...more
Published July 15th 2015 by Night Harbor Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Servant of the Crown, please sign up.
Monika Well, that depends on what you think a ya book should have in it, this one barely has any gruesome violence and the sexual scenes are just a little…moreWell, that depends on what you think a ya book should have in it, this one barely has any gruesome violence and the sexual scenes are just a little bit graphic, but nothing that would categorize it as an adult book or anything, and it definitely isn't middle grade qualified, so I would say yes it is a ya type. (less)

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
4.5 stars. Oh my gosh this was lovely and I had so many feels. I loved it so much more than I expected to- and it was nothing like I thought it would be.

But a few words of precaution- this is a historical fiction / romance and there's really no plot outside of the romance until the second half (which I personally loved). The pacing is fairly slow (which I didn't mind - it totally worked for the story...) but if you're looking for something fast and magical, this book is not for you. It kind rem
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great comfort read if you like romance-oriented fantasy. Plus a library! This fantasy world (or more specifically, this country in this fantasy world) has kind of a Victorian era vibe to it, with just a little magic.

2016 update: I'm bumping this up to 5 stars on reread. This is one of my favorite fantasy romances; I keep pulling it back open again every few months. It just hits all the right buttons for me, and for that it gets all the stars.

Review originally posted on www.fantasyliterature.com:
Sherwood Smith
Wow. I have houseguests, and deadlines, and my own work, and yet I kept stealing time away from all of those to come back and read a few more pages of this book.

Alison is a countess who works as an editor of a bookseller/publisher somewhat on the nineteenth century model. She and her dad are book enthusiasts, so when a summons from the queen of Tremontaine comes for Alison, requiring her to report for duty as a lady in waiting to the queen mother for six months, Alison drags herself reluctantly
Melindam
2.5 stars notched up to 3 because the 2nd half of the book saves the day.

1st Part: very slow-pace with an aggravating & overdramatic romance-plot,
2nd Part: finally the story picks up speed we get to the political intrigue and some much-needed action.

This book had great potential but the 1st half drowns itself in its useless melodrama. I am really sorry, for I wanted to like it as I am a sucker for library/book-stories.

Alison is introduced as a heroine after my own heart: brook-no-nonsens
Alissa
Jan 23, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-ebooks
Mh, no. The premise is interesting and I can't resist the lure of book-related things in my reads, but this one sadly fell short on all accounts. Flat cookie-cutter characters, little worldbuilding, no momentum, unbelievable behaviors, a thin plot, the word "blotchy" repeated 24 times to describe the heroine's lone mundane feature -her cheeks when flustered- unremarkable writing...at least the descriptions were nice.

The main character is so beautiful and wealthy and titled that all the men she e
Jacob Proffitt
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, romance
April 2017 reread
An audiobook version of this was released this month and my daughter (who uses my Audible account) asked if we could get it. Well that's a duh, as audiobooks are about the only way she'll actually read her mother's novels. Anyway, I was curious how the production turned out so I downloaded it to pick up a few minutes to see. And then spent a full day or so binge-listening. Yup, still my favorite. And the reader, Gemma Dawson, does an excellent job.

July 2015 original review
This i
Melissa McShane
Dec 29, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I sort of wish I had this book to write over again. It was the third book I wrote and I was still learning--still am learning, of course--but there are things I would have done differently. Originally, all there was to the story was Alison and Anthony's relationship, right up until the end of the first part; the story of the Library came later, when it was clear there needed to be more to make this a full book. Alison was always meant to be hampered by social anxieties, not hating being beautifu ...more
L.R.W. Lee
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you loved Seraphina for the fantasy mixed with political intrigue, I recommend this book! While there are no dragons, the mix of a strong heroine, dynamic characters, and excellent writing is sure to satisfy.

See my full review on my blog at http://blog.lrwlee.com/2015/09/02/my-...
Emily ~ Enchanted With Words
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
*4.5 stars*
Oh my gooooosh this book was SO good!!! I loved it!!!!
Linda
I'm going to preface this review by saying that I wanted to like this book so badly. I mean, it's billed as a mix of regency-style romance novel, high fantasy, and library politics, so obviously I bought it on release day. Unfortunately, while this was an inventive book, it was throttled by its own melodrama, and I was left to watch the death throes of what had the potential to have been a really smart book.

There is a lot to like about Servant of the Crown. It's set in an industrializing high fa
mich
This is quite possibly the most boring romance ever written ever. Maybe if there was anything else going on in the story besides the romance (anything- like Anthony having a pet bunny that speaks with a French accent or something, ANYTHING!), then maybe I would try to finish it. But there is literally NOTHING ELSE GOING ON IN THE STORY.

Lame, man. DNF @ around 40% ish
Tandie
Apr 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Tandie by: Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
I think I enjoyed the political intrigue more than the romance. Heroine was constantly whining about how all men only wanted her for her hot body, good looks, title, and money. Any compliment or look from a man made her jump to the conclusion that he was a dirty pervert.

Prince Anthony did make a drunken inappropriate comment during a dance & was slapped. He redeemed himself and turned out to be lovely. MC overreacted & punished him toward the end and it was waaaaay dragged out.

I did li
Mara
Sep 07, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Please, let me start this review with an apology to the author and a request for her and her family to skip reading my words. They are blunt, maybe unnecessarily so. So, please, avoid it at all.
[The use of please is the british one, not the american. It's really a plea...:)]

Expectations are a bitch. I believe we all agree on this. So they may be one of the reasons this novel and I disagreed on many points.
I'm probably wrong, but I don't think I had that many expectations, except those the blur
Sónia Salgado
I won't make this a long one because I'm so disappointed. I'm a romance sucker, I don't need an elaborate plot to find a book really interesting, as long as the book is well written and the characters compelling. Alison is conceited and elitist, she believes she's better than everyone else because she's oh so cultured. She's not like the other girls. Oh please. I love strong female protagonists, even cocky ones, but I couldn't get past Alison's elitism. This is the first book I've DNFed, hopeful ...more
Jana Brown
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Note: The author is a friend of mine and I read this both as a beta reader and then again as an ARC. All opinions are mine alone and she didn't even give me cookies to say nice things.

Review:

Servant of the Crown is not a perfect book, but it's pretty darn close. It's a beautifully told story of romance intertwined with political plotting and learning to overcome the baggage of the past.

I've already informed Melissa McShane that I am the number one fangirl of this book and the others in this seri
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
Servant of the Crown was a highly enjoyable read. It was more romance than fantasy. The setting was interesting and one I enjoyed being immersed in. I fell in love with all the main characters and properly despised the villains. The writing was excellent as was the pacing. It's definitely a series I will be following.

I felt as I read that I was being introduced to a new world that was a mix of historical England and futuristic/almost-steampunk. Old traditions were mixed with new. Royalty mixed w
Roslyn
Jun 23, 2015 added it
Shelves: want-to-read
I enjoyed Servant of the Crown very much and through most of it, couldn’t put it down. The novel intertwines a romance with political intrigue with a fantasy world background (albeit hinted at rather than fully depicted). I loved the steampunk, semi-Victorian feel of the novel. The central characters are vividly created: I was intrigued by Alison (an editor Countess called to the palace to act as a lady-in-waiting) Anthony (the rakish prince), Princess Zara and the Dowager. The author takes us ...more
Tari
Jul 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: newest
I found this book to be very well written. I did enjoy it, most of the time.

The first 40%, felt like a Romance novel. The word BEAUTIFUL was overused. Although tedious at times, I stuck with it & found that overall the story was rewarding.

Once the action began to pick up, at around 45%, the pace of the book picked up & most of the remainder of the book was enjoyable.

I'm not sure this book is quite a fantasy. The Steampunk aura was a little lame in several places.
It seemed to me that t
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
I've heard that some women can really hold grudges, but wowwwwwwwww! The main characters are in their early to mid-twenties and therefore still of an age to make bad choices with little consequence...except that they're nobility and royalty in some cases. So, I can see why it would be difficult to forget an indiscretion or two, but this heroine refused to forgive and let bygones be bygones, despite what it might mean for her eventual happiness. I really began to question if she'd even relent by ...more
L.P. Logan
This is the perfect summer read, nice and easy with a happily ever after love story. If you have a pool bag, throw it in there. You wont be disappointed!
Lona
Jul 09, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, steampunk
Lols. These characters did a complete 180 within one chapter...and it was like the third chapter of the book. This book is trying way too hard and the characters do not feel real at all. I am really disappointed to say that I am DNFing this one, especially considering how much I loved Melissa McShane's other book, Burning Bright! But alas, I refuse to waste my time on this...
Aeron Trahaearn
LET ME EXPLAIN HOW I FELT ABOUT THIS BOOK IN GIF:-
first 20%....

it was sooooo boring...i mean i dont give a shit about some dumb countess who loves books!!!!

....30%....

Seriously all she is going on is about the guys ogling her for her money, body and title....did i mention body?? SHE IS SERIOUSLY SELF ABSORBED!!

30-50%...

seriously I was relieved to finally have them have a relationship....but my experience was destroyed because the author (who had undoubtedly taken a leave of her senses) had alre
Julie Barnson
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love looking at local authors and trying to find THE BOOK- the one gem that everyone should read and I should buy many copies and give them away as presents because I KNOW it's great.

THIS IS THE BOOK! I loved this book! I was excited to get an early copy of this book! The romance is great, the politics are intense, and I had a hard time putting it down. The man in the romance is often portrayed as perfect- more handsome, more smart, more competent than the woman. She has to confront her own i
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5 stars. I know I said I'd stop reading YA fantasy, but my hold came in for Servant of the Crown, and it was a book I had requested that the library purchase in the first place, so...okay. Besides, the main character Alison Quinn, Countess of Waxwold, is a bookish, prickly, reserved person. She sounded pretty good to me.

I think my biggest issue with this book is structural. The first half is a romance with some token fantasy trappings. I'm not a romance reader. I enjoy a slow burn, background
A
free copy received from the author in exchange for an honest review :)

I was going a little bit back and forth with my rating for this book... but ultimately I landed on full 5 stars... there may have been tiny things that bothered me a little but to be honest, I absolutely enjoyed so many parts of this story, that the good things won ;) not to mention that I was very pleasently surprised by some turns of events or reactions of certain characters... but I will get into more details in my full rev
Molly Blue
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
So the MC is sooooo beautiful and her figure is sooooo fine that men just can't control their inferior instinct-driven nature around her and constantly trying to get her into bed with them. But she has one flaw, her skin gets blotchy when she blushes or cries, so it's okay, we don't have to hate her. Of course even when it's supposedly blotchy, everyone still says she is beautiful and stuff, but hey, she has a flaw! Guess what, I still hate her. She is judgemental and presumptuous, thinks too mu ...more
ala
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Maybe 2.5 stars... I found this one a little dull and the heroine a little whiny, but over all not too bad for a romance novel.

The premise is that a countess is called to court to be a lady in waiting to the queen's mother. She has very little patience with men, due to a history of them only wanting her a) title b) wealth or c) body (or some combination of the three). Never-the-less, against her better judgement, she ends up falling for the prince, who at first seems like all the other men, the
Danya
The subject: Alison, the Countess of Waxwold, as she navigates the political challenges of being Royal Librarian, and the emotional challenges of falling in love.

The setting: the kingdom of Tremontane, and in particular, the palace there. I kinda liked that we were shown the decisions Alison had to make around running a Royal Library; while it wasn't especially thrilling, it was neat that these daily realities were considered.

Shutter speed: Unpredictable. The first third or so of the book focus
Sharessa
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
There was very little likelihood that I want going to like this book. It had me at intelligent young noble woman reluctantly goes to a palace and gets to be a royal librarian in a semi-magical kingdom.
Rose
Sep 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5 Stars

The Servant of the Crown is a steampunk Victorian-esque fantasy, that follows Alison, the Countess of Waxwold. Alison is required to leave her managing position at a prominent publishing company and her duties to Waxowold due a summons to serve in Court for six months. However, following her debut at court and duties as a lady-in-waiting, Alison slaps the Prince at a public event when he makes advances towards her. This leads to Anthony and Alison being forced into each other'
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Aug 24, 2015 04:31PM
Book Giveaways: Servant of the Crown Giveaway! 1 19 Jul 09, 2015 06:51AM
  • Ours is Just a Little Sorrow
  • Change of Heart (Lobster Cove, #1)
  • The Spirit Heir (A Dance of Dragons, #2)
  • A French Diva in New York (The French Girl #4)
  • Attractive Nuisance (Legally in Love #2)
  • Broken Arrow (Suncoast Society, #22)
  • Firebrand
  • Betrothed
  • A Timeless Romance Anthology: California Dreamin' Collection
  • Power of the Matchmaker
  • The Vagabond Vicar
  • The Sheriffs of Savage Wells
  • Autumn Masquerade
  • The Curse Giver
  • Last Stand (The Black Mage, #4)
  • Deception's Princess (Deception's Princess, #1)
  • Soul Fire (The Soul Trilogy, #1)
  • Thrill of the Chase (City Shifters: the Pride, #1)
Melissa grew up a nomad, following her family all over the United States, and ended up living in the shadow of the Wasatch Mountains with her husband, four kids, and three very needy cats. Her love of reading was always a constant during those uncertain years, and her love of writing grew out of that. She wrote reviews and critical essays for many years before turning to fiction, and was surprised ...more
More about Melissa McShane

The Crown of Tremontane (3 books)
  • Rider of the Crown (The Crown of Tremontane #2)
  • Agent of the Crown (The Crown of Tremontane, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Twilight / Life and Death (Twilight, #1, 1.75)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
  • The Last
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Thousandth Floor (The Thousandth Floor, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3)
  • Red Country
  • The Historian
  • The Girl Who Drank the Moon
    $15.95 $1.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
“It gives me pleasure to walk through a room full of books and know that one of them might be the next story I fall in love with.” 7 likes
“it’s because you’re a different person, every time you re-read a book, and you learn things your earlier self wouldn’t have noticed or wouldn’t have cared about. Or sometimes it’s just because the story is an old favorite, and it’s a comforting reminder of good things.” 6 likes