Start by marking “New Order: A Decluttering Handbook for Creative Folks (and Everyone Else)” as Want to Read:
New Order: A Decluttering Handbook for Creative Folks (and Everyone Else)

New Order: A Decluttering Handbook for Creative Folks (and Everyone Else)

Can a decluttered space fuel a creative mind? Heck yes, says organizing expert Fay Wolf, who has helped everyone from Hollywood celebrities to schoolteachers to work-from-home parents achieve a simpler, more fulfilling life. Here, Wolf outlines her basic rules for saying goodbye to the stuff crowding up your space and hello to new habits that free you up for the things you ...more
Published January 12th 2016 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about New Order, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Order

Start your review of New Order: A Decluttering Handbook for Creative Folks (and Everyone Else)
Robin
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is perfect for those who have tried the "Konmari" method and found it a little silly or wanting. The strength of this is the section on "digital" clutter. She had many ideas that I will incorporate into my own digital files.

Update: December 28, 2015 - Today I purchased a couple of pretty blue plastic file boxes from Office Depot with the idea of taming the file monsters lurking in my closet. I like Wolf's idea of leaving off the tops so files are more easily accessed.
Kelly
Go ahead and borrow this one, and if you love it, then buy it. It's a kinder, gentler Kondo-style book. At times Wolf is a little too buddy-buddy with the reader, but that will totally appeal to many. I did appreciate her "start where you are" advice, which eschews the idea you need things to take care of clutter in your life. The best part for me was her chapter on digital clutter; a lot of it was stuff I do already, but it was nice to know I'm not alone in getting sick of some things and needi ...more
Valerity (Val)
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fay Wolf's book on decluttering is a good, easy read with lots of good advice on getting organized without too much pain. Lots of shortcuts and tips to save you time and money in the process of sorting and purging along the way. I think just about anyone can find helpful ideas in here. This was a useful Goodreads win.
Melissa I
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE trying to clean up the clutter on and offline.
Recommended to Melissa by: Goodreads First Reads Giveaway. TYVM
The ARC says "all reviews should be scheduled to run after "that" (the run date) date, so I've gotta save my thoughts until then which is tentatively scheduled for release on March 22, 2016. But, I'm gonna say this book is friggen' awesome. *trying to control my fingers from typing specifics and there are SO many specifics. Fantastic book....wish to God I had this when I first had kids. I think I'm allowed to say just go pre-order it now!

I always post my thoughts right away, but the wording on
Kris
"Before you begin: Your first step is not to go to the store to buy organizing products. Resist, friend."

“Set timers. Timers are your new best friends… The ding when the time’s up gives me a huge sense of accomplishment and proves that I can make a lot of progress in a short amount of time.” Example: tomato-timer.com

“Screw perfection. Perfect is the archenemy of Better. Perfect is boring. Perfect is unattainable.”

“Scheduling creative tasks for specific times of day, and then treating them like r
Amy
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, non-fiction
I enjoyed this book. It is simply written with a casual tone that makes it less daunting than the Konmari method (once I saw the illustrations on how to fold shirts, I closed the book). Some of the things suggested, I have done in the past and will reconnect with them. There is a strong emphasis on digital productivity tools, which I will give a try (well, more than one try to find a good fit for me) again.
Even if you aren't a creative person (or have creative aspirations), I think this book is
Scout Collins
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it

This book didn’t just focus on organizing from an organizing-alone perspective, it also brought in topics like mental health, pursuing your passions and overall happiness. I liked these connections; they made this book different than every run-of-the-mill organizing book that just provides pretty pictures and overly simple tips.

Wolf stressed the importance of getting rid of stuff, decluttering, actually DOING (not putting it off til later - getting it done NOW), some tips on working wi
Hayley
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Covers some of the same ground as Marie Kondo's Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up BUT goes much further into the digital side and how to grab control of your daily to-do lists to start being more productive. While Marie Kondo talks a lot about the physical spaces, New Order gives hands on advice for dealing with the barrage of digital and mental clutter that prevents us (creative types but also works for everyone) from doing what we really love. My favorite part? Wolf talks about limiting your s ...more
Barb
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hobbies
I read this one in one day. There were lots of great tips, some I already know and use and some I did not think of! I even signed up for her newsletter. I tried a "to-do" list app and hated it, so its gone. I am definitely an old-school pen and paper kind of gal, especially since those don't email me to remind me that I have an item on my calendar unaddressed for the third day in a row. Deleted! I do believe that being less cluttered is quite liberating, and I am a reforming child of pack rats. ...more
BookBec
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
My litmus test for an organizing book is how much it motivates me to go get organized. This book shifted about 3 pieces of paper and prompted me to unsubscribe to one e-newsletter -- not a great return on my reading investment. I did try some of her links for selling CDs, but at 50 cents a CD it's not worth my time.

And as many other reviewers have noted, the author's voice is very informal, hangin' with the BFFs, let's swear a little and misspell things ("have fuuuuun") to establish her down-to-
Noelle Kravitz
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Pros:
-Easy read
-Lots of resources
-Friendly tone
-Some comics and pictures
-Colorful Cover
-Some good tips

Cons:
-Odd square-shaped book
-Paragraphs/advice sometimes felt unnecessarily lengthy
-Information fairly general

Notes:
-Does not take you through each type of room and show you ways to organize. It's more of a general guide through the decluttering process, not the cleaning/reorganization by room like I expected. If that makes sense??
-Personally didn't feel like I learned much, but I like cleaning/
SueEllen
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
First, I must admit I am a sucker for any book that has the words “organization” or “declutter” in the title. This one begins with the typical advice about start small and sort into keep/donate/trash steps, but then if adds a lot of practical advice about dealing with digital clutter, social media, and email that I have not found in other books. Included is an extensive list of organizing apps, websites, and resources. As a final - and maybe quirky - note, I loved the size and shape of this book ...more
Kayla
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book covers EVERYTHING about new age organization. Clear, honest and direct, Fay Wolf provides actionable methods for how to get your life's clutter under control in order to lead a happier and more fulfilling existence (with less stuff). I'm pleased to say that I already practice a lot of these ideas, but my mother is another story! I'm buying this book for her.
Sheralynn
Jan 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
I was a little misled by the title of this book - I thought it was a book for creative people who have creative clutter and how to sort that clutter (lots of supplies for hobbies etc), but alas it was not.

The writing style is very light hearted and the book is heavily geared to the American market, so if you live in the US, the lists in the book are rather bountiful.
Terri Frank
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read this book in under an hour. Great visual graphics and section breaks kept my attention. Best of all, no trips to the organizing store! I redid my file cabinet using only post-it notes. I also loved the author's tips on managing digital clutter. This book won't change your life, but you'll definitely find a tip or two.
Lauretta
Aug 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Perhaps it got too much hype or I've read too many books on getting organized. However, my hopes were raised that this would be a different message especially tailored to the issues and needs of creative people. What a disappointment! Just another hum-ho doctrine on getting organized. Didn't learn much.
Stacie
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This got an extra star from me for the practical advice about social media, email and digital filing. The rest was lots of the same donate/relocate/trash steps as other books. She has a catchy conversational style but I could've done with less cussing.
Literary Soirée
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I turned to Fay Wolf’s incredibly helpful new book when I had a pesky closet I just couldn’t make myself organize. Love her unique approach to assisting creatives like myself in getting one’s environment in better order, so more “flow” can be achieved in the creative process. 5/5
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I really like this book. The author has a realistic view of what people can accomplish. Love that this deals with digital clutter and daily life goals as well.
Christopher
Mar 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
Well, she's no Marie Kondo.
Claudia
Very chill tone. Lately I've been drawn to books about decluttering and have felt they've each taught me something I didn't know before/see things in a new way.
Sara
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars for motivating me to get off my butt and go through my paperwork (again), utilize the to-do list on my iPhone, and analyze old habits in order to create new ones.

Wolf breaks down decluttering in a very simple way, so simple that she really doesn't spend that much time on it (this is a good thing.) She focuses more on our mental barriers to decluttering and organizing our lives, which I definitely struggle with.

She breaks things down into bite sized pieces of information. I never felt o
Michelle
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: decluttering
First of all, the title is misleading. The part about "for Creative Folks" is probably something added to try and interest creative types, especially visual artists who see the potential in everything to use in art. Two of my artist friends hold on to every thing, and I do mean THING, that crosses their paths because they are both visual artists in multiple mediums. So... keep in mind that this book is for anyone seeking information about decluttering, and that there's nothing special in it for ...more
Kinsey
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
With humor and conversational vernacular, Fay Wolf has written a helpful book for those that need some guidance and assistance with clearing and organizing. It's full of great suggestions to help with your home and environment, but also with tidying your digital mess, as well as all that mental brain clutter we all collect. Overall, it gives some really nice recommendations to help all the little parts that make up life as a whole to become more efficient, tidy, and therefore a much more pleasan ...more
Amy
Jun 06, 2016 rated it liked it
much less intimidating than the Kondo book currently gathering dust in my cabinet :)
also, much more practical as the edges are actually evening cut and easy to thumb through looking for an important passage (and the 'where to donate/recycle/etc" pages are all pink edged). For some reason someone thought it would be pretty to have a deckle (uncut) edge on the pages of The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up which are impossible as a result to turn or skim through. How does that help me organize my
Kate
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nice! If you've never read another book about home organization, this one offers all the time-honored advice, the classic four-bags-for-initial-sorting gambit, for example.

But maybe you've already read several books about home organization. (Maybe, like me, you can't resist reading every article and book on organization that crosses your path.) Well, this one may just help in some fresh ways. Its tone is that of a cheerful creative friend: Wolf knows from experience exactly how some good intent
Karen
Let me start with, I like the Konmari method of pulling everything of a similar category out, keeping what you love (and use) and passing the rest along. It's fairly quick, simple and works for me. I was interested in this one because it is directed at creatives and I thought it might be good to help with the crafty stuff in my home.

While Wolf references Marie Kondo, among others, only the first maybe 1/3 of this book is about decluttering stuff. The rest does deal with digital clutter such as e
Kristine
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
New Order: A Decluttering Handbook for Creative Folks by Fay Wolf is a free Goodreads advance reader copy of a paperback book that I won in January, but received and read in late February - actually in incredibly good timing, since, not only was I in-between books, but I was looking to do some reorganizing, anyway!

Fay Wolf's frank, endearing, implorative while not being authoritative tone and use of bold font, fun graphics, and pink reference section (with donation options and helpful websites)
Anna Marie
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a goodreads giveaway that I won.
This author presents a lot of specific resources to help you simplify your life, such as a list of donation centers and useful apps, and I really did like that part.
There are helpful drawings and diagrams as well to give a visual look at the process.
It gives great suggestions on ways to declutter your life. Some of the topics she tackles are ways to declutter "stuff" around your house, decrease paper, electronics, email, and become more organized.
Howeve
Anne
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is marketed as a guide to decluttering for creative types, but it's a lot more than just decluttering. Wolf talks about physical decluttering (think Kondo method, but more no nonsense), habit/life decluttering, building new habits to free up time, etc. So, yes, the first few chapters are all about clutter (in your house, in your files, even on your computer), but she also talks a lot about productivity, collaboration (this is aimed at creative types, after all), and practicing your art ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Outer Order, Inner Calm: Declutter & Organize to Make More Room for Happiness
  • Project 333: The Minimalist Fashion Challenge That Proves Less Really Is So Much More
  • The Minimalist Home: A Room-By-Room Guide to a Decluttered, Refocused Life
  • Less Stuff: Simple Zero-Waste Steps To A Joyful And Clutter-Free Life
  • The Curated Closet: A Simple System for Discovering Your Personal Style and Building Your Dream Wardrobe
  • Dot Journaling: A Practical Guide: How to Start and Keep the Planner, To-Do List, and Diary That’ll Actually Help You Get Your Life Together
  • The Joy of Less, A Minimalist Living Guide: How to Declutter, Organize, and Simplify Your Life
  • New Minimalism: Decluttering and Design for Sustainable, Intentional Living
  • Haunted Nights
  • Black Juice
  • Goodbye, Things: The New Japanese Minimalism
  • The Twilight Pariah
  • Decluttering at the Speed of Life: Winning Your Never-Ending Battle with Stuff
  • I Will Judge You by Your Bookshelf
  • Haunted Castles
  • Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up
  • The Big Book of Less: Finding Joy in Living Lighter
  • The Romanov Cross
Fay Wolf is a professional organizer, musician, and artist. She has appeared as the organizing expert on OWN’s Home Made Simple, and is a regular contributor to Apartment Therapy—where her One-Minute Tip videos are some of the most viewed in the site’s history. Her creative work comes in many forms, including songs that have been heard on shows like Grey’s Anatomy and Pretty Little Liars. She live ...more

News & Interviews

“SCREW PERFECTION. Perfect is the archenemy of Better. Perfect is boring. Perfect is unattainable.” 2 likes
“SCREW PERFECTION Perfect is the archenemy of Better. Perfect” 0 likes