Start by marking “New Order: A Decluttering Handbook for Creative Folks (and Everyone Else)” as Want to Read:
New Order: A Decluttering Handbook for Creative Folks (and Everyone Else)

New Order: A Decluttering Handbook for Creative Folks (and Everyone Else)

Can a decluttered space fuel a creative mind? Heck yes, says organizing expert Fay Wolf, who has helped everyone from Hollywood celebrities to schoolteachers to work-from-home parents achieve a simpler, more fulfilling life. Here, Wolf outlines her basic rules for saying goodbye to the stuff crowding up your space and hello to new habits that free you up for the things you ...more
Published January 12th 2016 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about New Order, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Order

Start your review of New Order: A Decluttering Handbook for Creative Folks (and Everyone Else)
Robin
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is perfect for those who have tried the "Konmari" method and found it a little silly or wanting. The strength of this is the section on "digital" clutter. She had many ideas that I will incorporate into my own digital files.

Update: December 28, 2015 - Today I purchased a couple of pretty blue plastic file boxes from Office Depot with the idea of taming the file monsters lurking in my closet. I like Wolf's idea of leaving off the tops so files are more easily accessed.
Kelly
Go ahead and borrow this one, and if you love it, then buy it. It's a kinder, gentler Kondo-style book. At times Wolf is a little too buddy-buddy with the reader, but that will totally appeal to many. I did appreciate her "start where you are" advice, which eschews the idea you need things to take care of clutter in your life. The best part for me was her chapter on digital clutter; a lot of it was stuff I do already, but it was nice to know I'm not alone in getting sick of some things and needi ...more
Valerity (Val)
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fay Wolf's book on decluttering is a good, easy read with lots of good advice on getting organized without too much pain. Lots of shortcuts and tips to save you time and money in the process of sorting and purging along the way. I think just about anyone can find helpful ideas in here. This was a useful Goodreads win.
Melissa I
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE trying to clean up the clutter on and offline.
Recommended to Melissa by: Goodreads First Reads Giveaway. TYVM
The ARC says "all reviews should be scheduled to run after "that" (the run date) date, so I've gotta save my thoughts until then which is tentatively scheduled for release on March 22, 2016. But, I'm gonna say this book is friggen' awesome. *trying to control my fingers from typing specifics and there are SO many specifics. Fantastic book....wish to God I had this when I first had kids. I think I'm allowed to say just go pre-order it now!

I always post my thoughts right away, but the wording on
Amy
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, non-fiction
I enjoyed this book. It is simply written with a casual tone that makes it less daunting than the Konmari method (once I saw the illustrations on how to fold shirts, I closed the book). Some of the things suggested, I have done in the past and will reconnect with them. There is a strong emphasis on digital productivity tools, which I will give a try (well, more than one try to find a good fit for me) again.
Even if you aren't a creative person (or have creative aspirations), I think this bo
Scout Collins
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it

This book didn’t just focus on organizing from an organizing-alone perspective, it also brought in topics like mental health, pursuing your passions and overall happiness. I liked these connections; they made this book different than every run-of-the-mill organizing book that just provides pretty pictures and overly simple tips.

Wolf stressed the importance of getting rid of stuff, decluttering, actually DOING (not putting it off til later - getting it done NOW), some tips on working with others (busines
Kris
"Before you begin: Your first step is not to go to the store to buy organizing products. Resist, friend."

“Set timers. Timers are your new best friends… The ding when the time’s up gives me a huge sense of accomplishment and proves that I can make a lot of progress in a short amount of time.” Example: tomato-timer.com

“Screw perfection. Perfect is the archenemy of Better. Perfect is boring. Perfect is unattainable.”

“Scheduling creative tasks for specific times of day,
Barb
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hobbies
I read this one in one day. There were lots of great tips, some I already know and use and some I did not think of! I even signed up for her newsletter. I tried a "to-do" list app and hated it, so its gone. I am definitely an old-school pen and paper kind of gal, especially since those don't email me to remind me that I have an item on my calendar unaddressed for the third day in a row. Deleted! I do believe that being less cluttered is quite liberating, and I am a reforming child of pack rats. ...more
SueEllen
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
First, I must admit I am a sucker for any book that has the words “organization” or “declutter” in the title. This one begins with the typical advice about start small and sort into keep/donate/trash steps, but then if adds a lot of practical advice about dealing with digital clutter, social media, and email that I have not found in other books. Included is an extensive list of organizing apps, websites, and resources. As a final - and maybe quirky - note, I loved the size and shape of this book ...more
Lauretta
Aug 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Perhaps it got too much hype or I've read too many books on getting organized. However, my hopes were raised that this would be a different message especially tailored to the issues and needs of creative people. What a disappointment! Just another hum-ho doctrine on getting organized. Didn't learn much.
Claudia
Very chill tone. Lately I've been drawn to books about decluttering and have felt they've each taught me something I didn't know before/see things in a new way.
Terri Frank
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read this book in under an hour. Great visual graphics and section breaks kept my attention. Best of all, no trips to the organizing store! I redid my file cabinet using only post-it notes. I also loved the author's tips on managing digital clutter. This book won't change your life, but you'll definitely find a tip or two.
Hayley
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Covers some of the same ground as Marie Kondo's Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up BUT goes much further into the digital side and how to grab control of your daily to-do lists to start being more productive. While Marie Kondo talks a lot about the physical spaces, New Order gives hands on advice for dealing with the barrage of digital and mental clutter that prevents us (creative types but also works for everyone) from doing what we really love. My favorite part? Wolf talks about limiting your s ...more
Noelle Kravitz
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Pros:
-Easy read
-Lots of resources
-Friendly tone
-Some comics and pictures
-Colorful Cover
-Some good tips

Cons:
-Odd square-shaped book
-Paragraphs/advice sometimes felt unnecessarily lengthy
-Information fairly general

Notes:
-Does not take you through each type of room and show you ways to organize. It's more of a general guide through the decluttering process, not the cleaning/reorganization by room like I expected. If
Kayla
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book covers EVERYTHING about new age organization. Clear, honest and direct, Fay Wolf provides actionable methods for how to get your life's clutter under control in order to lead a happier and more fulfilling existence (with less stuff). I'm pleased to say that I already practice a lot of these ideas, but my mother is another story! I'm buying this book for her.
Literary Soirée
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I turned to Fay Wolf’s incredibly helpful new book when I had a pesky closet I just couldn’t make myself organize. Love her unique approach to assisting creatives like myself in getting one’s environment in better order, so more “flow” can be achieved in the creative process. 5/5
Stacie
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This got an extra star from me for the practical advice about social media, email and digital filing. The rest was lots of the same donate/relocate/trash steps as other books. She has a catchy conversational style but I could've done with less cussing.
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I really like this book. The author has a realistic view of what people can accomplish. Love that this deals with digital clutter and daily life goals as well.
Sara
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars for motivating me to get off my butt and go through my paperwork (again), utilize the to-do list on my iPhone, and analyze old habits in order to create new ones.

Wolf breaks down decluttering in a very simple way, so simple that she really doesn't spend that much time on it (this is a good thing.) She focuses more on our mental barriers to decluttering and organizing our lives, which I definitely struggle with.

She breaks things down into bite sized pieces of information. I never felt o
Karen
Let me start with, I like the Konmari method of pulling everything of a similar category out, keeping what you love (and use) and passing the rest along. It's fairly quick, simple and works for me. I was interested in this one because it is directed at creatives and I thought it might be good to help with the crafty stuff in my home.

While Wolf references Marie Kondo, among others, only the first maybe 1/3 of this book is about decluttering stuff. The rest does deal with digital clutt
Erin Hendrian
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
PROS: The section on organizing files was quite helpful, as well as the suggestions for reducing paper and digital clutter. The book has an energetic, "let's get started!" vibe that is motivating, and includes an extensive list of organizing apps and resources for donating or selling unused items.

CONS: The material on basic decluttering, organizing, and maintenance is nothing groundbreaking and was a lot less specific than other books like The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up or Do More Better
Rhonda Marcotte
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel like she knows me

Over the years, I've read a number of various self-help books - from unlocking creativity to finding the right job. There are few that resonate with me from start to finish, and this is definitely one. I like the candor and the writing style, I love the way she respects real-life scenarios, and I'm highly impressed with all the resources. She not only gives advice on what to do, she gives practical and specific advice on how and, almost as importantly, why. And her
Karla
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I started this book a long time ago and just discovered it underneath a pile of other books. I did finish it but maybe should have finished it before the pile got that big! It’s good, it’s practical and it has lots of information on decluttering digitally - both cleaning up emails ( say hello to my 9,000 emails waiting for some action) and introducing sites to help you stay organized. Personally, I find those even more annoying. How many passwords can you think up? Oh wait, there is an app for t ...more
Abbi
Nov 06, 2018 rated it liked it
As with most self-help things, I go in thinking maybe I'll get some new exciting insight, but it ends up being advice that I generally already know I should do. This was good for a couple reasons, I liked that she had de-cluttering of electronic things like email with useful strategies. She also included a whole section on where to donate specific items, and resources for organizing the different things. Overall there were a few tidbits that were useful, but overall, I just need to follow the th ...more
Emily
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: working folks
Recommended to Emily by: library
Fay Wolf's voice was refreshing, upbeat, pragmatic, and encouraging. Very inclusive of modern concerns like social media, backing up data, and using online tools. When I reached the end, I realized that what I was most grateful for were the parts that weren't about physical stuff, but were about mental organizing, habits, and relationships. It will go on my store's recommended paperback nonfiction table.
Angela
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-ficiton, own
While it didn't make as big of an impression at The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up, this was a great, practical read. I really enjoyed the resources suggestions and found them very helpful. A word of warning though, the language is not squeaky clean and it is a little jarring at times. I wound up accidentally damaging a library copy which I paid for and kept so I will have it as a reread in the future as well.
Donna
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This would be good "how to adult" reading for those setting up their first household, but it's very basic. It does include suggestions for digital clutter, though. Unfortunately the "creative folks" angle isn't much of a focus; that mostly comes into play by mentioning that these new routines will free up time for painting or playing guitar.
Cindy
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
A super quick read. While a lot of the processes suggested are things I am already doing, it was still worth the read because it was motivational and entertaining. The author uses humor to relate to the common problems of clutter and offers very thorough and insightful ways to battle clutter in all areas of life.
Sheralynn
Jan 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
I was a little misled by the title of this book - I thought it was a book for creative people who have creative clutter and how to sort that clutter (lots of supplies for hobbies etc), but alas it was not.

The writing style is very light hearted and the book is heavily geared to the American market, so if you live in the US, the lists in the book are rather bountiful.
Adrienne
I was expecting more specific insights and detail related to dealing the clutter that comes with creative work or hobbies, but there was nothing new here. It's decent if it's the first decluttering-organizing book you're picking up, but if you've already read books on the topic then this book will likely seem fairly redundant.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• New Minimalism: Decluttering and Design for Sustainable, Intentional Living
  • Simple Matters: Living with Less and Ending Up with More
  • Outer Order, Inner Calm
  • What Your Clutter Is Trying to Tell You: Uncover the Message in the Mess and Reclaim Your Life
  • Unstuffed: Decluttering Your Home, Mind & Soul
  • Decluttering at the Speed of Life: Winning Your Never-Ending Battle with Stuff
  • Organized Enough: The Anti-Perfectionist's Guide to Getting—and Staying—Organized
  • The Organized Home: Simple, Stylish Storage Ideas for All Over the House
  • Soulful Simplicity: How Living with Less Can Lead to So Much More
  • Clear the Clutter, Find Happiness: One-Minute Tips for Decluttering and Refreshing Your Home and Your Life
  • The Minimalist Home: A Room-By-Room Guide to a Decluttered, Refocused Life
  • The Complete Book of Home Organization
  • The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning: How to Free Yourself and your Family from a Lifetime of Clutter
  • Someday Is Not a Day in the Week: 10 Hacks to Make the Rest of Your Life the Best of Your Life
  • The Big Book of Less: Finding Joy in Living Lighter
  • Styled: Secrets for Arranging Rooms, from Tabletops to Bookshelves
  • Unf*ck Your Habitat: You're Better Than Your Mess
  • Lightly: How to Live a Simple, Serene, and Stress-free Life
Fay Wolf is a professional organizer, musician, and artist. She has appeared as the organizing expert on OWN’s Home Made Simple, and is a regular contributor to Apartment Therapy—where her One-Minute Tip videos are some of the most viewed in the site’s history. Her creative work comes in many forms, including songs that have been heard on shows like Grey’s Anatomy and Pretty Little Liars. She live ...more
“SCREW PERFECTION. Perfect is the archenemy of Better. Perfect is boring. Perfect is unattainable.” 2 likes
“SCREW PERFECTION Perfect is the archenemy of Better. Perfect” 0 likes