Start by marking “The Art of People: 11 Simple People Skills That Will Get You Everything You Want” as Want to Read:

What does it take to win success and influence? Some people think that in today’s hyper-competitive world, it’s the tough, take-no-prisoners type who comes out on top. But in reality, argues New York Times bestselling author Dave Kerpen, it’s actually those with the best people skills who win the day. Those who build the right relationships. Those who truly understand and ...more
Published March 15th 2016 by Crown Business

To ask other readers questions about The Art of People, please sign up.
Texjim Me too, I ended up finding a generic version of the quiz which I believe provided similar information. Also, I found the book made very little use of…moreMe too, I ended up finding a generic version of the quiz which I believe provided similar information. Also, I found the book made very little use of the quiz results.(less)

Henrik Warne
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Disappointing. I bought The Art of People because of reviews describing it as How to Win Friends and Influence People updated for the age of social media. However, I was disappointed.

Even though there are genuinely good chapters, the book is nowhere near as good as Dale Carnegie’s classic book on people skills. One reason for this (I think) is that Dale Carnegie gave classes for years, if not decades, and heard personal stories from thousands of people on what worked and didn’t work. He was able
Aude
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Nothing very original, Dave Kerpen just rehashes older books. Be nice to people, put yourself in their shoes, show your vulnerability, stand out visually, blah blah blah...
Syu
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it
It was a OK book. Seems like it was inspired by Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People" because the author quoted from the book more than 3 times earlier. A lot of valuable easy to put on practice gems but the thing I dislike about this book is the constant repetition of similar sentence/points in subsequent paragraphs with slight paraphrase presence in almost all chapters. And I also thought that the ex-gf story shouldn't be included at all. It's cringey.
Wendy
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great easy to read book about how to improve interactions with people. Although it's geared towards business interactions, most tips can be applied to any personal relationships at well. The First Actions Steps to Take (FAST) are create reflective and starting points the implement the material covered in the chapter.

Received as a Goodreads Giveaway.
Kristen
Mar 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
I received this book for free.
Good points:
*I believe the author is easy to communicate with; listing of his email address is provided in the introduction. His Twitter and LinkedIn are listed as well.

Not so good points:
*I started the self-assessment in the appendix but didn't feel that the questions pertained to me. The ratings would be off, therefore, the advice would be off.
*Appendix B lists a few pages of inspirational quotes. I never believe these without the context listed. These are shape
Arthur Anton
Jul 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book is a mirror into the author's approach of how he tries to manipulate and influence those around him. More importantly, it's an attempt to convince the reader that he, himself, is influential. Name dropping, etc.

Being likable can't be taught.
If you want to "act" like your likable, then follow the advice.

Unfortunately, the author makes claims that are unsubstantiated.

Whatever is good, is quoted.

Alain Burrese
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed “The Art Of People: 11 Simple People Skills That Will Get You Everything You Want” by Dave Kerpen. It's written in a friendly and conversational manner, and filled with solid advice on dealing with people. Maybe the reason I enjoyed it so much is that I teach a lot of similar things in some of my workshops. And while some may think the advice is “common sense,” I've found that common sense isn't commonly practiced. This book is a great reminder that there are simple people skill ...more
Vlad
Aug 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Super lightweight and fluffy. Almost nothing in this book is original. The construction of each chapter is in the style of those annoying as all hell LinkedIn posts that start with some attention-grabbing quote or dilemma, then go on to deliver a mundane piece of advice such as "praise in public, criticize in private" or "offer a feedback sandwich: a positive piece of feedback, a critical piece, then a positive piece of feedback." Wow, deep.

Also found the title distasteful because it implies rel
Alfie Yee
Jan 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Not really worth a read! In fact I don't really wish to justify it by doing an extensive review.
Picked up the book at the airport based on the title -The Art of People. Kept reading through thinking I would find something insightful in the later halves of the book. None whatsoever. Feels like a hipster manual of how to self promote.
Ayelet
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work
A great modern take on How to Win Friends and Influence People, this book is filled with easy to read and remember and implement tips to work better with others and be a better leader. Now when people ask "how are you?" I know to answer "fantastic!" and should I ever need to send a gift to a CEO who has everything, I know exactly what to buy.
Ying Ying
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
While the title is very enticing, the content is rather dull. The descriptions are very general and the stories are banal. If you want to learn something while being put to sleep, this book is a good option. Or you might just read the first few pages and skim the rest of the book, just as I did.
Texjim
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
A suggested by the title this is a collection of suggestions about how to improve your influence over the outcomes of your interpersonal interactions, both personal and professional. The book is quite detail oriented and covers 53 individual techniques. For the most part, most are common sense but as a collection, they comprise a nice review and synopsis. Sample topics include, don't try to resolve disputes when angry, create a structured path for resolution, positive grateful people create bett ...more
Paul
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dave Kerpen takes the high road and wins because of it. In this (his fourth) book, Kerpen once again shares myriad insights into how we can all win by knowing ourselves and being decent to others. He takes the revolutionary stance that one gains strength through empathy, success through decency and becomes more persuasive by listening. In a world of bloviating idealogues, Dave's message is refreshing and effective - one you should embrace for yourself and share with those you love (and even thos ...more
L
Dec 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Pretty basic stuff that has been covered in other books. If you are looking for something truly innovative, look elsewhere. If this is your first book in this genre and you are looking for soehing introductory then this is a good start. I felt Kerpen spent a lot of time on his stories as a type-A, overachiever and the corresponding issues associated with that.
Rebecca
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
There were some helpful pieces of advice, most of which I would think people know. I could be wrong on that though.
Marissa Catania Bishop
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this, quick read, good advice.
Stephanie Thoma
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some healthy reminders for the entrepreneurial type who wants to keep their game sharp. A few items that stood out to me:

- What's your 'bright orange shoe' equivalent that's a little quirky and could act as a conversation starter?

- Social media should be 30% self-promotion, 70% promoting/praising others

- When someone asks how you are, get in the habit of replying, "fantastic" (Assuming you mean it)

- Have a list of inspirational quotes you like handy, and populate your feed with 'em

- Apparently,
Wendy
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So the thing I love about Dave Kerpen is that he practices what he preaches which is evident from the many real life stories that he shares. The result is that he has successfully used his "art" to "craft" a life that is optimized on just about every level: spouse, parent, friend, and successful business person. And as y0u read his many tips--the title says 11 but there are really far more--you realize that they only thing stopping you from realizing your own optimal life, is a failure to consis ...more
Patafyzak
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a valuable book for aspiring leaders (and everyone else for that sake), with an abundance of practical useful tips and tricks. The book is a little too short, a little unstructured and It seems to me that some of the stories meant put the skill or the mindset into perspective, is a bit arbitrary chosen.
That aside: This is a great book to pick the authors brain and to learn some useful skills.

Some of my favorites:

The feedback sandwich - Give positive, negative and then positive feedback
Christine Burren
Oct 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Reminds importance of properly listening to people

The breakdown of personality types and general concept of listening and engaging people were all worthwhile. Beyond the first couple of chapters, it became less relevant to me in the British context - while various of the actions suggested probably fit perfectly into US culture and vibe, many felt far too OTT for us Brits and wouldn’t carry across The Pond that well from New York.
Hello_ripper
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
I never heard of the author or his business before, but saw the book at a book store and thought the title was interesting. Some aspects/skills he wrote about are ones I've seen before, but some are new to me, so it was an interesting addition. His writing style/personality seems approachable, just as his book preaches.
Pranaav Gupta
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed reading this well written book. This is a great adaptation - in a way - of the timeless Dale Carnegie classic 'How to Win Friends and Influence People'. It is written in a simple accessible manner. The author has dealt with 11 easy ways of getting the best out of yourself. Simple things like focusing on body language and tone while speaking have been explained well.
Scott Wozniak
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Strong book on building relationships, with practical tips, real insight, and some great personal stories. I loved that he included not only how to connect with new people, but how to get out of too long conversations as well. And his reminders on listening struck home again. It's so, so important to just listen and make them feel heard.
John Hardy
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Knowing how to communicate with people is not as easy as you think? Did you know that there are skills. Dave Kerpen talks about the eleven skills you need to be able to communicate with anyone in any situation. He even recommends that you take the Enneagram test in the back of the books and use the skills in the book to work on your weaknesses
Omara Edward
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very simple to read. Loaded with practical life skills you can use in everyday life. I was applying most of them as I read the book. Finally, if you have read "How to Win Friends and Influence People" you will definitely devour this book.
Laura R
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
yawn

nothing super insightful or surprising here - most of it seems common sense or copied from other self help books... i wonder if he paid any of the people he quoted/copied for the content that actually meant something?
Wolfgang
Aug 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Some second-hand insights as to how to be a horrible person in order to get ahead in life. When the author told me to "hire slow and fire fast", in business as well as in personal relationships, I realized that I really don't want to be that kind of person.
Michael Brisciana
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding tips on how to engage with people more effectively, and with more benefit and satisfaction for all. Dave's "Platinum Rule" of "Do unto others as they would have you do unto them" is brilliant and a game-changer for how you empathize with and respond to others.
Marci Lambert
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid collection of advice

It's not rocket science that you should be helpful to others as a business practice (and as a general human), but it's good to brush up on specifics and this book goes down easy.
Edward Zeinoun
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Ok. I get it. You're a successful guy. Next!
  • The Execution Factor: The One Skill That Drives Success
  • It's Always Personal: Navigating Emotion in the New Workplace
  • Exponential Living: Stop Spending 100% of Your Time on 10% of Who You Are
  • Die erfundene Wirklichkeit
  • An Elementary Textbook of Psychoanalysis
  • Abnormal Psychology: Clinical Perspectives on Psychological Disorders
  • The Resiliency Advantage: Master Change, Thrive Under Pressure, and Bounce Back from Setbacks
  • Myths About Suicide
  • What Are You Waiting For?: Learn How to Rise to the Occasion of Your Life
  • Fish! For Life: A Remarkable Way to Achieve Your Dreams
  • The Flip Side: Break Free of the Behaviors That Hold You Back
  • The Anti-Christ/Ecce Homo/Twilight of the Idols/Other Writings
  • Men, Women and the Mystery of Love: Practical Insights from John Paul II's Love and Responsibility
  • Speaking of Sadness: Depression, Disconnection, and the Meanings of Illness
  • Beta: Quiet Girls Can Run the World: There is more than one way to be the boss
  • Brave, Not Perfect: Fear Less, Fail More, and Live Bolder
  • Love and Sex with Robots: The Evolution of Human-Robot Relationships
  • Extraordinary Knowing: Science, Skepticism, and the Inexplicable Powers of the Human Mind
“The days of forcing or bullying your way to the top are over. The” 0 likes
“However, when you’re accountable to too many people, it’s like being accountable to no one. Thus, the best scenario is to find one accountability partner who can help you and whom you can help.” 0 likes