Start by marking “United: Thoughts on Finding Common Ground and Advancing the Common Good” as Want to Read:
United: Thoughts on Finding Common Ground and Advancing the Common Good

United: Thoughts on Finding Common Ground and Advancing the Common Good

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • A passionate new voice in American politics, United States Senator Cory Booker makes the case that the virtues of empathy, responsibility, and action must guide our nation toward a brighter future.

Raised in northern New Jersey, Cory Booker went to Stanford University on a football scholarship, accepted a Rhodes Scholarship to Oxford Universit
Published February 16th 2016 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about United, please sign up.
Brandy "...you don't have to be a lawmaker or politician to make a difference -- in fact, if we were to leave everything up to the public sector, we will sur…more"...you don't have to be a lawmaker or politician to make a difference -- in fact, if we were to leave everything up to the public sector, we will surely fall far short of perfecting our union. To succeed in this new America, we need senators and shopkeepers, natives and immigrants, young and old, Republicans, Democrats, and everyone in between. We need us."
-- Cory Booker, in United

Long story short, he doesn't think that at all. But, he believes it has a part to play, and grass roots groups do too. Check out the book, it truly is a good read!(less)

Start your review of United: Thoughts on Finding Common Ground and Advancing the Common Good
Corrigan Vaughan
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is absolutely the book you write a decade or so before you run for President. It does all the things it politically should do in order to introduce him to people who have never heard of him and answer questions about his life for those who have been following his public image for a while. If you've read Barack Obama's books, you'll recognize a lot of the same techniques for painting a picture of a flawed, but overall good man. Booker casually confirms his oft-questioned heterosexuality with ...more
jv poore
UNITED is less a book and more the kindest, most generous, heart-felt thank you letter to everyone who ever touched Mr. Booker's life. His story is humble, filled with hope and truly inspiring.

This was the perfect book for me to read at the end of 2016, when it seemed that the majority of the "news" was bleak, at best. At the same time, it will also be the perfect book for me to introduce to 'my' HS seniors at the beginning of 2017. I absolutely love being able to introduce a real-life hero to t
Marquis Cooper
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a GREAT read! Cory Booker is a great guy with an even more amazing story. I had no idea who he was before this book but now i feel like he's truly one of the good people in politics actually trying to make a difference. This got 5 easy stars. I'd give it more if i could. The book goes through his life from a kid to a U.S. Senator. Amazing stories were told and to be honest i can't wait to hear them again. A must read!
Rambling Reader
is it so wrong that I want to have his babies?

cory, marry me, my boo.
Tim Baker
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've been a fan of Cory Booker for many years and was excited to listen to this audiobook in his own voice. Mr. Booker is such inspiration and breath of fresh air in politics and I can only hope he will be our President in the future.
Emily
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I don't know that I've ever read a political memoir that's more honest and inspiring than this one. Each chapter is a short story that reflects an overall lesson from Booker's life and career.

I was particularly fascinated by the story about the IHOP waitress and how it reflected the impact of community violence and low minimum wage on families. I was also unaware of the incredible sacrifices Booker made to start his political career in a way that ensured he understood the values of his constitu
Kiki Bakker
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This wasn’t just a book, or a story about a politician. I just read a book that was about normal people, about us. I was inspired and moved by it and I recommend you to read it too. But again, it wasn’t just a book, it was more than that.

Stephen Covey has written about a principle centered way of living, meaning a valuebased approach to everyday life. For me that is about trying your best everyday to be a little bit better than the day before. You may think this sounds idealistic. And it does.
Melani Jaffe
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Such an inspiration !! If you are discouraged by politics right now this will help you still believe :)
Christina
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm a big Cory Booker fan and had no idea what he faced while running for office. (Sharpe James is shaaady. Watch Street Fight on Netflix, which gets into it much more!) This isn't a typical autobiography. Booker shares a little about his background and how and why he wanted to get involved, but it's more about the people and the issues.
Jean
In his book Cory Booker recounts stories and the lessons he learned from people who have inspired him during his life. He went to Stanford University where he played football and majored in political science. He was awarded a Rhodes Scholarship and studied sociology at Oxford. On returning to the United States he entered Yale Law School.

Booker begins his stories with the non-profit work he did with the poor while in Yale Law School. Upon graduation he went to work with a non-profit in a poor sec
Janet
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, memoir
I received this book after winning a Goodreads giveaway. Thank you, I truly enjoyed reading it.

I have admired Sen. Booker for a long time, after first learning about him on local television news when he first ran for mayor. Later, I saw him in two documentary series, "Brick City." He was a breath of fresh air in his community and it was obvious he had the potential to go places. As a prior reviewer noted, this is a book written by a person who plans to run for president in about 10 years or so.

T
Vaughn Richardson-Guy
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really admire Cory Booker and the journey he took to get where he is today. In "United…" he doesn't try to hide any privilege he might have had growing up in an upper middle class household. And he doesn't shy away from discussing his flaws; conversely, he is open about his "teachable moments"— times when he was blatantly wrong, and learned from his mistakes, which I find to be an important characteristic for those in leadership positions to possess. The way with which he approaches issues sur ...more
Leslie
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, audio
So, if you think that the political scene in this country is a screwed-up mess, read this book and see that there is hope. Cory Booker's story is an amazing one: educated black man chooses to go live in the projects of Newark, NJ after graduation from law school, so that he can make a difference. He soon discovers that what he envisions doesn't meet with what is needed, but he is very good at listening, working, and uniting people for a stronger community. This barely touches the tip of the iceb ...more
Jeanne
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere—and to reach out to others is very much in one’s own self-interest (p. 210).

Cory Booker is a Democratic senator from New Jersey, one of ten African Americans to ever serve in the US Senate. Three of the 100 current senators are African American, the most ever. He had served as mayor of Newark and is one of a small number of mayors to move directly to the Senate. He is a Rhodes Scholar and a graduate of Stanford and Yale Law School.

More than th
Cindy
Feb 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Cory Booker for President! He's definitely better than any of the choices facing me currently.

I was intrigued by Cory Booker when I watched a show on PBS detailing his run against the corrupt, then incumbent mayor of Newark, NJ. Why would the intelligent, privileged son of two IBM executives choose to live in a run-down, drug-infested apartment building in a city that's not even where he's really from? Because he wants to make the world better and he's starting in his corner.

While I'm sure that
Mare
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
ehhhh. i expected more. 2.5 stars, inching towards 3.
the organization of the book was strange. i feel like we started off learning about his foundation in Newark, the people that influenced him and helped him find his way and encouraged him to run for city council. then there's brief mention of his run for mayor, and then suddenly he's running for US senate. i think he did some important reflection on his young naivete as a privileged Ivy League grad coming to "save" Newark, but not so much refl
Ericka Clouther
Cory Booker isn’t my favorite candidate for the Democratic nomination but I was pleasantly surprised by his memoir. After reading this, he’s moved way up my rankings. The memoir dealt with some but not all of my policy concerns: poverty and the prison-industrial complex. He only briefly touched on environmental issues. I would have preferred a more comprehensive explanation of his policy perspectives.
Beth
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I found this book hard to put down. I'd heard all the popular stories about Cory Booker's heroics during his time as mayor of Newark. Those stories are not in this book. The stars of this book are the city of Newark and the people who nurtured him from an aspiring young activist into a political leader. It is an emotional and compelling read that also packs in a lot of facts and some strong policy recommendations on criminal justice reform and other issues that matter to our cities.

I look forwa
Cherry
I came into this book already having a lot of respect for Cory Booker and I came out of it with a deeper understanding of his views and even more respect for him.

I lived for seven years in Newark, NJ (although in the northern part, not the central ward) and for another 4 years in neighboring Belleville. I voted twice for Cory Booker for mayor and then later would have voted for him as a senator if I hadn't moved away from NJ. I was aware of his policies and his background, and I knew he once re
jeremy
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics, memoir-bio
cory booker, the junior senator from new jersey has enjoyed a remarkable political ascendancy. in his first book, united: thoughts on finding common ground and advancing the common good, the former newark mayor and city councilman offers the obligatory biographical sketch, as well as insight into the formative personal and political experiences that have molded and informed his belief system and governing priorities. perhaps most noteworthy for a political memoir, booker doesn't dwell on his own ...more
Laurel
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Although I've known Cory for 14 years and have seen him speak probably a hundred times, this book was full of stories and ideas that revealed layers of history, beliefs and character that are new to me.

Significant and memorable in ways similar to Barack Obama's Dreams from My Father and Jonathan Kozol's Amazing Grace, this book expertly interweaves stories with policy and statistical data that illustrate, on the one hand, how civil rights crusaders made possible Booker's life of opportunity --
Kristen Court
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
I find it fascinating to read the words, thoughts, and convictions of those that choose to devote themselves to public service and the dreams they have for making this country great.
Senator Booker without a doubt feels all of the possible feels, but one sentiment for sure gripped my heart and I hope it continuities it’s hold on the ole heart strings for many years to come. We must all strive to do more than simply tolerate one another. We must love each other. Human lives should be valued and r
Jessica
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I like Cory Booker and the points he is trying to make in this book are valid. I'm with him in theory, I just don't think he expresses himself well in this book.

First off, there are editing issues; some just straight out repeated words or bad punctuation, but also a lot of repetitive re-capping of people and events. This causes each chapter to read more like an individual essay than part of a cohesive book. And each chapter (with the exception of the last one) pretty much express the same frust
Rachael
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Booker describes his time in Newark, but this is more of a narrative policy book than a memoir. He uses stories to illustrate community needs and policy solutions, but it’s definitely not a blow-by-blow of his time in Newark. Mostly he focuses on racial justice as it intersects with criminal justice, although he also touches on environmental justice & other issues.

Some may be put off by what they see as his showboating in Senate hearings, but his past in Newark paints it in a different light. H
Nicole
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cory Booker is a bastion of hope in this seemingly negative time in our countries history. He seems to be everything one would hope for in a politician and epitomizes the ideal of when they go low we go high. This book gives a history of his time as a Newark councilmen, mayor, and junior Senator from New Jersey and speaks to his main goals as a senator. He never speaks negatively of those who he disagrees with and just comes off as a really down to earth guy. Since beginning this book I have oft ...more
James Klagge
When I started this book last week Hillary had not yet made her choice for VP. I had been hoping Cory Booker might be the choice. Having read this, I think he'll be an exciting national figure for the Dem's at some point, but now is a bit too soon. And I'm fine with Kaine as VP choice.
Booker has a good set of stories to tell. He comes from a fairly secure upbringing, so this was not the view from the bottom. But he over and over took it upon himself to care about and seek out the view from the b
Fred Klein
This is one of that type of book we're seeing from many politicians: Short enough, and easy enough to read, and giving some idea of who they are with anecdotes, a summary of accomplishments, and hopes for the future. Most of these books are nothing great, so it will be a rare one that gets more than three stars from me. This book is a satisfactory introduction to Senator Cory Booker. I'm reading books like this because I want to get to know the up-and-coming Democratic leaders now that Hillary C ...more
Larkin Tackett
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Based on Senator Booker's position on education reform, his decision to live in the projects as Newark City Councilman, and what I remember from the documentary "Street Fight" about his mayoral campaign, I knew I liked Cory Booker. This book made me an even bigger supporter. Although I wish he'd dedicated at least a few pages to his work on public education (his omission no doubt due to the relative controversial nature of the topic), I learned a ton more about his personal background, his road ...more
Anna
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5* - I didn't love every aspect of this book but you can't help but admire the man. His ideologies become his practice and he has put himself in the trenches of society in order to understand and directly help the people in his community. Every politician should read this, if for no other reason than to see another possible way of doing things. It will be interesting to see what the future holds for Mr. Cory Booker.
Liza Hinkle (Connolly)
I decided to read up on Senator Booker a bit more, since I noticed he hurried to the airport to help people on the winter day that President #45 tied to install his unethical and immoral travel ban. I already knew Booker was doing a fantastic job as senator of my home state, but I found United to be particularly useful for getting to know his past involvement and career beginnings in nonprofit community organizations. He’s a do-er, in the best way possible.

United chronicles Booker’s rise throug

• Shortest Way Home: One Mayor's Challenge and a Model for America's Future
  • Where We Go from Here
  • A Fighting Chance
  • Our Revolution: A Future to Believe In
  • The War on Normal People: The Truth About America's Disappearing Jobs and Why Universal Basic Income Is Our Future
  • The Land of Flickering Lights: Restoring America in an Age of Broken Politics
  • Dealing Death and Drugs: The Big Business of Dope in the U.S. and Mexico
  • The Opposite of Woe: My Life in Beer and Politics
  • Promises to Keep: On Life and Politics
  • Lead from the Outside: How to Build Your Future and Make Real Change
  • The Right Answer: How We Can Unify Our Divided Nation
  • Un-Trumping America: A Plan to Make America a Democracy Again
  • A Politics of Love: A Handbook for a New American Revolution
Cory Anthony Booker is an American politician and the junior United States Senator from New Jersey, in office since 2013. Previously he served as mayor of Newark from 2006 to 2013.

News & Interviews

“Tolerance is becoming accustomed to injustice; love is becoming disturbed and activated by another’s adverse condition. Tolerance crosses the street; love confronts. Tolerance builds fences; love opens doors. Tolerance breeds indifference; love demands engagement. Tolerance couldn’t care less; love always cares more. —” 17 likes
“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.” 7 likes