Start by marking “The Dark Man (The Graveyard: Classified Paranormal Series Book 1)” as Want to Read:
The Dark Man  (The Graveyard: Classified Paranormal Series Book 1)

The Dark Man

(The Graveyard #1)

Ford Atticus Ford, former host of the hit ghost-hunting reality show Graveyard: Classified, has more than a few regrets—especially after young Chelsea Hopper was attacked by a demon.

Assisting police departments by conducting paranormal investigations and uncovering buried clues now provides Ford with an ounce of redemption, but it will never be enough.

What occurred on th

Published July 7th 2015 by Kindle Press

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Man

Montzalee Wittmann
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The Dark Man (The Graveyard #1) by Desmond Doane is a good scary story that had me hooked right away. I read this book and started in with book two. This book is about a guy that had a paranormal show on TV until he let a five year old be in a show and she got hurt. The show was cancelled. The demon that hurt the girl two years ago is back and now is contacting him through other means, creepy means...through a demon in a house that he is helping a detective with. He calls his friend, who hasn't ...more
Bandit
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not too long ago I was approved for two books by Kobo Writing Life publishers, whoever they are, on Netgalley. Just thought to try out some new genre authors. The first of these was a lackluster AI story made practically unreadable by the horrid formatting. Needless to say that didn’t go a long way in convincing to try the other book, in fact it was an almost pass. This longwinded introduction is to say how glad I am, against initial misgivings, to have given this book a go. Because it was tons ...more
Michael Hicks
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bought
Ernie Lindsey, writing here under the pseudonym of Desmond Doane, takes his first steps into the horror genre with The Dark Man, and it's, mostly, pretty darn effective.

The premise revolves around a disgraced reality show ghost-hunter, Ford Atticus Ford, working to atone for his past sins. Two years ago, during a live Halloween special, Ford put the life of a five year old in incredible danger, squaring off against a supernatural threat in the Most Haunted House in America. His career was quickl
Laura Thomas
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, paranormal
It’s always a good thing when I grab a free book and wind up really enjoying it. This is one of those books.

I like a good ghost haunt. Or in this case, a demon one. Ford Atticus Ford did one thing. One very big thing. Live. On television. And it ruined him. The famous paranormal investigation show was cancelled. His marriage fell apart. And his best friend will never forgive him.

Now, Ford does private investigations. Working with police departments to delve into cases and maybe find those answe
K.M. Montemayor
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghosts, demons
What a great way to end the year! This book checked all my boxes.

Great plot
Non-perfect, engaging characters
Perfect amount of description
Realistic dialogue

If you want a gripping story about a ghost hunter that has a few surprises along the way, this is for you. Although there were a few tropes, they were done in a realistic way and enforced the idea that demons do exist and act in particular ways, rather than make it tedious. I'll leave you with a few of my favorite quotes from the book.

{His} gra
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
The Dark Man was a good read. The author doesn’t veer too far into the horror, instead concentrating on the characters interactions with each other. It’s more of a suspense slash tale of redemption than it is anything else. I liked the twists the author gave to his characters and their journey, making them seem completely human. Ford Atticus Ford (I couldn’t get over the complete ridiculousness of that name, though.) is a good guy with a bit of an ego problem, and he knows it. He’s done things – ...more
The Behrg
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Dark Man is an interesting take on the paranormal genre, following the charismatic Ford Atticus Ford, former reality TV rockstar who had his own ghostbusters-type series going. The backstories of Ford and ex-partner Mike, as well as the reason their series was cancelled (with the missteps of their handling 5-yr old Chelsea's case) are what really kept this going for me. Doane (or Ernie Lindsey) certainly has a talent for creating drama through the present colliding with the past. I did feel ...more
Fungi From Yuggoth
Review: THE DARK MAN by Desmond Doane
[THE GRAVEYARD: CLASSIFIED PARANORMAL SERIES BOOK 1]

Is it astonishing to call a paranormal novel both scary and heartwarming? Both in-your-face horrifying and also touching? That's my view of THE DARK MAN. I lapped up the horror (top-grade demons, oh my!) and simultaneously enjoyed the fully-fleshed characters, the insights into their lives and integrity, their reasons and rationales, their fears and wishes. Thankfully this will be an ongoing series. After al
Dave
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I voted for Dark Man on Kindle Scout and was excited when the book was completed. Doane did not disappoint me. I am not a fan of TV "ghost hunting" programs and I liked this book for all the reasons I don't like the TV shows. So many vectors, good vs evil, man vs himself... I felt like I was there with them, listening, peering into corners, wanting to run but sticking it out. I felt the evil. Great job Ernie (I mean Desmond).
It sounds cliche, but I am really anxiously waiting for the next book i
Hollie
This was a decent ghost hunting/paranormal mystery. I enjoyed the characters and the plot flowed fast. I was a bit disappointed upon closure. There seemed to be a lot left unresolved. I doubt I will personally continue this series. I am glad it was offered as a kindleunlimited.
Alexandra
Feb 19, 2016 marked it as to-read-own
2/19/16 $2.00 for Kindle.
Whitney Cannavina
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Let me just say I love paranormal and supernatural in general. I don't get creeped out much but the author had me literally on the edge of my seat with this novel. Amazing.
Mary
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this book. The spooky part, the not-so-perfect but very likeable characters, the friendship between Ford and Mike. I will definitely read the next book in the series. =)
Tiffany Jones
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**FTC DISCLAIMER: I RECEIVED AN E-ARC FROM NETGALLEY IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW. RECEIPT OF THIS BOOK IN THIS MANNER DOES NOT AFFECT MY OPINION OF THE BOOK OR THE CONTENT OF MY REVIEW.**

Ford Atticus Ford, the former host of the hit ghost hunting show Graveyard: Classified, has more than a few regrets, many of which center around five year old Chelsea Hopper being attacked by a demon on live television. But, it’s never enough. What occurred when Ford chose chasing ratings and stardom cloud
Lana Hart
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

Color me impressed. I've been bingeing on horror lately and have been disappointed with the offerings I've found, but The Dark Man by Desmond Doane is actually modern horror done quite well, with a few caveats.

First, the good things. Very compelling story. It's capitalizing off of a "Ghost Hunters" trend going on in other forms of horror media right now, most notably movies that end up on my Netflix stream ("Grave Encounters," among others, have done the same). Much of what Doane write
Darcia Helle
I'm a sucker for a paranormal/supernatural story that makes me question every creak of my floorboards, and this book delivers on that level of edginess. We venture into the world of spirits and demons, cross over into demonic possession, and open doors to all sorts of hidden possibilities. The author handles these aspects well, making it all feel believable.

The pacing is steady and kept me engaged throughout. Ford is the only developed character, but it works out fine because the book is written
Renee
Oct 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
This is a cliche piece of trash that I'm forcing myself to finish because I don't like walking away from a book, just in case it has at least one redeeming quality ... I'll keep looking but my hopes aren't high, especially when he's got gems like, 'I'm a poet and I know it' floating around the pages. Yikes! Also, this is a perfect example of work that tells instead of shows. Also, we have an adult protagonist trying to be 'cool' by being immature which I'm afraid might be the normal state of the ...more
Nikki
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cool take on the paranormal "normal" story

I enjoyed this book immensely!! Like the premise of being a former reality TV star trying to make up for past wrongs and finds out he has a follower that isn't a fan that he would appreciate. Won't spoil for those who haven't read it. So glad there's another book in the series (maybe more, haven't researched it yet) because I blew through this in a few hours & don't want it to end so soon.
Randy
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
New Beginnings

Ford attitude Ford and Mike Long once had a ghost-hunting reality show on cable TV. An incident recounted in alternating chapters early in the book tells how it all went wrong and caused innumerable lawsuits.

Actually, it was mostly Ford and an ego that drove him, a fact that he regrets two years later. He gets his chance and his friend Mike back in this opening chapter of a new series.

Very promising beginning.

Highly recommended.
Donald L McGill
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A FANTASTIC BOOK TO START A G R E A T SERIES. ! ! !

OK I'm on board..great reading..The Dark Man is a great read, keep turning the pages, meet the main

Scary thing..it will get your attention..

Already have book two...LOVE this new series..KEEP the books coming.

Justin Robinson
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not bad, not great. Probably deserves more like 2.5 stars.

It ends up leaving you hanging a bit more than it should, and the genuinely creepy parts have been seen a hundred times before.
Donna Rae Jones
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ever watched one of those ghost-hunter reality shows? You know the ones; where creeped-out participants scare themselves delirious in confined and draughty corners? Startled senseless by every creak and nudge?

Bulging eyes magnified under night vision cameras … you know the set-up.

If so, then you’ll recognise the premise of Desmond Doane’s The Dark Man, in which the preposterously named Ford Atticus Ford, ghost-hunter extraordinaire, battles demons, both inner and outer.

We find the former TV ho
Ashley
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started reading this book I didn’t know that it was the first of a three book series. Nonetheless, I really like this book! I’m about to begin reading the second book but I have to say that this book does a god job of setting the scene while still being entertaining. In this first book we get to meet some main characters while being introduced to a murder mystery as well as a haunting. Which may or may not be connected. (Not going to spoil anything for you.)

This is the paranormal book th
Jool
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I usually don't read many paranormal books, but this one looked good; I just finished it and it was VERY good!!!! It really was scary, gave me chills, wasn't just 'things that go bump in the night'. This is the first in a series, and I am going to get the next one as well.
I really recommend this book. The writing is great, the hairs will stand up on the back of your neck - and yet it isn't the blood and gore type scary (but it could be imagined easily enough!) I like these kind of scary now! May
Jim Kratzok
Much more than I expected!

This book kicks ethereal butt! Literally. Ford Atticus Ford (not sure about that name - almost kept me from reading the book) is a psychic investigator. Formerly the co-star of a TV show dedicated to investigating the paranormal, Ford is on his own now after a major screw-up that injured a 5 year old girl during a live broadcast of a demon hunt.

This story has Ford running into some very disturbing stuff in his new role as a psychic detective helping the police in variou
Vnunez-Ms_luv2read
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This was my first time reading this author, but it will not be my last. I loved the story, and the writing. The books jumps in time, but the transition is seamless. If you enjoy paranormal reading, this is the book for you. Thanks to NetGalley, the author and the publisher for the ARC of this book. FTC DISCLAIMER: I RECEIVED AN E-ARC FROM NETGALLEY IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW. RECEIPT OF THIS BOOK IN THIS MANNER DOES NOT AFFECT MY OPINION OF THE BOOK OR THE CONTENT OF MY REVIEW.
Karen Hahn
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It has me hooked from page one and I couldn't stop reading. There is only one thing that stops me from giving it 5 stars. The entire books leads you to a climatic showdown ending that doesn't happen. You're left hanging. Wish I had realized when I bought the book that it was only the first in a series. Now I have to read book 2 and 3 as I just have to know what happens.
Nancy Harmon
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spine tingling. I read right through it. Good story with lots of emotion. The main character is a little chatty, but it’s part of his personality as a former show host. Every once in a while, I had to reread a sentence to make sure I understood what the author meant. I’ll definitely look for the next book.
Rebecca
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-scout
Well-written, creepy story. The story is in present day, with a few flashbacks to a demon encounter that went bad. They help you understand more why Ford Atticus Ford seeks his redemption and tracks down the demon that injured five-year-old Chelsea. There are a lot of insights into ghost-hunting that add meat to the story.
Lisa P
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

Reading this felt like I was watching an episode of any ghost hunting show with all of the behind the scenes stuff. What makes this book stand out is that nobody has any special abilities to see it hear ghosts, they all need equipment. Really enjoyed this book and will definitely continue the series.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Adding a cover to a paperback title 3 127 Sep 14, 2016 05:34PM

• The Occupant (Afterlife Investigations, #3)
  • The Gate
  • Remnant: A Caldwell & Feximal/Whyborne & Griffin Mystery (The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal, #3; Whyborne & Griffin, #3.5)
  • The Ghost of Shapley Hall
  • Draycott Everlasting: Christmas Knight & Moonrise (Draycott Abbey #7.5 & 6)
  • The Girls with Games of Blood
  • The Forest of Forever (Soren Chase #1)
  • The Moor
  • The Spirit Chaser (Spirit Chasers, #1)
  • Merkabah Rider: High Planes Drifter (Merkabah Rider #1)
  • The Supernaturals
  • The Dex-Files (Experiment in Terror, #5.7)
  • Big Woods
  • Spirits from Beyond (Ghost Finders, #4)
  • Superstition
  • Seattle on Ice (A Brick Ransom Adventure, #2)
  • Old Haunts:  A London City Novel

The Graveyard (2 books)
  • The White Night (The Graveyard #2)
“I’m not religiously religious, but I’m happy to call Jesus my copilot when it feels necessary.” 0 likes
“Are you nuts? Why’re you not in there already? The old Ford would’ve run in there with a Ouija board and a handful of batteries like he was handing out Halloween candy.” “That giant clawed handprint on your side makes this one a little different.” 0 likes