Start by marking “Bossy Flossy” as Want to Read:

Bossy Flossy

Flossy is the bossiest girl around. She's bossy at home and she's bossy in school. She's bossy with her friends, and sometimes she's even bossy to her teacher! Well-meaning Flossy doesn't understand why no one will listen to her.

Then Flossy meets Edward, a boy who is just as bossy as Flossy. But the collision of these two strong-willed forces has a surprising result: they
Published July 19th 2016 by Henry Holt and Company

To ask other readers questions about Bossy Flossy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bossy Flossy

Start your review of Bossy Flossy
Abigail
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Children's Stories About Good Manners & Consideration for Others
Flossy was a very bossy girl. She liked to boss her cat, her younger brother, even her mother and teacher! Every time she encountered some sort of limitation, like being sent to her room at home or given a time out at school, she felt aggrieved, as if people weren't listening to her. She remained oblivious to the way in which her behavior affected others, until a new student named Edward showed up, and proved to be every bit as bossy as she. Would the two become friends or enemies...?

Katie W
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Flossy is a bossy girl, no matter where she goes or who she is with. I think that most children can relate to her, whether they are bossy themselves or have someone who is bossy towards them. This darling story uses words, as well as wonderful illustrations to teach children an important lesson about friendship and the give and take of relationships.

The illustrations are colorful and expressive and they easily captured my attention. My daughter is getting a little old for picture books (at the
Bonnie Ferrante
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is such a great feeling when I find a picture book that both my granddaughter and I enjoy. Bossy Flossy had turned us into Paulette Bogan fans by the third page.

Flossy butts heads with everyone, including her toys. The book begins with Flossy standing in the middle of her bedroom telling all her toys what to do. With one hand on her hip and the other pointing, she demands, Sit up straight. Look at me. Listen to me. Pay attention. Do what I tell you. She is bossy to her cat, her little
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
As soon as we received this book in the mail, we liked the look of it. A little redhead is on the front cover with a bossy stance. She's on her bed with her stuffed toys and it looks like she means business. I love it! I've taken that same stance when addressing my teen kids. And I'm a redhead!

But seriously, this is the beauty with kidlit. It can touch both children and adults. So with the catchy title of this book and it's attractive front cover, my son and I dug in. Flossy is a bossy kid.
Sheri
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you know a bossy little girl you will see her in this book. Flossy tells everyone what to do and how to do it. And during her reign of bossiness she meets another child who competes for the bossiest. The resolution at the end is fun to read to young children. They think they know someone who is like Flossy but never recognize themselves. Similar to Mean Jean the Recess Queen book.
Sara Strand
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
You can guess that this is a children's book and an adorable one at that. It's only 32 pages but it's a fast read and would be a great book for your first and second grader to read on their own. It would also be a great classroom read for those of you who are teachers, or volunteer readers, because you can really make it fun by changing up your voice while reading. Clearly the topic of the book would be a great classroom discussion, especially with the beginning of the school year, some kids ...more
Carla
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It is hard not to be bossy as a child, sometimes they can't control their own emotions or even making up with their own perceived disadvantages of being smaller by being bossy. I know my youngest can sometimes be quite bossy but he doesn't always mean it. When children first meet someone with the same personality they can get quite a shock. Are they really that mean and pushy?? (I know adults can have quite a shock to when they meet their match!). But in some ways this is a good thing, they can ...more
Bookroomreviews.com leonardo
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think most little girls (and boys) are at one point just a little bit too Bossy! Ive written about my Grand Daughter many times.Especially when I read a book that reminds me of her. Well heres another one. Bossy Flossy is all about a little girl that likes to have things her own way.She seems to like bossing people (and even her cat) around. She sees nothing wrong with that.

If you happen to know a child like this ,you know the one with the attitude this is the book for them. There is a nice
Cheryl
Jul 16, 2016 rated it liked it
I thought this was a cute, quick read. For the younger readers this book is a very easy book to read. There are not any huge words and the story is set with speech bubbles instead if sentences. So I thought it made the story easier to read this way. Plus the comments were short. The illustrations were great...colorful but simple without being over-crowed and distracting. A nice lesson to be taught from this book...it is ok to want to have your voice heard but there is a right way and a wrong way ...more
Literary  Chanteuse
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This book is an instant favorite with large colourful and bold illustrations that enhance and entice continued reading. Flossy is certainly bossy however when she meets her match the story delivers a subtle message of tolerance and acceptance. A must read for those toddlers who this age group no doubt targets however even my ten year adores this story. An all around good choice for parents and kids.

I received a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Hannah Hayes
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fun
This book is about a very bossy little girl named Flossy. She doesn't understand why no one takes her seriously until she meets a little boy who is just as bossy as she is. I think this is good story for kids because sometimes when they don't know how to communicate what they want or need they can be bossy. It has a good message about the downside of being bossy and might speak to many students as they navigate how to appropriately express their feelings.
Rebecca
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Easy read for a beginning reader. Great for follow up discussions. Paulette Bogan's both wrote and illustrated this humorous tale about a girl named Flossy and her friends learning about how to interact with each other in a positive way. Bogan's illustrations are cute and well thought out for the story line.
Mary
Bossy Flossy learns an important lesson when she meets Edward, a new student, who is just as bossy. A useful picture book to review classroom etiquette and conflict resolution.
Megan
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paulette-bogan
I would give this book 5 stars because it is a very connectable book for young readers. The book is about a young girl who is very bossy and controlling to her classmates. She runs into a boy who is even more controlling and soon learns what it is like to talk be controlled and bossed around. The illustrations are done beautifully and I can really connect to the young girl. I also know the author was bossy when she was young, so knowing where the book came from makes it even better.
Create With Joy
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bossy Flossy is a fun yet educational book about a highly opinionated, bossy little girl who doesn't understand why people won't listen to her - and why she is always getting into trouble for helping other people out - until she meets her match in Edward - her bossy friend and male counterpart!

Will Flossy and Edwards friendship survive their propensity to out-boss one another? What insights about herself will Flossy gain through her relationship with Edward?

Bossy Flossy will delight parents and
Leila
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A and I read this together and we both truly enjoyed it.

A, 3 years old, paid very close attention; she liked the illustrations; and she thought it was a humorous book, especially when Flossy was bossy to her mom and told her mom to go to her room.

The book has a valuable lesson in it for children and is a fairly easy read. I would say a first grader could read this with very little trouble.

The illustrations are cute and colorful which really held As attention and while she may not have completely
Amy
Sep 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-reviews
Flossy is very bossy! She is always telling everyone around her what to do including her cat, her dog, and her MOM! When given time-out in her room, Flossy spends it mumbling about who is "really" bossy - her or her mother. She is also bossy at school to her classmates and teacher. Then she meets a boy who is just as bossy as she. They butt heads with their bossiness til they both end up in time out! In conclusion, they each learn to be a little less bossy and a bit more suggestive of their ...more
Stephanie Ward
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Everyone has met Flossy. Or is Flossy! Come on, you know who you are.

Flossy is definitely bossy. She even bosses around her toys. Though you may be charmed by her crazy, curly hair and that bright, I-know-what-Im-doing look in her eye, eventually you will tire of doing everything Flossys way.

But Flossy has never experienced this so-called bossy fatigue, not until another little boss, Edward, shows up. As Flossy and Edward become instant frenemies, they recognize the bossiness in each other.
Kaisha (The Writing Garnet)
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a wonderful children's book! As I'm sure a lot of you are aware, children tend to go through a 'i'm the boss' phase. But, it is an important phase as they learn independence and their boundaries. However, there will come a point when the 'i'm the boss' phase is a bit TOO much and sitting down with the child over a cup of coffee (or hot milk for them) having a discussion, doesn't quite give the best result. Luckily, Paulette Bogan thought of an alternative. Children gravitate towards ...more
Tonja Drecker
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book takes a girl's very bad habit, makes it hit home and manages to leave the reader both thoughtful and bearing a smile.

Flossy is bossy. Very, very much so. She tells everyone what to do and doesn't let anyone come at her with a word otherwise. Until an amazing thing happens, and she finds herself on the taking end of this horrible trait. But Flossy isn't about to let anyone get the better of her.

The moment the first page hits, it's clear--this book isn't only a treat for young listeners
Brooke Showalter (Brooke Blogs)
Bossy Flossy by Paulette Bogan is a children's picture book that does an excellent job of teaching children about bossiness and how not to be bossy. Flossy is the bossiest girl around. She bosses kids. She bosses her toys. She bosses grown-ups. She gets put in time-out because of it. Then one day, while she is being bossy, she meets another bossy kid, Edward. They butt heads for a while, until finally...they realize that no one needs to be bossy.

The illustrations and the story line are so much
Leslie Morgan

Bossy Flossy appealed to me when I first received the e-mail with the option to review it. That little girl on the cover reminds me so much of me as a kid! And, maybe, just maybe, I was a little bossy too. I was so excited to read Bossy Flossy with Mason and we did just that as soon as it came in the mail.

The story of Bossy Flossy starts off telling about Flossy and just how bossy she was to each of the people she interacted with each day. Then she meets Edward and he's just as bossy as she
Meagan Myhren-bennett
By Paulette Bogan

Flossy is just plain bossy, there is no other way to describe her. She bosses around her toys, her kitty, her mom (which didn't end well Flossy ended up in TROUBLE), her classmates, and her teacher (another not so good idea on Flossy's part). It seems as if Flossy is on a path to stardom as the world's bossiest person.

But one day everything changes - she meets Edward and the title for bossiest kid in the world is up for grabs! But sometimes the best way to end
Amy
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bossy Flossy is a very cute, colorful childrens book about a little girl named Flossy, who as the title suggests is very bossy. Her bossy attitude does not make her fun to play with or be around and a couple of times she is bossy to her mom and teacher, and those times she gets in really big trouble. Then one day she meets her match, a bossy little boy by the name of Edward. Now Flossy is the one getting bossed around. This is a fun read with an important lesson that my six year old son enjoyed ...more
Stephanie
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Flossy is a young girl who bosses everyone around. She tells them what to do and how to do it; she definitely has the best way. She bosses everyone from her cat to her mother. However, when Flossy meets a new student, Edward, she seems to have met her match. Edward begins to boss Flossy around they will figure out on their own how to change for the better.
Bossy Flossy is a fun book that has a great message for kids and adults. Instead of just telling kids that bossing around others is bad, the
Jessica
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
*This is my daughter's review*.

Not to be bossy to anyone because your just gonna get into trouble.

This book is about a little girl who is always being bossy. Her name is Flossy. Flossy was bossy to her toys. She was bossy to her cat. Flossy was bossy to her little brother. She was even bossy to her mother. Flossy's mother told her to go to her room, then Flossy told her mother to go to her room. Flossy was even bossy at school, she messed someone's painting and she told kids how to dress in
M.M. Hudson
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
My review:
I have known a few bossy children in my time as a teacher and mother. It is without a doubt frustrating for all when such a child is near. That is why I could understand Flossy and Edward.

It was nice to see the ending but I felt something was missing. When I taught preschool, we used redirection for children like Flossy and Edward and different other techniques to teach children why they were in trouble or why kids did not want to play with them. In the book, Flossy and Edward are sent
Barbara
Many of us will recognize someone we know or even ourselves in Flossy. While she has the best intentions, she simply cannot resist bossing everyone around her. In fact, she even tries to boss her mother and her teacher, mistakes she won't make again soon. Still, even while serving out her punishment for those infractions, she never blames herself, but instead, turns her annoyance on others. But Bossy Flossy meets her match in Edward who is every bit as bossy as she is. After she experiences ...more
Michelle
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing

`Bossy Flossy` is a girls friendship and manners book, written and illustrated by Paulette Bogan. I felt this would be a funny, but informative book for girls ages 8-10. The text is organized into short sentences. Maybe one or two sentences per page. This organization is sufficient and wonderful for beginning readers, even younger than eight. Plus, it could always be read to the child by a parent or caretaker.

From the front of the book we see Flossy being bossy to her stuffed animals, and so
Sherry Lynn
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-book
And what I thought about Bossy Flossy . . .
Charming. Colorful. Delightful. At least the moral was. Flossy is a bit bossy. She is bossy to her poor animals. She is bossy to her cat and brother and mother. And her friends at school. And then one day she meets someone who bosses her back. She's met her match and finds a friend. And learns to be a friend.
I enjoyed reading this sweet little book. Well it's not little. It's rather big. Perfect for little ones.
It's a book for parents to read and

• People Don't Bite People
  • Make Way for Ducklings
  • Summer Frost
  • Lila and the Crow
  • You Have Arrived at Your Destination
  • The Last Conversation (Forward collection)
  • The Gray Ghost (Fargo Adventure, #10)
  • Dispel Illusion (Impossible Times, #3)
  • Doors in the Air