Start by marking “Max the Brave” as Want to Read:
Max the Brave

Max the Brave

(Max)

A New York Times and USA Today Bestseller!

Max is a fearless kitten. Max is a brave kitten. Max is a kitten who chases mice. There's only one problem-Max doesn't know what a mouse looks like! With a little bit of bad advice, Max finds himself facing a much bigger challenge. Maybe Max doesn't have to be Max the Brave all the time...

Join this adventurous black cat as he very
Published September 8th 2015 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky (first published June 5th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Max the Brave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Max the Brave

Dani - Perspective of a Writer
Check out more picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

This is Max. Max the Brave who wants to prove himself by catching a mouse... only he doesn't know what a mouse looks like, so off he goes to find out. As he goes he asks if the animal is a mouse and each time is told no, until...

I heard a lot about this book and loved the idea of the drawings! I wasn't disappointed though I found it quite odd that he doesn't know what a mouse is as it should be instinctual to know... or you should a
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
Thank you NetGalley for awarding me to read this cute little book.

Max is an adorable little kitten. The pictures are charming. Something I would have loved to learn reading with, I used to tell stories from pictures before I could read words, then I would remember the words that others had read to me and tell that story.

I recommend Max the brave for all the tiny learning to read children
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
Cute book. I have to agree it's a little bit of "Are you my mother?" Max is a cat that is tired of being thought of as cute. He wants to bravely stalk and chase a mouse, but he has no idea what a mouse looks like. We follow Max on his quest to find and catch a mouse. I really loved Max's expressions.

The only mild complaint I have is that most of the kids this is written for won't know what the phrase, "not all it's cracked up to be" means. I had to stop and explain to my five year old what that
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books

Max is a brave, determined kitten. A kitten who wants to chase mice, but he has one itty bitty problem. He doesn’t know what a mouse looks like. So he sets out to find one! From elephants to monsters, Max asks them all if they're a mouse or if they know where to find one. Can Max find what he’s looking for in the answers and silliness?

I loved these colorful pages! Colors jump out at you as you flip and fan through. Max’s black coat really stands out against the solid backgrounds of color—red, y
Shoa Khan
This is the story of Max, a very brave kitten, who is so so adorable! (^.^)

Max also happens to be a mouse-catcher. There's a small problem, however. Max does not know what a mouse looks like! :|
But Max will not let sth this trivial deter him. He goes around asking everybody he runs into if they're a mouse!
Although this image is quite tiny, I found this particular illustration where he climbs a tree full of birds to inquire abt mice esp cute! (Yes, birds make me swoon!)

Eventually he runs into som
Hilary
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Max is a kitten. Max knows he is a brave hunter of mice. Now if only he knew what a mouse was, so he could chase it...

I love the story, and can't wait to share it with my toddler!

Disclaimer: I received a free copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Rachel (never_too_many_books)
THE BEST BABY BOOK. My precious Max. <3 As the owner of a black kitten, I can attest to the adorableness of this book. :)
Kelly Hager
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't read picture books very often, but Max the Brave makes me want to change that.

This book is absolutely adorable and my goddaughter (Rory the Brave) is going to love it when she gets it for Christmas.

Max is the best mouse-catcher ever---or would be, if he knew what a mouse was. He tries to learn more about what mice are and how they look, but not everyone is as forthcoming as he would like.

This book is a complete delight from the text to the pictures to the perfection that is Max (the brav
Jay
This ARC kindly provided by NetGalley on behalf of the publisher.

simple pictures, simple story, but very cute and funny. My boy had a good laugh at Max being brave and chasing “monsters”.
Bailey
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Please note that this is a dual review with F.

Is anyone ever to old for a children's novel? Well, we think not! Too often we get caught up and frazzled in our busy lives, and we just need something simple and cute to read to get us feeling normal again. Reading Max the Brave took us back to our roots, when years ago we first started to read and beg our parents to come and tell us just one more bedtime story. We felt like children again, and we loved it, to say the least!!!

The story depicts the
AJ
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Read this review and more at Pretty Bookmarks)

I loved Max the Brave.

I’m always on the lookout for children’s books for my younger sister and trying to get her to be more interested in books. Max the Brave was perfect.

In some ways, Max the Brave was very interactive. Max is a cat who is trying to be more brave and catch a mouse — the thing is, he doesn’t know what a mouse looks like. So off we go following Max and his journey to look for a mouse. He travels, meeting an array of different anima
Luna
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uk-authors
Max is a very cute kitten, sometimes people put bows on him – which he doesn’t like. Because he’s a brave kitten that chases mice, or he will. Once he finds a mouse.

Loved this book, from the drawings and text to the story. It’s just wonderful. I can imagine it would captivate young readers being read to, as well as those learning to read. There is so much personality in Max.
Emma
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-2015
This is so adorable. Max the kitten is very brave and goes on an adventure to find a mouse to chase. Colors are spectacular, vibrant and bold. Story is adorable and engaging. Five stars. Adding this to my list to buy for our home library.
Lynn
May 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kids will delight in knowing more than Max and in the monster.
Edward Sullivan
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Max is a kitten who is certain of his outstanding mouse-catching abilities. He's just not sure what a mouse looks like. Simple, charming, and fun.
The Library Lady
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Adorable and sweet without saccharine. Bold, simple pictures and a simple story give this potential for story time, and kids will enjoy identifying the othe animals as Max the kitten tries to figure out which one is a mouse. A winner.
P.S. I bought this fearlessly because I adored Vere's book Banana, which I fear is now out of print. Here's hoping the success of the Max books encourages a reprint, because the copies at my library are falling apart!
Garrett
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: story-time
Max is a brave little kitten looking to murder a mouse. He's ready to do some real damage--by which I mean death--to this mouse, too. Unfortunately for Max, he lives in a place where elephants are more common than mice, apparently. And monsters.

Still--that won't stop Max the Brave from murdering who he wants!
Earl
Apr 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Max is intent to catch a mouse if only he knew what mice looked like. A fun story.
Damon
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my 2 y/o's favorite stories. He laughs and laughs at the end. We read it a couple times a week!
Selena
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
Super adorable. Gave me a nice little pick me up on a rainy day. Kitten adventures are always fun for all ages.
Jacob
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Awesomely cute!
Jess at Such a Novel Idea
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. It did not affect my honest opinion.

My six-year-old and I read this book no less than three times the first time we picked it up. It is absolutely adorable!

Max is a kitten who doesn't like cute bows and just wants to chase mice. If he knew just what a mouse was.

Reminiscent of one of my favorite books growing up, Are You My Mother?, Max goes on a quest to find a mouse... so he can do his catly duty and chase him. Except he can't see
Sheila
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute story of Max the Brave who is a mouse hunter but does not know what a mouse looks like. He is curious and will ask questions as he searches for a mouse. When he gets a scare, he realizes he does not have to be the mighty mouse hunter, Max the Brave. He just needs to know he can be if necessary. Great illustrations. I loved Max the Brave in his superhero cape. Great for your young ones.
Beyond the Pages
Max the Brave was absolutely adorable. I loved the simple storyline, animal identification, verb play, and illustrations. I found myself laughing hysterically at the mouse monster's consumption of Max the Brave. The yuck factor even got a few giggles from this old kid at heart. Hahaha...

I hope to see Max the Brave again. He was charming.
Selina
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, bea15
This book is just far too adorable for me to handle. On day 1 of BEA, this was the book I sought out and it did not disappoint. Though a children's illustrated book, I thought it was very clever. The drawings are great and I enjoyed the story. It did remind me a bit of "Are you my mother?" from Dr. Seuss, but that isn't a bad thing!

It also helps that Max is a dead ringer for my cat Ghost...
Bekka
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Edelweiss and Sourcebooks Jabberwocky for early access to this title.

This is a cute story about a little kitten who bites of more than he can chew. The simple illustrations are quite charming, and kids will get a kick out of this story.
Shandra
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adorable Max the Brave wants to chase a mouse... but he doesn't really know what a mouse is... Great for a preschool storytime, and I may even try to slip it in to a family storytime if the kids lean to the older side, since it's so fun.
Darshana Khiani (Flowering Minds)
Beginning felt a tad ordinary but the climax and ending were fantastic!
I can see pre-schoolers liking this one, after all what child doesn't want to be in the 'know'.
Cats of Ulthar February Weird Fiction
REVIEW: Max the Brave by Ed Vere

Max is brave and courageous, but also foolhardy and confused. Laugh-out-loud illustrations of Max' s competence will delight very young readers.
  • There Are No Cats in This Book
  • Shh! We Have a Plan
  • Rupert Can Dance
  • How to Catch a Mouse
  • Mummy Cat
  • The Very Fluffy Kitty, Papillon (Papillon, #1)
  • Here Comes the Easter Cat
  • Big Bad Bubble
  • Matilda's Cat
  • Cat Nap
  • Pepper  Poe
Ed Vere has been writing and illustrating children’s books since 1999. He is also a fine art painter and is represented by galleries in London and Los Angeles. He lives in London.

Max (3 books)