Start by marking “For Love or Money” as Want to Read:
For Love or Money

For Love or Money

Do you write for love or money? With the advent of indie publishing, this question vexes writers like it never has before—for the first time, you can literally chase trends, feeding the fans of that lucrative genre that’s flying off the shelves. But what if the stories you love to write aren’t the kind that are selling like ice water in July? How do you create a career in ...more
Published July 14th 2015 (first published July 2nd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about For Love or Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Love or Money

J.F. Penn
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
All creatives must balance creating for love or money. We all need both and this book outlines how Quinn has balanced this herself. Includes how to make what you love more commercial, why you book might not be selling, building your backlist and writing for money.
Rachel Morgan
Calling all authors willing to take their writing career seriously! If you've self-published a book or two but still find yourself floundering a bit, or you've had some success but are looking to take your writing career to the next level, this book is for you. In a non-judgemental and logical way that is also, at times, philosophical, Susan lays out what it means to write for love or to write for money (or both) and how to go about building a career no matter which camp you find yourself in. De ...more
Siobhan Davis
I have long been an admirer of Susans. Not only is she a great author (I've read some of her books and her fiction writing is stellar), but she's a very savvy business woman too. I follow her blog and often peruse it when I am looking for guidance on something related to writing or publishing. She is a very generous person with her time and her advice and a fantastic advocate for self-publishing.

There are a lot of charlatans out there pertaining to have all the answers to successful writing, pub
Graeme Ing
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
Incredible knowledge inside this book, but I recommend that you read Susan's "Indie Author Survivor Guide" first, if you haven't. Susan says that she wrote "For Love or Money" to "shine a flashlight into the darkness ahead." I think she succeeded admirably and I particularly enjoyed the insights into her own career. As a scientist, I love empirical evidence.

Warning: This book will make you think hard about your writing path. :) That's a good thing. Introspection leads to learning. After 2 indie
Ron Estrada
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A must for an indie writer at any level in his or her career. Susan gives us plenty of data and resources to back up her advice. Excellent book!
Katherine Owen
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a great resource for writers. Susan Kaye Quinn covers most everything in this book and I appreciate her experience. The only problem I have is those still using Word. Scrivener is where it is at for ebooks/Kindle along with Sigil and Adobe InDesign for book covers and interiors is amazing although it comes with a steep learning curve. That is what YouTube videos and seaching Google are for.

SKQ has some great points for those aspiring to participate in the book publishing business.
Rachel Brune
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm currently working on a re-boot of my writing, marketing, and business plan, and I found this book to be invaluable. I'm heading into her BOOTCAMP book right now!
Jane-Holly
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent!

This is a terrific book by SKQ - as someone starting out looking at the wide world of Indie Publishing I found this incredibly helpful. HIGHLY recommend!
Kara Jorgensen
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Real rating: 4.5 stars (great but The Indie Author Survival Guide cannot be beat)

Once again Ms. Quinn has created a fantastic guide for authors to figure out how to do what they love and still be able to carve out a life for themselves. Writers learn about how to write for love, focus on making their for-love project more commercial, or writing for the current trend. This is not a get rich quick type of book. Throughout it, Quinn reminds readers that she is telling them what has worked for her o
Christine Rains
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Whether you're a new writer or a seasoned one without big success, this is the book for you. If you're looking for all the technical aspects of being an indie writer, check out Quinn's Indie Author Survival Guide. This book talks about writing for love and how to sell it, writing for money and how to sell it, and how you can do both together.

I was skeptical. I've read a lot about marketing and haven't had much success, but this excellent book puts everything in a way that clicked for me. The way
Cherie
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Writers don't have to choose to write for love OR money. We can do both and learn how to do so in Susan Kaye Quinn's For Love or Money. This book works in tandem with SKQ's Indie Author Survival Guide. I enjoy the colloquial style to the book as well as the recaps to each chapter. Although this book is geared toward Indie/self-published authors, I believe it'll be beneficial for any writer considering publishing their work. I found it helpful in re-evaluating where I've been as a writer and wher ...more
Jessica Aspen
Aug 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loved this book! It was incredibly timely for me. I love writing my fantasy romances and sexy shifter fairytale twists, but when it comes down to it, they don't hit the bulk of the market. So, I have to decide: write so I earn enough money to eat? Or continue to write books I love that may not make that much money. Turns out, you can do both! WOOT! (That's good because eating is important.)
Susan Kaye Quinn shares some secrets on taking those books you love and moving them a little farther up the
Kim Vandel
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
It's like SKQ read my mind and then addressed my fears. Being an indie author is a scary thing, and SKQ assures you that you're not alone. Every page delivers the message: YOU CAN DO THIS. If you're like me and don't like taking risks, this is the perfect opportunity to learn from someone who's willing to take risks, to try different things and share what she's learned. "For Love or Money" is insightful, encouraging, and empowering. If you're an indie author, you owe it to yourself to buy this b ...more
J.E. Hopkins
Jul 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Few facts, more philosophy

Better than most books of this kind; doesn't over-promise and concentrates on an approach to successful indie publishing rather than mechanics. However, I it seemed to me that it shared a common flaw with many of the others: too much padding rather than useful material.
Erica Crouch
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nothing like industry books to get you motivated!

I love reading industry books to get motivated in my own writing, and reading authors who are able to have successful -- and realistic -- careers is definitely inspiring!
Susan Tietjen
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought the info was fabulous, very helpful for the self-publisher author or anyone who just loves to write. I was a little annoyed with the typos that were far too frequent for such an accomplished author. She praised her editor, but I'm not impressed. That's okay, though, the information overshadowed the short-comings.
Jan Leotti
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic information and easy to read

SK Quinn tells it like it is. In addition to giving great information, she is inspiring, like a mother and drill sergeant rolled into one being. She's soft and hard as nails! Thanks SK Quinn for this awesome, kick in the pants look at what it means to self-publish.
Juneta Key
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Insightful, informative and about finding some balance and how this author did that.
Marion Hill
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
“Writing challenges me to discover who I am. Publishing challenges me to remember it.”

“You have to work like crazy, be smart, somehow invest every particle of emotion into the book itself, but then fling it out in the world and be ruthlessly pragmatic about how to sell it.”

Those two quotes (of many that I jotted down) from For Love or Money (Crafting An Indie Author Career) by Susan Kaye Quinn nails how indie authors should go about developing a writing career.

Quinn writes from a philosophical p
Alexia Purdy
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent resource for new and seasoned writers. It's not only a toolkit to enrich one's writing and discover how writing for love or money can come hand in hand, but it also helps a writer re-evaluate their own career, especially in an ever-changing market. I found this very motivating and insightful to help myself in finding what I need to do to adjust how I write in the constantly morphing markets of today, yet still enjoy writing immensely. I write for money, that's the way it is ...more
David
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great information about writing for love or writing to market. I love the idea that you can do both. Write your money-making books and your "craft" books that could also make you money.

The idea of writing to market wasn't fully explained. For the most part it was left to, "Research the market." She did give an example of how she analyzes new markets to write in, but that method might not work for everyone. Certainly not me.

Another thing that bothered me, like a lot of indie authors, was her gene
Kristy McCaffrey
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent resource for an author to understand his/her work in the context of the current e-publishing market. While Quinn’s advice seems obvious, it surprised me how much I gained from her insights. I’ve written for both love and money, and now I can put both to rest in my mind instead of struggling endlessly to sell a book that might not be all that marketable. And, as Quinn states, that’s okay. Along the same lines, writing for money is an important tool that an author must underst ...more
Pam
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
I powered through this book in a couple of days, and will definitely be returning to it again and again as my writer life progresses. With a no-nonsense approach, she tackles the issues and choices that writers with some publishing experience under their belt are grappling with. Delicious food for thought as she talks about the nuances between writing for love and for money, and why both are legitimate options.

And the section on joyful writing was a pleasure to read!
Laurel Decher
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indie
The title, For Love or Money, made me think this book would be about choosing between books you want to write and books that make money, but the book is much more holistic. It shows how you can edge Love books towards Money and vice versa and what authors can learn from writing each kind of book. I don't write in any of the genres that were the main parts of the discussion, but I still have a clear idea of how I could apply Susan Kaye Quinn's thinking to my genre. Worthwhile.
Alison Perry
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring!

This book was such a different take than the other books I've read on self publishing. I love the idea of writing for love AND for not feeling guilty attempting to write for money. This book has inspired me to explore some techniques with a pen name while still pursuing my love for writing YA. So glad I read this.
Jessica Samuels
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!

I loved The Indie Author Survival Guide and this one is just as valuable as the Guide. It gives you a ton of tips, and it's something every author should have in their library.
Kristen Otte
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for authors. It made me think hard about my trajectory and what books to write for love and for money. It's half practical advice, half motivation to keep you going. Great resource!
Christine Fonseca
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A must read!

This is a definite must-read addition to the authors library. Stop thinking you can't have it all as a writer and start embracing all it means to be an author-entrepreneur. This books gets to the heart of everything that means
Lisa Collins
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I feel like I owe Susan more than the price of the book. I've learned so much from this book and the Indie Authors Survival Guide. Together they have giving me a toolbox for creating the dream writer life I want and helps to course correct along the way.
Jessica
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing-craft
A great overview with in-depth tips for writing life in general, balancing writing with work, family, friends, and "real life", and how and when to self-publish. I really enjoyed this, and will probably pick up a paperback copy.
CLICK HERE for a FREE STORY

Susan Kaye Quinn is a rocket scientist turned speculative fiction author who now uses her PhD to invent cool stuff in books. Her works range from young adult science fiction to adult future-noir, with side trips into royal fantasy romance and middle grade. Her bestselling novels and short stories have been optioned for Virtual Reality, translated into German and French,
“Readers aren't going to commit to reading your stuff if they don't think you have committed to writing more—this is part of why authors with multiple titles are more successful in bringing in new readers.” 2 likes
“our stories are our unique contribution to the collective human imagination. We have to do this.” 0 likes