Start by marking “Brighter Than the Sun (The Lyndon Sisters, #2)” as Want to Read:
Brighter Than the Sun (The Lyndon Sisters, #2)

Brighter Than the Sun

(The Lyndon Sisters #2)

When Charles Wycombe, the dashing and incorrigible Earl of Billington, toppled out of a tree and landed at Ellie Lyndon‘s feet, neither suspected that such an inauspicious meeting would lead to marriage. But Charles must find a bride before his thirtieth birthday or he’ll lose his fortune. And Ellie needs a husband or her father’s odious fiancée will choose one for her. ...more
Published 2010 by Piatkus Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Brighter Than the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brighter Than the Sun

Start your review of Brighter Than the Sun (The Lyndon Sisters, #2)
♥ℳelody
Another Julia Quinn book that annoyed me to no end rather than delight me. Are rambling characters supposed to be cute?
 photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-13931-1377121955-30_zps4c6cb48b.gif

1. Every single conversation the hero and heroine have consists of just bickering. Nothing else. It’s always gainsaying the other, getting the last word in, correcting the other, arguing over nothing just to come off witty and smart (looking at you Ellie dear). Good Lord. This sets me on edge like nothing else could. And it’s not even the good kind of heated verbal sparring
[Aengell]
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful and funny book!

Julia Quinn can really put off funny Romances, and before I find my way to the Bridgertons, I want to be slowly introduced to this master of HR.

Her characters are always making me grin, giggle and laugh in a way that pulls me even more into the story. The story in this case is your typical marriage-of-convenience-story, and I'm a goner for that trope. I don't care whether that makes me biased or not.
The characters felt real and even the secondary characters
Linds
Do you know the feeling you get when your good married friends are bickering in front of you? It's vaguely uncomfortable, there's no where for you to go, and you wish they would knock it off so everyone can get back to their lives? That's Brighter Than the Sun.

That really is the main reason for me not enjoying this book much. The characters are cute enough, and it has a decent little plot. But listening the the h/h argue incessently for 275+ pages is tiring.

Ellie and Charles meet when Charles
Nisha
The second time around, it wasn't that great, but it's still worth a read.

December 2, 2009 - 5 stars

Safe to say, I loved this book. I wasn't even going in thinking I would like it, considering I have this bad habit of judging books by their cover. Plus, it wasn't part of the big family, like the Bridgertons.

Ok, I admit, the dialogue was fun, but the not really the height of wit, since Ellie tends to say 'I beg your pardon' everytime she didn't have a retort. Still, I loved the H/H interaction.
Barbara
Jan 25, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1 Star...I didn't like it.

I've been a member of this fine site for quite a while now and I've noticed a "1 Star" is (for some reason) very rarely handed out. I for one have no problem handing down a 1 if I didn't like the book. That's what these ratings scales are for, and that's why we're members here in the first place...to tell our "true" opinions on the books we read.

So with that said...

"Brighter Than the Sun" was as cornballish as they come. The whole book went pretty much like this "Yes
Hailee
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it

I've yet to read a Julia Quinn regency romance that I didn't enjoy. They have always been extremely light-hearted and emphasise the fun relationship between the hero and the heroine.
Sara ♥
(Sequel to Everything and the Moon)

October 22-23, 2010

April 8-9, 2010

Cute, cute book... Charles and Ellie are such a cute couple! ;)

July 1, 2007

It was SO CUTE! The bickering between the hero and heroine! HAHAHAH! I was DYING laughing the WHOLE BOOK! All this bad stuff keeps happening to them, and it's just SO FUNNY! I loved it! YAY for Julia Quinn!

And this book was DIFFERENT than others. I was SHOCKED when Charles Wycombe (Earl of Billington) proposed marriage to Eleanor (Ellie) at the end of
Courtnie
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, romance, 2015
On the whole, there was nothing really wrong with this book. It's old school Julia Quinn, with fast, witty dialogue and real sweetheart moments.
(view spoiler)
Leah
This book was much better than the first one of the series. I didn't absolutely love it, but it was funnier and much more interesting. Ellie and Charles didn't make me frequently consider suicide, so I consider that a good sign.
Josie
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
I was looking for something light and frothy, and this started out promisingly enough. The hero falls out of a tree, right at the heroine's feet, and they immediately begin bantering. So far so good! In fact, the following quote actually made me laugh out loud (and as I was in the staffroom at the time, that was rather awkward as my colleagues then insisted I read out the bit that had made me laugh).

"Lord Billington, I must insist that you use your cane."

"On you?" He sounded intrigued by the
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
3.5 Stars

Husbands don't grow on trees...but apparently they fall from them, especially when roaringingly drunk. This is something that Miss Ellie Lyndon finds out the hard way when Charles Wycombe, Earl of Billington, falls from an oak tree and straight on her toes, then not long after proceeds to make an offer of marriage. Although completely foxed Charles thinks the very prickly but lovely Miss Lyndon will make a perfect wife, especially as he only has a few weeks to find one before he loses
Avid Booker
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People Who Want Child Character's Who are Annoying
Recommended to Avid Booker by: Andrea
2.5 Stars

It wasn't terrible it wasn't great. It was a bit boring. But I got through it okay. There's not much to say in this review.

Our hero, he was supposed to go through this whole transformation from rake to reformed but he never seemed all that rakish to me. He seemed like a normal guy who wasn't ready to get married but had to. They argued so much about petty shit.. He was an adorable drunk lol

Our heroine, she was immature sometimes. Instead of telling everyone from the get-go about Claire,
Amanda S.
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it!

Sure there are stuff that kind of overkill, because seriously I've read better plot than this one. But somehow the way Charles and Ellie first met is pretty charming for me and I liked it. Almost like a dream come true, Ellie met Charles and he's in need of a wife. And apparently Ellie also in need of a husband. There you have it.

I adore how simple yet complicated plot, plus the way Julia Quinn write is simply mesmerizing! ><
Look forward to continue with this series! Been a
Pamela
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-books
Loved the characters. Lots of action :)
Rachel
Overall rating: 5 "Bright than the Sun" stars!

Triggers:
Cheating: (view spoiler)
Love triangle: (view spoiler)
Sex with om/ow: (view spoiler)
Intimate pasts: (view spoiler)
Caron Pescatore
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second time I'm reading this JQ novel. I first read it many years ago--more than ten--and remember loving it then, so when I discovered that my library had an e-copy of the book, I welcomed the opportunity to read it again. As you might expect of a Julia Quinn novel, the book is par excellence; it's well written with an interesting storyline, and well developed characters. Ellie and Charles make for an adorable couple! Ellie is a redhead and is quite the stereotype for that hair ...more
Bronwyn Rykiert
Victoria Lyndon, our heroine from Everything and the Moon, has a younger sister Eleanor, who is equally independent and feisty. Ellie is walking in the countryside near her home one day when a very handsome and very drunk man literally falls into her lap from a tree.

Charles Wycombe, the rakish Earl of Billington, must marry before his upcoming thirtieth birthday or lose his inheritance and he decides that Ellie will fit the bill. No, he has no intention to actually love her nor any other woman.
Amanda
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brighter Than the Sun is the first book of JQ's earlier works where the brilliance of her later works shines through. And it was awesome. Suddenly, reading in 15 or 30 minutes snippets just wasn't enough.

One, Charles is a character from a previous book, and that always earns extra points with me. I adore characters that carry through in other books/series and who get their own stories. Plus, reformed rakes do hold a special place in my heart, even when their rake-ish-ness is talked about more
Lita Bouquard
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I was literally bent over laughing at the slapstick comedy in this romance. Eleanor is clobbered by a drunken man who falls out of a tree and lands on top of her. As the daughter of a vicar she is a sensible, friendly, spinster. However this event (which involves a lot of physical damage to Charles) leads to a marriage proposal. This book has romance, humor and a mystery as Ellie makes an intellectual choice to leave her home when her father's witchy fiance makes the situation unbearable. I
Brandi Sellers
Jul 29, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Predictable. That about sums this up.

I always go into romance novels expecting the familiar, but this book was predictable down to the word. In fact, I suspect that I've read a variation of this book at least three times.

But it wasn't bad. I liked the characters. Enjoyed them, really. Their first encounter is charming and they have great chemistry. Though I found their lovey-dovey moment at the end to be this side of cheesy.

I think Ms. Quinn could have done better with this story. It has the
fleurette
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have always liked books by Julia Quinn. They are quick and funny read. Brighter Than the Sun is not an exception. It took me only one day to finish it.

The best part in all Julia Quinn historicals are the characters. Ellie and Charles are the couple the reader instantly fell in love with. I absolutely adored all the witty dialogues and comments. Interesting secondary characters are also a great advantage of the book. All the characters are different and well-developed.

There is also a suspense
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Falling out of a tree, dead druink, and on the feet of your future bride is a great beginning for Ellie and Charles. Not a proper courtship between them, but time is of the essence. She runs into some problems at first when trying to become the lady of the manor, but the culprit is identified and she is welcomed with open arms by everyone. His life and title become almost taken by his greedy and murderous cousin, but they work together to save both of their lives. Love develops and life returns ...more
Katherine
The hero in this book is delightful. The Heroine is a pain in the arse. Too much bickering, she never shut up. Several times I did find myself covering my mouth laughing but not enough to have really enjoyed this story. I told like tales that have a lot of fighting, it gets very tiresome. Still love JQ but this isn't one of her best.
Zoe
I read the first 30 pages and stopped. I can't take the story seriously. Maybe I am just not in the mood for a fluffy read.
Olga Godim
Not as good as her later novels, but not as bad as the earlier ones either, this regency romance must be a transition work. It even boasts some humor, so enjoyable in Quinn’s later books.
The female protagonist, Ellie, needs to marry quickly. Her father, the local vicar, is marrying in two months, and his bride-to-be is a termagant Ellie couldn’t abide. Unfortunately, the animosity is mutual. When a handsome drunken stranger falls out of a tree and lands at her feet, and later proposes marriage,
Suzannah
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Brighter Than the Sun is book 2 in Julia Quinn’s Lyndon Sisters series. In typical Quinn style, there is humor and steamy romance. I was annoyed to find quite a few grammar and spelling errors. But nothing to deter me from highly recommending this book. I can’t wait to read more by Quinn.
Jessica Grogan
DNF. Two stars because what I did read wasn't horrible, but it wasn't holding my attention either.
Shirlene
Eleanor Lyndon was walking home when Charles Wycombe, Earl of Billington, fell out of a tree onto her. He was drunk and ended up with a sprained ankle. She helped him get back to his carriage. They talked on the way there and he decided to ask her to marry him. He had gotten drunk because he was angry at his dead father for stipulating that he had to get married by his 30th birthday or a relative would inherit his father holdings. He had enjoyed talking to Eleanor and felt she would make a ...more
Cherie
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The main reason I love this book is because of Charles. He is a positively hilarious character, always finding humor. He is so charming, which made him the successful rake of reputation, that it feels unreal that Ellie is so reluctant to him. She comes off as petulant, not someone to admire. Once she finally realizes she is married to a wonderful man she becomes fiercely loyal but it takes her a bit long to get there for someone who values their intelligence as she does.
I don’t really like
kris
Oct 08, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Charles and Ellie end up married because of Plot Contrivances. Except she doesn't want to sleep with a Horrible Dirty Rake, and all he wants to do is sleep with his Stunning Hot Wife.

Oh, also there's yelling, sabotage, kidnap, yelling, murder, and more yelling.

1. SO MUCH GODDAMNED YELLING. Literally 80% of this book is Ellie and Charles YELLING AT ONE ANOTHER. And about the same stupid shit: Ellie is incompetent. Charles wants sex. It's the same conversation AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN.

For

• Where's My Hero? (The Gamblers of Craven's #2.5; Brotherhood - MacAllister's, #4.5; Splendid, #3.5)
  • The Ugly Duchess (Fairy Tales, #4)
  • Beauty and the Blacksmith  (Spindle Cove, #3.5)
  • The Rake (Lessons in Love, #1)
  • A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)
  • Do You Want to Start a Scandal (Spindle Cove, #5; Castles Ever After, #4)
  • When Beauty Tamed the Beast (Fairy Tales, #2)
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2)
  • When a Scot Ties the Knot (Castles Ever After, #3)
  • Say Yes to the Marquess (Castles Ever After, #2)
  • Marrying Winterborne (The Ravenels, #2)
  • Tempt Me at Twilight (The Hathaways, #3)
  • Never Judge a Lady by Her Cover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #4)
  • No Good Duke Goes Unpunished (The Rules of Scoundrels, #3)
  • Lord Dashwood Missed Out (Spindle Cove, #4.5)
  • A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1)
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
#1 New York Times bestselling author Julia Quinn loves to dispel the myth that smart women don't read (or write) romance, and and if you watch reruns of the game show The Weakest Link you might just catch her winning the $79,000 jackpot. She displayed a decided lack of knowledge about baseball, country music, and plush toys, but she is proud to say that she aced all things British and literary, ...more

The Lyndon Sisters (2 books)
  • Everything and the Moon (The Lyndon Sisters, #1)
“He smacked the heel of his hand against his forhead, as if that could knock the mental picture out of his head. Hell, he though irritably, he didn't want to knock the image just out of his head. He wanted to send it clear across the room and out the window.” 12 likes
“Am I not allowed to speak in hyperbole?"

"Only," he said, a bit too smoothly, "if you are talking about me."

Ellie's face slid into a smirk. "Oh, Charles," she exclaimed, "I feel as if we have known each other for a million years." Her tone grew more ironic. "I am that weary of your company.”
10 likes