Start by marking “Shade Me (Nikki Kill, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shade Me (Nikki Kill, #1)

Shade Me

(Nikki Kill #1)

Nikki Kill does not see the world like everyone else. In her eyes, happiness is pink, sadness is a mixture of brown and green, and lies are gray.

Thanks to a phenomenon called synesthesia, Nikki’s senses overlap, in a way that both comforts and overwhelms her.

Always an outsider, just one D shy of flunking out, Nikki’s life is on the fast track to nowhere until the night a m
Published January 19th 2016 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Shade Me, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Amber Martin
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

“I’m going to find out who did this to Peyton. And why.”

This was an interesting mystery story, and I liked the twists.

Nikki’s life seemed to be really affected by her synesthesia, but I was impressed with the way she used it to help her when trying to find out what happened to Peyton. She did take some big risks whilst investigating, but at least she had some martial art
AH
About 2.5 stars.
Synethesia is something that always intrigued me. I can't imagine having all of my senses crossed with numbers and letters in full technicolor. In Shade Me, Nikki Kill (yes, that's her name) has synesthesia and it affects both her academic and social life. Nikki receives a cryptic phone call from the most popular girl in school and suddenly she finds herself deep in a mystery.

The issue I had with this book is that our main character - a high school - is investigating the assaul
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5-4 Stars!

It is so nice when you find a YA book that is not only fun but has a totally new, totally fun concept behind it, not to mention an action fueled mystery.

Synesthesia was not new to me but in truth I didn't know a ton about it and this is the first time I can remember reading about it so that was a totally new experience for me and I loved it.

There were so many good aspects to this story that were interesting and kept me turning the pages. The mystery wasn't totally unpredictable but
Jen Ryland
Mixed feelings. There were things I loved about this book and some others I wasn't so crazy about. Quick list now and review to come.

Loved:
The noir-rsh LA setting
The overall mysterious/sinister vibe

Liked:
The fact that Nikki was a synesthete (with a spoiler-y caveat, below)
The fact that Nikki was kind of a screw-up
Though others may not agree, I liked the weird romance/non-romance that the main character had with three different guys. It kind of worked for me.

Not so crazy about:
The "coincidence" o
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I got from the publisher via Edelweiss.
Diversity Rating: 1 – Tokenism
Racial-Ethnic:
QUILTBAG: 0
Disability: 1 (Nikki and maybe Peyton have synesthesia)
Intersectionality: 0

I don’t think any of my favorite authors have work as inconsistent in their quality as Jennifer Brown does. Two of her novels have made me cry, two have left me feeling nothing at all, and now I’ve been reduced to anger. Thrillers are 100% my thing and giving the main
rachel
From the moment I saw the word synesthesia in the blurb of this book, I knew that I had to pick this book up. I have been mildly fascinating with the condition since learning about in primary school but I have never had the chance to read anything from the perspective of a synesthete before. However, this may or may not have largely been the reason I enjoyed this book as much as I did. While the overall story was entertaining and engrossing, I did have a lot of minor problems with how the romanc ...more
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
3.5 to 4 Stars

Dayla
Aug 24, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm fascinated by the fact that this already has a 2.75 rating. Must be pretty controversial for someone to already have their knickers in a twist. The last two books with ratings this low before the books even debuted that I read were rated badly by reviewers because of the controversial content...I'm more intrigued than put off now, to be honest.

Happy reading!
Ally
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
2 stars.

Shade Me had so much potential. I've devoured Jennifer Brown's books in the past and this was no exception. It was very well written. The atmosphere of suspense she created throughout the story kept me hooked so long that before I knew it half my flight home had already passed.

But that is, unfortunately, the only good thing about this story. I was surprised I disliked it so much despite being enthralled from the first page. I think this is one of those stories that I would have worshipp
Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)
Initial Impressions 1/7/16: Why do I always start out the new year with an iffy book? I was SO excited for SHADE ME because I adore creative concepts and I loved the idea of synesthesia (combining senses) helping main character Nikki solve a mystery. The way it came together though was so incredibly weird and unbelievable.
SHADE ME should have been an adult book and not young adult, in my personal opinion. Everything that happened -- trying to solve a mystery on your own, hook ups, secrets, lies
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
I'd like to thank Harper Collins for providing me with a copy of this book to read and give an honest review. Receiving this book for free has in no way altered my review or opinion.

So a while back I read a duaology about synesthesia. And I really enjoyed it. It was something new to me. Kind of paranormal but not. So when I read the blurb for this book I was completely intrigued to see where the author took this topic. Add in a mystery on top and this makes for quite an enjoyable read!

Nikki kill
Tonyalee
There are a 1001 thoughts racing through my mind about this book. I can’t, for the life of me, get my S together.

What drew me into this book was obviously, the premise, and Nikki’s synesthesia. It’s quite extraordinary yet… scary. I couldn’t even imagine. So I loved that Nikki had something so different, so rare, and I do feel like her struggles are very similar to those that do have synesthesia.

Now, Nikki’s character as a whole is one that I love to read, and respect. She was… Different. She ha
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
Shade Me and I are completely polar opposites. Everything Nikki is, I’m not (and I’m typically against it in some way), which is an extreme rarity (and definitely not a problem). And if this is a series, I’ll probably have a love/hate relationship with Nikki akin to love triangles where I love/hate both guys (and maybe the girl as well).

Anyways…
Marguerite (M)
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4 stars

Review to come at the end of the trilogy, once the post office finally delivers.
david y biblioflick
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, edelweiss, ya, mystery
So this ARC will expire in two weeks, so I decided to read it.

This book had a character who have synesthesia (which is quite uncommon in books and other media) who goes following the clues left by a caller who called her during her death and she is the only contact on Peyton's phone. Together (or sometimes) with Peyton's brother and the detective, she tries to unravel the mystery and find out her connection with Peyton.

The main character is quite alright, but sometimes when the main character fi
Lisa Mandina
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Review will be on my blog, Lisa Loves Literature, on Monday, as part of a blog tour through Irish Banana Tours. I'll be talking about my favorite color, orange, as well!
ReadWriteLove28
Really really good! Review to come closer to release date.
Marco Morano
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
This was a fun read! However, overall, it was nothing special. It left me with more questions than answers, and it dragged on for ages. I had issues with a lot of the choices the main character made as well because they didn't make sense to me; her character overall was questionable.
Kim at Divergent Gryffindor
Actual rating: 3.5

I had been so interested in this book from the moment that I first read its synopsis. I mean, a girl who sees the world in colors? I've never heard of such a thing before! On top of that, it's not just an ordinary contemporary romance novel, but a contemporary mystery novel! I was intrigued!

Nikki Kill was living life normally when one day she receives call from the police asking her to identify a Jane Doe who only has her number in her contacts. Turns out Jane Doe is actually P
Eileen (BookCatPin)
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I always appreciate a good thriller hence when I read the synopsis for Shade Me, I knew I needed to get my hands on a copy. After reading it, I'm pleased to say the story was indeed mysterious. Albeit things were a bit convenient at times, I enjoyed following the trail that led to the eventual showdown.

Nikki Kill has no clue why the most popular girl in school, Peyton Hollis, would call her. After learning that Peyton is in a coma, Nikki's curiosity, fueled by her desire to know why, led her int
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
With a story involving a girl that has a rare phenomenon that causes her to see emotions as color and a strange phone call that pulls our protagonist into a mystery deeper than she could even imagine, I knew I needed to read this book. Jennifer Brown delivers on that outstanding premise successfully setting up what could be a very thrilling suspense series.

I wasn’t expecting to be drawn in quite so quick. The prologue just pulls you in with an unnamed narrator in a pretty sketchy situation that
Amber (The Book Bratz)
I really did enjoy the synethesia aspect of this book. Never having heard of this disorder before, it was something new to experience as a reader. Nikki described emotions as colors, then rather what she is feeling was quite interesting. But synthesia wasn't enough for me to like this story. It was rough to connect with Nikki, she seemed to know everything and everyone else was clueless.

I try to be open minded when I read books, but I felt Nikki's connection with Dru developed rather quickly (W
Stacee
The premise of this really intrigued me and I was pretty eager to see what it was all about.

I liked Nikki well enough. She's a smart ass and she's resilient and she can literally kick ass. Her decisions were made with the best of intentions, but that's where it sort of all went to shit for me.

The idea of the synesthesia was interesting, but I found the execution to be confusing. If that was the intent of the author, then kudos, it worked. The plot had a lot of layers to it and while Nikki's un
Shelley
*Source* Publisher via Edelweiss
*Genre* Young Adult, Mystery, Thriller
*Rating* 4 strong stars

*My Thoughts*

Shade Me is the first installment in Jennifer Brown's Nikki Kill series. 18-year old Nikki Kill is a character who deals with a rare, but real life phenomenon known as Synesthesia. Synesthesia is a condition in which one sense (for example, hearing) is simultaneously perceived as if by one or more additional senses such as sight. Another form of synesthesia joins objects such as letters, sha
Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe)
Review coming.
Samantha
I received this book for free from Itching For Books as part of the Shade Me blog tour in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review

I had wanted to read this book for a while now. The description really interested me. So when I saw there was a tour for it I signed up! Beyond the description I really didn’t know what to expect, and now re reading the description I can tell you if I did it wouldn’t have been this. The thing that kept me
Mishma
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
A review copy was provided by Harper Collins in exchange of a honest review

I was initially drawn to this book, despite not being a huge fan of thrillers and mysteries, when I heard of the concept of colour synesthesia. It is a mental condition I've always been fascinated with, and when I heard that it's going to be incorporated with a murder mystery, I was immediately hooked, especially since I've been wanting to read something by Jennifer Brown for a long time now.

Nikki Kill sees facts and emot
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

I received an ecopy of this book in exchange for a honest review

MY THOUGHTS
I'm not usually one for thrillers, but I'm always been curious about synesthesia and a thriller focusing on a girl using her synesthesia to solve a mystery made me very curious. This wasn't quite what I expected, but it was a great thriller and mystery.

Nikki Kill sees colors where others can't. Certain letters, numbers, words, have their own colors, and she can e
Molly
Jun 23, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Huge thank you to the publisher for sending me a copy for review!

I am SO disappointed. I wanted to love this book so badly and alas it wasn't meant to be. It had EVERYTHING going for it for me: synesthesia, kick-ass fighter girl, intriguing mystery... but sadly none of that really worked out well.

First I have to say that I felt like this story would have possibly worked better with a much older cast of characters. Possibly out of college 20-somethings. Ultimately I just felt like it was being fo
Nikki Kill sees colors. Words, numbers, emotions - as a person with synesthesia, all of them come through to her as a sort of technicolor nightmare that threatens to drown out the world around her and makes it difficult for her to function socially or scholastically. One gets the impression that she'd gleefully trade places with pre-Oz Dorothy Gale, just to get a moment of mental peace and quiet. Of course, that's before Peyton Hollis, the most popular girl in school, is found beaten near to dea ...more
Nook books: July 20, 1018 1 1 Jul 20, 2018 07:53PM

• As Stars Fall
  • The Mortal Instruments: The Graphic Novel, Vol. 2
  • Marvelous (The Books of Marvella, #1)
  • Thicker Than Water
  • Take The Fall
  • The Letting Go
  • Are You Still There
  • The Revenge
  • Deadfall
  • The Invisible (Brokenhearted, #2)
  • In the Blood
  • Third Charm (Run to You, #3)
  • The Special Ones
  • Black Flowers, White Lies
  • How to Disappear
  • The Haunting of Lily Frost
  • Split Second
  • Thin Space
Two-time winner of the Erma Bombeck Global Humor Award (2005 & 2006), Jennifer's weekly humor column appeared in The Kansas City Star for over four years, until she gave it up to be a full-time young adult novelist.

Jennifer's debut novel, HATE LIST (Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, 2009) received three starred reviews and was selected as an ALA Best Book for Young Adults, a VOYA "Perfec

Nikki Kill (3 books)
  • Dare You (Nikki Kill, #2)
  • Break Us (Nikki Kill #3)