Start by marking “The Summertime Girls” as Want to Read:
The Summertime Girls

The Summertime Girls

This is an alternate Cover Edition for ISBN10: 0425279634/ ISBN13: 9780425279632.

When two lifelong friends reunite for one more summer in small-town Maine, they must bridge the gap caused by the dreams and secrets that tore them apart…

Ally Morris and Beth Abbott were beyond inseparable. From the very first time they met, the girls knew they’d found a once-in-a-lifetime fri
Published August 4th 2015 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Summertime Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Summertime Girls

Quirkybookworm
21/2 stars. Sure it was light reading. I did not have connections w the characters. Both sides seemed to drag on. It felt as if it was written for a chic flic movie. It would be a nice reading for those who had Best friends for life. It won’t linger in my mind for long.
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
I think we have all been there a time or two. Kids, marriage, work, life gets in the way of friendship and soon you realize you have lost touch with someone special in your life. This is the story of two besties that lost the connection and struggle to find it again.

This story touched me in several ways. I have been there! Not even very long ago and reconnecting with people that mean so much to you is important. The author takes us through the lives of these two women and major changes in their
Ada Goldstein
Aug 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
Stunningly boring and pedestrian.
Josette Castro
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it
A nice story about a long time friendship hitting some bumps in the road as most usually do. I think the characters could've been built up a bit more and found some parts boring but overall a nice heartfelt read.
Laurie Carlson
I forgot to post my official review! Here it is!
MY TAKE:
4 Stars!
Memorable. Resounding. Beautiful.
This story brings back memories I will never forget anytime soon as I look back over the years when my best friend and I were inseparable! Heck, we met in the 6th grade and rode our bikes to each other’s houses! Even though a huge amount time and distance separates us now of over 50 miles and a good 1- hour drive, over these last 38 years we’ve been friends, I can honestly say they have been the BES
Charlotte Lynn
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
When a friendship goes bad who is to blame? Of course, each person blames the other. That is the story of Ally and Beth. Best friends since grade school, these girls have a falling out. They then come back together to support Beth’s grandmother in Maine, which is the place of their summer vacations. Memories come back, feelings come to the fore front, and they each realize that they need each other.

Beyond the falling out and the blame, I believe this is a story of Beth and Ally finding themselv
Dominique Salerno
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I DEVOURED THIS BOOK. I read it in a single sitting (probably 3 hrs total). This novel is cinematic, quriky, heartfelt, funny and an honest sneak peek into the mind of two millenials aiming to navigate the complexities of their lifelong female friendship. This quick read is perfect for the beach, a plane, a park bench, or snuggled up under the covers! The book is a luxurious and easy read, but it leaves you with some profound and poignant thoughts.

Hankin has done an incredible job honestly addre
Sheila Guevin
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
bought this as a beach book and it is just that.

the story line of two friends who have a "break up" over what is really a misunderstanding, but also how two women might have very different needs that end up pushing each other away. sometimes, even with best friends, there is a parting of the lives.

written about much younger women, the voice of the writer is also a bit on the immature side, so it fits the story line well.

as a beach book, it was just the kind of book you read when you are only pay
Samantha March
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a review copy
I love reading books about female friendships, and this book explored that deeply. In addition to learning about Ally and Beth, we also get just a brush of a sub-plot with Grandma Stella and her once best friend as well. Ally and Beth seem to have quite the complicated friendship throughout the years, but it was enjoyable to see even though they were quite different and not always the best people to each other, the bond they had established allowed them to remain firm fri
Ldengel
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I felt a pull back to this book whenever I wasn't reading it. Hankin balances the gravity of her characters' journeys with just the right amount of humor. I fell in love with Britton Hills, which I could see so vividly, and with the active, complicated main characters. I dearly wish someone could've given me this book as a college graduation gift - a manual for how to think about life-long friendship. Fingers crossed for a sequel!
Ablondebibliophile
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
A very typical beach-read. Two 20 somethings have been growing apart for years, but are forced together for a nostalgia-inducing summer adventure (adventure may be a stretch - they're helping one of their grandmother's move) that forces them to confront the cracks in their relationship.

This was an enjoyable, light read, and the characters felt well-developed and relateable. The plot was not incredibly engaging.

3.5/5
Samantha  Buchheit
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
I really liked the character Beth at first and I very much disliked Ally, as she seemed like a whiny high school girl. Towards the end, I was screaming at both of them for making stupid decisions, but at least Beth's only affected her life. At least she's not a fricki- nope not gonna go there. Read the book yourselves to find out what Ally does. The book seemed a little boring and cliche at parts, but ultimately it wasn't bad and it got better as it went.
Nancy
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started out pretty slowly and I didn't think I was going to like it, but I powered through and ended up enjoying it. It's a sweet, predictable short read about female friendship, perspective, life and love. A good, easy read.
Melissa Rhoads
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A decent no-brainer, but nothing too special about this book or the characters. I did identify with the idea of friendship that changes over time, definitely true.
Michelle Stanley
I couldn’t relate to the characters, I guess I avoid people like this IRL!!! Light easy read, a little predictable.
Erin
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun, quick read, this book made me think and cry and then reach out to my best friend
Sandy Reilly
This one hits close to home... Perhaps you're one of the lucky people who are still friends with their "bestie" from college, high school, or even elementary school. For many of us, though, we've spread out across too many miles, let too many months go by without reaching out, or have too many life moments that have gotten in the way of staying in touch. Or, there may have been one incident that changed your friendship forever -- a moment you felt your friendship could not survive and things jus ...more
Viviane Crystal
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ally Morris and Beth Abbott have been best friends since they were children. They pictured each other as sisters from the well-known and beloved novel, Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. But sometimes expectations about how these novelistic characters will fulfill their destinies can’t account for what is missed about these stereotypes. And sometimes via the circumstances that suddenly arise call for each young woman to dig deep and allow what may emerge.
When we meet Ally and Beth, they have no
Sara
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Originally reviewed for Chick Lit Central (www.chicklitcentral.com)

I’ve never believed in the old adage, “blood is thicker than water”. For me, friends are family. Sometimes you can form a very close bond with someone who doesn’t come from the same gene pool as you, just like the relationship Ally and Beth share in The Summertime Girls.

Opposites attract. Case in point: Ally and Beth. Two completely different personality types who have forged a friendship since childhood. Where Ally is wild and
Katrina Marie
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally posted on Bookish Things & More Review
I've got a lot of love for this book, and have recommended it to everyone! The relationship between best friends is amazing, and I think this book portrays that perfectly.

The story is told from two perspectives, Ally and Beth.  They've been friends since they were children and then one day they just drifted apart.  Beth's grandmother moving out of her house brings them back together and forces them to see where their friendshi
Eileen
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I discovered this book because the author is a friend-of-a-friend, and found the book well worth the read. While the title and cover push this novel into the "beach reads" category--where I'm sure it will be appreciated--I found that its emotional depth and the cleverness of its narration suggested this book is more than meets the eye.

The main storyline features two twenty-somethings, former friends, who are drawn together to help one of their grandmothers prepare to leave her home and enter a r
Pam Asberry
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
We've all been through it. Jobs, relationships, marriage, children - any major life change can be a threat to friendship. The next thing you know, that person from whom you were once inseparable begins to feel like a stranger. That's what happened to Ally and Beth. Ally throws herself into a romantic relationship and becomes so caught up in it that she doesn't have time for much of anything or anyone else. So on the darkest day of Beth's life, Ally is too busy and distracted to be there for her ...more
Mary
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Summertime Girls is about two friends, Ally and Beth. Like many friendships that have lasted a long time there have been ups and downs. There’s blame to go around, misunderstandings, and lots of hurt feelings. But there are bright times too. What Beth and Ally need to decide is whether they want to give up on the other or keep trying to get back to the friendship they once had.

Ally just went through a rough breakup and is a live wire reacting to whatever comes in contact with her – much to h
Katie
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The book is easy to pick up + immediately draws you in, but I was also happy to find that it pulls you much, much deeper. The characters aren't as simple as they appear -- Beth may come off as the "good one," but she struggles against that outward identity and with how to honor the fire within her. Ally might seem like the "cute" one, but she is also remarkably self-aware of her own failings and how she uses that "charming" quality to hide from her own problems.

It's refreshing to see a book that
Kira FlowerChild
I suppose I should have gathered from the title that this is a "beach book" - fluff to read when you're lying on the beach and don't want to concentrate too hard because you're busy looking at the hardbodies around you. If you're lucky, that is. Most beaches have a lot more soft bodies than hard bodies.

This book reads like it was written by a precocious fifteen-year-old. My library copy does not list it as "teen" or "young adult", perhaps because the main characters are supposed to be in their
Katherine Haselkorn
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was such a perfect summer read - which makes sense considering it's called "The Summertime Girls"...

For anyone like me who's a fan of Jennifer Weiner / Jodi Picoult / Leanne Moriarty, you need to try The Summertime Girls by Laura Hankin. Her writing is fast and funny and the characters are completely relatable.

Beth and Ally are two best friends (former? re-united?) who are trying to figure out their lives post graduation. Like most of us, their relationship dwindles and communication becom
Sharon
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a very enjoyable story about two girls who became friends in elementary school by chance and that friendship lasted many years. How they were as close as sisters and then life happened. They eventually came back together as adults due to Grandma Stella was about to sell her home and move to a retirement village. I enjoyed reading how the girls became friends, the fun they had as friends and then how they "grew apart" due to different paths they took. Then how Grandma Stella eventually b ...more
Lena
Jun 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
I'm not going to bore you with the synopsis of the story because it's already there. Two friends, separated by differing events come to get her as they bla bla bla movie trailer narration.

I wanted to quit this book. A lot. I wanted more of a summer feel, more nostalgia. But I got a LOT of explaining without a real story. This book could have been cut down quite a bit. Considering what I have in my hands is an arc, I don't know if it was trimmed down since the arc release.

What was wrong with St
Margie
Aug 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: bea-2015
The friendship story was very enjoyable. I liked that their was a friendship between two young women paralleled two older women. Female friendships cross time lines. It was interesting to see the older women learn from the younger women.

The story, the characters and their feelings were all very realistic. I did not care for the casual attitude toward sex. Ally acted like it was a sport or a time killer instead of something with meaning.

I would have given this book a 4 rating, but the constant us
Joe Riener
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Two young women, now out of college, reconnect after a difficult year for them both. Hankin's story develops how they make sense of their emerging adult lives. They struggle with each other and the love they've lost, the sorrow they've encountered. Both main characters struck me as quite true, powerfully real. I would recommend this book to everyone who wishes to spend some time with interesting and moving young people. Hankin writes a soulful novel.

• The Promise of Forgiveness
  • Everything's Relative
  • Holiday Royale
  • The Memory of Lemon
  • At His Service (Playboys of Boston, #1)
  • The Orchard at the Edge of Town (Apple Valley, #3)
  • The Crockin' Girls Slow Cookin' Companion: Yummy Recipes from Family, Friends, and Our Crockin' Community
  • Better With You Here
  • Mail-Order Brides of Oak Grove: Surprise Bride for the Cowboy\Taming the Runaway Bride (Oak Grove #1-2)
  • The Summer Cottage
  • Summer Indiscretions (Summer Love, #2)
  • Juli Bauer's Paleo Cookbook: Over 100 Gluten-Free Recipes to Help You Shine from Within
  • How to Train a Cowboy
  • 365 Slow Cooker Suppers
  • Days Like These
  • Between Friends
  • Charm School for Cowboys (Hurley's Homestyle Kitchen, #5)
  • The Last Chance Matinee (The Hudson Sisters #1)