Start by marking “Under the Spotlight (In the Zone, #4)” as Want to Read:
Under the Spotlight (In the Zone, #4)

Under the Spotlight

(In the Zone #4)

Stage actress Christine Caspary couldn't care less about hockey, but when she first sees Joe Rutherford playing in a Barracudas game her mind goes to all sorts of dirty places. By happy chance, her work with Grant A Wish gives her an opportunity to meet him in the flesh.

Right winger Joe Rutherford saw Christine perform when the team went to see Chicago and was so taken wit
Published December 14th 2015 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Under the Spotlight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under the Spotlight

Sophia
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was definitely in the mood for a hockey romance and so it wasn't hard to go with Kate Willoughby's In the Zone series. I've read the first two books and liked her blend of sport, romance, and solid characters. This was the fourth book and I had skipped book three, but I did alright so it would definitely work as a standalone or out of order. Though that said, I will eventually go back for book three.

This story opens with another new year for the Barracudas. Joe 'Fordy' Rutherford knows he is a
Maria Rose
This is the fourth book in the hockey romance series, In The Zone, but my first time reading this author. I’m a sometime hockey fan – I live in a city that has a hockey team (The Winnipeg Jets) and I’ll watch the occasional game, though I’m not consumed by the sport. But when it comes to romances that combine sports with sexy scenes and a compelling story, I’m definitely interested. (Also, the hero is from Winnipeg! So how could I pass that up?!)

Christine is a stage actress, on the cusp of makin
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)

This series was one of my surprisingly exciting discoveries this year. I love the playfully sexy and sometimes sweet feel that this hockey romance series has and I’ve gobbled them up quite quickly for me. In this new installment we have another very original storyline. Joe isn’t the star of the team, in fact he’s considering it may be time for him to hang the skates and retire. He can’t skate as fast as the young up and coming newbies and he’s just been having a little bit of a roughe
Mignon Mykel
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 / 5 stars
Received a copy in exchange for an honest review.

I love hockey romance books, and pair that with a hockey star who's getting 'up there in age' (early thirties is old in sports, you know)... I knew that I'd enjoy this one. Joe Rutherford is a great player, but he's definitely a veteran of the team. When he's paired up with a rookie, he wants to bail -- but as coach says, everyone else has babies at home and he's a damn good player, so he takes the young kid under his wing.

My favorit
The Book Lover
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love everything hockey and this hockey book really did it for me because some authors write only about the young hockey stars, but what about the veterans that are close to the end of their careers? well this book its for you then! Kate wrote an amazing book about the fears of having to retire and not knowing what's going to happen, but not only that we get to see Joe fall in love with an actress and deal with a long distance relationship.. just when you think everything is going to be unicorn ...more
Irene
4 stars

I really enjoyed Under the Spotlight by Kate Willoughby.

The characters were likable and believable, the storyline held my interest from the start.

I liked both Joe and Christine's characters, they were good people who loved unconditionally and were able to work through the different stages of their careers to find their HEA.

I've really enjoyed the In the Zone series, each book can be read as a standalone but I highly recommend them all.

Thank you to Carina Press via NetGalley for the advanc
Heather andrews
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Joe has a way with words, “I’m going to eff you so hard, the neighbors are going to wonder what the eff’s going on.” Leo always has great plans for his woman, “yes. This is the dining room where I plan on having sex with you on the table... and here’s the living room. Sofa sex. Hearth sex and then hot chocolate.” I really enjoyed this book Joe was just one of those guys you couldn't help but love.
Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Elle Kennedy's THE DEAL

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I don't like sports. I don't play sports, I don't watch sports, & I don't tend to lust after the guys who play them. Or I didn't, until I read Elle Kennedy's THE DEAL and realized that maybe athletes could be hot after all - not because they're athletes, but because of what makes them athletes. It's hard not to admire a man who is that passionate and dedicated about something.

Joe Rutherford is the right winger for a hockey team. And sin
Diane Lynch
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, hockey-romance
Actress, Christine Caspary, recruits San Diego Barracudas right winger, Joe Rutherford to meet a little girl whom she met through the Grant A Wish Foundation. The two have chemistry, but their schedules and point of their careers make a relationship challenging.

I enjoyed Joe’s character. He has lived and breathed hockey his whole life. Now nearing the end of his career, he has to decide what his life will entail after he retires. It does not help to be surrounded by people that are at the start
Danielle
Oct 28, 2015 rated it liked it
This is the fourth book in this series and while I enjoyed the other books I didn't really fall in love with Christine and Joe's story.

In this book Joe falls for and up and coming actress, Christine. I know with two lives in separate spotlights are hard but these two had a hard time coming together as a couple. Joe was on the road a lot and Christine was hitting different cities to promote her play. I think maybe I was just missing the connection between these two characters because they didn't
Christine
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Under the Spotlight is a cute, spicy and at times funny read by Kate Willoughby. This is the 1st book I've read in the series and I can't wait to go back and read the other 3 books now. Sparks fly and the chemistry is unreal between these two. Can two people with busy careers and schedules make it work?

Joe Rutherford, right winger for the NHL's Barracudas is a veteran of the team and a role model for younger players. Joe has been hurt in his last relationship and as time goes on wondering if he
Minna
Neither of the two main characters clicked for me, unfortunately. Joe came across as (sorry, Joe!) boring. Christine was hypocritical and superficial and seemed older, more like a 35 year old woman - every time the story referenced her age (26) it took me by surprise all over again.
Both the characters read as a little flat and, despite my best efforts, I never really got interested in them. However, I see that I'm in the minority on this one, so don't let me deter you.
There were several gramma
Kate Willoughby
Aug 15, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi, everyone! It's me, Kate, the author. I'm excited to see that UNDER THE SPOTLIGHT is here on Goodreads already and that so many of you have marked it as "To Read."

I wanted to thank everyone in advance for taking the time to rate and/or review the book. I love the feedback, whether good or critical. I'm always trying to improve as a writer and readers' impressions are important to me.

If you'd like to get the latest news about me and my books, plus cool stuff like never-before-seen excerpts, pl
Teresa
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've REALLY enjoyed this series so I was pretty happy when I received the ARC from the author in exchange for my honest opinion. Thankfully, Kate Willoughby was gracious enough to give me the ARC without me having to resort to begging. I would've begged. I really would've!

I couldn't help but love Joe. He's a guy who loves hockey. As a veteran player he's facing some tough decisions now that he's on the tail end of his career...

You can read my review here: http://wp.me/p18bP3-2vN
Under the Covers Book Blog

This series was one of my surprisingly exciting discoveries this year. I love the playfully sexy and sometimes sweet feel that this hockey romance series has and I've gobbled them up quite quickly for me. :) In this new installment we have another very original storyline. Joe isn't the star of the team, in fact he's considering it may be time for him to hang the skates and retire. He can't skate as fast as the young up and coming newbies and he's just been having a little bit of a rougher year.

Downward dog
Nov 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: sports-romance

I was given an advanced copy of this book to write an honest review for Netgalley and Cocktails and Books.

This is the fourth book in series and each book is a standalone about a different hockey player on the San Diego Barracudas. Joe Rutherford, a professional hockey player with the Barracudas meets Christine Caspary, a struggling actress when she contacts him about visiting a little girl in the hospital. There is an immediate attraction between Joe and Christin
Romance Between The Sheets
Please note this review may contain spoilers.

I have to admit, I couldn't remember Joe at all from the previous books, and it didn't take me long to realise why. Simply put, Joe is just your garden-variety nice guy. Heck, I'd even go so far as to say he's unremarkable, and he quite likes it that way. But I think it's because of that that I really liked him. It's nice to read about a guy who doesn't have anger issues. Who isn't a manwhore. Whose life hasn't been shaped by a terrible event that hap
Ani
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Under the spotlight Kate Willoughby 4* out do 14th and available for preorder now!!

Well the girls all know that when it comes to a sports romance I am there with bells on, and for under the spotlight by Kate Willoughby I went after the book like a hockey player after his puck! This was my first ever Kate book Im hoping to read more I loved her writing style I was engaged from the first and transported into the worlds of the theatre and hockey arena.

Joe Rutherford is one of the San Diego Barracu
Sanaa Z.
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
An ARC was provided by Netgalley for an honest review!

4-4.25 stars!!

This was a very refreshing and funny book Kate does a great job writing this story that sucked me in from page 1 to the end.

Christine is in the theatre business and loves to act. I really loved her character! She had sass, humor, a great personality, good family and friends. She's possible one of my favorite Female heroines ever written about.

Then there's BJ (read the book, you'll understand). He's a hockey player for the Bar
Book Reading Gals
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thoughts: Ever since I picked up and started Toni Aleo’s Assassins series, I just can’t get enough of hockey in my romances. Ms. Aleo has set a high standard however, and I have to admit to reading quite a few duds on my way to finding another great hockey book and/or series. I have to say, that this one has impressed me and – by far – has come the closest to Ms. Aleo’s high standards.

I really enjoyed this book – it had a great cast of characters. I really loved both Christine and Joe and they w
Mary Catherine
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Considering how much I enjoyed the previous books in this series, I was worried this wouldn't live up to its predecessors, especially with the acting aspect of which I actually know things (note: I knew very little of hockey before these books). Kate Willoughby definitely did not disappoint. I love that this story focused on a veteran of a sport, one most likely on his way out, and one who had to welcome in the new generation.

While there were some theatre aspects that made me tilt my head, I fo
Julie
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great hockey romance story. Joe Rutherford is a great player, but he could be classed as a veteran on the team as he's into his thirties now and the clock is ticking. There's a lot of great young guys coming up in the ranks, and it gets him thinking. When his coach asks him to mentor a rookie, he wants to back out, but coach says the kid needs guidance and who better than a great team player. Joe say's he'll give him a shot.

While coping with a young up and coming hockey star, Joe starts seeing
Donna Sweeney
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kindly provided with an ARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.......

5 "Hocky Hunks with Hearts " Stars from me !!

This is Joe and Christine's story and I loved the idea of two famous leads falling in love. Normally the way most story lines go is one of our leads is some sort of supa star (either fame due to athletic capability, rock star status or being the towns most sort after property).......with me so far. Well in Kate's book Joe is one smokin' hot gorgeous hunk of Hockey supa st
Synergy Quest
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a solid romance. If you love hockey, this is definitely a must read for you.

Joe is a great guy. He's a bit of a man's man, but he also really likes the theater and doesn't feel like less of a man because of it. As an NHL player he's a jock, of course, but thankfully not a jerk. Christine is an actress, theatre mostly, but she's up for a big TV role opposite her sexy ex. This creates some interesting tension in the story, but nothing over the top.

As a whole, Under the Spotlight didn't blo
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great Book!
This is a great book; this is the fourth book in the In The Zone series by Kate Willoughby. Christine Caspary is a stage actress and has never interested in hockey that is until she sees one of the Barracudas sexy player Joe Rutherford. When her work with the Grant A Wish programs offers her a chance to meet him she jumps at the chance. Joe has liked Christine since the first time he saw her perform on stage. They were not expecting the chemistry so hot it is off the charts. If you ar
Mags
4.5* I loved this story, it was sweet, sexy, fun, with little angst and two really likable main characters in Joe and Christine. Plus some old characters and new ones which make me excited for more stories in the future. Not to mention Lexie, who for me completely stole any chapter she was in.

You can also really tell when reading this series that the author Kate Willoughby is a huge hockey fan, and the moments when the team are on the ice or practicing are very descriptive yet not at all confus
Chelle
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Wow! Kate Willoughby is fast moving from an author I've never heard of to a real fave.

Joe is a pretty typical male hero (and sweet with it) and he's facing some challenges when he meets his lady. She's about to be a lot more famous than him not to mention getting cosy with her co-star!!!!!

This is book 4 in quite a fast paced series. This latest instalment is sexy, cute, funny, realistic and so very relevant. This is a couple who are mad for each other but have real career issues that ne
Anna
Nov 30, 2015 rated it liked it
***ARC received from NetGalley in exchange for honest review.

I LOVE a good hockey romance. Hockey players.... what is not to like. That said something was missing in this one for me. I liked Joe and thought he was a solid guy but he didn't rock my world as a reader. Dare I say he was a little boring? Christine, the h, while not a too stupid to live h, wasn't a favorite. As I'm typing I keep thinking she annoyed me for some reason. I started feeling meh about the two of them together. I'd be wil
The Romance Book Disciple (Samantha)
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-s
3.5
Under the spotlight was cute! I liked that Christine's star was rising while Joes was fading. I loved that what brought them together was a sick child. Both characters were instantly likable and I was glad this wasn't another sports book with a manwhore hero. The plot was a bit predictable but it wasn't poorly written. Under the Spotlight is another solid sports romance for readers who love this rising genre!
Will be on blog 12/14/15 The Book Disciple
POV: 3rd
Heat: 3
Trope: Hockey Star, Superst
Vanessa Cisneros
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Christine is an actress she is going to make it big soon while Joe is a hockey player that is almost going to retire soon as he is getting older. Christine and Jo are cute together but you can see how when Christine is going up for her star Jo could get jealous because he wont have that no more. This book to me is showing that you should support the person you love the best way you can a good read!!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Flirting on Ice (Atlantic City Hustlers, #1)
  • Game Play (Power Play, #1)
  • Goalie Interference (NHL Scorpions, #2)
  • The Sexiest Man Alive (Life and Love on the Lam, #4)
  • Out for the Count (Worth the Fight, #3)
  • Top Shelf (Aces Hockey, #3)
  • Enforce (Hard Hit, #7)
  • Stealing Second (Feeling the Heat, #5)
  • Game Changer (Bomb Squad #3)
  • Hip Check (New York Blades #10)
  • Taming the Legend (London Legends, #4)
  • Blocked (Breakaway, #2)
  • Deep Edge (Harrisburg Railers, #3)
  • Going for the Goal (The Perfect Play #3)
  • Scoring the Player's Baby (WAGS #3)
  • Big in Japan
  • Takes Two to Tackle (Santa Fe Bobcats, #3)
  • Game Changer (Game Changers, #1)

In the Zone (4 books)
  • On the Surface (In the Zone, #1)
  • Across the Line (In the Zone, #2)
  • Out of the Game (In the Zone, #3)