Start by marking “Mary, Mary” as Want to Read:
Mary, Mary

Mary, Mary (Alex Cross #11)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  39,824 Ratings  ·  1,169 Reviews
Somebody is intent on murdering Hollywood's A-list. A well-known actress has been shot outside her Beverly Hills home. Shortly afterwards, the Los Angeles Times receives an email describing the murder in vivid detail. It is signed Mary Smith. More killings and emails follow - the victims are all major Hollywood players. Is it the work of an obsessed fan or a spurned actor, ...more
Published October 10th 2005 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about Mary, Mary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mary, Mary

Aaron
Aug 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Patterson is back on track with this addition to the Alex Cross series. Detective-turned-FBI-Agent Cross is drawn in a suspected case of a female serial killer which is unique. Each of the victims is tied to the movie industry. Besides leaving trademark stickers with the letters A or B on them, Mary Smith also emails a Los Angeles Times entertainment writer a letter to the victim describing how the gruesome crime was committed.

Alex's family life seems to be imploding as Christine Johnson attempt
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
غزل أدم
لقد تمت قراءة هذه الرواية تزامناً مع الأنتخابات الأمريكية
وللحق فلقد كانت الأنتخابات أكثر تشويقاً وأثارة من هذه الرواية
Curtis Edmonds
Jan 02, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mary Mary is an Alex Cross novel, and that normally would be a good thing, except that it isn't. Patterson started writing Cross novels in 1992, with Along Came a Spider, which instituted the forumla of pitting Alex against this week's serial killer. Along Came a Spider pitted Cross, a psychiatrist who doubles as a Washington D.C. homicide detective, against a copycat serial killer seeking to emulate the best work of others. Mary Mary is the next of the line; one hopes it's the last.

Having said
Linda
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this series!
Rachel
This was my first James Patterson read; I've always seen his books in bookstores and know a little about him as a thriller author, but until now I'd never read any of his books. I realized after I picked up the book that it was late in the Alex Cross series, but after reading it, I can honestly say I didn't need to read the other books in the series to get the story.

Even the background information on Alex Cross peppered throughout the book wasn't hard for me to pick up on, assimilate into what
Joel
Nov 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
La verdad es que me decepcionó. Creo que sobre todo fue la cuestión del final, pero no quiero ahondar mucho en está reseña.
Estoy seguro de que a alguno podría interesarle pero por mi parte no pienso leerlo de nuevo jamás.
Jen
Mar 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh James Patterson, authorial crush of my youth. I thought you could do no wrong!
And, for entertainment purposes, he really can't. Patterson consistently hits out best-sellers because he gets the tropes that work and the characters that don't. I admire this. It does, however, makes his books...familiar.
This one, however, did throw me a curve ball that I didn't remember from reading this in high school. I really like the last 100 pages or so, as they were not what I was expecting. The unfortunate
Joseph Igoni
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mary Mary is one of the best James Patterson books I have read so far. This book chronicle the happenings of Alex Cross, an Metro Police Officer turned FBI Detective, as he tries to solve the grisly murders of some of Hollywood's famous. It takes place in Los Angeles, California as his family vacation interrupted and he has to once again balance his family and work life as his upcoming custody trial with his ex-wife Christine begins. James Patterson does a good job illustrating the daily struggl ...more
Claire
Hands down, my least favorite Alex Cross book in the series. To be honest, I only finished it so that I could pick up seamlessly when the next book came out. Didn't hate it, but it bored me a bit.

And another thing...now that Cross is getting laid a lot, it really gets on my nerves! Patterson makes him sound like a total horndog, along with a goof for some of the things that he says. But, I keep reading....
P.S. Winn
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Alex Cross goes on vacation to Disneyland, with his kids and his grandma, Nana, who I love, a call to check out a celebrity killing in LA ends up being a big mistake. Between the killer and a past that is haunting him Alex finds himself headed coast to coast. I love the Alex Cross novels and the character development created by an author that knows had to grab the reader and never let them go, always a good thing!
Gary
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 11th book in the Alex Cross series by James Patterson.
Dr. Alex Cross is a specialist in forensic psychology, originally working for the Washington DC police department and later as an FBI senior agent.
I continue to enjoy the Alex Cross novels which are still currently written by Patterson rather than most of his other books that are written largely by co authors and tend to be hit or miss.
❆ Crystal ❆
My favorite in this series so far. 5 stars. Mysterious, action packed and it didn't fall into all the clichés that was in every other Alex Cross book so far! What a relief to read a book in this series that broke away from the mold. I hope this series keeps evolving and not become predictable.

And, I have to say.... WHAT is up with Christine?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I can't wait to read more.

Kathleen
Mar 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clearly another of Pattersons jewels. It was hard to put down and easy to read. He does such short chapters, that if you need to stop, it is easy to get back to. He writes about gruesome murders and this is no exception, but truly keeps you trying to figure out the who and why.
Sarah ~
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
رائعة .. حبكة مدهشة وطريقة مختلفة في الكتابة ..
Christina Schiel
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-trio
My favorite James Patterson book yet! Murder, mystery, intrigue, loved it!
Queen Gem
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where should I start with this review?! Hmmm let's start with the rating I rated this book 4 starts because though novel was a good read I got a little bored with story. I felt it wasnt really enough action in the beginning which made the story seem to drag. Now what I did love was everytime you thought you were close to figuring out Mary the plot seem to thicken and at one point I truly believe Mary had sometime of multiple personalities because just like Alex I was feeling the vibe that a Man ...more
Shane Phillips
Aug 28, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The first 2/3 of this book is mostly the Alex Cross work life balance crisis. It gets very irritating. The book is uneven and I really don't care about the Alex "Whoa is me, I have to work but don't want to leave my family because they give me crap about it" saga. There are long sections about his custody fight intermixed with quick visits to crime scenes. I think the writers realized they were about out of pages so they crammed the killer search into the last 1/3 of the book.
Craig Sisterson
Apr 06, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
A solid instalment in Patterson's original Alex Cross series that keeps the pages whirring and is an exciting, easy read

Back when I was a teenager, I loved reading James Patterson. I'd always enjoyed crime and mystery tales. I'd started with the Hardy Boys, Sherlock Holmes, and Poirot while at primary school (grade school), then continued through intermediate (middle school) - including my first taste of Scandi-crime, the wonderful Agaton Sax adventures of Nils Olof-Franzen. At high school in th
Cody
Dec 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cody Foster

Mrs. Baltz

Pre-AP English 10

12 December 2008

Mary Mary by James Patterson

In the world James Patterson has created there is action, a very small bit of romance, and crazy people that suck you in so fast that you’ll be finished with the book and not even know it. The setting is mostly in Washington D.C and is about Alex Cross, a retired cop, who is also know as the dragon slayer because of all the criminals he has put away. He is the main character.

There are some very odd characters in M
Jerry
Jul 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few flaws, but most will enjoy Patterson's latest Dr. Alex Cross thriller!

We're a longtime Patterson reader and definitely prefer his solo-authored series featuring Alex Cross, now a top FBI specialist, to most of his collaborations with other writers in which presumably our famous author doesn't have time to do more than sketch out the plot. "Mary" has the thrills and chills we've come to expect from Patteron's better novels: a compelling plot, where we get to follow the flow of events from b
Charlotte Wilson
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this. Love that Alex is so rampant!! Feel for him that he is torn between his children and his career. I could love Alex Cross if he were a real person!
Victoria Nauta
In this 11th Alex Cross book, James Patterson is back and better than ever! We jump right in from the first chapter with The Storyteller laying plans out right away. And boy, it starts with a bang - a BIG bang! I was immediately hooked and could not put the book down. I read this in one day.

The storyline moves fast - "Mary Smith" is killing A-List Hollywood mothers and bragging about it via emails to a reporter at the LA Times. Although Cross is on vacation with his family, as usual, he gets suc
Thom Swennes
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Warning: This is what nightmares are made of. The perfect murder can be committed if the act is random, impersonal and done by the least likely suspect. This is a story built on thin lines and the possibility of a false step is ever present. Not a good time to have to deal with personal problems. The FBI sends their profiler Alex Cross to Los Angeles to help in a new murder investigation. Almost before he is adjusted to the time change more bodies join the case and the threat of another mass mur ...more
Barb
Sep 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somebody is murdering Hollywood's A-list. Her calling card: "You've got mail." On a family vacation, FBI agent Alex Cross is asked to investigate the shooting of a top actress... and an e-mail sent to the Los Angeles Times with shocking details about the murder, signed Mary Smith. More killings and more e-mails follow, and Mary Smith is getting better every time. To hunt down this merciless killer of Tinseltown's elite, Cross must navigate a world where the stars sip San Pellegrino at the Ivy as ...more
Jodi
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Renee
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mary Mary by James Patterson is typical of his Alex Cross novels-- single dad Alex tries to juggle parenting and career along with a love life. This book centers around a series of murders of Hollywood mothers, with the killer sending emails to a Hollywood reporter and signing them as "Mary." FBI Agent Alex is pulled off a vacation with his family to Disneyland to help the LAPD with the case, although they are not exactly appreciative of his help.

As a NY born and raised lady who now lives in Cal
Liz Cuillard
May 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book! I've gotten pretty tired of the Alex Cross novels, but I gave this one a go and I'm glad I did. Alex Cross's personal life really doesn't interest me. At all. And this book didn't have too much of it, just Cross solving heinous crimes like only he can.

Once I got about 1/4th into this one I couldn't put it down and stayed up way to late reading it last night. I love it when that happens!
Linda Day
I read this book under the influence ... of my friend Rosemary who is a hopeless Patterson addict !

I liked it maybe a three 1/2 star like, but all that sicko stuff made for a lot of page flipping.

This is one of the "Alex Cross is the hero" stories. And he is ! And the bad guy is a real bad guy, and Alex's kids are endearing, And his grandmother "Nana Mama" is my favorite character !

Recommended for mystery readers of the "not Agatha Christie" genre !
Ben
Jul 14, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was my first experience with a James Patterson mystery. The story was interesting, but not necessarily compelling. I had no investment in the character starting from the middle. The mystery wasn't so mysterious, and there was some some mild swearing.

It made a long drive to Utah more bearable, but I wish we'd had a better book.
2017 Reading Chal...: Rebecca Burke's 2017 101+150 books 4 32 Feb 06, 2017 08:33AM
MYSTERY 7 58 Sep 18, 2014 11:44PM
  • Two Dollar Bill (Stone Barrington, #11)
  • Flesh and Blood (Alex Delaware, #15)
  • The Cold Moon (Lincoln Rhyme, #7)
  • T is for Trespass (Kinsey Millhone, #20)
  • Black Notice (Kay Scarpetta, #10)
  • Certain Prey (Lucas Davenport, #10)
  • Countdown (Eve Duncan, #6)
Official US Site
Official UK Site
BookShots
JIMMY Patterson Books
Official Site for James Patterson's Middle School Series
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. As of January 2016, he has sold over 350
More about James Patterson...

Alex Cross (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross, #1)
  • Kiss the Girls (Alex Cross, #2)
  • Jack & Jill (Alex Cross, #3)
  • Cat and Mouse (Alex Cross, #4)
  • Pop Goes the Weasel (Alex Cross, #5)
  • Roses are Red (Alex Cross, #6)
  • Violets Are Blue (Alex Cross, #7)
  • Four Blind Mice (Alex Cross, #8)
  • The Big Bad Wolf  (Alex Cross, #9)
  • London Bridges (Alex Cross, #10)