Start by marking “Die Beständigkeit der Erinnerung (Star Trek TNG: Kalte Berechnung #1)” as Want to Read:
Die Beständigkeit der Erinnerung (Star Trek TNG: Kalte Berechnung #1)

Die Beständigkeit der Erinnerung

(Star Trek: The Next Generation)

A BRAZEN HEIST Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the Enterprise crew race to find out who has stolen Data’s android brother B-4—and for what sinister purpose.

A BROKEN PROMISE One desperate father risks all for the son he abandoned forty years ago—but is he ready to pay the price for redemption?

A DARING MISSION Against overwhelming odds, and with time running out, Commander Worf
Mass Market Paperback, 380 pages
Published June 29th 2015 by Cross Cult (first published November 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Die Beständigkeit der Erinnerung, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Die Beständigkeit der Erinnerung

Start your review of Die Beständigkeit der Erinnerung (Star Trek TNG: Kalte Berechnung #1)
Alejandro
This is the epic tale about the return of one of the dearest characters in Star Trek universe... Data.

I don't consider that a spoiler since it's like saying that people wouldn't know that Spock returns in Searh for Spock or Kirk on The Return. These kind of returns is something just too big, too great, as people wouldn't know.

Even, the very decision of reading this trilogy is very likely to be based on the knowledge that Data returns.

Honestly, since it was a trilogy, I expected the formal retur
Jerry
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an exciting start! Can't wait to see where the story goes!
Crystal Bensley
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome story! Very excited to see where the series goes.
Victor
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mother fucking fuck you again, David Mack. I needed a book to read while travelling and this was all I had on my phone that I hadn't read and I didn't want to spend a ton of time trying to figure out what to read. So I just set aside my latent ire for Mack and jumped in.

And I almost liked it at first! The Ent-E gets up to some shenanigans after some of Data's (recently deceased, in Nemesis, which I still have yet to have the courage to watch) android relatives are stolen from a research base. S
Paul Grubb
This review contains no spoilers.

I have read a few Star Trek novels here and there, including one that explored Captain Picard's first command mission on the Stargazer, but until this book, I hadn't sampled anything that took place in a timeframe after the final Next Generation movie, Nemesis. It was interesting to see what I presume to be new canon unfolding in this post-Nemesis environment. I liked seeing what my favorite characters were up to, and I felt the characterizations for them were fa
Scott Williams
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David Mack does it again! This novel is an excellent piece of Star Trek writing. Mack tells a story that anyone who read IDW’s Countdown to the 2009 movie knew was coming but he does it in an unexpected and very entertaining way.

Data has always been my favourite TNG character and I really enjoy this novel’s explorations of Data’s origins and his family. Mack ties in some great storylines from the original series and TNG TV series while also continuing some stories from previous novels. I can’t w
C.T. Phipps
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Does an android have a soul?

This question was asked on February 13, 1989 when "The Measure of a Man" premiered on Fox, Channel 11 as watched my yours truly at the tender age of nine. The question is an easy enough one to answer when the robots are indistinguishable from humans, less so when they're more machine-like. If there is a God and he is good, I wouldn't imagine him to deny such a thing to intelligent machines just because they were made by his children than him. However, Star Trek is i
Jerome E
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again another amazing David Mack story.

Wow. Everytime I read one of these books by David Mack I'm left eagerly ready to read the next book. So I begin.
Joseph Masiello
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There be spoilers ahead!

First: As a Star Trek novel this book excels whole heartedly. Reading this story was like watching an episode of The Next Generation play out in explicit detail in my mind. This is why I love reading. Fans of the series that do not read the novels have no idea what they are missing out on.

Second: David Mack is an excellent author. I did not encounter a single chapter that felt like it ran on or did not hold my attention. I also enjoyed the fact that some of the chapters w
Charlene
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, star-trek
This book managed to capture the world of Star Trek along with strong science fiction writing. The story feels like a proper Star Trek adventure but it's not just about the characters because this book delivers a lot of detail when it comes to the technical aspects and the realities of the future. I think that's the author's strength - how he manages to bring so much detail to make this book such a strong Star Trek novel. I was so impressed by how immersive this was.

This book delves into the bac
Alex Templeton
It has been literally a decade since I read a Star Trek novel, and apparently a lot has changed in the non-canon TNG universe. SPOILERS! The Borg have disappeared (hmmm), Picard and Crusher are married (ok), they have a child (WHAT?!), and Worf has a new lady love (how does one move on from Jadzia Dax? Dude!). This book is a sequel, of sorts, to the last one I read, "Immortal Coil", which was really Data-centric (Data being my all-time favorite character). I picked this one up because it is a se ...more
David Monroe
Persistence of Memory is the first of a new trilogy by David Mack. It takes place 4 years after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis. No, that's not Data on the cover, it's actually his father, Doctor Noonian Soong. We find out that like his mentor, Ira Graves, Soong had plans to subvert death. He moved his mind into his newest and most advanced android. The book is full of Soong type android appearances: Juliana O'Donnell, B-4, Lore, and Lal. If, like me, this hits your cybernetic trek sweet-spot, ...more
Matt Randall
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kerry
Jan 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why the hell was a third of this about noonien fucking soong???? Do i actually give a shit about that creepy narcissistic asshole? no, not really. Also, i love how the author pulled the classic 'i'm gonna kill the only woman who actually got more than two lines in the whole book because she's a main character's love interest'. Yes, because that's a plotline i haven't read/watched a THOUSAND times. I'm only giving it three stars because he brought data back.
I mean, how much more self-absorbed can
John Carter McKnight
This book is getting terrific reviews here and on Amazon, and I have to differ. I've tried three times to push past the halfway point, and I just can't.

Yes, it's well-written. However, it's almost entirely the first-person narration of a very minor guest character from TNG, Data's creator, Professor Soong.

Here, Soong has transferred his mind into an android body, is clinically paranoid, and stalking his ex-wife. That's the story. If for some reason this is interesting to you, go for it. If howe
Jon Davidenas
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is only the second Star Trek book that I have read and for some reason, I always really enjoy them. Perhaps it's my deep rooted passion for Star Trek, or maybe it's that I've picked good books. Either way, this book was a joy to read and had several neat things that you never could or would have seen in the show. I plan on finishing this trilogy some day.
Christopher Lutz
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aricia Gavriel
Many years after Jeffrey Lang's Immortal Coil was written, David Mack picked up the ideas Lang had touched on, and ran with them to produce The Persistence of Memory, and I found this one … gobsmacking. It really is something very special indeed, not merely well written but also intricately plotted and with a rather courageous twist: decentralizing the series characters to frame the story through, and around, others for much of the book's running length.

The experiment could have killed this nov
Derkanus
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mean Mr. Mustard
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I almost stopped reading this book when, towards the very beginning, I encountered this sentence:

"Maddox pressed his dirty palms over his eyes, then pulled down, stretching his face into something that looked like it belonged in a funhouse mirror."

Really? A "funhouse mirror"? Was his face made of plastic?

I'm actually very glad I didn't stop, because in spite of the purple prose found in a few spots throughout the book (and this was the worst of them), I ended up enjoying the book very much.

Some
Robert
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephen
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book could have been titled "The Adventures of Noonien Soong".

For the greater part of his adventure, Noonien was on the run from Federation space. That's because he doesn't seem to have a favourable opinion of Starfleet: "I'm not saying Starfleet doesn't serve a purpose or do its share of good in the galaxy, but I'm no fan of the military, especially not its more regressive elements. And don't delude yourself, as 'enlightened' as Starfleet pretends to be, it still harbors a reactionary core
Stephen Smith
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back into Star Trek again I go. I read this on my Kindle, audiobooks just not an option with most Star Trek books sadly.

Anyway, as you can see on the cover this is a book involving Data, B4 or Sooong or whomever. I happens over 4 years after the last movie Nemesis in which they killed Data and Data had dumped his memories into B4. This is the first of 3 books from one of the better Star Trek authors.

Overall I enjoyed the book pretty well. The characters are for the most part spot on to what they
Olivia Mathers
i read this because it was one of the highest rated tng novels on here...but i can’t for the life of me figure out why??? 1/3 of the book is from the perspective of noonien soong which i thought would be interesting BUT it just feels like a lot of filler for a little information, and if you don’t like cocky assholes, you will be annoyed by his narration. i still enjoyed it for the bits with geordi, worf, and picard, but it’s not really the Return Of Data I was looking forward to. for a more exci ...more
Xhafer Husen
oh boy another shoe-horned (despite literally spending the entire book to set it up it still felt this way) deus ex machina ending in a star trek book say whaaaaaaaaaaaa

at least it sets up an interesting change for a character rather than just return to the status quo, and I have two more books in the trilogy to finish up before I get judgmental about it.
Derek
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think Mack really captured Soong's character. Or at least, created a compelling version of Soong's character. The man wasted so much time. Every day he spent hiding, tinkering in labs and playing games with strangers, he promised himself that once all his plans were in place, once everything was PERFECT, then he would see his family. Oh Often Wrong, you old fool...
Pyper
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining, Fast-Paced TNG Surprise

David Mack created an enthralling adventure. The pace is perfect, and the story holds a sweet surprise. I read this in only a few hours and look forward to the next installment.
Tourma
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know much about Star Trek, but this was an enjoyable read. A friend suggested it after trying to get me to watch TNG for the first time, (I suck at watching TV,) so they let me borrow the books.

I think I'm more likely to see the show now.

Onward to the next book.
Art Lyon
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you love Data and his "family", you might like this. I was disappointed, after loving Mack's Star Trek Destiny trilogy. The story here drags, and has chapter after chapter of flashbacks. I didn't even finish reading this.
Mrklingon
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Great exploration of what-if regarding the late Data. Not the direction that the new Picard series followed, but this is a great story with action and twists and turns following the lives of the androids in the Trek universe.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Star Trek Reads: CE1: Persistence of Memory 7 31 Jul 26, 2013 08:55PM

• The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
  • The Crimson Shadow (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • Star Trek: Picard - Countdown #3
  • Revelation and Dust (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • The Stuff of Dreams (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #4)
  • Plagues of Night (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #6)
  • Star Trek: Discovery: The Enterprise War
  • Raise the Dawn (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #7)
  • The Poisoned Chalice (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • Brinkmanship (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #8)
  • Peaceable Kingdoms (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • Forgotten History (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations, #2)
  • Hell's Heart (Star Trek: Prey #1)
  • Absent Enemies (Star Trek: Titan)
  • Atonement (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • The Missing
  • Rough Beasts of Empire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #3)
David Mack is the New York Times bestselling author of more than thirty novels of science-fiction, fantasy, and adventure, including the Star Trek Destiny and Cold Equations trilogies.

Beyond novels, Mack's writing credits span several media, including television (for produced episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), film, and comic books.

Follow him on Twitter @davidalanmack or join his fans on Fac

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 105 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)

News & Interviews

“You welcome your children into the world knowing that if all goes the way you plan, you won’t get to see the end of their story. It seems a sad notion until you realize that’s what gives you hope for the future.” 5 likes
“How can I be lonely when I hate people?” 1 likes