Start by marking “The Old Creek Bridge” as Want to Read:
The Old Creek Bridge

The Old Creek Bridge

When Jack Snyder was forced at age ten to deal with the tragic and explosive death of his moonshine-making grandaddy, he didn't. Instead, he became a self-made pariah, keeping only his monstrous temper for company.

Now plagued by shame and a desperate desire to escape his small town, Jack lashes out at everyone. Everyone, that is, but his high school English teacher, his ma
Paperback, Out-of-Print, 298 pages
Published November 24th 2015 by Bookish Group Press

To ask other readers questions about The Old Creek Bridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Old Creek Bridge

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
In this book we meet Jack Snyder right after his granddaddy has been killed while running from the sheriff. Jack's grandfather is an ornery old moonshiner that people loved to gossip about.
Palm Springs commercial photography

Jack discovers at the age of ten that there is a "monster" that he must fight with. His temper, he battles to control it and not let it become who he is.
The story revolves around Jack and his family. His Dad who has melanoma that has spread, his northern bred mom, and his sister Mary. Jack hates his life in
Adriana
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Review originally posted at (YA)BookNook.

Sometimes I have so many emotions crowding for my attention that it’s hard to get a review down. This is one of those times.

Guys.

I just--wow.

Let’s try words again: THE OLD CREEK BRIDGE by Sarah Kettles is easily one of my favorite books of the year--all squeezed into one night of sleeplessness when I should have been studying.

Step aside, med school.

This book was everything. Everything. It follows Jack Snyder--rough, vulnerable, startling realistic--as he
Traceg
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading The Old Creek Bridge. I love to read. I always have, and many books have touched me deeply. But few have wrung me out so completely. Actually only two others that I can remember...The Lovely Bones and Deep End of the Ocean. All three of these books actually made me feel like I was experiencing what the protagonist was experiencing rather than reading their stories. And while each was gut wrenching in its own way, all were amazingly powerful and well worth the tears spent. ...more
Charity
Dec 10, 2015 rated it liked it
For full review please go to: 5girlsbookreviews.blogspot.com, Twitter @camartinez and Facebook "5 Girls Book Reviews"

REVIEW BY: Angel, age 13 years, 1 month

MAY CONTAIN SPOILER:

This book was interesting with a twist of creativity. It was about a boy that seems like the death of his grandfather really affected him and opened up a great family mystery!

My favorite character is Mary because she is a great sister and relatable to my life.
Niamh Ennis
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed and emotions over this book, although the way people talked did make me keep thinking it was set in the past - do South Carolina people talk like that? The characters are well drawn and this book deals with a lot of things - teenage 'monsters' , pregnancy, cancer, and the one i found most hard to read (personal experience) child death. There were a few typos but for a self-published book that isnt too shabby as some full blown publishing house books have typos.
Kathleen Moran
Valerie Lawson
Jul 24, 2015
Aubrey
Sep 11, 2015
Sep 22, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Faith McKay
  • Stories For Children
  • Needlework
  • The Hypnotist
  • The Weight of a Thousand Feathers
  • The Ghost in the Big Brass Bed (Nina Tanleven, #3)
  • Half a Creature from the Sea: A Life in Stories
  • A Change Is Gonna Come
  • Black Heart, Red Ruby (Wicked Jewel #1)
  • Gathering Deep (Sweet Unrest #2)
  • Troublemakers
  • The Hate U Give six-chapter sample
  • I Am Thunder
  • Salt (Salt, #1)
  • Love Like Crazy
  • Awakened (Gods & Guardians #1)
  • Life: An Exploded Diagram
  • Red
Sarah Kettles is an American married to a Scot and living in Ireland, where she completed her MA in Creative Writing at University College Dublin in 2012. She’s been writing since she learned to read and playing with words since long before that. When she’s not working on her next book, she works as a freelance editor and illustrator. Online, you can find her at SarahKettles.com and @sfkettles on ...more