Start by marking “5,000 Words Per Hour: Write Faster, Write Smarter” as Want to Read:
5,000 Words Per Hour: Write Faster, Write Smarter

5,000 Words Per Hour: Write Faster, Write Smarter

(Write Faster, Write Smarter #1)

Includes a free spreadsheet to help you track and improve Words Per Hour. 5,000 Words Per Hour also has a companion app available for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch!

The fastest way to succeed as an author is to write more books. How do you do that with a day job, family, school or all your other time commitments? The secret is efficiency.

5K WPH will help you maximize your
Published June 21st 2015 (first published June 18th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about 5,000 Words Per Hour, please sign up.
Al I read on the author's page that the new version of iOS required him to make changes that he didn't have time to make so he yanked it. I guess his lov…moreI read on the author's page that the new version of iOS required him to make changes that he didn't have time to make so he yanked it. I guess his love of coffee isn't what it used to be :)

I ended up merging a couple of spreadsheets I found around the net for my use.(less)

Start your review of 5,000 Words Per Hour: Write Faster, Write Smarter
Manuel Antão
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Feckless Writing: "5000 Words Per Hour - Write Faster, Write Smarter" by Chris Fox

I spend “a lot” of staring-off-into-space time doing stargazing...and find it leads not only to better scenes in my reviews, but to literature work that really hangs together. I used to write 1-3,000 words a week in my reviews...but then I felt I spent my life editing. Now, I become very suspicious of myself once I go over 1,000 words at a sitting, but th
Rose
Quick review for a quick read. I read this book in about 45 minutes. It was a solid read covering writing sprints and a basic understanding of how to be more productive in one's writing practice. I though Chris Fox did a good job combining his advice on writing with his experiences, but I didn't get as much out of this book as other writing guides.

Overall score: 3/5 stars.
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great books. Helpful tips. I will definitely employ them. I do many of them, so it was good to get the validation. Great chapter on mind set. And congrats to Chris for changing his life.
Elizabeth Spencer
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
5,000 Words per Hour is a well-written little writing book dedicated entirely to increasing your writing output. It suggests you do word sprints--short periods of time where you write and do nothing else but write--on a strict schedule, and push yourself to write more and more in that period every day.

Here's his system in a nutshell:

* Find a special writing place where you (ideally) write and do nothing else.

* Pick a time when you will write every single day.

* Do writing sprints. Start out at 5
Robin Hatcher
Since I have written and published over 75 books, I can't say that I discovered anything new in this short book. And it isn't going to change me from a mostly-pantser to a full-out plotter. The "rolling plot" way of writing seems to work for me. However, I am a believer in writing daily, writing in blocks of assigned writing time, putting everything in to your time at the computer, etc.

If you want to be a writer and can't seem to get started or if you are a writer who just can't seem to be produ
K.M. Weiland
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you want to write 5,000 words an hour, this is the book to teach you how to do it. Full of practical and practicable ideas, many of which I already use myself, although not quite to same the extreme.
Alex
Have you tried a writing sprint in which you continuously write w/o stopping typing--and w/o being distracted and w/o going back and fixing anything including typos--for a duration of somewhere between 5 - 30 min?

If not, then read it, practice it. You won't be sorry. I already started on 5-minute sprints.

It's not a quick fix. It's not terribly new either--in fact, he draws on a lot of other areas-- exercise interval training, programming agile development, continuous improvement (originating fro
Melissa McShane
I got the 2019 NaNoWriMo Storybundle and this was in it. I read it because despite being a very fast writer, I'm always looking for tips for improvement. Most of the advice this book offers is good, and it suggests not only ways to improve writing speed, but how to stop futzing around with your book and actually complete it. On the other hand, it turns out I'm already doing what he suggests (for the most part) and improving my speed is going to be a matter of learning to type faster and/or dicta ...more
Suzannah
Some excellent tips. I of course read it right through and have not done any of the exercises at this stage, because I am too busy outlining my next novel. But I will certainly try them and see what they do for me.

Here's one quote which I thought was a gem:

Many writers have a psychological hangup that is perpetrated by the traditional publishing world. If you write fast then you must write crap, right? That is patently false. Your ability to wordsmith is not diminished by writing quickly. Writin
G.R. Matthews
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
It is motivational and may be doable... I might give it a go.
Jolie Pre
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for increasing output and speed. In addition, the author shares some personal thoughts about how he achieved a better life. Highly recommended. Be sure to download the app, as well. (Not required, but I'm glad I did.)
Nikki Caine
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review

Like the pomodoro technique this book is about setting timed periods to work. In this case it's timed writing. Nothing earth shattering here but follow the exercises and it will work for you
Emmeline Lock
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-ebook
Great, fast information. Sensible, doable stuff.
Chele Cooke
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable and helpful

I read through this on the bus to and from work, and so haven't done all of the exercises yet, but I'm setting it all up and did my first three sprints. The fact he mentioned that I might be sitting in a bus and not able to do the exercises right then did creep me out a little (how did he know??)
All in all, a short but useful little book that is all about doing, not just theory and pretty words. Would recommend it to other writers.
Jery Schober
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great advice about what you really need to write faster, nicely written. Loved the last chapter about mindset. A short book, but it says everything it needs to say and does not gloss over the fact that it takes hard work to succeed.
Can't wait to implement the new strategies. Recommended for every writer who wants to raise their wordcount and developd a new mindset.
Azn
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Books like this explain why self-publishing had become the dump spot for people who try to make a quick buck. With books titled 5000 Words per Hour, Write to Market, and Launch to Market, Chris Fox himself is the grandmaster of the fiction mill. He sells the dream that people can vomit up drafts after drafts of thoughtless wordsmithing while patting them in the back convincing what they just hurled into the page is of any quality.

To start with, he advocates something he called "Writing Sprint"
Sincerae
Sep 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
This little ebook was written in a lively manner.

However, it turns out that in my case it is only partially useful because my longer writing, outside of blogging and writing reviews on here, is all done in handwritten form first. I can really get into the feel and emotion of writing short fiction or poetry if I write it all out by hand initially. Being as messy as I like is a plus for me. Typing from the start gives me a feeling of being restricted.

This book is directed more at writers who typ
Stephanie Bibb
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Though I considered myself fairly fast at writing, I'd read good reviews of 5,000 Words Per Hour and had a chance to get it free if I signed up for Chris Fox's non-fiction newsletter. Since I was looking for a writing-related book to read, I decided to give it a shot.While it's too soon to see results, I've gone ahead and started trying to track my time and word counts. At the moment I'm still working primarily on editing, so seeing how many written words per hour I can manage is going to take a ...more
Suz Jay
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-writing
This is the second book I've read in Chris Fox's Write Faster, Write Smarter series. Like the Lifelong Writing Habit, I found 5,000 Words Per Hour a fast and enjoyable read, packed with useful and easily implementable advice. Fox also includes the excercises at the back of the book to allow the reader to access them easily. I particularly enjoyed the chapter on mindset. I look forward to reading the other books in this series and hope that Fox continues to release more series titles.
Katherine Owen
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great resource for all writers to increase writing output. Quick read.
Amanda Alexandre
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Habit. Discipline. Voice dictation. Start with micro-sprints of 5 minutes. Repeat and track your progress. Increase your Sprint time to 1 hour. Have a victorious mindset.
Heather Gilbert
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
Excellent advice and almost makes me think I can do this. ;)
Katherine Evans
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Seems like a good book for beginning writers who struggle with completing projects, however as a not-quite beginner who has so much on their plate that trying to finish a WIP has become impossible (this after having completed seven novels in just shy of four years), I feel like this method has saved my writing career. The concept of creating a sacred writing space and time to do purposeful, unrelenting sprints has opened up an entirely new world of possibilities for me.

Case in point, there was a
Dany
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Again, an interesting read that I enjoyed. I don't think I'll ever be writing 5,000 words per hour but I do want to write more and write consistently, and the writing sprints and tracking system are definitely plenty helpful for that.
Hope Ann
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Looking forward to trying these exercises and seeing how they work!
Allison Tebo
DNF. Not a bad book and I will finish it at some other date, just wasn't the right right time for me.
Olha
Jan 29, 2019 added it
It's a funny book about a productivity.
Main ideas:
+ voice dictation
+ training Words Per Hours printing speed
+ using Git wherever possible (well, it's my idea, not from the book).
+ using (micro)sprints for (writing) work.
+ communities like ToastMaster to train speaking skills
Jonathan H. Later
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I took some useful information from this book, but now, I have to place the learned material into action. Luckily, Chris Fox placed a section at the end where you can go back and do all the exercises after reading the book. This I liked a lot.
The book, however, is really, really short. The material is succinct, but in a way where he does not waste your time with personal material, or backstory about his life.
Basically, he talks about 'sprints' which are small sessions of writing, that can span
Melissa Erin Jackson
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, nonfiction
A quick, easy read with tons of sensible advice. Hopefully it helps kick my butt into gear!
Zoe Ashwood
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book! I must go through the exercises and especially learn how to type faster, I think. It's concise and presents an actual system for improving your writing process.
Writing 5000 words, I did not believe it but... 1 9 Jul 08, 2017 09:07PM

• Take Off Your Pants! Outline Your Books for Faster, Better Writing
  • Become a Successful Indie Author: Work Toward Your Writing Dream
  • Newsletter Ninja: How to Become an Author Mailing List Expert
  • Pricing Strategies: Maximize your bottom line for long-term financial health (Successful Indie Author Book 5)
  • Successful Self-Publishing: How to self-publish and market your book in ebook and print
  • Release Strategies: Plan your self-publishing schedule for maximum benefit (Successful Indie Author Book 2)
  • Productivity for Authors
  • Show, Don't Tell
  • Reader Magnets: Build Your Author Platform and Sell more Books on Kindle (Book Marketing for Authors 1)
  • How to Make a Living with Your Writing: Books, Blogging and More
  • Writing A Page-Turner: Five Editing Maxims to Make Your Book Irresistible
  • Save the Cat! Writes a Novel
  • Romancing the Beat: Story Structure for Romance Novels (How to Write Kissing Books Book 1)
  • How to Write a Dynamite Scene Using the Snowflake Method (Advanced Fiction Writing Book 2)
  • Write. Publish. Repeat. (The No-Luck-Required Guide to Self-Publishing Success)
  • The Writer's Guide to Training Your Dragon: Using Speech Recognition Software to Dictate Your Book and Supercharge Your Writing Workflow (Dictation Mastery for PC and Mac)
  • Writing and Releasing Rapidly
By day I am an iPhone developer architecting the app used to scope Stephen Colbert’s ear. By night I am Batman. Ok maybe not. One can dream though, right?

I’ve been writing since I was six years old and started inflicting my work on others at age 18. By age 24 people stopped running away when I approached them with a new story and shortly thereafter I published my first one in the Rifter.

Wait you’r

Write Faster, Write Smarter (7 books)
  • Lifelong Writing Habit: The Secret to Writing Every Day
  • Write to Market: Deliver a Book that Sells (Write Faster, Write Smart, #3)
  • Launch to Market: Easy Marketing For Authors (Write Faster, Write Smarter, #4)
  • Six Figure Author: Using Data to Sell Books (Write Faster, Write Smarter Book 5)
  • Relaunch Your Novel: Breathe Life Into Your Backlist (Write Faster, Write Smarter Book 6)
  • Plot Gardening: Write Faster, Write Smarter