Start by marking “Rain of Ash (Skydancer #1)” as Want to Read:
Rain of Ash (Skydancer #1)

Rain of Ash

(Skydancer #1)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  57 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
An inherited secret. An ancient rival. A magical Legacy.

Briana Spurrier turned her back on her heritage as a reincarnating witch to chase her dream career. But when a tragic accident calls her back to her small town island roots, a spell cast in her grandmother's dying moments opens her to Oracle powers she's spent her whole life avoiding. Now, an enemy of old has surface
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 303 pages
Published June 21st 2015 by T. M. Miller

To ask other readers questions about Rain of Ash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rain of Ash

Tasha and Megan Mahoney
Overall Rate 5

Performance Rate 5

Story Rate 5

As a huge fan of the magical fantasy genre I had high hopes when I began listening to this story and if I am honest for about the first 5 or 10 minutes my hopes dimmed, it was a slow start but then Briana decides to go home and the book takes off and Gwen Mitchell provides us with a journey that has adventure after adventure.

Briana is trying desperately to solve the vision that her deceased grandmother is communicating to her. Briana decides to stay a
Cheryl Whitty
Reviewed by http://bookaddict.live,
I was attracted to this book by the cover and the synopsis and couldn’t wait to listen. After 11 hours of being immersed in the Zyne world I now feel like I’ve lost my best friends. Kean, Astrid and Briana. The narrator managed to pull me into story so much I now feel bereft.
The author has created a unique and interesting world that I hope to revisit when book two comes out. A magical world with so many layers. The world building conjures a rich world and I was
Gwen Mitchell
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I'm so excited to share Rain of Ash on audio with a whole new audience!

To celebrate the audiobook release, I'm giving away all kinds of goodies, including free books, candles, and a set of BEATS headphones! Follow me on social media or visit my blog for details.

What listeners are saying:

"...as soon as I started listening I was completely captivated with how amazing the story was written that when I looked at the clock, it was three hours later. I was that pulled into the story that I had lost tr
Tes - paperbackbones
RTC
Sophia
I was perusing my shelves for a good witchy read for the Spooky Readathon I'm participating in and spotted this one languishing in my Audible library. This was one I won during the #JIAM event and I remembered being rather excited to try a new to me author, narrator, and urban fantasy world. Perfect!

Rain of Ash is the first in the Skydancer series that is a swirl of fun, but also dark urban fantasy elements surrounding an ageless battle for possession of an artifact and an Oracle.

The story opens
Julie S.
I received this audiobook as part of my participation in a blog tour with Audiobookworm Promotions. The tour is being sponsored by Gwen Mitchell. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it.

Rain of Ash was such an exciting and complicated urban fantasy. Just how I like them! This book does not hold back - there is pain, and sacrifice, and so much bloodshed. This book has demons, and powerful witches, immortals, reincarnation, and soul mates.

Rain of Ash starts with our protagoni
Madalyn
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
RTC!!
Lisa Norvell
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good

I am looking forward to the next book in this series. Excellent world and character building. Will love seeing how this resolves.
Katherine Paschal
**Review is posted on https://smadasbooksmack.blogspot.com/ **

When Bri is awakened in the middle of the night with anxiety as well as a death vision, she knows what the ringing phone will be about. Bri thought she gave up her life of magic when at 17 she chose to have her powers bound and left her home to start over somewhere fresh. Now, she is forced to go back home since her grandmother and younger sister are dead. But somebody doesn't want Bri to go back, and despite Bri's powers being bound,
Lauren Jones
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What does it mean to protect a relic that has been passed down from generation to generation in your family? Knowing that some of your family members have died to protect this thing can be an enormous burden on your shoulders. Would you do the same? What would happen if you failed? Mitchell has an interesting spin on this new urban fantasy world shrouded with mystery, betrayal and secrets.

Briana has a nice, cushy lifestyle in Sydney, while everyone whom she ever loved remains in tight knit coven
Teresa
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first book by Gwen Mitchell. It will not be my last though. Rain of Ash is the story of Briana Spurrier. The last of her family has passed away and she must return to her home town. Years before Bri turned her back on everything and everyone including her magic to be a concert pianist. Now that she is back she must unleash her magic to battle a demon to save herself and everyone else.

She hooks back up with her friends from childhood. Astrid her best friend and Lucas her first love, to
CK
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! An awesome book that lured me right in! The intensity of the characters and the ongoing challenges kept me wondering what was going to happen next! I’m looking forward to next book in the series! Great job!!
Brooke
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
This book has you questioning who is the culprit throughout most of the story. It keeps you guessing and when you talk yourself out of that one you have another to think is guilty. I really enjoyed listening to this book and will look forward to more in this series.
BookJunkie777
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook review: Rain of Ash was an interesting adventure in urban fantasy. The romance is complicated, the storyline has many twists with mystery, danger, death & magic in abundance. Character development is nicely done and well rounded. The narrator did a nice job but was a little slow for my taste. I received a free copy of this audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.
Amanda Ellis
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Closer to a 3.75

Review to come!
Lynn  2 Girls & A Book
Audiobook Review

I like where the author is going with this story. She definitely laid the groundwork for future books. Book 1 was fast paced and kept my interest. The MC, Bri, cannot catch a break. Heartbreak and death seem to follow her. As the reader you cannot help but connect to her and feel her pain.

I enjoyed the story being brought to life by narrator, Daniela Acitelli, but she made Bri come off as weak and whiny. I didn't take from the story that the MC was weak and whiny but the narrator
Sherry Fundin
Rain of Ash by Gwen Mitchell is a paranormal and supernatural tale of a curse, a legacy and Briana Spurrier, the Skydancer that will be called upon to defeat the demon. The story has been told before – good magic vs bad magic, but I lost myself in the fantasy world of demons, legacies, magic, danger and death created by Gwen Mitchell.

Briana had left her home, her passion the piano and her desire to be a concert pianist drove her to deny her heritage. But, the curse and her legacy was not be deni
Erin Hartel
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can't wait for the second book to come out in a few months! Really want to see where Gwen takes her characters.
Jessica O'Toole
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
The energy and atmosphere of Rain of Ash takes me back to the days where I was well into Wicca stories and films like the The Craft (I really wanted to do magic!), and so delving into a coven-based story was a welcome treat - I haven't read anything in the genre for a long time. This is far more adult than The Craft, which is welcomed, but still massively nostalgic personally.

I loved pretty much everything; Gwen Mitchell's style is exciting and all the magic, and crossing planes and time and spe
Carolyn Walker
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The novel begins with a gripping scene of a woman being burned at the stake. The angry villagers shout to her, calling her a witch and evil. The scene is intense and immediately pulls you into the story. As the woman breathes her last breath we get a clear sense that this is only the beginning of her story, not an end. We then fast forward to present day and follow the life of Briana, a Zyne Witch by birth but concert pianist hoping to lead a normal life in Australia by choice. However, despite ...more
Caryn {iam.caryn}
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
Gwen Mitchell's Zyne Witch world is a rich and all encompassing delight.
I'm grateful for the preview for the next book because I'm already thirsty for more.
Mitchell has once again created delicious and well rounded characters that leap right off the page.
I honestly can't even choose a favourite between Rain of Ash and her previous Zyne novel, To Tame a Wild Heart. They're both wonderfully executed and captured my heart completely.
I'm very excited to see what Mitchell comes up with next!

5 stars
Jonathan Smith
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great Story! Gwen brings you in with the characters and shares the adventure with you!
Lynn Z
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this audiobook free for an honest review. I thought this book moved very slow and then when it picked up, it was very confusing. Maybe I wasn't ready for this book at this time. I found it difficult to keep track of what was going on. At some other point in time, maybe I would be better able to focus on this story. The narrator was not one of my favorites. Maybe my lack of concentration was partially because of the narrator. Maybe at some time in the future I will be better able to co ...more
T.
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
I downloaded Rain of Ash, book 1 of the Skydancer series, as a free ebook from Amazon. A really good read with interesting characters and an intriguing plot. Plenty of twists and turns to keep you guessing.
Lisa Harris
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a good story but it lacked something that draws me into a story. I really enjoyed the narrators performance. she was the reason I continued listening. I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my voluntary review.
Preeti
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent story and character building. You get hooked to the book until the last page.

Waiting eagerly for the next book in this series.
Naomi
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Looking forward to the next installment.
Beth DiLoreto
Jul 15, 2018
Amy
Mar 03, 2018
Gwen is living her happily ever after in Seattle. She's a nature lover, science geek, and spiritual explorer, with a nose for well-aged tequila and a pin-up fashion obsession.

When not chasing butterflies to hidden waterfalls or cavorting through the Emerald City, she can be found in a cozy chair reading and brewing up tales of magic, adventure, and romance.

Join her Readers List to receive a free

Skydancer (2 books)
  • Veil of Thorns (Skydancer #2)
“Looking down from the heavens, she saw how small, and yet how important each human life is. Drops in the bucket of eternity. She saw her minute place in the organic machine of the Cosmos, witnessed the give and take and the slow, steady swinging of life's pendulum. The world relies on order, pattern, and repetition. The earth spins and swings around the sun with rational, mathematical predictability.

But she also saw the chaotic nature of things. No matter what, you can never know with certainty what will happen. Lightening can strike, the ground can open up and swallow you, and the very air you breathe can tear your life away.”
3 likes
“Words came to her from outside of memory; they fluttered against her heart like a rush of wings and soared from her voice in a song she'd never known. A song she'd always known. She hummed the incantation, and the force of magic behind it erupted in a crescendo through her blood. Every cell in her body vibrated with pure joy. I have lived this before. This is my destiny. I am Zyne. 1 likes