Start by marking “The All Souls Real-Time Reading Companion” as Want to Read:
The All Souls Real-Time Reading Companion

The All Souls Real-Time Reading Companion

(All Souls Trilogy)

This exclusive ALL SOULS trilogy real-time reading guide brings to life the world created by Deborah Harkness in A DISCOVERY OF WITCHES and SHADOW OF NIGHT, taking you through the auspicious dates of the story with exciting behind-the-scenes extra content.

A world of witches, daemons and vampires.
A manuscript which holds the secrets of their past and the key to their f

Published September 18th 2015 by Headline

N.N. Light
Are you a fan of Deborah Harkness and her trilogy? Then this will be an extra-special treat for you. Filled with all sorts of historical information and insight by Harkness, fans of the All Souls series will gobble up this reading companion.

As an urban fantasy/paranormal writer, I found this companion very helpful. It's an eye-opening read because Harkness shares valuable insight. She's honest about her process and that is priceless. Writers everywhere should pick this up for that reason alone.
Mollie
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've only read the first book in this series, so I totally spoiled some things for myself. It was worth it. This book contains a reading guide and tons of information to better visualize the material. I especially liked the music that the author provided for certain scenes. It was over too fast, but a good treat.
Elina Gomberg
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought I will read it just to kill time and hang on to my beloved characters, but I actually liked it. It made me appreciate the trilogy even more and the fantasy blends in with the history so beautifully.
Jessica
What a cool way to format a guide book! This follows each chapter of the first two books in the All Souls trilogy. You read the coordinating section in this after every chapter of A Discovery of Witches and Shadow of Night and it gives historical information, paintings of characters, pictures of the buildings, and the music that Deborah Harkness listened to while writing that chapter.

It's free and worth the time. I wish they had continued it with The Book of Life.
Barbi Faye (The Book Fae)
Jul 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vampires
Recommended to Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) by: D. Harkness
A richly illustrated reading guide that brings to life the world created by Deborah Harkness in A Discovery of Witches and Shadow of Night. In real time, she's retracing the events of her awesome bestselling books with behind-the-scenes details. Lots of pictures! This is a world peopled by witches, vampires, and daemons...
A manuscript that holds the secrets of their past and the key to their future... It is about Diana and Matthew, and it is about the forbidden, vampire, love at the heart of the
Esra
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-english
Bahsi geçen yerleri, kişileri ve sanat eserlerini gerçekten görerek kitapları okumak çok keyifli oldu..
Ayrıca yazarın ilham aldığı şarkılar da çok güzel :)
Stephanie Cates
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific companion to the All Souls Trilogy

Pictures, paintings, maps, music and more help bring the All Souls Trilogy to life brilliantly in this short companion book to the All Souls Trilogy. It makes the books and the world within them seem even more real. You must read the trilogy books first though, to get the full benefit of this wonderful companion book.
Zee
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebookbub
I wish there was a section on The Book of Life, but sadly, this only covers the first two books. I'm always interested in an author's process and I could tell that a lot of research was done for these books, I love historical fiction for the learning aspects and this seems to be quite true to the time periods involved.
Madison
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
This was great to have next to me as I was reading the series, The research that Harkness included the the whole reading experience an extra step further, and I was in love with the pictures of Diana's outfits and the different places they stayed in Shadow of Night.
Melisa Esra✨
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: may-wrap-up
Really enjoyed this book, a must-read for die hard All Souls Trilogy fans 💝💝.
It’s really interesting seeing where Deborah got her inspiration from, and I also found some good music! And also, history!!!
Loved it!
Gitte
May 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Background for the very history interested

Too much history for me. Except the paintings of some of the RL people in the book. There are some Q&A with DH some will find interesting
Alice Funnell
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting

This was a brilliant companion to have instead of flicking back and forth between Google to search for the history behind the story. I love how it allows you to deepen your involvement into the world that’s been created
Lisa
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this!

This is a good guide while ready the trilogy. I loved this series and this book just adds too it.
Tamara
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Companion

This is an amazing look into the books that I have come to love so much. The pictures help in understanding the surroundings
Kathy
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

It was wonderful to see the photos and links to the authors inspirational music! I Will definitely look through this again.
Karie
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Nice addition to the first two books
Sue
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just a run down of some parts of the series. Shows how much the author does for research and how important the history is.
Jen
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun little extra read if you're interested in some more of the historical aspects of the first 2 books in the trilogy
Iain A
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well worth reading, if you intend to work your way through the series. Informative and insightful.
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ
After everything else I read, this amounts to very little. On the other hand, if you're not buying her new Complete Guide, this was free.
Leann Hayes
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazingly written and a guide to everything all souls. Helps with background info. Very beautifully illustrated and I am so in love with this book.
Nikki
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great, quick read for anyone wanting more on the setting, inspiration, and history of Discovery of Witches and Shadow of the Night. I enjoyed it and would love a playlist somewhere of the songs included (updated: https://deborahharkness.com/all-souls...)
Nancy
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deborah Harkness

You will enjoy reading all of Deborah Harkness books. The history is awesome, you see what's going on like you are there with the characters.
Teresa
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a keepsake encyclopedia of the All Souls Trilogy which I will always flick through when I have a spare moment. And I am also colouring it in too.
Cherie
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book alongside A Discovery of Witches and Shadow of Night, the first two books in Deborah Harkness's All Souls trilogy. I followed along, chapter by chapter, delving deeper into the world of All Souls that this reading guide provided. Pictures, historical facts, and additional detail provided a deeper understanding into the components that made up these books. Particularly useful during the historical 16th century parts, the guide shed light on many of the intricacies of the time wit ...more
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This reading companion is an absolute treat for fans of Harkness's all souls trilogy which I also highly recommend. This guide brings the reader back to the world she created. It provides illustrations as well as more descriptions and her personal notes about how she saw places. I also like that she gives us more history of the time and world of events referenced in the original series. I love that the author is a history buff and how she wanted her series to be highly accurate and detailed. Bei ...more
The Story Girl
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice companion to the first two books in the All Souls trilogy. The historical aspect was my favorite part, so I love that we got a little bit more of that here. I loved seeing the pictures and seeing small parts of the book brought to life! I hope there will be a companion for the third one as well. I wouldn't mind seeing more images from the first two books, either. I love when you can read a book and learn at the same time.
J Susanne
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brunch-book-club
Marking down by one star only because the Kindle e-book cannot show the illustrations well enough. The images used by Harkness to illustrate her source data. When I brought the ebook up on my large iMac screen, the view was excellent and supplemented the verbal descriptions of the book. Well worth reading as reference while I read the novel, itself.
Ka Goodrich
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect companion book and travel guide through all souls triology

A perfect companion book and travel guide through All souls Trilogy. Love the details and historical references. Enhances an already phenomenal series.

• The Unofficial Harry Potter Insults Handbook: 101 Comebacks For The Slytherin In Your Life
  • Jane Vows Vengeance (Jane Fairfax, #3)
  • Crazy Stupid Money (Kindle Single)
  • Cursed Ever After (Eternal Vampires)
  • Gabriel
  • The Vampire Pendant  (Blood Genies, #1)
  • The Bite of Winter (Love Bites, #1)
  • The Story of the Great British Bake Off
  • Immoral: Tales of a Vampire Hunter (#1)
  • Some of the Best From Tor.com: 2016 Edition
  • Beyond the Glass Slipper: Ten Neglected Fairy Tales To Fall In Love With
  • Vampire Dreams Revamped (Sons of Navarus, #0.5)
  • Three Gothic Novels: The Castle of Otranto, Vathek, The Vampyre, and a Fragment of a Novel
  • The Fierce Reads Anthology: Volume 2
  • The Stars Afire
  • Draw One in the Dark (Shifters, #1)
  • The Blood of Angels (Divine Vampires, #1)
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2012 Edition
My life has been a series of left turns that nevertheless took me in the right direction (though it didn't always seem so at the time). I went to college to be a theater major and ended up studying the Renaissance. I went to grad school to become a college administrator and loved to teach so much I became a college professor instead. I thought I wanted to be a Tudor-Stuart historian, and found mys ...more

All Souls Trilogy (3 books)
  • A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1)
  • Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy, #2)
  • The Book of Life (All Souls Trilogy, #3)