Start by marking “Survivor” as Want to Read:
Survivor

Survivor

When the first person on the Ultimate Bushcraft adventure holiday mysteriously dies, it's a tragedy. But when the second, and third die ...it's no longer mysterious: it's suspicious. Who can you trust when everyone left alive is a suspect? Who is the murderer? As the numbers dwindle, the chances of survival plummet ...Staying alive has never seemed so guilty. Perfect for f ...more
Published August 13th 2015 by MACMILLAN CHILDREN'S BOOKS

To ask other readers questions about Survivor, please sign up.
Charlie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Matt
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Survivor is a gripping and intense novel by Tom Hoyle, and definitely deserves 4.5 stars.

Survivor is set in outback Australia and follows the story of George. After saving a baby from a burning building he gets the opportunity to go on the 'Ultimate Bushcraft Camp', with other kids around his age. Everything is going fine until the first victim dies. This is taken as a terrible tragedy, but when the second, third and fourth go its clear that no-one can be trusted.

For me the first couple of chapt
Smelleykins
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads, four-star
Waterstones sent this out a week early. I'm not complaining! Firstly the book is another bright one. Green. I do love these bright colours. The story is about George, who because he has saved a life, gets to go on an adventure to Oz. Whilst there with a number of boys things begin to happen. Bad things. Boys start being killed and no one knows why or who's next. The story switches between Gregory's statement of what happens and also the attackers. We never know who the attacker is until near the ...more
Pauline
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Maybe 3.5 stars for me but only because I found this a very uncomfortable read. It is very clever and the format and structure is entertaining but I am not a big fan of thrillers. It really does keep you guessing but this "Lord of the Flies" mixed with a psychopath is not really the sort of story that appeals to me. Readers who like edge of the seat, psychological drama will love this.
Siobhán Bayertz
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really loved this book!

Finished and started it all in the space of a few hours because I could not put it down.
CherCher
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed-books
Why I read this
I was at a sale where you could buy as many books as could be fit into a box for a flat price. Since me and my friends wanted to fill it with as many boxes as possible, some of the ones we picked were filler. And for me, this was one of those.
I picked it up mainly because of how strikingly (neon) green the cover is. I quickly flipped through the inside and also quite like the font.

Rating: 3/5

I don’t have much to say about this to be honest It was an ok, quick read. I managed to g
Tom
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
WOW! I don't really read many YA books and this was recommended by a friend who really loved it too. This a short, only around 250 pages I think, story that had some aspects of Agatha Christie's 'And Then There Were None'. It follows a boy named George who is sent on a bush craft holiday in Australia as a reward for saving some people in a fire. Whilst on this holiday with people he doesn't know, things start to go really wrong. This book was narrated by George but told through a succession of p ...more
Sophie
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I bought this book originally because the bright colour made it stand out (I know, I know).

But I am quite pleased that I did! My rating is 4.5 for the storyline itself. I found some things I could predict (as with all stories) but other things I kept changing my mind on. I found that I was having to evolve my theories and question myself. I feel that I could guess just enough to keep me hooked and I couldn't quite put my finger on enough things that I felt like I really understood how confused
Adele Broadbent
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: older-teens-14
This story is written as a transcript from George Fleet’s cell after an experience he will never forget. Interspersed through his transcript are police statements/phone call transcripts by witnesses or those who knew George. Another important part of the story are chapters by the killer – seeing how he ticks.
Also included are newspaper reports from many years before that are relevant to the case.

When George sees a house on fire from his seat on the bus, he leaps off and helps save a woman and he
Annabelle
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, I love love love the colour of the books. They really stand out on my bookshelf. It's very unique and definitely a good idea.

My friend recommended this book to me and I loved both Spiders and Thirteen (read them both in a day, they were great!). I did the same for this book because I wanted to know the outcome and I was guessing at who was responsible for the killings through the whole book. I kept jumping between characters as to who it was so in that respect, Hoyle did a really great
Sharath Madhusudhan
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book is average but not bad. It oscillates somewhere b/w thrilling and could've been better. As mentioned some portions are really chilling and gives you a rush. Explanations are very detailed and one feels as if they are right in the setup. But the major disappointment for me was the conclusion. It could've been made better. Overall It's a good book kill your time. And and and.... The cover really is attractive. Superbly designed..!!
Rebecca
Not bad. It was okay an enjoyable read but no more than that. I liked the format and the way it was set out. It was done in the first person being split from George's point of view, the killers point of view and statements. The story was okay. 3 stars.
Chloe Valentine
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This story is incredibly underrated and I wish was read by more people. This story follows a boy named George, who has saved a life. He then goes on an adventure. But things start to take a turn for the worse.
I won't spoil anything but I honestly reccomemd this story.
Rahma medhat.
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book rn and I was impressed with the amazing writing and the interesting story. I bought this book not knowing anything about it so I really suggest you pick it up and read it without knowing anything about it. I give this book 5/5 stars. Tom Hoyle did a fantastic job.
David Boam
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Entertaining but predictable story line for fans of the genre. Still a gripping read.
Morgan browne
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really good book!
EmmaB
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good book with a very interesting plot that really makes you think. It is very interestingly set out which is very enjoyable to read, a very good book!
Zoe
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was good, though it took awhile for me to figure out what was happening. I found the murderers perspective interesting and the evidence was different from other books which was nice. However George was a bit bland, not really feeling despair or shock or scared or sad or anger. You know, what you'd feel if you thought something was hunting you in the middle of the woods.

I did enjoy trying to figure out who the killer was. Though I did work it out, I didn't work out who there "assistant" was an
Noor
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. Once I picked it up I couldn't put it back down, it kept me guesssing who the killer was till the end. I must praise the writer for how cleverly this book was written. Definitely 5/5 👍
Enaya N.
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the writing style and the pace of the plot.
sophie_books
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was actually a really good book. it was a different kind of mystery and usually I am able to guess who is the killer but this time I had no idea. I give a 4,5 stars. I enjoyed it a lot
Cheryl
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5/5

I read this book in one entire sitting. At first, I wasn't sure if it was for me or what age group it was aimed at. I was so interested in this story. As time progresses, you get more confused and keep guessing what you think is going to happen.

I like that the story is told from the perspective of the main character, another character (alternate chapters) and the occasional entry from someone else. The chapters are relatively small which makes it easy to just "read one more."

I haven't he
ki
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am in to this book. Like. I am IN TO this book.
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I loved reading it.
Okay maybe I had a slight suspicion of the culprit from towards the beginning, but it wasn't completely obvious and there were MANY red herrings which was goooood and added to the mystery.
I don't know what it is, I just love Tom Hoyle's writing style a lot which is what got me into his other books, and thus into this one. And the way he wrote the insane ranting of the culprit was really scar
Katie
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. There's so much suspense and tension because you're trying to find out who "he" is.

(view spoiler)
Bekah Ward
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow. Okay. Review to come!
Kyra Ellis
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Absolutely phenomenal. Read it cover to cover in one sitting.
Ronnie
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked the plot but I think it could've moved a bit quicker. I didn't like the slight predictability, but I managed to get over that. Overall, it was ok!
Greysmilexx
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
It started off slow but when the plot kicked off, I had to keep the main lights switched on..
MR N A GOUGH
Aug 16, 2016
Cecilia Tang
Jun 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Chasers (Being Human, #2)
  • Afterlight
  • Alchemy (Mercian Trilogy, #2)
  • Rose's Vintage
  • Sunburn
  • Panther
  • Bomb
  • Hacked
  • Afterworld
  • Unwanted
  • The Batman Adventures Vol. 1
  • This Broken Wondrous World (Man Made Boy, #2)
  • How to Be Happy: A Memoir of Love, Sex and Teenage Confusion
  • Washed Ashore
  • Zombie Apocalypse! Fightback (Zombie Apocalypse, #2)
  • Eight (The Last Thirteen, #6)
  • Iris and the Tiger