Start by marking “An Introduction to Yoga” as Want to Read:
An Introduction to Yoga

An Introduction to Yoga

3.14  ·  Rating details ·  263 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The book has no illustrations or index. Purchasers are entitled to a free trial membership in the General Books Club where they can select from more than a million books without charge.
Subjects: Yoga; Health
Published June 1st 2002 by IndyPublish.com (first published 1907)

To ask other readers questions about An Introduction to Yoga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Introduction to Yoga

Robert
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book as a freebie on my Kindle App. I have been practicing yoga for a while now and it gave a great history and look at some wonderful ideas about yoga as a whole. It is broken up into different "lectures" and those are broken into different segments as well.

I recommend this for people who have been practicing for a while or even newbies to yoga. Even if you are not into yoga yet and are thinking about it, the book gives some wonderful things to think about. The only thing I had some
Jessica
May 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009
I'm going to finish this book since I'm more than halfway through it. It came installed on my iPod so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Since I know no Sanskrit or basically nothing about the philosophy of Yoga, I'm pretty lost. I'm reading the words but not really grasping what I'm reading and certainly not retaining.

Would recommend for a newbie unless really interested in the topic and willing to read supplemental material to make the investment of time worthwhile.

FINISHED!
Alexkidd117
I expected much more from an introduction book, giving me more historical details, about spirituality and maybe some pictures but nothing. If you have 2 hours to spend read it, if not you find books about yoga more interesting as I did.
Bernie Gourley
Sep 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
Given what the word “yoga” brings to mind these days, I’ll first note that this isn’t the book for one who’s looking to improve a stiff downward dog, or even an errant kapalbhati breath. There’s no mention of such physical practices. This is a philosophy book--or theosophy if you want to get technical about it. Besant’s definition of yoga makes this clear, “Yoga is the rational application of the laws of the unfolding of consciousness, self-applied in an individual case.” The book is actually a ...more
Claudia
An interesting read into the background and origins of yoga and its involvement with science, spirit, body and mind. Recommended for those who are interested in grasping the understanding of yoga and concepts behind it, so not necessarily those who practice it.
Some of the terminology is a little difficult for someone who doesn't study or understand or have any interest in philosophy or its related areas. Majority of the book, however, is well detailed and easy to determine the ideas being presen
Melissa
Dec 22, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-read
way over my head. might have been good for someone who has been spiritually practicing yoga for a while.
Brianne Howard
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
enlightening

This text is very accessible for understanding its teachings. When questions did arise, they were quickly answered in terms that I could understand.
Jennifer-Eve Workman
Oct 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Slightly confusing... tooooo wordy and not enough examples. More of a lesson not a how to!
shridhar
  • Raja Yoga or Mental Development
  • The Mind Shaman
  • From Hell Companion
  • Brains: How They Seem to Work
  • An easy guide to meditation
  • Yoga and Ayurveda: Self-Healing and Self-Realization
  • Yoga Mala: The Seminal Treatise and Guide from the Living Master of Ashtanga Yoga
  • Yoga: The Iyengar Way
  • The Essence of Buddhism
  • It Takes a Genome: How a Clash Between Our Genes and Modern Life Is Making Us Sick
  • Light on Prãnãyãma: The Yogic Art of Breathing
  • We Are Everywhere: The Irresistible Rise of Global Anti-Capitalism
  • The Voice of the Silence: Being Extracts from the Book of the Golden Precepts
  • Cosmic Memory: Atlantis and Lemuria (Harper library of spiritual wisdom)
  • Philosophy: A Text with Readings
Annie Besant (1 October 1847 – 20 September 1933) was a prominent British socialist, theosophist, women's rights activist, writer and orator and supporter of Irish and Indian self-rule.

She married aged 20 to Frank Besant, but separated from him over religious differences. She then became a prominent speaker for the National Secular Society (NSS) and writer and a close friend of Charles Bradlaugh.
More about Annie Besant...
“This world is full of forms that are illusory, and the values are all wrong, the proportions are out of focus. The things which a man of the world thinks valuable, a spiritual man must cast aside as worthless.” 3 likes
“They who cannot face the world have not the strength to face the difficulties of Yoga practice. If the outer world out-wearies your powers, how do you expect to conquer the difficulties of the inner life? If you cannot climb over the little troubles of the world, how can you hope to climb over the difficulties that a yogi has to scale? Those men blunder, who think that running away from the world is the road to victory, and that peace can be found only in certain localities.” 2 likes