Start by marking “Frontier Living: An Illustrated Guide to Pioneer Life in America” as Want to Read:
Frontier Living: An Illustrated Guide to Pioneer Life in America

Frontier Living: An Illustrated Guide to Pioneer Life in America

With more than 200 illustrations by the author.
Published August 1st 2000 by Lyons Press (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Frontier Living, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frontier Living

David Choquette
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Early American history is populated by giants, men and women of great deeds whose stories have grown with hundreds of years of retelling. Every young child in our country learns about John Smith, Pocahontas, Squanto, Daniel Boone, and the like, but for those who want to know how the regular folk lived in America’s early days, there is Frontier Living. This thick and meticulously illustrated reference by Edwin Tunis describes life on the edge of civilization, and the unique culture that was born ...more
Thomas Bell
Aug 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: newbery-honors
Well, for a picture book just over 160 pages, this book sure was long! I read only about 15-20 pages per hour because there was SO MUCH on every page.

Frontier living is a whole bunch of small sections describing so many little details of life on the Frontier, mostly between the mid-1700s and the mid-1800s. The author describes clothing, household items, lifestyle of various types of frontier people, etc.

Anyway, the book was pretty good and quite interesting. The sketches they had on nearly every
Rachel
Feb 17, 2010 rated it liked it
good sketches, but not a book students are going to want to pick up. starts with jamestown and carries thru to western expansion. i like it as a teacher bc info is good, but not the most appealing to a teenager.
Monica Fastenau
May 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Read the full review here: http://newberyandbeyond.com/mini-newb...

This book provides an interesting look into–yes–life on the frontier. I’ve been interested in pioneer life ever since Little House on the Prairie entered my life, and this book helped feed that interest. This book is fairly dry, and I think if I had picked it up as a kid, I probably would have lost interest pretty quickly. Still, I can see it working as a book to read with your kids, or something to give to a child who has an obs
K.
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up because I am an illustrator and love the beautifully drawn images by Edwin Tunis. There is much to learn by observing his masterful renderings in pen and ink. The fact that he has also written a well informed and engaging book to go with them is remarkable. But my adoration is in his artwork with this and many other titles by him.
Lena
Aug 14, 2014 rated it liked it
a little boring and not very helpful for my research
Ms. Mielke's Class Make sure you post how your sheets tell you to!!!!

This is a very interesting book about western living, heading west, and the difficulties along the way. I would recommend this book to readers of an advanced reading level. $HH$
T
Mar 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
truth be told...i didn't finish this one. it wasn't bad or anything, i guess i just wasn't in the frontier living kind of mood. i'll probably try to read it again someday.
Wendy Quest
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, research
Excellent visual reference guide that describes the daily lives of American pioneers who explored and settled the territories west of the Appalachians.
Apr 25, 2016 added it
Shelves: history
We should all learn and respect where our ancestors came from. We could have a one room school house event at school after or during these lessons.
Deborah
Feb 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, non-fiction
This book covers how the pioneers lived, from what they used to cook to what they wore. The books was very informative and easy-to-read. Black-and-white drawings illustrate much of the information.
Jess Trebanna
Mar 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely invaluable. That is all I have to say. :)
Jill
Feb 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: newbery-honor
Very in-depth look at frontier life. The illustrations are spectacular and incredibly detailed. I had just finished reading the Little House on the Prairie series, and I have to say this was a wonderful way to boost my understanding of that time period. It's a fantastic reference book to novels that take place in that time period. A little dense in places, but if you ever need a step by step guide to building your own log cabin, look no further! Definitely deserves a Newbery Honor, probably shou ...more
Christina Packard
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Tons of sketches and lots of explaining on just everything! I believe this easily could have been a Newbery Award book. As an adult I learned many things that I had never heard of like "Hitting the nail on the head." ..or "High tailing it".
Michael
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great summary of early life in America. Particularly those who lived here in the 16 and 1700's. Life was extremely difficult, they had to work at being alive everyday. I believe that few of us would survive today if we were cast into those conditions.
Mckinley
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is more a specialized encyclopedia. It has short essays on daily life as the American frontier moved westward.
寶 簡

• Bright Island
  • All Sail Set: A Romance of the Flying Cloud
  • The Loner
  • The Jumping-Off Place
  • The Old Tobacco Shop: A True Account of What Befell a Little Boy in Search of Adventure
  • The Windy Hill