Start by marking “The Secret of Our Success: How Culture Is Driving Human Evolution, Domesticating Our Species, and Making Us Smarter” as Want to Read:

Humans are a puzzling species. On the one hand, we struggle to survive on our own in the wild, often unable to solve basic problems, like obtaining food, building shelters, or avoiding predators. On the other hand, human groups have produced innovative technologies, sophisticated languages, and complex institutions that have permitted us to successfully expand into environ ...more
Published October 15th 2015 by Princeton University Press

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of Our Success, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of Our Success

Start your review of The Secret of Our Success: How Culture Is Driving Human Evolution, Domesticating Our Species, and Making Us Smarter
Michal
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Secret of Our Success is one of these books that really shines light on the evolution of human species. Written by Joseph Henrich, Professor of Anthropology at Harvard, this book is one these few that really change how I see the world. An example of the book that had similar impact for me would be "Who's in charge" by Gazzaniga, or General Semantics by Korzybski.

The premise of the book is simple, but profound. Humans are cultural animals, and culture helped us evolve into the dominant speci
Alex Zakharov
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A well-articulated case for gene-culture coevolution, and as good of an argument for culture driving genetic evolution as you are going to get. For starters Henrich’s book effectively debunks the once-orthodox and badly mistaken view (espoused by the likes of Stephen Jay Gould) that human biological evolution basically stopped 50K years ago and we’ve since been adapting via cultural evolution. Henrich does stress that accumulated culture is the driving force of human evolution but he also demons ...more
Andy
Nov 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good collection of factoids and anecdotes illustrating the point that human intelligence/behavior can be biological without being genetic. And that is important because it emphasizes the roles of the physical and social environments. Unfortunately, the book is put together like a course syllabus more than like something for the general reader (with frequent parentheses referring to other chapters, etc.)
Mehrsa
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, comprehensive and well-written overview of how culture shaped us as a species. Henrich writes a very convincing and well-sourced history of humanity. A few really random and interesting tidbits:

* Kids will pick up and play with all sorts of things, but before putting plant-like things in their mouths, they will look to an adult for cues.
* Our bodies are built to run (read born to run for more), but not for storing water. So our evolution was premised on us being able
Anurag
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Culture has long been neglected while explaining biological evolution, and I personally have never thought of the many links between the evolution of our society and of our genes. This well-researched book by Harvard professor Joseph Henrich presents an account of human evolution while clearly underlining profound ways in which culture has shaped our genes.

According to the author, the Rubicon which tipped our species from ape-hood to something more, was the beginning of a runaway pro
Jayesh
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Trying to queer the nature-nurture binary :D (rather the genetics-environment binary). I think it overreaches in the middle with some of the Evo-Psych explanations lacking specificity in how exactly culture has such a strong effect on selection itself. Otherwise goes well with Reich's Who we are and how we got here, Cochran's 10000 year explosion and Pinker's Blank State.

Main theme of the book is what it says in the subtitle - it's hard to distinguish effects of culture evolution and human evolution since
Simon Lavoie
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is an extensive account of gene-culture coevolution. Bringing together many lines of evidence (archeological, linguistic, genetic, first hand-ethnographic datas, behavioral economics, comparative psychology) author addresses those central themes :
• our (over) imitative tendency, leading to (1) underperforming at self-interest oriented games when compared with chimpanzees, and to (2) replicating behaviors that are superfluous and devoid of instrumental efficiency;
• the rational o
Vikas Erraballi
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"We stand on the shoulders of a very large pyramid of hobbits."

A must-read.
Graeme Newell
Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible
This is an interesting book on cultural anthropology and how our very social brains influenced human evolution. We tend to think of evolution as a primarily biological process, but the authors do a good job of showing how social interaction had a profound impact on the transformation of our bodies and brains.

The authors are two very smart people and the book explains some of the most interesting research being done in evolutionary science.

Humanity’s killer app was not so much our bi
Daniel Frank
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

This is a masterpiece. One of the most interesting and informative books I have ever read.

This book challenges the conventional wisdom on the anthropics and evolution of our species, and provides a compelling theory for how social learning has driven a biological change in humans, sparking the development leading to where we are today.

Despite being a big think/theory book, each page is filled with fascinating information hooking the reader for more.
Douglas O'laughlin
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is literally a 6 star book. Sapiens with teeth and creates a lot of causal models and things that you can use for better cognition. Cannot stress enough how good of a book this is.
Laurent Franckx
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
What, if any, is the fundamental difference between humans and other animals? We have in-laws.
At least, so argues Joseph Henrich. He really does - but, of course, this bold statement is just part of a broader argument. According to Henrich, it is a fundamental mistake to think that the success of the human species can be explained by our cognitive capacities. The real advantage of humans, he argues, is that we are capable of learning from others, not just from personal experience. The evid
Jerrod
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a great treatment of up-to-date theory and evidence on the evolution and effects of social norms. Henrich's main thesis is that what distinguishes humans from other animals is our ability maintain and transfer cultural knowledge through multiple generations. This allows for the accumulation of knowledge that is not held in any individual's head but is embodied in the norms, rituals, and technology we use everyday. Not only that, but our cultural evolution has actually driven our biologic ...more
Will A
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Books that influence me most tend to do so by giving me new glasses to see the world through: Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies for seeing the impact of environments on history; The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York for seeing how power operates; The Death and Life of Great American Cities for seeing how cities work; The Unfolding of Language: An Evolutionary Tour of Mankind's Greatest Invention for seeing how language changes. This book promises to have a lasting influence on me by giv ...more
Ushan
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthropology
Humans pride ourselves on being smart, rational animals. However, several times in history, European explorers found themselves in food-rich unfamiliar environments: the Arctic, the Australian outback, the American Southwest, and either starved to death or would have if they hadn't been enslaved by the natives. Why didn't they use their smarts to figure out how to survive there? Because it is very difficult. Both hunting and gathering are skills that take decades to perfect, and took thousands o ...more
Jeremy
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
There have been a number of recent books that have added to, or somewhat amended, Darwinian evolution, including The Tangled Tree and The Evolution of Beauty. In that same vein, Henrich argues that culture has played a large role in the success of our species. We have surpassed other ape species in part due to our ability to learn from others, and to create larger groups to learn from and continue the knowledge. To some extent culture has led to biological or genetic evolution.

The ma
Kevin Hu
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Henrich takes the reader on an expansive tour of our species from the lens of cultural accumulation, social learning, and culture-gene coevolution. His writing is crisp. Sections progress at a graceful pace, each building on the previous. By the end, I wish I could read it anew a second time.
Tomáš Zemko
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Groundbreaking. Highly recommended.
Tiago Irineu
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An introduction to genetic-cultural coevolution theory. A must-read for anybody interested in human behavior and cultural and institutional evolution.

This theory states that Culture has been the main driver of human genetic evolution and that there is feedback effect between cultural and genetic evolution.

The book can be divided into three major endeavors.
First, Henrich argues that Cultural Knowledge is the explanation of how we could "dominate" the world, without speciating like a
aneez
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Engrossing, entertaining and persuasive. The basic synopsis of the author is genus homo is special kind of animal, whose success cannot be attributed to individual intelligence but "cultural" legacy bequeathed to us. By culture he means "the large body of practices, techniques, heuristics tools, motivations, values and beliefs that we acquire while growing up mostly from other people". Sometime in our evolutionary lineage, this processes of cumulative culture began and slowly but surely started ...more
Adam
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely essential read for anyone who wants to understand humans and human nature. Why did humans dominate the planet and every other animal species? The usual answer is "we're the smartest." WRONG. An individual human is only slightly smarter than an individual ape. It's because of culture. We can learn and teach over generations. Cultural evolution, not genetic evolution, has been the dominant force of human history. Absolutely must read book.
Frank
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mma, audio, home-library, quake
Fantastic! This is a quake book for me. It is a big idea book that gives a new way of looking at the world. Basically, the ideas in the book update your mental models of the world. The idea of genetic-cultural co-evolution re-frame our species success and helps us understand a lot of human behavior.
Usfromdk
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
" ...trying to understand the evolution of human anatomy, physiology, and psychology without considering culture-gene coevolution would be like studying the evolution of fish while ignoring the fact that fish live, and evolved, underwater."

This is without a doubt the best book I've read this year. Highly recommended.
Silverwav
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic. Most informative book since The Selfish Gene

A book which answers a lot of the fundamental questions. Brilliant dazzling and a milestone in explaining human success and evolution.
Jay
I've long been a proponent of the idea that culture matters, this book takes that idea to a whole other, and (I think what should be) somewhat obvious level. Joseph Henrich answers the question of why are humans so successful with; not innate intelligence, but "collective brain"..... culturally transmitted know-how accumulated across the generations that drive not only our customs and technology, but our genetics, psychology, and biology as well. Henrich gives anthropological grounding to Hayeki ...more
Dorotea
Interesting read, his main argument is that cultural learning evolution is the primary driver of our species’ genetic evolution.
Max
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this grand theory of humanity as the cultural species and I agree with a comment by Robin Hanson about the book: It offers an impressive density of explanations of human affairs.
Luke
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This chart is the key golden nugget from this book.

The rest of the book explains the power and implications of that idea.

From the book:
Infants are well known to engage in what developmental psychologists call 'social referencing.' When an infant or young child encounters something novel, say when crawling up to a chainsaw, they will often look at their mom to check for an emotional reaction. If the attending adult
Aaron Arnold
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love him or hate him, Jared Diamond's resource and geography-based theories of differential human social complexity in Guns, Germs & Steel have spawned an entire genre of Big History books refuting, supporting, or extending his arguments, and it seems like every few months there's an important new entry in the Big History field that presents a new angle on those research questions. Henrich's discussion of how gene-culture coevolution differentiates humans from all other species on earth than ...more
Patrik Lindenfors
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books on the current state of research in cultural evolution written so far. Engaging and fun to read, it steers clear of simplifying the field or overstating the relevance of the examples provided.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Darwin's Unfinished Symphony: How Culture Made the Human Mind
  • The Evolution of Childhood: Relationships, Emotion, Mind
  • Not by Genes Alone: How Culture Transformed Human Evolution
  • The Psychology of Creative Writing
  • Ultrasociety: How 10,000 Years of War Made Humans the Greatest Cooperators on Earth
  • Power, Inc.: The Epic Rivalry Between Big Business and Government- —and the Reckoning That Lies Ahead
  • Hierarchy in the Forest: The Evolution of Egalitarian Behavior
  • Surfing Uncertainty: Prediction, Action, and the Embodied Mind
  • Wired for Culture: Origins of the Human Social Mind
  • Domination and the Arts of Resistance: Hidden Transcripts
  • About Town: The New Yorker and the World It Made
  • Constructing The Self, Constructing America: A Cultural History Of Psychotherapy
  • Mind in Life: Biology, Phenomenology, and the Sciences of Mind
  • Cuisine and Empire: Cooking in World History
  • Adapting Minds: Evolutionary Psychology and the Persistent Quest for Human Nature
  • Arrival of the Fittest: Solving Evolution's Greatest Puzzle
  • Passions Within Reason: The Strategic Role of the Emotions
  • Map: Exploring the World
“The results reveal the power of prestige: when the gold-starred player had the opportunity to contribute money first, he or she tended to contribute to, and thus cooperate in, the joint effort, and then the following player—the low-prestige person—usually did as well. So, everyone won. However, when the low-prestige player got to contribute money first (or not), he or she tended not to contribute to the joint project (not cooperate), and then, neither did the high-prestige player. Even” 2 likes
“For many Westerners, “it’s natural” seems to mean “it’s good.” This view is wrong and comes from shopping in supermarkets and living in landscaped environments. Plants evolved toxins to deter animals, fungi, and bacteria from eating them. The list of “natural” foods that need processing to detoxify them goes on and on. Early potatoes were toxic, and the Andean peoples ate clay to neutralize the toxin. Even beans can be toxic without processing. In California, many hunter-gatherer populations relied on acorns, which, similar to manioc, require a labor intensive, multiday leaching process. Many small-scale societies have similarly exploited hardy, tropical plants called cycads for food. But cycads contain a nerve toxin. If not properly processed, they can cause neurological symptoms, paralysis, and death. Numerous societies, including hunter-gatherers, have culturally evolved an immense range of detoxification techniques for cycads. By contrast with our species, other animals have far superior abilities to detoxify plants. Humans, however, lost these genetic adaptations and evolved a dependence on cultural know-how, just to eat.” 1 likes