Start by marking “Praying the Bible” as Want to Read:
Praying the Bible

Praying the Bible

“This little book is explosive and powerful.”
R. Albert Mohler, Jr.

When you pray, does it ever feel like you’re just saying the same old things about the same old things?

Offering us the encouragement and the practical advice we’re all looking for, Donald S. Whitney, best-selling author of Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life, outlines an easy-to-grasp method that

Published June 15th 2015 by Crossway

To ask other readers questions about Praying the Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Praying the Bible

Chelsey
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
*This rating is based on an ARC provided by NetGalley.

The information in the book was very straight forward, which I appreciate. The method that was presented seems very solid and I'll probably use it in my own prayer life.

However, I just didn't feel like this was worthy of an entire book. The prayer method was so simple and direct that it could be read and understood through a more concise medium, like a blog post or essay. The entire epilogue and many of the chapters were reiterations of the
Becky Pliego
My review in 2015: I remember it was about 4 years ago that I learned to pray the Bible, and my prayer life changed forever. I don't remember from whom exactly I learned to do that; maybe it was Luther or was it Matthew Henry? Or maybe John Piper? I don't recall, but I can attest that praying the Bible can transform your prayer life significantly.

I am so very glad that D.S Whitney has taken the time to write this book. And I want to recommend it to all of you who are struggling in your prayer l
Melanie
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, where, august
Praying the Bible was a short book, but it was a powerful one. The way it explained a different way to pray (using the Bible, especially the Psalms), was quite interesting and I can see how it would help to keep prayer from becoming repetitive. I really liked this book and can see myself rereading sections in the future.
Adam Calvert
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
This book grew on me. At first, based on all the accolades and endorsements, I was expecting this amazing, transforming read on prayer life. But then as I started reading it, I was a little disappointed.

It seemed like the author was advocating a kind of “look at a passage of Scripture” and stream-of-consciousness pray about what it makes you think of. And it is kind of like that, but at the same time definitely different. Whitney does make sure to be clear that the way he is talking about prayin
Tanner Keen
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very practical and helpful solution to a very real problem. I’ve already seen it impact the way I pray. A must read for any Christians who are finding themselves trapped “praying the same old things about the same old things” and want a way to make it fresh.
Jen Vanderwey
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome concept. Practical, manageable and encouraging. Only issue: this tiny book is over-written and too redundant.
Heather
Oct 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a useful book on prayer. The premise is very sound - use the Bible, particularly the Psalms, to frame your prayers rather than praying the same thing day after day. It's a very quick read, but there's really not a lot to it. It probably could have been expressed just as adequately in pamphlet form. The only quibble I had was when the author discouraged getting "mystical" and actually listening for God to speak back to you. Instead, he insisted that the Bible itself was God's half of the ...more
Bambi Moore
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual-growth
This book was recommended by a visiting pastor at our church one Sunday, as he preached an extremely edifying and practical topical message on prayer. I immediately added it to my wishlist so helpful was that message. No spiritual discipline is so hard for me than prayer! And after reading this book I know I am not alone (even George Mueller struggled, until he began praying the Scriptures. Incidentally I now want to re-read Mueller's biography). This little book can be read in a few hours cover ...more
Connor Anderson
An excellent resource on a method of prayer. Will definitely be teaching the material to my students.
Ryan Hawkins
Short and sweet. It wasn’t the most amazing book I’ve read. And it didn’t include brand new information. But I will honestly say it has helped with my prayer life a good amount.

The book is essentially three things:

First, Whitney sets up the problem—about how so many of us struggle with prayer *because* we pray the same things in the same ways over and over.
Second, he sets up the solution—praying God’s words back to him.
Third, he explains the method—his way of praying the Bible simply by reading
Ty Lukasiewicz
Do you get bored when you pray? Are you Tired of praying the same old things all the time. Donald Whitney’s praying the Bible might just be for you.

In his book, Whitney gives a simple answer to help boost your prayer life. Who thought it could be so simple yet so true to pray the Bible.

To be honest my prayer life needs work. Whitney’s book is just what I needed. I learned how to pray the Bible and it has helped immensely. Now I have no shortages of things to pray about.

Big thanks to my sister
Andres Valencia
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
La tesis del libro, el metodo que propone Whitney fue totalmente nuevo para mi , cuando escuche del libro pensaba que propondria leer y memorizar largos pasajes de las escrituras para que sean nuestras oraciones, pero me lleve una gran sorpresa cuando explico el problema y la solucion. Estoy muy agradecido con Dios por el autor de este libro, lo empece a practicar en mi vida y ya quiero que otros creyentes lo conozcan y lo apliquen.
Dianne Bright
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really practical take on how to turn Bible passages into personal prayers. The first few chapters start out kind of slow, but it really picks up after that. I like how the author also references people of the faith, like George Mueller and John Piper. I recommend this book for your study group (2 chapters per meeting).
Ana Ávila
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Este libro corto (y creo que podría ser más corto) cambiará tu vida de oración. Si tienes dificultad para ser diligente en esta disciplina espiritual, tienes que leerlo.

***

This short book (and I think it could be shorter) will change your prayer life. If you struggle to be diligent in this spiritual discipline, you have to read it.
Gerald
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super solid 5 stars. It's short and concise but the message is powerful and life-changing. I have already booked this one for our Bible study group!
Highly recommended.
Tricia
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick, helpful, practical
Curt Mize
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will radically change your prayer life forever. That is not an overstatement. It is the first book I point people to who desire a more vibrant prayer life.
Grayson Gilbert
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish to start by saying that I’ve read a lot of books on prayer. Some have been helpful and some I wish I didn’t even take the time to finish them. For Don Whitney’s book, Praying the Bible, I can faithfully say this is a book that has been incredibly helpful.

The book is short and can be digested within a day if one truly wanted to – yet I would recommend slowing down and taking stock in what is written. It is an incredibly accessible book, organized well, and clearly articulated. Better yet,
Benjamin
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most Christians at some point find that in their prayers, they are praying the same old things about the same old things. This little book is a practical guide to using the Bible itself as a basis for prayer. Chapter 7 is, as Whitney says, "The Most Important Part of This Book:" that is, putting into practice what he has been talking about. Up to Chapter 7, Whitney provides brief clear directions. After Chapter 7 he provides many examples to encourage the reader. Highly recommended.
Ginger
Whoever says social media can't be used for good? I was reminded of this short volume yesterday when a friend referenced it on Instagram. I had purchased it ages ago for my Kindle, but hadn't gotten around to it yet. I've read other (wonderful) books on praying the Bible, but picked this one up, read it within a couple hours, revamped my prayer journal, and just bought four copies of it to give to other friends whose names sprung to mind. So simple as to really be able to make a real impact on m ...more
Tommy Speirs
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Great method. I read this book as part of Dr. Whitney's Personal Spiritual Disciplines class. I think the method is biblical and has already proven to be a tremendous encouragement to my relationship with God and I hope to my ministry to others. I would hope every Christian could experience the joy of of a true conversation with God through hearing God speak His word and speaking prayers in response to and shaped by His own words. However, I'm not sure the impact would have been the ...more
Dkovlak
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good book. Don Whitney presents an interesting way of praying. Rather than having prayers that say the same thing over and over, Don suggests that we choose a passage in the Bible and pray as it leads us through the passage. The Psalms are an excellent place to pray the Bible. As you pray for various things and people, you can use the Bible verses as a guide. By doing this, you will be talking to God, and he will be talking to you. George Mueller, Jesus, and the new Christians in ...more
Belle
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book, full of beneficial and spiritually edifying passages to drive home the need for growth in personal prayer. I especially love the point made regarding repetitive reiteration in prayer. I loved the easy to read format, the compelling passages, and the Biblical accounts of those who prayed the Psalms.
Ricki
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
DNF. This would have been a great sermon, but as a book it was incredibly repetitive. The method of prayer is great and I plan to use it, but it could have been explained in 15 minutes instead of a 2+ hour audiobook.
Jelyn Oj
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
I've been using psalms most days now as part of my daily guide in prayer since after doing the exercise from this book. It indeed helped me not to pray the same thing everyday with the same words. Very good and easy to read. 👍🏼
Daniel Rowe
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an excellent little book! I suggest that everyone, regardless of age or stage, take a day to work through it.
Eric Abisror
This was a small and very encouraging book on praying the scripture. If you are looking for small and helpful book to help with your prayer life, look no further! Highly recommended!
Danica Abisror
Great book, a simple method, but it seems like it will be really helpful to apply to my prayer life! I'm looking forward to praying the bible and seeing God work on me in this area!
Laurie
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This simple practical approach to prayer is life-changing -- I wish I'd read this 40 years ago.

-if God invites and expects all his children—regardless of their age, IQ, education, or resources—to do the same thing—to pray—then prayer has to be simple.

-The Lord has his people all over the world, and among them are believers of every sort of demographic description. And yet by his Spirit, he gives to all of them a desire to pray.

-So what is the simple solution to the boring routine of saying the s
Michael Philliber
Donald S. Whitney, professor of biblical spirituality and associate dean at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky, and accomplished author on the subject of the spiritual disciplines, has handed off to Christians a wonderfully simple approach to prayer. This 106 page hardback, "Praying the Bible" puts in readers hands and hearts an uncomplicated, usable way to turn boring old prayers about the same boring old things filled with boring old phrases into fresh and fleet ...more
  • The Prayer of the Lord
  • Habits of Grace: Enjoying Jesus through the Spiritual Disciplines
  • Who Am I? Identity in Christ
  • Taking Hold of God
  • Evangelism: How the Whole Church Speaks of Jesus
  • A Call to Prayer
  • Taking God at His Word: Why the Bible Is Knowable, Necessary, and Enough, and What That Means for You and Me
  • Devoted to God: Blueprints for Sanctification
  • Discipling: How to Help Others Follow Jesus
  • One-to-One Bible Reading: A Simple Guide for Every Christian
  • The Gospel Call and True Conversion (Recovering the Gospel)
  • Call to Spiritual Reformation
  • Visual Theology: Seeing and Understanding the Truth About God
  • Jesus on Every Page: 10 Simple Ways to Seek and Find Christ in the Old Testament
  • The Passionate Preaching of Martyn Lloyd-Jones (A Long Line of Godly Men Profile)
  • Being There: How to Love Those Who Are Hurting
  • Killjoys: The Seven Deadly Sins
  • Eyes Wide Open: Enjoying God in Everything
DON WHITNEY has been Professor of Biblical spirituality and Associate Dean at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, KY, since 2005. Before that, he held a similar position (the first such position in the six Southern Baptist seminaries) at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Kansas City, MO, for 10 years. He is the founder and president of The Center for Biblical Spiritua ...more
“The text of the Bible means what God inspired it to mean, not “what it means to me.” 3 likes
“So basically what you are doing is taking words that originated in the heart and mind of God and circulating them through your heart and mind back to God. By this means his words become the wings of your prayers.” 3 likes