Start by marking “Darth Vader #1” as Want to Read:
Darth Vader #1

Darth Vader #1

(Star Wars: Darth Vader (2015-2016) (Single Issues) #1)

Ever since Darth Vader made his first on-screen appearance, he became one of the most popular villains to ever haunt an audience's dreams! Now, follow Vader straight from the ending of "Star Wars: A New Hope", (and the pages of the new Star Wars comic book), into his own series, showing the Empire's war with the Rebel Alliance from the other side! Writer Kieron Gillen and ...more
Published by Marvel (first published February 11th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Darth Vader #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darth Vader #1

Start your review of Darth Vader #1
Jedi JC Daquis
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I shouldn't be loving this Darth Vader comics (I am a Jedi for the love of Hutt's butt) but I am a Star Wars junkie and everything about Star Wars have a special place in my heart (except for many parts un the second SW trilogy, I mean that would be an awesome triumvirate if not because of the exposition and a lot of stuff that bogged them down). So Darth Vader issue one? Yeah, it is great.

This extended canon (I believe so) happened right after the events of Episode IV where we all know that the
Sam Quixote
Feb 12, 2015 rated it liked it
The stench of the prequels hovers over this comic as if the ghost of Jar Jar (you know he hanged himself after Revenge of the Sith) blundered into the presses and farted on the paper before the comic was printed.

It’s interesting that Marvel chose Kieron Gillen to write this Darth Vader solo series because he also wrote a (terrible)Wolverine miniseries, Origin II. The two characters are comparable in that they are standouts in an ensemble cast but take them away and bring the focus entirely on t
Eric
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans
Just as well done as Star Wars #1, and showing the same time period and events as that series, although through the dark lens of Lord Vader's helmet. ...more
Moses
Oct 19, 2016 rated it liked it
"Darth Vader #1"? I would say this is more like "Darth Vader #32," in that I've probably seen or read 31 better depictions of everyone's favorite Sith Lord. This is the first depiction of Vader I've read in the "new canon," and he is an altogether less fearsome and less important figure than he is in earlier Star Wars comics. I kept thinking of how much more evil, how much closer to the evil, silent, fearsome original, Vader is portrayed in Ron Marz's comic "Extinction," where he battles one of ...more
Laurence
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ultimately too simplistic and well, Marvel.
Ned Leffingwell
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-book
I was nervous about the Marvel Star Wars titles, but I decided to pick up this one. The art is gorgeous and captures the details of the Star Wars universe that we know. The story sets up many mysteries that draw the reader in. The high point is Vader's confrontation with Jabba the Hutt. I enjoyed this issue very much but I will probably wait for the collected graphic novel to read the story.

There are two negatives to this title. The first is the price tag. The issue casts $4.99. I do believe th
Jean-Marie
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Star Wars: Darth Vader issue #1 released today. It seems that each of these new Star Wars comics are being perfectly timed with their releases. This one branches off from the first two recently-released Star Wars comics. I think for you to fully enjoy one of the series (Star Wars, Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Princess Leia, etc.) you will probably need to read them all. I like how they are all being tied together, because 1) you will get your Star Wars fix more frequently and 2) it will keep the stor ...more
Jon
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I could not have expected anything more from this first issue. It's already shaping up to be a memorable series that provides insight into possibly the most iconic villain of all time. The author did a marvelous job with the character and the artwork is quite fitting. I loved how the story was tied into Marvel's new Star Wars comics and the plot that's occurring there with our classic, beloved heroes. Highly recommended for any fan. ...more
Lady*M
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
After the destruction of the first Death Star, Darth Vader is in the dog house with the Emperor. All other minions (including Tarkin) are dead and only Vader is left to take the blame. But, the Dark Lord will not take it silently or meekly, that much is clear from the beginning. Especially after just meeting Luke. Excellent art and there were some really nice touches (an evil Wookiee makes an appearance). Promising start.
Martina
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars, comics
Sometimes I find parts of the new comics hard to believe. The Sith now don't do Jedi mind tricks? Other than some little concerns, I just love the art. The story isn't hard to follow... 10 points to Marvel, I guess. ...more
Miguel
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good
Steven Shinder
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Garth Hamilton
This glowing review originally appeared on Garth's Blog: http://garthhamilton.blogspot.com/201...
Chronologically, this tale runs somewhat parallel to Star Wars: Volume 1, told from Darth Vader’s perspective. The actual crossover moment riffs on the brilliant climactic image (which I won’t spoil here) from that other comic that I reviewed above. Chilling, and effective.

There are so many never-before-seen things in here for Darth Vader fans: Vader is consumed in his quest to find out who is son is
Peter
Feb 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Not a bad start. The story of Darth Vader after the destruction of the first Death Star. As one of my all time favorite characters, it was odd to see him getting reprimanded by the emperor for incompetence for allowing the rebels to "win", for a big chunk of the book. It set us an interesting dynamic. Much as I love the Star Wars universe, I've never been really pulled in by many of the comic versions out there. This one, I think, has potential.

As with the beginning of any new comic series, we
Solace Winter
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I actually think I enjoyed this more than the Star Wars two I've read so far. To me, Darth Vader was a character that needed fleshing out. I have said before I was never much into the movies, and to me the movies did not do enough to make me understand why this character was all that scary. Despite blowing up a planet, that was a push of a button. I'm talking sheer power. Nothing he did was enough for me. Here, he goes through an intimidation of character and something he always lacked in the mo ...more
Onessa
Jan 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
3,5, I guess?

I dunno, it was a fun read, I liked it quite a lot, but when I finished it I wasn't really excited. I read it because I had the urge to read/see more of star wars but somehow it felt as if this comic was too short to tell an interesting story.

Plus the art-style was a bit weird. Quite nice, but somehow I had the feeling it wasn't hand-drawn but that the artist just copied pictures of the main-characters from the films.
mike andrews
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars
Outstanding. Written and drawn. If you are going to have Vader as the focal point it has to be done well and this was fantastic. Vader on practically ever page and his nemesis is none other than Sidius. Vader has to prove himself to his master after the destruction of the Death Star.
Amanda
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, marvel
Didn't intrigue me enough to get another issue I dont think, great art though! ...more
Mari the Illustrious
Jan 01, 2021 rated it did not like it
Doesn't flow. Dialogues most of the time felt odd.

Some of Vader's lines felt OOC [e.g. "I would... meditate"] Umm???
Doesn't sound intimidating at all and it sounds grammatically incomplete as well. Every line from the other Darth Vader comics I have read so far - to be sure - has always come across as fearsome, even when he's in his passive state - for instance when Vader is meditating and he is interrupted by one of the lowly crewmates].

And I didn't enjoy Aphra as a character. She looked and a
Ben
My ten year old daughter read this, and I am working through the series with her. (We're both reading them.) She loved the first volume so far. I've read volumes 1-3.

An interesting post-Yavin take, that the old canon didn't do. Not sure how I feel about Vader being on Tatooine post-ANH (or at all really), and that he goes to Jabba for information/resources. Also not sure how I feel about using Fett as the means to find Luke or thats how Vader realizes Luke is his son.

These are short quick books
Jesse James
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this comic, it was a good blend of prequel and OT without the prequel stuff being... prequel-y, is best I can put it into words at the moment haha. It was well written is what I will say.

Dr Aphra is also an awesome addition to the Star Wars Universe and a very likeable character!

If I had one complaint it would be that it's less about Darth Vader going on Jedi Purging, there's actually none of that but I mean it's set in-between Episode 4-5 so... I guess it wouldn't make much sense
Jay
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent addition to the Star Wars canon. A comic that highlights the immediate aftermath of the destruction of Death Star #1 (In other words between Episodes IV and V) and the subsequent conflict it causes between the emperor and his apprentice Darth Vader. The story helps extrapolate the deeper character nuances of Darth Vader and his nascient obsession to capture the "the new hero of the rebellion" who blew up the Death Star. New characters and technology are introduced to the can ...more
Artemis Hobbs
Feb 12, 2020 rated it liked it
First Star Wars comic I have ever read. And... *drum roll* it was okie doakie. No skirts were blown up. (Though the art certainly did its best). I enjoyed it and having Vader's voice in my head for narrating purposes was especially fun.
Overall, expansion stories like these are ultimately just fine for me. They are fun and fluffy. Stuff like this needs to exist, not everything needs to be the greatest story ever made.

Seriously though the art is amazing.
John Michael Strubhart
What a delightful tale! It fills in some much needed information. Ever wonder what happened after the destruction of the Death Star? Did Darth Vader get called in the carpet for his failure? Of course, he did! But how did that play out? After all, Vader was the only one left alive to blame. Now, you know you want to read it! Ha ha! No Jedi mind tricks needed here. Only deviously prodded curiosity! Oh, and you'll want to check out the director's panels at the end. They're pretty cool. ...more
Kathleen
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am not a big comic book fan (sorry), but I did enjoy this. I have a few other Vader comics and I love them. I know some believe Lord Vader is over used, but I feel he is part of the main drive of Star Wars. We know who he was, who he became and what happened. However there is still a lot of room to fill in the gap. So anything Vader I love. To he me he is the ultimate Sith Lord.
Roger Mexico
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good dialogue (some of the best “comic book dialogue” I’ve read), great art, interesting story, short but illuminating. Karbin was an interesting villain (a Mon Cal meets Grievous-tech Vader rival?... [mind-expanded]. Recommended!
William Wygle
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This first issue of Darth Vader goes well with the current Marvel run of Star Wars #4. Darth Vader is on Tatoonie making deals with Jabba The Hut while Luke Skywalker is on the same planet also looking for clues to his past. An entertaining read for Star Wars fans.
Rachel Kulik
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
i love kieron so much but idk how i feel about this series yet. i think i'm so used to loving my og trio that switching to a vader perspective is weird. i anticipate 4 stars for the rest once i get used to it ...more
Duho Rhee
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
About to read

About to read, but the app forces me to write a review before I move on. This is not right.
Andy Hickman
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Star Wars – Darth Vader
#1 - “You arrive a day early, kill two of my guards and expect me to deal with you? - Jabba
“I have ONLY killed two. Do not make me reconsider my generosity.” - Vader

• Star Wars #8
  • Star Wars: Darth Vader - Dark Lord of the Sith, Vol. 1: Imperial Machine
  • Star Wars #9
  • Star Wars: Vader Down
Kieron Gillen is a comic book writer and former media journalist.

Star Wars: Darth Vader (2015-2016) (Single Issues) (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Darth Vader #2