Start by marking “Love & Gelato” as Want to Read:
Love & Gelato

Love & Gelato

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  22,431 Ratings  ·  4,176 Reviews
“I made the wrong choice.”

Lina is spending the summer in Tuscany, but she isn’t in the mood for Italy’s famous sunshine and fairy-tale landscape. She’s only there because it was her mother’s dying wish that she get to know her father. But what kind of father isn’t around for sixteen years? All Lina wants to do is get back home.

But then she is given a journal that her mom h
Published May 3rd 2016 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Love & Gelato, please sign up.
Brenda Yes, it absolutely is. Jenna Evans Welch comes from a strong Christian background, so there's lots of wholesomeness here, but she doesn't bring…moreYes, it absolutely is. Jenna Evans Welch comes from a strong Christian background, so there's lots of wholesomeness here, but she doesn't bring religion into the story. There is no moral preachiness to be found. It is just simply clean, wistful fun. (less)

Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, contemporary
This was super cute and really interesting!
More thoughts and possibly a BiblioBabble to come!
Lola  Reviewer
‘‘You know, people come to Italy for all sorts of reasons, but when they stay, it’s for the same two things.’’
‘‘What?’’
‘‘Love and gelato.’’

WARNING: Love & Gelato may trigger a dizzying yearning for gelato. I repeat, Love & Gelato may trigger a dizzying yearning for gelato. Beware, readers!

3.5 stars. It may also make you crave to find love in Italy…

This contemporary novel is exactly what I needed after finishing a frightening thriller novel – Behind Closed Doors. It took my mind off n
Kasie West
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Super cute. I loved it.
Cait • A Page with a View
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary-ya
This might be the cutest book I've ever read. The entire thing was just so hopeful and HAPPY (even when the topic might not have been). The Italian scenery was gorgeous, the food was amazing, and all of the characters were so precious. I wish I could go back and read it all over again... or just go to Florence this summer myself. If you're looking for a good YA contemporary (or just a lovely book in general) I definitely recommend this one!!
Maureen
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
BTAT 2017 book #2

Possibly even a 4.5/5 stars

THIS. WAS. SO. CUTE.
The plot? Adorable and intriguing. The characters? Pretty great. The setting? INCREDIBLE. So much good stuff in this BOOK!
I loved the twists and the turns of the plot as well as the added element of Lina's mom's journal. And a book set in Italy just.....so good. So so good.
If you enjoy contemporary romances you'll for sure enjoy this book.
Celine (celinereads)
hi can i give this book 10/5 stars because THIS BOOK IS FANTASTIC. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND. i LOVE THE CHARACTERS AND STORY AND THE COVER AND EVERYTHING. ok. also, love & gelato is an extremely easy and quick read that's addicting and amazing and i'm in love!!
katherine
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
If you are looking for a light, super fluffy and easy read then this book is for you and you should totally pick it up! :)

Not going to lie I did pick this up for the cover as it’s just so pretty and nice to look at so it was 100% a cover buy but it ended up a really enjoyable read. This book made me want to go for Florence so bad, the way it was described was just magical and I so wanted to be there eating Gelato and looking out at all the amazing views.

I was captivated by the unique people, th
Amber Robertson
DNF @ 10%

I will be displaying my emotions through Ron Swanson gifs.

Love and Gelato was a book I desperately wanted to love. I mean, the set up was perfect. Italy, love and gelato (which I've never actually had but it sounds good). Italy is a destination I have always wanted to travel, and how could you not with all the culture present in the cities.

However, as I began to read this book I knew it wasn't going to be a finish for me. Why? Well, the writing just jumped straight into the plot withou
may ❀
Awww! This was a really cute summer read.

I loved the whole Italian experience accompanied with lots of Italian history, gelato, and young love. Perfect!

This story had it's ups and downs, I enjoyed the mystery part and I loved the character growth, I still feel giddy.

4 stars!
Heather 'Bookables'
Jun 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
3.5
Really enjoyed this book!
Mashup review featuring it coming soon!
The Girl Murdered by Her TBR
5-I-NEED-AN-ITALIAN-DUDE-RIGHT-NOW-STARS!!!

This book was successful in getting rid of my sucky reading slump. After a month of force reading various books, this book performed its magic and voila! Reading slump gone. I never thought that a super cute young-adult contemporary romance is what I really need. This was the first contemporary book I've read this year and I absolutely adored it. The plot, characters, and setting were captivating.

The setting of the story is in Italy. Oh gosh, Italy... I
Olivia (The Candid Cover)
4.5 Stars

Love and Gelato is the perfect book to enjoy this summer. Set in Italy, this book is absolutely breathtaking. The fact that there are old journal entries in the story makes it so much more incredible. Trust me, after reading this book, you’ll be craving some gelato!

Love and Gelato has such an interesting concept! This book tells the story of Lina, a girl who moves to Italy after her mom dies. When she gets there, she is given an old journal of her mom’s and learns many secrets about her
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This was pretty damn cute, you guys. All I want to do now is go to Italy and fall in love with some Nutella pastries. Insert gif of Emma Stone saying YUM here.
Inge
Mar 24, 2016 rated it liked it
To be honest, I was more interested in the gelato part than the love part, but it was still pretty cute.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/
Or mediocre book pics at: https://www.instagram.com/kellyandthe...

"You know, people come to Italy for all sorts of reasons, but when they stay, it's for the same two things."

"Love and gelato."

When 16-year old Lina’s mother passes away from pancreatic cancer, she is encouraged by her grandmother to spend the summer in Tuscany in order to get to know Howard – a father she never even knew existed. Lina would have never guessed sh
BookLover
This was a cute story about a girl finding a way to move on with life after losing her mother. Lina made a promise to her dying mother, finding herself in Italy with a father she had never met. Lina’s experience tugged at all the right strings for me.

What brought my overall enjoyment down, though, was the diary her mother left for her. Actually, that’s not true. The diary itself didn’t bother me, especially once the story came full circle. No, what drove me bananas was the way Lina chose to read
Karmen (readingoncloud9)
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*4.5 stars*

After finishing this book, (well also during reading it) I had major cravings for some gelato. It was super cute and mysterious. I couldn't put it down! Because of this book, I want to go to Italy even more now.
Fans of the young-adult genre will definitely enjoy Jenna Evans Welch's debut novel: Love & Gelato. It incorporates grief, family issues, age-appropriate romance, and the Italian culture. Overall, I liked it. The cultural components were my favorite parts. I also could very much appreciate the lengths the heroine went to in order to learn about her paternity – I was in the same boat at a point in my adolescence and her curious desperation felt very familiar. The only other thing I can say is ...more
Kate (GirlReading)
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Love & Gelato was a cute, quick, summer read and just what I needed for the plane journey, on which I read it from start to finish but unfortunately, despite this, I didn't fall in love with it.

I didn't really warm to
the characters or feel any strong connection towards them(other than Howard who was a sweetheart) and overall I just couldn't get past the incredibly short time period this book was set over, considering the amount of events that occurred. I've never been a fan of instalove and
Warda
Sep 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
[3.5]
Now I'm craving some authentic, Italian gelato and cute, Italian guy with it.
Joshua Gabriel (조수아)
Love & Gelato was the first contemporary novel I've read this year, and I absolutely enjoyed it. Although this book was marketed as a love story, I found the romance between Lina and Ren to be nearly insignificant next to the novel's overall premise: A girl desperately trying to cope with the sudden loss of her beloved (and frustratingly secretive) mother. In its totality, this book earned a spot in my favorites shelf because it entertainingly delineated the importance of love, honesty, and ...more
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
Sonia met my eyes in the mirror. “You know, people come to Italy for all sorts of reasons, but when they stay, it’s for the same two things.”
“What?”
“Love and gelato.”

I know I say this a lot, but seriously-What a pleasant surprise!! Seriously. There are few books that manage to surprise me, and it’s even rarer that I fall for a book set overseas. Don’t ask why and I won’t explain-Just know that there are really only two books that have successfully stolen my heart that take place outside of
Rachael ( RachaelRexds )
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a really cute & fun contemporary read and I'm glad I decided to pick it up at the library! :)
Anna Smith
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing

"Love and gelato."

Oh I loved this so much!! So cute and mysterious and I couldn't put it down. A perfect summer read!
Drew
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
“Maybe that was just part of the Italian experience. Come to Italy. Fall in love. Watch everything blow up in your face. You could probably read about it on travel websites.”

3 1/2 stars. I feel like Love & Gelato is the kind of book most people would say about "oh, that looks cute" and then never bother picking up. I was of the same mindset and almost didn't give it a try. I'm glad I did, because although this book was quite cliché and full of what you'd expect from a chick lit romance - h
Zoha
Apr 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of YA contemporary
Shelves: 2017
“You know, people come to Italy for all sorts of reasons, but when they sat, it's for the same two things."
"Love and gelato.”

description

▬♥Remember A&FK? An American girl living a Paris dream?? *Insert Italy in place of France plus a lot more drama minus Ettiene's level of cuteness* Yep. You got it right! Its Love & Gelato.

▬♥L&G is story about a girl, Lina (even her name rhymes with Anna) who went to Italy because of her mother's deathbed wish. It is a sweet story with lots of gelatos
Gus
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Esta reseña NO contiene spoilers.

*pukes rainbows*
Este es uno de esos libros ridículamente cursis que son el placer culposo de todo ser humano existente en el planeta tierra. Sí, es surrealista y más fantasioso que la propia fantasía pero OH GOD, QUE BIEN LA PASÉ LEYENDOLO.
SINOPSIS
Love & Gelato nos cuenta la historia de Lina, una adolescente que debe viajar a Italia luego de que su madre muriera y dejara eso como su último deseo. Estando allí, ella recibe el viejo diario de su mamá y descubre
Siena Mirabella
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.75! this book was so sugary sweet and young. bonus points for it taking place in tuscany :')
Sab
Jan 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
This is not something I usually do. I don't write reviews. But I really have to get something out of my chest: I am SO TIRED of American authors writing books about Italy/Italian people without even bothering to double-check what the hell they are talking about.
So the main character is Lina (really? Is it supposed to be a popular Italian name?). Her mother dies of cancer and she has to move to Italy to live with her estranged father. So she arrives to her father's house (that is in the middle of
Mackenzie Lane
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars!

If this book were a food, it'd be cotton candy. So stinkin' cute & sweet!!

I enjoyed our main character, Lina, and reading about her adventures in Italy with Howard and Ren so much! The parts that mentioned Lina's grief over her mother's recent death were well-written, and I found this sentence near the end of the book to be especially gut-wrenching in its relatability:

"My mom was gone. And I missed her so much I sometimes wondered how I was
breathing."

I mean, who hasn't felt this w
YA Buddy Readers'...: Love & Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch - Restarting June 2nd 2018 35 40 Jun 14, 2018 06:52AM
A Court of Books ...: Febraury BOTM 2 10 Feb 28, 2018 11:21AM
Febraury BOTM 1 8 Feb 28, 2018 01:30AM
Similar book recommendations? 2 52 Sep 21, 2017 12:32PM
Favorite Character? 6 36 Sep 07, 2017 04:11PM
Around the Year i...: Love & Gelato, by Jenna Evans Welch 2 37 Jul 30, 2017 07:30PM
  • The Land of 10,000 Madonnas
  • A Week of Mondays
  • Summer of Sloane
  • Diplomatic Immunity
  • Girl Against the Universe
Jenna Evans Welch was the kind of insatiable child reader who had no choice but to grow up to become a writer. She is the New York Times Bestselling author of LOVE & GELATO and the upcoming LOVE & LUCK. When she isn’t writing girl abroad stories, Jenna can be found chasing her children or making elaborate messes in the kitchen. She lives in Salt Lake City, Utah with her husband and two you ...more
More about Jenna Evans Welch

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
  • The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
"Love and gelato.”
84 likes
“You may be slow to warm up, but once you do, you light up the whole room” 63 likes