Start by marking “Love & Gelato” as Want to Read:
Love & Gelato

Love & Gelato

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  5,361 Ratings  ·  1,171 Reviews
“I made the wrong choice.”

Lina is spending the summer in Tuscany, but she isn’t in the mood for Italy’s famous sunshine and fairy-tale landscape. She’s only there because it was her mother’s dying wish that she get to know her father. But what kind of father isn’t around for sixteen years? All Lina wants to do is get back home.

But then she is given a journal that her mom h
Published May 3rd 2016 by Simon Pulse

Lola  Reviewer
‘‘You know, people come to Italy for all sorts of reasons, but when they stay, it’s for the same two things.’’
‘‘What?’’
‘‘Love and gelato.’’

WARNING: Love & Gelato may trigger a dizzying yearning for gelato. I repeat, Love & Gelato may trigger a dizzying yearning for gelato. Beware, readers!

3.5 stars. It may also make you crave to find love in Italy…

This contemporary novel is exactly what I needed after finishing a frightening thriller novel – Behind Closed Doors. It took my mind off n
Kasie West
Sep 02, 2016 Kasie West rated it it was amazing
Super cute. I loved it.
Bookables Heather
Jun 22, 2016 Bookables Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
3.5
Really enjoyed this book!
Mashup review featuring it coming soon!
Olivia (The Candid Cover)
4.5 Stars

Love and Gelato is the perfect book to enjoy this summer. Set in Italy, this book is absolutely breathtaking. The fact that there are old journal entries in the story makes it so much more incredible. Trust me, after reading this book, you’ll be craving some gelato!

Love and Gelato has such an interesting concept! This book tells the story of Lina, a girl who moves to Italy after her mom dies. When she gets there, she is given an old journal of her mom’s and learns many secrets about her
Karmen (readingoncloud9)
Jul 08, 2016 Karmen (readingoncloud9) rated it it was amazing
*4.5 stars*

After finishing this book, (well also during reading it) I had major cravings for some gelato. It was super cute and mysterious. I couldn't put it down! Because of this book, I want to go to Italy even more now.
Fans of the young-adult genre will definitely enjoy Jenna Evans Welch's debut novel: Love & Gelato. It incorporates grief, family issues, age-appropriate romance, and the Italian culture. Overall, I liked it. The cultural components were my favorite parts. I also could very much appreciate the lengths the heroine went to in order to learn about her paternity – I was in the same boat at a point in my adolescence and her curious desperation felt very familiar. The only other thing I can say is ...more
BookLover
This was a cute story about a girl finding a way to move on with life after losing her mother. Lina made a promise to her dying mother, finding herself in Italy with a father she had never met. Lina’s experience tugged at all the right strings for me.

What brought my overall enjoyment down, though, was the diary her mother left for her. Actually, that’s not true. The diary itself didn’t bother me, especially once the story came full circle. No, what drove me bananas was the way Lina chose to read
Rachael ( RachaelRexds )
Aug 09, 2016 Rachael ( RachaelRexds ) rated it really liked it
This was a really cute & fun contemporary read and I'm glad I decided to pick it up at the library! :)
Amber Robertson
DNF @ 10%

I will be displaying my emotions through Ron Swanson gifs.

Love and Gelato was a book I desperately wanted to love. I mean, the set up was perfect. Italy, love and gelato (which I've never actually had but it sounds good). Italy is a destination I have always wanted to travel, and how could you not with all the culture present in the cities.

However, as I began to read this book I knew it wasn't going to be a finish for me. Why? Well, the writing just jumped straight into the plot withou
Inge
Jun 03, 2016 Inge rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
To be honest, I was more interested in the gelato part than the love part, but it was still pretty cute.
Anna Smith
Jun 12, 2016 Anna Smith rated it it was amazing
"You know, people come to Italy for all sorts of reasons, but when they stay, it's for the same two things."

"What?"

"Love and gelato."

Oh I loved this so much!! So cute and mysterious and I couldn't put it down. A perfect summer read!
Drew (Drew’s Cup of Tea)
“Maybe that was just part of the Italian experience. Come to Italy. Fall in love. Watch everything blow up in your face. You could probably read about it on travel websites.”

3 1/2 stars. I feel like Love & Gelato is the kind of book most people would say about "oh, that looks cute" and then never bother picking up. I was of the same mindset and almost didn't give it a try. I'm glad I did, because although this book was quite cliché and full of what you'd expect from a chick lit romance - h
Joshua Gabriel (Forever Bookish Josh)
Love & Gelato was the first contemporary novel I've read this year, and I absolutely enjoyed it. Although this book was marketed as a love story, I found the romance between Lina and Ren to be nearly insignificant next to the novel's overall premise: A girl desperately trying to cope with the sudden loss of her beloved (and frustratingly secretive) mother. In its totality, this book earned a spot in my favorites shelf because it entertainingly delineated the importance of love, honesty, and ...more
Monica
Jul 16, 2016 Monica rated it liked it
I thought the author handled grief really well, and the story and characters were interesting. I wanted to feel a bit more of the Italian atmosphere, but otherwise it was exactly what I wanted: light and summery with splashes of humor and emotion.
Jeanette
Aug 05, 2016 Jeanette rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-favorites, owned
4.5/5 stars
Theresa
Jul 20, 2016 Theresa rated it liked it
I thought this book was ok. It was very cute and an easy summer read. The characters were alright but I had a few issues with Lina's rationale and decision making ability. The narrative is first person, and used the word "like" a lot. I think it was to make it sound more teenager-ish but it got very annoying vey fast. It was a bit Insta lovey for me, the whole beginning and the characters meeting and forming a relationship felt very rushed. All in all a short, easy summer read.
Chinouk Thijssen
Oct 30, 2016 Chinouk Thijssen rated it really liked it
Wat een lief en mooi boek is dit! Erg van genoten.
In deze video leg ik uit wat ik verder van dit boek vond: https://youtu.be/4i0U5vO4Rsg
Ayla
Aug 16, 2016 Ayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wauw!! Echt een heel mooi boek!
Marieke
Aug 07, 2016 Marieke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
En... toen was dit mooie boek uit. Wow, wat heb ik ontzettend genoten van dit boek! Het boek draait om een erg emotionele gebeurtenis, namelijk het overlijden van de moeder van Lina. Maar Jenna Evans Welch heeft dit boek zo knap geschreven! Ik had vaak helemaal niet het idee dat het onderwerp zo zwaar was.

De karakters is dit boek zijn super! Lina vond ik vooral erg leuk. Zij maakte me ook weer enthousiast over hardlopen^^ En die omgeving waar het boek zich afspeelt.... Volgende vakantie wil ik
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Apr 12, 2016 Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) rated it really liked it
There is something to say about an author that can capture of the emotions of loss and love. Of despair, heartache and of hope and life that just appeals and calls to me.

When I saw Love & Gelato I just knew that I needed to open it up and see what it had to offer.

With a main character that is almost quiet in her grief and a supporting parental role that almost stole the whole show, this was set in a time and place that was every bit as appealing as the storyline.

With a few slow parts that we
Shannon
Aug 09, 2016 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
This book is so lovely and cute. The subject of this book is really heavy but you don't notice it at all, which I think is a good thing. I really liked Lina and Ren, it was so nice from him to offer her help. The setting was nice as well, I really want to go to Italy now. Anyways, I really recommend this book!
Brooke
Jul 24, 2016 Brooke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-club, 2016-reads
This may just take my number one spot this year. It was so adorably cute and heartfelt. Italy is somewhere I've always wanted to visit, now it's a must!
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this in exchange for an honest review.

This was really cute and clever and while I was completely enthralled by the story, I also felt like there was something missing. I think it's because Lina makes all these decisions before she gets to the end of the story and it doesn't really make sense to me. I feel like once she got an idea she just jumped on it rather than think things through and IDK FINISH THE JOURNAL.

I understand that the two stories needed to int
nick
May 06, 2016 nick rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc

Ahhh Love & Gelato! I had such high hopes for you! When I went into this book, I was expecting to be entirely swept away by the Tuscany setting and a swoony romance. The setting itself was beautifully written here. I felt myself being transported to Italy, wanting to eat gelato alongside the protagonist, Lina. However, I really struggled with the romance and the characters in this book. I didn’t feel like they were as well-fleshed out as they could have been. Lina, herself, while a protagoni
Vivian
Oct 21, 2016 Vivian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5 sterren. Leuk boek, lekker vlot en zomers en fijn om te lezen, met een romantisch, grappig en luchtig verhaal. Niet heel bijzonder, maar een fijn boek om mee te ontspannen. Uitgebreide recensie: http://thebookreview.nl/recensies/con...
Anastasia Antonova
Прекрасная книжечка на один вечер. Приятно провела время и подняла себе настроение. Долой осенний депресняк!

Итоговая оценка: 9 из 10
Dayle
Jun 10, 2016 Dayle rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Rating: / 3 sweet stars.

Review: Love & Gelato was a sweet and quick read. Perfect for a leisurely Summer day. It's the type of book that doesn't make you think too hard or require a lot of imagination, and sometimes that's a good thing. Every now and again you need something sweet and easy, and that's where Love & Gelato is the perfect read.

The overall story arc isn't very hard to deduce. Even still, I won't spoil it for you. The setting of Tuscany and Florence was beautifully described
~ Odette Knappers
Aug 22, 2016 ~ Odette Knappers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-fictie
This is one of the best contemporary books I've read.

What I don't like about it: I'm lactose intollerant and will never be able to taste gelato.

What I love about it: everything else.

This is a fluffy book, but with a heavy subject. And it is done wonderfully.

Also, I love that this book is about love, but like real love not I-like-you-love. This book shows us some relationshipgoals (in feels, not in handling things :P).

And there are so many funny sentences! How she can be a representative for Kle
Eva Wildeman
Aug 09, 2016 Eva Wildeman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1 van de dingen op mijn bucketlist is om een vakantiehuisje in Italië te hebben, en naar dit boek weet ik het zeker!
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Nov 15, 2016 Chelsea (chelseadolling reads) rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This was pretty damn cute, you guys. All I want to do now is go to Italy and fall in love with some Nutella pastries. Insert gif of Emma Stone saying YUM here.
Young Adult Conte...: #42 Love & Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch 22 19 Oct 26, 2016 04:23PM
Around the Year i...: Love & Gelato, by Jenna Evans Welch 1 11 Jun 28, 2016 07:28AM
  • The Land of 10,000 Madonnas
  • A Week of Mondays
  • Summer of Sloane
  • Diplomatic Immunity
  • Girl Against the Universe
Jenna Evans Welch spent her high school years in Florence, Italy, where she drove a scooter, danced in fountains, and ate entirely too much gelato. She now lives in Salt Lake City, Utah, with her husband and young son. Read her blog, The Green Lemon, at JennaEvansWelch.com.
More about Jenna Evans Welch...

“You may be slow to warm up, but once you do, you light up the whole room” 22 likes
“You know, people come to Italy for all sorts of reasons, but when they sat, it's for the same two things."
"What?"