Start by marking “Love & Gelato” as Want to Read:
Love & Gelato

Love & Gelato

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  31,926 ratings  ·  5,600 reviews
“I made the wrong choice.”

Lina is spending the summer in Tuscany, but she isn’t in the mood for Italy’s famous sunshine and fairy-tale landscape. She’s only there because it was her mother’s dying wish that she get to know her father. But what kind of father isn’t around for sixteen years? All Lina wants to do is get back home.

But then she is given a journal that her mom h
Published May 3rd 2016 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Love & Gelato, please sign up.
Brenda Yes, it absolutely is. Jenna Evans Welch comes from a strong Christian background, so there's lots of wholesomeness here, but she doesn't bring…moreYes, it absolutely is. Jenna Evans Welch comes from a strong Christian background, so there's lots of wholesomeness here, but she doesn't bring religion into the story. There is no moral preachiness to be found. It is just simply clean, wistful fun. (less)

·  31,926 ratings  ·  5,600 reviews

Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, contemporary
This was super cute and really interesting!
More thoughts and possibly a BiblioBabble to come!
Lola
‘‘You know, people come to Italy for all sorts of reasons, but when they stay, it’s for the same two things.’’
‘‘What?’’
‘‘Love and gelato.’’

WARNING: Love & Gelato may trigger a dizzying yearning for gelato. I repeat, Love & Gelato may trigger a dizzying yearning for gelato. Beware, readers!

3.5 stars. It may also make you crave to find love in Italy…

This contemporary novel is exactly what I needed after finishing a frightening thriller novel – Behind Closed Doors. It took my mind off n
☆High Lady of The Night Court☆
“What?”
“Love and gelato.”

The story narrated in this book is one of friendship, family, and first love. The characters enhanced the concept at the core of this book and the dynamic between each of them was written very well.

Lina, after facing the trauma of losing her mother, flies to Italy for the summer in order to fulfill her mother’s last wish. Her mother also seemed to arrange for he
Kasie West
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Super cute. I loved it.
jessica
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
sugar and spice and everything nice - that is what this book is made of. and now i have a toothache from the sticky sweetness of this story, which is exactly what you would expect from a title like ‘love and gelato.’

this book checked so many boxes for me, i dont even know where to begin. so let me share my list:

- coming of age story (loved the connection between lina and her mothers journal). check.
- set abroad (ughh. how romantic is italy!? sigh). check.
- swoon-worthy crush (pls marry me, re
Cait • A Page with a View
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary-ya
This might be the cutest book I've ever read. The entire thing was just so hopeful and HAPPY (even when the topic might not have been). The Italian scenery was gorgeous, the food was amazing, and all of the characters were so precious. I wish I could go back and read it all over again... or just go to Florence this summer myself. If you're looking for a good YA contemporary (or just a lovely book in general) I definitely recommend this one!!
Larry H
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"You know, people come to Italy for all sorts of reasons, but when they stay, it's for the same two things...love and gelato."

Lina is only in Italy because of a promise she made to her mother on her deathbed.

She isn't moved by the country's beauty—she's having too difficult a time dealing with the fact that she's going to be living WITH HER FATHER (about whom she never knew anything), much less living in a house in the midst of a famous cemetery, because he is the caretaker.

Why didn't her mother
megs_bookrack
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just died.

RIP Me.

This super cute YA-Contemporary was everything I was looking for and more.

Funny, witty, romantic and delicious, I loved every moment of experiencing Italy with Lena.

The 'found family' elements were extremely well done and I appreciated the love and friendships in this so much.
My only disappointment is that I waited so long to read it!

Original: The 'Unread Shelf Project' continues in 2019!!!!

I bought this book well over a year ago - time to pick it up. I need a nice warm &
Maureen
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
BTAT 2017 book #2

Possibly even a 4.5/5 stars

THIS. WAS. SO. CUTE.
The plot? Adorable and intriguing. The characters? Pretty great. The setting? INCREDIBLE. So much good stuff in this BOOK!
I loved the twists and the turns of the plot as well as the added element of Lina's mom's journal. And a book set in Italy just.....so good. So so good.
If you enjoy contemporary romances you'll for sure enjoy this book.
celine (celinereads)
hi can i give this book 10/5 stars because THIS BOOK IS FANTASTIC. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND. i LOVE THE CHARACTERS AND STORY AND THE COVER AND EVERYTHING. ok. also, love & gelato is an extremely easy and quick read that's addicting and amazing and i'm in love!!
ambsreads
DNF @ 10%

I will be displaying my emotions through Ron Swanson gifs.

Love and Gelato was a book I desperately wanted to love. I mean, the set up was perfect. Italy, love and gelato (which I've never actually had but it sounds good). Italy is a destination I have always wanted to travel, and how could you not with all the culture present in the cities.

However, as I began to read this book I knew it wasn't going to be a finish for me. Why? Well, the writing just jumped straight into the plot withou
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Super Sweet 💕🦄

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐺🐾
The Girl Murdered by Her TBR
5-I-NEED-AN-ITALIAN-DUDE-RIGHT-NOW-STARS!!!

This book was successful in getting rid of my sucky reading slump. After a month of force reading various books, this book performed its magic and voila! Reading slump gone. I never thought that a super cute young-adult contemporary romance is what I really need. This was the first contemporary book I've read this year and I absolutely adored it. The plot, characters, and setting were captivating.

The setting of the story is in Italy. Oh gosh, Italy... I
may ❀
Awww! This was a really cute summer read.

I loved the whole Italian experience accompanied with lots of Italian history, gelato, and young love. Perfect!

This story had it's ups and downs, I enjoyed the mystery part and I loved the character growth, I still feel giddy.

4 stars!
Heather
Jun 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-contemporary
3.5
Really enjoyed this book!
Mashup review featuring it coming soon!
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was pretty damn cute, you guys. All I want to do now is go to Italy and fall in love with some Nutella pastries. Insert gif of Emma Stone saying YUM here.
Elyse Walters
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
This is another one of those ‘cutie-sweetie’ type books with a memorable book cover....
one I’ve seen mentioned for years with warm-hearted reviews.
So....
I grabbed a freebie library - overdrive ebook copy.
Quick enjoyable read.
Young Adult Coming-of-Age....
A taste of Italy ... Florence Rome...Tuscany...pizza ... gelato...
...a little historical mystery
...family feelings of displacement and confusion...to one of understanding...
military cemetery twist plot
...Readers immediately feel connection to
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
4.5 Stars

Love and Gelato is the perfect book to enjoy this summer. Set in Italy, this book is absolutely breathtaking. The fact that there are old journal entries in the story makes it so much more incredible. Trust me, after reading this book, you’ll be craving some gelato!

Love and Gelato has such an interesting concept! This book tells the story of Lina, a girl who moves to Italy after her mom dies. When she gets there, she is given an old journal of her mom’s and learns many secrets about her
Inge
Mar 24, 2016 rated it liked it
To be honest, I was more interested in the gelato part than the love part, but it was still pretty cute.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/
Or mediocre book pics at: https://www.instagram.com/kellyandthe...

"You know, people come to Italy for all sorts of reasons, but when they stay, it's for the same two things."

"What?"

"Love and gelato."

When 16-year old Lina’s mother passes away from pancreatic cancer, she is encouraged by her grandmother to spend the summer in Tuscany in order to get to know Howard – a father she never even knew existed. Lina would have never guessed sh
Merphy Napier
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I was shocked at how much I loved this. Being able to explore Italy with the characters had me wanting to hope on a plane and explore it myself, getting to know our MC's mom through her old journal had me hooked from the start to the end, and the true love story of this novel was what we learned in that journal. I finished this book days ago and I still miss it so much. It was simply amazing. The only reason it didn't get five stars is because the romance with our MC was pretty cheesy a
BookLover
This was a cute story about a girl finding a way to move on with life after losing her mother. Lina made a promise to her dying mother, finding herself in Italy with a father she had never met. Lina’s experience tugged at all the right strings for me.

What brought my overall enjoyment down, though, was the diary her mother left for her. Actually, that’s not true. The diary itself didn’t bother me, especially once the story came full circle. No, what drove me bananas was the way Lina chose to read
Azrah
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I did not expect to like this book as much as I did. It was funny and cute but also moving and devastatingly sad at times.

It was amazing to learn so much about Italy and Florence, it felt like I was there with Lina and Ren. I really really want to go to Italy now!

I don't usually read books like this where the protagonist goes on a journey of self discovery or whatever, but this book lifted my heart. I loved the writing style, and I'm looking forward to any future works by Jenna Evans Welch.
___
Eryn
3.75 / 5

Ya’ll. This book got me out of my reading slump. I’m super thankful for those of you who recommended it!

Also, I think it’s official: I like Romance novels. Well. Not straight-up Romance, but books like Love and Gelato where it’s contemporary mixed-in with humor, reliable characters, and an adorable romance — count me in (and recommend me more books, haha). I’m not ashamed to say that! These books are addictive.

As someone who travels to Europe for 2-3 months every year, I enjoyed Jenn
Warda
Sep 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
[3.5]
Now I'm craving some authentic, Italian gelato and cute, Italian guy with it.
Fans of the young-adult genre will definitely enjoy Jenna Evans Welch's debut novel: Love & Gelato. It incorporates grief, family issues, age-appropriate romance, and the Italian culture. Overall, I liked it. The cultural components were my favorite parts. I also could very much appreciate the lengths the heroine went to in order to learn about her paternity – I was in the same boat at a point in my adolescence and her curious desperation felt very familiar. The only other thing I can say is ...more
Kate (GirlReading)
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Love & Gelato was a cute, quick, summer read and just what I needed for the plane journey, on which I read it from start to finish but unfortunately, despite this, I didn't fall in love with it.

I didn't really warm to
the characters or feel any strong connection towards them(other than Howard who was a sweetheart) and overall I just couldn't get past the incredibly short time period this book was set over, considering the amount of events that occurred. I've never been a fan of instalove and
Karmen (readingoncloud9)
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*4.5 stars*

After finishing this book, (well also during reading it) I had major cravings for some gelato. It was super cute and mysterious. I couldn't put it down! Because of this book, I want to go to Italy even more now.
Sab
Jan 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
This is not something I usually do. I don't write reviews. But I really have to get something out of my chest: I am SO TIRED of American authors writing books about Italy/Italian people without even bothering to double-check what the hell they are talking about.
So the main character is Lina (really? Is it supposed to be a popular Italian name?). Her mother dies of cancer and she has to move to Italy to live with her estranged father. So she arrives to her father's house (that is in the middle of
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
Sonia met my eyes in the mirror. “You know, people come to Italy for all sorts of reasons, but when they stay, it’s for the same two things.”
“What?”
“Love and gelato.”

I know I say this a lot, but seriously-What a pleasant surprise!! Seriously. There are few books that manage to surprise me, and it’s even rarer that I fall for a book set overseas. Don’t ask why and I won’t explain-Just know that there are really only two books that have successfully stolen my heart that take place outside of
Favorite Character? 9 54 Apr 16, 2019 09:27PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Love & Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch - Restarting April 11th 2019 48 95 Mar 19, 2019 04:31AM
Why Gelato is Good For You 1 5 Aug 18, 2018 07:22AM
Healthy and Delicious Sugar Free Gelato 1 2 Aug 18, 2018 07:09AM
How to Tell Good Gelato From Bad Gelato 1 3 Aug 18, 2018 06:22AM
Fanatieke Nederla...: Extra maandboek augustus: Love & Gelato 4 22 Aug 03, 2018 06:08AM
A Court of Books ...: Febraury BOTM 2 11 Feb 28, 2018 11:21AM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Wanderlost
  • Wish You Were Italian (If Only . . ., #2)
  • And for Your Information… (Butterfly, #2)
  • Stay Sweet
  • Running Barefoot
  • The Way You Make Me Feel
  • Only Love Can Break Your Heart
  • Starry Eyes
  • Trouble Makes a Comeback (Trouble, #2)
  • One Paris Summer
  • Power Up
Jenna Evans Welch was the kind of insatiable child reader who had no choice but to grow up to become a writer. She is the New York Times Bestselling author of LOVE & GELATO and the upcoming LOVE & LUCK. When she isn’t writing girl abroad stories, Jenna can be found chasing her children or making elaborate messes in the kitchen. She lives in Salt Lake City, Utah with her husband and two you ...more
“You know, people come to Italy for all sorts of reasons, but when they sat, it's for the same two things."
"What?"
"Love and gelato.”
108 likes
“Turns out there's a reason they call it falling in love, because when it happens - really happens - that's exactly how it feels. There's no doing or trying, you just let go and hope that someone's going to be there to catch you.” 76 likes