Start by marking “Stein und Amboss (Star Trek: New Frontier, #13)” as Want to Read:
Stein und Amboss (Star Trek: New Frontier, #13)

Stein und Amboss

(Star Trek: New Frontier #14)

Captain MacKenzie Calhoun war nie für die Sternenflotte bestimmt. Vor zwanzig Jahren ... Mit 19 Jahren bereits ein abgehärteter Killer, ein geborener Anführer: ein eigenwilliges, jugendliches Aushängeschild der Revolte, die seinen Heimatplaneten vor der außerirdischen Dominierung befreien sollte. Aber was tun, wenn sein einziges Ziel - die Herrschaft der Danteri zu stürzen ...more
Paperback, deutsche Erstausgabe, 380 pages
Published June 22nd 2015 by CrossCult (first published October 28th 2003)

Start your review of Stein und Amboss (Star Trek: New Frontier, #13)
Jack Vasen
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's all about the dialog.
Even more than most Star Trek books, Peter David's books have ridiculous plots. Calhoun's superior is a clown character and lets him do whatever he wants while meekly protesting. What makes David's books fun is that he doesn't care and Calhoun does the ridiculous things anyway and they are usually entertaining.
In this book, we get to learn much of the history behind Shelby and Calhoun, mostly at the Academy. The Academy story also merges neatly into the current timeline
Voula
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book! OK, it's Star Trek and with that alone, it's a huge leg up for me... however, I still really liked the book. I liked the characters, not all of whom I was previously acquainted and the story was intriguing. Jumping between then and now, added another interesting layer to get some insights into what was going on. I'd like to read more about the characters in this story.
Daniel
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
"Stone and Anvil" is the 14th book in the series at this point. If you've read the first 13 + the short story anthology + "Once Burned" from the Captain's table series + a couple other books (Double Helix and Gateways), you're pretty invested in these characters and there's little I can say to sway you to choose to read this book or not. Your experience will guide you. That being said, "Stone and Anvil" is as much a stand-alone novel as any of the New Frontier Novels I've read up to this point. ...more
Rob Cook
Better than the previous novel, this book is in essence two stories in one very loosely connected. Each story would have benefited from their own volume to flesh them out further, but instead the book jumps from the present (a murder mystery) to Calhoun and Shelby's adventures at the academy.
I found the payoff rather abrupt and once again threads have been left dangling, no doubt for the next book.
Very late on in this book there was a rare spelling mistake 'sercurity' and Calhoun starts talking
Irredeemable Shag
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Really enjoyed this book!! Been re-reading all the NEW FRONTIER series, and after a couple of mediocre books, this is a return to greatness! The dual time perspective helped keep my interest, and discovering Calhoun’s past was engaging. Recommended for NEW FRONTIER fans!
Anna
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Peter David writes good Star Trek. This is no exception. I didn't know these characters very well, and yet it wasn't necessary to be super familiar with these crews in order to enjoy the story. Though, it did make me want to go back and pick up the previous books.
Ceremony
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
especially last sentence in the book - made me happy and sad at the same time - really liked this one
Chris
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The past parts were more interesting than the current story. Wished TNG did not get involved to solve the final problem
Rob
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book and really liked the return of Captain Picard, This has been an Excellent series, and this book is a Good Read.
Sean Randall
May 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"In any case, Dr. Bethom was quite explicit that he had no desire
to communicate with you until a particular change in climate at an indeterminate
point in the future."
"Let me guess: When Hell freezes over."
"That was it!"

The repartee is brilliant. The narrative, superb. And whilst we can argue that the setting of the story itself is simply a backdrop for a recitation of things gone by, what a recitation it was...

"No one's dying, I hope?"
"no, but I haven't gotten there yet."

We see "one-punch Calh
David Palazzolo
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
reherrma
Nach längerer Zeit ist David mit diesem Roman wieder ein sehr guter ST-New Frontier-Roman gelungen. Die Handlung setzt unmittelbar nach dem letzten ST-New Frontier-Roman "Mehr als Götter" an, das Mannschaftsmitglied der EXCALIBUR Janos soll den Selevianer Gleau bestialisch getötet haben, die Regierung der Selevianer verlangen von der Förderation daraufhin die Übergabe des vermeintlichen Mörders um ihn umgehend hinzurichten, seltsamerweise geht die Förderation ohne Widerstand auf diese Forderung ...more
Kristen
Oct 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, sci-fi, star-trek
I love Peter David. He's always been one of my favorite Trek authors, and this book, the first I've actually read in the New Frontier series, continues to showcase all the things I like about his stories and writing style. It actually made me want to read the rest of the NF series, so I got the first 4 in a bundle edition for Kindle. Yay.

I like how he created a new character and still heavily drew on other official but minor characters from the Star Trek canon. I think that was especially well
***Dave Hill
May 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans; Peter David fans; mugatu fans
Shelves: text
This is, to my mind, one of the best of the "Star Trek: New Frontier" novels. Split into two narratives, it provides us on the one hand with Mackenzie Calhoun's Star Fleet Academy career, and his (first) relationship with Elizabeth Shelby. Intermingled, it also gives us a modern murder mystery, exposing not one but two conspiracies against the Federation, and the death of yet another of the STNF cast.

There's some great emotion here, of all sorts, mixed with David's trademark witty banter and occ
Mark
Nov 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, x-nook
Ensign Janos is the prime suspect in the murder of an officer aboard the U.S.S. Trident. The investigation stirs up old memories for Captains Elizabeth Shelby and MacKenzie Calhoun. Of course, there’s also another pesky threat to the Federation and a sad goodbye.

Peter David is one of the most prolific and consistently entertaining Star Trek writers. Some Trekkies may find fault with his occasionally irreverant view of the Trek universe. I like his stuff.

Stone and Anvil was published simultaneous
Paul Graham
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The narrator starts out with what I will call the 'Jar Jar Binks' factor... a way of speaking the character's lines that is absolutely annoying. Despite the JJB Factor, I listened to the entire audio book because of the very interesting story line. The audio book is worth listening to just for the riveting and innovative re-thinking of the Kobayashi Maru test given to Star Fleet candidates. The results are philosophically sophisticated... worthy of serious discussion beyond the Science Fiction t ...more
Robert
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easily the best of the ST:New Frontier series.

The "Then" portions fill in the backstory of Capt. Calhoun in fine fashion, and his solution to the Kobayashi Maru is the best since Kirk. Which makes sense, as I often describe him as the Kirk of The Next Generation, though harsher. Calhoun's a fighter, not a lover. (Substitute literal swordplay for Kirk's figurative version.)

The "Now" portions involve a conflict between loyalty to one's crew and to the larger needs of the Federation, and are simply
Shane Amazon
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am always amazed at Peter David's ability to make the reader laugh out loud and in his recent installment Stone and Anvil he has done it again. The storyline, as always, is well told and fun. The pace is quick and the characters are a blast. Only complaint is the lack of military demeanor. The characters are both wild in their actions and in their speech, which can give the reader a sense of being in a high school rather than a military arm of the Federation. But all-in-all a very fun read tha ...more
Andy Luke
The built A-plot concerning Gleau and M'Ress felt thrown aside quickly and for much of the book in favour of an A-plot about Calhoun and Shelby. While connected, it wasn't until the second half of the book were it became relevant and transcended slow. So below average for that Trek author. On the other hand, it has some of David's funniest phrasings and lovely lyrical descriptions that really wooed me. Some great cosy short scenes.
Dan Foster
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like Peter David's take on Trek, and the New Frontier books in general, this one is for you. Lots of good background on the Calhoun/Shelby relationship, the in-jokes you would expect, and snappy dialog which is probably out of place on a 24th century starship but fun to read. If you DON'T like Peter David's Trek, you may want to skip this one too.
Benjamin Plume
I enjoyed this one, although with less fervor than the previous few New Frontier novels. An interesting story in the "current" timeline but the Academy backstory lacked much of interest, for me anyway.
omiczech
This one was a bit boring. Even though I usually really like the Academy, the THEN story felt just like a filling. The NOW story was continuing from two previous books, so it also felt unnecessarily stretched.
Shannon Appelcline
One of the best in the series, thanks in part to the tense main story, but also thanks to the great look at Shelby and Calhoun's past.
Apostolos
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this Mackenzie Calhoun character. if only more of these were in audiobook format.
Loki
Very enjoyable conclusion to this mini-arc of the ongoing series. Builds on what has gone before while revealing new things about the past and never, ever, becoming predictable.
Frank Noonan
May 12, 2020
Simon Bucher-Jones
Jan 28, 2015

• Architects of Infinity
  • The Valiant (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • I, Q
  • Available Light
  • Star Trek: The Brave and the Bold, Book 2
  • Oblivion (Star Trek: Stargazer, #4)
  • Star Trek: The Brave and the Bold, Book 1
  • Three (Star Trek: Stargazer, #3)
  • Enigma (Star Trek: Stargazer, #5)
  • Reunion (Star Trek Next Generation )
  • Azyl Academy (Elemental Gatherers, #1)
  • Gauntlet
  • The Missing Mage (Stoneblood Saga #2)
  • Soron's Quest (Stoneblood Saga #0.5)
  • Manhattan Unfurled
  • Son of Soron (Stoneblood Saga #1)
  • Siege of Pailtar (Stoneblood Saga #3)
  • A New Leash on Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #1)
aka David Peters

Peter Allen David (often abbreviated PAD) is an American writer, best known for his work in comic books and Star Trek novels. David often jokingly describes his occupation as "Writer of Stuff". David is noted for his prolific writing, characterized by its mingling of real world issues with humor and references to popular culture. He also uses metafiction frequently, usually to hum

Star Trek: New Frontier (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • House of Cards (Star Trek: New Frontier, #1)
  • Into the Void (Star Trek: New Frontier, #2)
  • The Two-Front War (Star Trek: New Frontier, #3)
  • End Game (Star Trek: New Frontier, #4)
  • Martyr (Star Trek: New Frontier, #5)
  • Fire on High (Star Trek: New Frontier, #6)
  • The Quiet Place (Star Trek: New Frontier, #7)
  • Dark Allies (Star Trek: New Frontier, #8)
  • Double or Nothing (Star Trek: Double Helix, #5)
  • Requiem (Star Trek: New Frontier, #9)