Start by marking “Der Aufstieg und Fall des Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek - Die Eugenischen Kriege, #1)” as Want to Read:

Der Aufstieg und Fall des Khan Noonien Singh

(Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars #1)

Selbst Jahrhunderte später werden die letzten Jahrzehnte des zwanzigsten Jahrhunderts – von denen, die die Wahrheit kennen – immer noch als das dunkelste und gefährlichste Kapitel der Menschheitsgeschichte betrachtet. Es gibt noch viele offene Fragen über die schrecklichen Eugenischen Kriege, die während der 1990er auf der Erde tobten. Es war ein apokalyptischer Konflikt, ...more
Paperback, deutsche Erstausgabe, 600 pages
Published May 25th 2015 by CrossCult, Ludwigsburg (first published July 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Der Aufstieg und Fall des Khan Noonien Singh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Der Aufstieg und Fall des Khan Noonien Singh

Start your review of Der Aufstieg und Fall des Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek - Die Eugenischen Kriege, #1)
Elen
Nov 01, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have absolutely no idea why this makes so many lists of "the best Star Trek books" because frankly it's just awful. The main characters in the flashback are honestly really boring and the author's need to insert pop culture references into every damn scene just make it feel hackneyed as hell. NEW COKE! LEGWARMERS! SONY WALKMAN! HAS IT SET IN THAT IT'S 1986 YET? Like gimme a break. Also the weird political choices the author makes are absolutely absurd? Like Khan makes a lot of excellent points ...more
Mara
This book is little more than a vehicle for Greg Cox to demonstrate his knowledge of political and cultural history of the late 20th century, as well as his knowledge of the Star Trek universe. Khan and Gary Seven (with faithful sidekicks Roberta and Isis) tromp through world history a la Forrest Gump except with an agenda. Allegedly, their agenda is the same, to help humanity survive into the 21st century, although Khan already shows signs of being the anti-hero we know from episode and movie. ...more
Jerry
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Good: Greg Cox spins a wonderful yarn here; it takes place mostly in the past, but there are some future scenes as well. It paints a vivid picture of the late twentieth century and illustrates the fact that our present affects our future. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel whenever I can get my hands on it.

The Bad: As usual for Star Trek novels, the main content concern is profanity. Also, some of the violence is a bit brutal, particularly when a kid bites a grown woman in the arm.
Tarl
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, spy
This book is essentially two stories in one. One is of Kirk and the Enterprise going to check out a planet full of genetically modified humans, while the other is the history of Khan, as told by Gary Seven. (don't know who that is? He was a James Bond/Dr Who character from the original TV series) While doing this novel in this nested story style is interesting, it also creates a number of issues.

The parts told from Kirk's point of view are all interesting and engaging. Cox does a wonderful job p
David
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, that title is a mouthful…

In the Original Series episode “Space Seed,” Star Trek introduced us to Khan, a ruthless genetically advanced conqueror of over a quarter of the earth back in the 1990s (Funny…I don’t remember that, and I lived through the 90’s…). He was later brought back in the strongest of the Star Trek films, Star Trek 2: the Wrath of Khan, to wreak havoc and avenge himself on Captain Kirk.
This book is about the rise of that villain…well, sort of.

First we have to be reintroduced
Jenny T
A fantastic blend of real historical events with Star Trek canon -- most of the book feels like a spy adventure in the 1970s, featuring Gary Seven, his assistant Roberta, and their super-intelligent alien cat Isis, as they investigate and take down a lab breeding dangerous mutant bacteria... and genetically altered super-children (including the 4-year old who would one day be Khan Noonien Singh)

The book dragged a bit in the 1980s with all the Soviet intrigue, but by the end Khan comes into his o
Clay Davis
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good. It helped to fill in blanks in Khan's past.
Laura Peters
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My husband has been trying to get me to read this book for years.

Finally, I succumbed. I finished it in two days. That's not unusual for me, but the particular days I was reading this were busy ones. I couldn't put the book down.

I've been a Star Trek fan since the very early seventies. When I was a child, I used to creep out into the living room late Saturday night, turn the volume on the TV WAY DOWN LOW before I switched it on, and try to watch the three episodes of Star Trek on our local PBS s
Bill
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rather enjoyed this and loved seeing Gary Seven and Roberta again. I was, strangely enough, possibly more fascinated by learning of Khan's Sikh background. I am curious how he became the clean shaven superman in the future.

I will just have to read more.
Sud666
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Star Trek II: The Wrath of khan was always my favorite of the old Star Trek movies. When I saw this trilogy detailing the Eugenics Wars and the story of Khan Noonien Singh, I was excited to pick it up.

It is a strange story in that the typical cast (Kirk, Spock, etc) make up less than 2% of the story. The story begins in 1974. The Chrysalis project is looking to create genetically enhanced humans. Gary Seven, alien raised human from the future, and his sidekick Roberta seek to undermine this proj
Amelia Nichole Defield
Not just a great Star Trek book, but also a great scifi book. Weaving in moments of history to create a compelling story.
Penner
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Donald Kirch
Apr 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always considered "Star Trek" to be one of my guilty pleasures. This book really got to me, on many levels. I had always been curious as to Kahn's past. This book answers those questions. This character was, without a doubt, the best "bad guy" Kirk had ever faced.

As a pleasant surprise, the author does great tribute to the characters and the actors who played them. Gary Seven, who was played by Robert Lansing in the series, gets an "Equalizer" nod when a certain "friend" named "McCall" is
Mrklingon
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"It's all true!" Those words from Galaxy Quest fit for this stellar exercise in retconning!

I'd read this book when it came out, and recently got Kindle editions of the whole trilogy - it's a fun read. Carefully weaving 40+ years of Trek - and REAL - history into a narrative that explains how we didn't notice the "Eugenics War" and the rise (and fall) of Khan. Oh, and there's a story woven through with Kirk, Spock, McCoy, et al facing a new planet of genetic supermen.

On to the next volume!
Matthew Chambers
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: awesome
It's easy to be warey of delving into another universe, or to explore the expanse of a universe you thought you were already familiar with, but there comes a time when curiosity gets the better of even the most seasoned devotee. To think that more of a particular universe exists beyond that which we already known can be a gauling prospect. Especially when the general concensus is that, the expanded areas of that universe are generally a bit crap.
That was my earliest reservation about the Star T
Steve
I found this difficult to put down, in part due to the inclusion of three of the more interesting characters from one of the episodes of the TV show, managing to show some of the back story to one of the most interesting villains ever to grace the TV show and movies. The outer story seemed rather contrived, and the plot twist in the outer story seemed forced, but I am looking forward to the second book in the series.
Karl Schaeffer
Oct 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book. Star Trek always alluded to the eugenics wars as happening before the formation of the federation. This book is a well put together scenario of present day thru the eugenics war into the federation. Very plausible.
Chris Leib
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly ingenius way of tying up one of the more interesting an exciting era of the original Star Trek. Cox makes Khan come alive, and you can even hear Ricardo Montalban's voice coming from the pages. A must for any original series fan.
Karla
Feb 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, dead-tree
3.5 stars - I read this one long ago and only remember that it was a bit slow-going in spots, but thought it was cool that the author worked the Union Carbide disaster into the plot. Will have to re-read this one again before I finish up the trilogy.
Krista Ivy
KHAN, need I say anything more?
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
***This book was purchased for my own reading pleasure***

I purchased the paired non-canon Eugenics Wars books by Greg Cox many, many moons ago. Khan is one of the most enduring and well-known of Kirk’s many adversaries. I was quite pleased when a version of Khan made an appearance in the new reboot of Star Trek.

This is the first of two books focused on the rise and subsequent fall of Khan Noonien Singh, one of several genetically augmented humans created by Dr Sarina Kaur and her Chrysalis team.
John
May 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Possible spoilers ahead.
Although ultimately beta-canon, it seemed part of my duty as a good Trekkie to understand the story, albeit unofficial, behind the Eugenics Wars, one of onscreen Trek's most oft-mentioned events regarding Earth history. One of my first thoughts was that whoever took up the task of writing about the Eugenics Wars didn't screw up the story, given the event's importance in the Star Trek universe.
So far I can safely say that Greg Cox is doing an okay job, even if this book le
Max Tachis
International espionage, real-world political history, and a handful of Star Trek references that fans will surely pick up with glee, Cox has created the first part of a fast-paced, easy-read thriller. It doesn't lean as far into the sci-fi as, I assume, later installments will, but that doesn't make it any less fun.

All the more impressive, frankly, is how engaging the story is considering it's built from a web of one-off (and one movie) characters from Star Trek: The Original Series. I knew of
Glenna
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've seen the gamut of reviews on this series and I fall in with those who were delighted. It was fun! Khan is one of my favorite all time villians, and though the book isn't entirely about him, the set up using Gary Seven and Roberta alongside Kirk's re-reading of history in his time was no problem for me. I enjoyed seeing the Star Trek timeline unfold through Roberta's eyes, chuckling in many places at the pop up references to other parts of the Star Trek universe. So much so that I immediatel ...more
Matt Eldridge
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall and excellent read that paces itself well and provides a great political thriller story. But there is a big problem to it; the book has a passage that uses ableist language towards autistic people and people with other mental illnesses like schizophrenia. If this was written in the 1970's, it would be one thing, but this was written in the year 2000 which makes it feel much more inappropriate.
Jean Wetmore
My biggest complain is that they didn't actually tell us anything abut the Eugenics War itself. That's one of the things I wanted to find out. How did it start? What were the main battles? How exactly did Khan and the other genetically enhanced people take over? Was it a coup, or did they assassinate current head of government, or were they elected? The books cover none of that. Why?! That's kinda the most important part.
Jeff Freitag
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's generally well-written, but the author relies too heavily on pop culture references and awkwardly-inserted Star Trek Easter eggs. The book is oddly structured, too; the first two-thirds are set in the '70s but the Khan character is barely involved; the 80s-set final third of the book is a loosely-related collection of short stories that function as a "greatest hits" for Khan's origins rather than a proper story or exploration of the title character.
Tiffany
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know very little of Star Trek. I recognized some names from the story, but I was pretty lost as to references to the past and other characters. If I'm being totally honest, which I will be, I listened to this on audiobook solely because it was narrated by Anthony Stewart Head and I have loved that man for many years now.
Geoff Hunton
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Start

I have always been a Star Trek fan who has wanted to know more about the deep lore of the first series. t
This book fits in very well with that purpose without being heavy handed
Laurie Kazmierczak
Enjoyable look-see into our real history and the interweaving of these super humans scheming in the background. Author Cox made Kahn a believable mover and shaker in the world events. Glad I read it.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
  • The Ashes of Eden (Star Trek: Odyssey, #1)
  • Imzadi (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Imzadi #1)
  • The Return (Star Trek: Odyssey, #2)
  • The Kobayashi Maru (Star Trek: The Original Series, #47)
  • Federation
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
  • Best Destiny (Star Trek)
  • A Stitch in Time
  • Yesterday's Son (Star Trek: The Original Series #11; The Yesterday Saga, #1)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek: The Original Series #1; Movie Novelization #1)
  • Available Light
  • Vulcan's Forge
  • Prime Directive (Star Trek: Worlds in Collision, #2)
  • Web of the Romulans (Star Trek: The Original Series #10)
  • Doctor's Orders (Star Trek: The Original Series #50)

Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars (3 books)
  • The Eugenics Wars, Vol. 2: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars, #2)
  • To Reign in Hell: The Exile of Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars, #3)

News & Interviews

“Beware of more powerful weapons. They often inflict as much damage to your soul as they do to you enemies.” 17 likes
“We should definitely keep an eye on the children of course, particularly that little Indian boy you mentioned, the son of Sarina Kaur. The genetically enhanced offspring of Kaur is not someone we can afford to ignore. What was his name again?"

"Noon. Short for Khan Noonien Singh”
1 likes