Start by marking “Spider-Gwen (2015A) #1” as Want to Read:
Spider-Gwen (2015A) #1

Spider-Gwen (2015A) #1

(Spider-Gwen (2015A) #1)

Spider-Gwen spins into her own series! Gwen Stacy is Spider-Woman, but you knew that already. What you don't know is which friends and foes are waiting for her in the aftermath of Spider-Verse!
Published by Marvel (first published January 1st 2015)

Start your review of Spider-Gwen (2015A) #1
Anne
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it

Pretty goodish start to an extremely cool new character!

description

The biggest problem I had with this issue is that I was hoping for her origin story. That's not what you get here. I guess that story has already been told somewhere else, and now I need to hunt it down. I'd read part of it in Edge of Spider-verse, but that story starts up after she's already a Spidey. So...
sigh
There is a recap on the first page that gives an extremely condensed version of it, but it's not what I wanted.
Spider bit
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

The ONE TIME they could do an origin story - or hint - or ANYTHING - and nope. Instead, let's throw you in and make you feel as if you missed the first 6 issues.

Other than THAT - not too shabby, once I finally got into it. But is anyone else getting Batgirl/Barbara Gordon vibes? Superheroine whose father is an uppity up in law enforcement? And either has an axe to grind against his daughter's alter ego or owes his life to her?

A
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
A great idea that falls down in execution. The art and coloring are vibrant and fresh, but the story: ugh. Gwen's only proactive activity is to vandalize blocks of New York City with spray paint. She commits crime in an attempt to fight crime. So heroic.

And really, Mary Jane Watson as an asshat diva just for tired mean girl conflict? Seriously?!

Written by men for fans of the movie Gwen, but those fans will find themselves confused as the book relies on readers' knowledge of the mainstream Marve
Leah
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm definitely going to pick this up in Trade, but it was in at the comic store, so I decided to pick up the first issue.

I know absolutely nothing about Spider-Man or any of the different universes, and yes, I could look it up on Wikipedia or somewhere, but I haven't yet. I will probably check out some of the world building before the first volume comes out, just so I have an idea of what's going on and the different villains.

So, knowing nothing about the world or who Gwen Stacy really is, I enj
✨    jamieson   ✨
okay so spider-man is my favourite superhero and I've literally been meaning to read Spider-Gwen since forever because I love the concept so much.

First of all, I love the art in this. It's so nice and it was also great to see some classic characters, especially my love Mary Jane.

But I think this needed more backstory / recap of Edge of Spiderverse because it was lowkey confusing a the start. And I thought this was the origin story but it's actually in EOS. So I'll probably go back and read tha
Brittany
Feb 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Eh, I wasn't blown away by this like I thought I would be. But it had really strong points, good dialogue, and awesome artwork to keep me entertained. Unfortunately I feel like this kick ass cover doesn't make up for the lame-o villain. But I like the cliffhanger, and because of that I'll pick up the next issue.
Eric
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Hardcore Spiderverse fans
Shelves: graphic-novels
After seeing how well this was received, I picked up the third printing of the first issue recently to see what the hype was about. I now see that my first instinct was correct, this comic was not for me. While this is a first issue, a ton of alternate universe Spiderverse knowledge is required to know what the hell is going on -- Peter Parker is "dead," Mary Jane is the leader of a girl band that Gwen plays the drums in, Frank Castle has a cameo as a cop, Spider-Ham is mentioned, etc. -- that I ...more
Kaitlin
Sep 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
I did not like this at all and so I'm glad I only picked up the first 2 issues and not the whole volume because not only does the artwork really not interest me, but the story is equally as uninteresting and annoying. This story introduces you to the character of Spider Gwen who is actually Gwen Stacy, but it gives you an intro which makes little sense (if you don't already know the Universe, like me) and it's very much a pow, pow, rush job tone throughout. Personally this just didn't work for m ...more
Meghan
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had been excited for this comic series ever since I had heard about it at New York Comic Con last year. Spider- Gwen is about a girl, given extraordinary gifts. She wants to use these gifts to do good. There's only one problem, no one is seeing her the way she wants to be seen, so much so, that even her father (a police officer) is even against the idea of Spider-Gwen, even though he doesn't know that it's his own daughter.

What I loved about the first issue of this comic is that it was the pe
JB
Feb 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
This was kind of meh to me. It wasn't that I expected too much of it or something. I didn't know the character going in and this first issue was kind of a let down. I didn't feel for the character, nothing really  interesting happened. And when something did happen, it didn't do anything for me. I hope the second issue will be better.
Tiara
Mar 01, 2015 rated it liked it
I love Gwen Stacy, and I wanted to love this book. It's not a bad book, but I was just expecting something a little more spectacular. The rating for this book comes mainly from the fact that I really love what they've done with some of the characters, like Gwen Stacy, Mary Jane, and Frank Castle, from the normal timeline. Other than that I'm only lukewarm toward the story itself.
Taylor Knight
Mar 22, 2015 rated it liked it
I wasn't extremely impressed with this one. I was confused a little bit though out the whole comic and I just wasn't blown away. The artwork was amazing though.
Allison
Mar 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I don't read EOSV so at times I was a little confused. It wasn't clear to me that the boy on the first page was Peter Parker. In my opinion, the writer could have made some things a little more clear so that EOSV wasn't so essential. A couple additional words here and there would have done a world of difference.

The artwork is awesome! But it's yet to be seen as to whether or not the story will be my cup of tea.
Logan
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not bad! So I'm excited, new interpretation of a web slinger! What I was most excited for was Gwen meeting with all of spider man villains because those first encounters are always the best! So first villain is The Vulture, not my first choice but I'm glad there starting small and building up to the more heavy hitters! Overall not bad at all!
The Sapphic Nerd
Mar 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Love the costume, LOVE the art (I mean, just look at those colours!). Unfortunately, the writing is the weakest part. I'm disappointed in the writing, but there's potential in this comic. It's decent, and I love the character, so we'll see where it goes.
Dimitris Papastergiou
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Too much hype for nothing...
Dayla
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
This one took me a while to finish. Hopefully I get more into it as the series progresses--totally loving the sass, though.
Leo McBride
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I swing in and out of the Marvel comics these days, so Spider-Gwen had passed me by a little - so it was a nice treat to see the first volume available for free on Prime Reading to get a taste.

Essentially a way of reframing the Spider-Man origin story with a different perspective, we see the Gwen Stacy of a different dimension take on the powers of Spider-Man, with the world upended in different ways in her dimension.

She fights beside a female Captain America, Peter Parker succumbs to the pote
Melody (theliteraryowl)
Loved the art and the idea of Spider Gwen but I have to admit that I was quite confused with this one. I so wanted to read her backstory -how she was bitten and how Peter Parker died- but we have none of that here. It jumps right into the action -which isn't necessarily a bad thing- just very confusing at first for a newbie like me. Can't wait to read more about Spider Gwen. In fact I think I'm going to read Edge of Spider Verse #2 right now :D
Zoey
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
COOL! But lots of bad words!
Kelly Curtis
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this character. She's feisty with an attitude and a great costume.
Gretchen
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ugh I love Spider-Gwen.
Maggie
Oct 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
I was pretty excited to start this series because of all the attention Spider-Gwen has gotten. I loved the idea of a past-love and deceased character becoming her own hero ! It seemed like such a fresh idea.

Now that I've read it I almost wish that I hadn't. I had such a good idea of who this new Gwen was that when I actually read the first issue I was very disappointed.

I haven't read the Spider-Verse prior to this and know that I shouldn't be too harsh because of that but honestly nothing I rea
rams 💕💕
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
So I've been a fan of Gwen Stacy my whole life, I read old Spider-man comics as a little girl and I fell in love with this blond girl right away. But this Gwen and the original one are quite different. I read a thing a while back that talked about how her only plot was to cry, be a daddy's girl and be in love with Peter, which honestly was quite true.

It took years for Marvel to finally flush her out into her own character, and Spider-Gwen really does that in a fantastic well. But she still has t
Stabbing
I'm not overly impressed by the first issue of Spider-Gwen. The story is somewhat confusing, I'm not really sure what's going on except that it's set in an alternate timeline. The characters I recognized were Gwen Stacy, Foggy Nelson, Frank Castle, and a demented version of Mary Jane.

The art is simplistic and lacks fine detail work, but is vibrantly colored which somewhat makes up for it. The biggest problem I see though is that eyesore of a costume. I don't know what's going on with it but it
Kat
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books-3
Oh man, I was so excited to read this!
I didn't give it a 5 because I haven't gotten a real feel for this series quite yet. But it was fun.
The Vulture was introduced, and the comic leaves you with a cliffhanger (how surprising).
I love how colorful this comic is. I like all the color choices. I don't know how I feel about the art style, I'm sure I'll get used to it though (I say that every time).
This whole idea of Gwen Stacy living in an alternate universe and becoming a superhero is pretty aweso
Tina
Hmm. Mixed feelings. I was really looking forward to seeing a proper Gwen Stacy story. NOTE: If you have not read any of Spider-verse, you will be very confused. I assumed that because this was the first issue, it would introduce things slowly. But no, you're pretty much just thrown right in and left to fend for yourself if you didn't read Spider-verse (which I didn't.) I expected this to be a standalone.

*sigh* Why am I not surprised that MJ was made out to be selfish and jealous? Seriously, th
Brandy Shark
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Tumblr had been all abuzz about Spider-Gwen and for the longest time, I had no idea where she came from or where I could find her. After much investigation I discovered her origin and waited excitedly for her series to premier.

If you haven't read Gwen's issue of The Edge of Spider-Verse (#2), the beginning of this may be a bit confusing. There is a very quick 'previously' but it doesn't cover much.

Otherwise, the comic is very good. The art is spectacular, Gwen is funny, and let's face it, havin
Andrea Lorenz
Gwen Stacy is attempting to keep Spider Woman on the down low after the death of Peter Parker and her father finds out the truth. Complications arise when more giant lizards appear, and Gwen has a run-in with S.H.I.E.L.D.

This was good for a #1. I wasn't blown away, though the art work is fantastic. I really like figuring out what alternative heroes are going to show up in this 'verse - Black female Cap was SO REFRESHING. I'll definitely read on - I want to know about Murdoch and how he'll play i
Brandon
May 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
I honestly expected to like this one. What little of a story there was unfortunately fell flat and was difficult to read at times. The writer seems to take a very old and almost cheesy approach to writing some of the characters that just did not connect well with me. I did appreciate the art. The cover in particular was very vibrant and eye catching but is not enough to keep my interest in such a stale read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Spider-Man/Spider-Gwen: Sitting in a Tree
  • Ms. Marvel (2014-2015) #7
  • Batman vs. The Incredible Hulk
  • Silk (2015) #2

Spider-Gwen (2015A) (6 books)
  • Edge of Spider-Verse #2