Start by marking “Web Scraping with Python: Collecting Data from the Modern Web” as Want to Read:
Web Scraping with Python: Collecting Data from the Modern Web

Web Scraping with Python: Collecting Data from the Modern Web

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  188 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews

Learn web scraping and crawling techniques to access unlimited data from any web source in any format. With this practical guide, you’ll learn how to use Python scripts and web APIs to gather and process data from thousands—or even millions—of web pages at once.

Ideal for programmers, security professionals, and web administrators familiar with Python, this book not only

Published June 15th 2015 by O'Reilly Media (first published April 25th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Web Scraping with Python, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Web Scraping with Python

karzee
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Since I started the semester and I have been reading internet scraping and network security books.
All the books use the example of two arbitrary people Alice and Bob exchanging information.And these examples have been getting better and funnier and weirder.
Somehow,I don't know why,but it's maybe because I love reading books or I love fiction,my mind has been looking for patterns in these books between Bob and Alice.
My conclusion is that these two are government spies and are knee-deep in cover
Cliff Chew
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you ever want to collect amounts of data off the Internet through Web Scraping, please read this book. If you have done some web scraping, this book provides extremely useful nuggets of information to further enhance your web scraping capabilities. Faced some web scrapping blocker practices? This book has a great section on how to make your scrapper look more "human"!

To balance things out, the author even included a section on the ethics of web scrapping, which is something that ever web scr
Joshua Hruzik
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The books gives a good general introduction to BeautifulSoup (which is used for webscraping). However, the focus is too heavily skewed towards less important topics. I would have loved to get more details on BeautifulSoup functions and not about data import to csv etc. since most readers would already have some experience with these sort of tasks.
Sean
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
A solid overview of web scraping with python. Python is currently the most widely used language for web scraping, and this book gives an overview of how to do it. There are minor errors throughout the text, but the author stated she will fix them in the next edition. If you want a book to read through on scraping rather than exercising your Google search skills, this is the book to get.
Leonardo
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-digital
Excelente libro, completo y bien explicado. Creo que puede ser una buena iniciación al scraping para cualquiera que tenga un poco de conocimiento de Python. Me sorprendió que los temas que cubre fueron casi exactamente a los que me fui enfrentando por mi cuenta tratando de resolver los problemas que se me presentaban a la hora de buscar información en internet. Hubiera sido de gran ayuda arrancar por acá, aunque tal vez no hubiera entendido nada si hubiera sido así.

Es de gran ayuda la página we
Byrne
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A nice introduction to the basics of scraping. Reading this before your first scraping project will probably save you a lot of time and frustration--it's basically a compendium of the basics plus everything you wouldn't know how to search Stack Overflow for. It covers the basics (just grabbing simple HTML and parsing with BeautifulSoup) and touches on more advanced topics (using a headless browser like PhantomJS to parse modern, AJAX-y pages).

If you're more experienced, I'd recommend flipping t
Marcus Österberg
Bra bok men lite irriterande att det slutliga kodexemplet av ngrams inte fungerar (också kollat bokens kod på Github utan framgång).
Loc Nguyen
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: algo-trading
Good book for learning web scraping quickly.
Akash Nidhi P S
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
A decent book to intro to webscraping, gives highlevel overall view of the webscraping world.
Ed Terrell
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Well written, hands on analysis of how the web works and how to extract information from it--even when it appears in multiple sites and multiple forms. Very inciteful!
Ferhat Culfaz
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good introduction to web scraping giving you all the tools and relevant libraries you need depending on your application.
Hasan Basri AKIRMAK
Practical guide

Practical guide on scraping tools, libraries for text and image data processing as well as do’s don’t do’s for a project.
Tadas Talaikis
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm thinking to build my next web empire I had almost ten years ago. Now with more sophisticated tools than just Perl/ PHP. Will tell somewhere someday how that goes with Google. This book has one part of required answers, and broad spectrum of problems is covered.
Yixi
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: techlearning
Good introductory book on web scraping.
Georgi
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was expecting more in deep examples. At the moment it is more like compilation of official documentation.
Blake Pengelly
Artem
Mar 19, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“As the old computer-science joke goes: “Let’s say you have a problem, and you decide to solve it with regular expressions. Well, now you have two problems.” 1 likes
“children are always exactly one tag below a parent, whereas descendants can be at any level in the tree below a parent.” 0 likes