Start by marking “The Adventures of Tom Sawyer” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Read Book* *Different edition

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

(The Adventures of Tom and Huck #1)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  692,718 ratings  ·  8,835 reviews
Rediscover the classic American tale or join Tom Sawyer's adventures on for the first time.

A favorite among young readers and adults alike, Mark Twain's TheAdventures of Tom Sawyer, first published in 1876, is considered to one of the great novels about American adolescence along with its sequel Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

Tom Sawyer is a young orphan living with his ha
Published February 15th 2016 by Race Point Publishing (first published 1875)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, please sign up.
Greg And don't forget that you can find, for free, almost 100% of books considered as classics of the English language at your local library! And many…moreAnd don't forget that you can find, for free, almost 100% of books considered as classics of the English language at your local library! And many libraries now offer e-books which can be downloaded free!(less)
Kaylan I would read Tom Sawyer first. You get an introduction to the character Huckleberry Finn and it kind of leaves off where the book Huckleberry Finn…moreI would read Tom Sawyer first. You get an introduction to the character Huckleberry Finn and it kind of leaves off where the book Huckleberry Finn begins.(less)

·  692,718 ratings  ·  8,835 reviews

Nataliya
I was five and a half years old when my mother gave me The Adventures of Tom Sawyer as a New Year's gift (she is a literature teacher, and I have been reading novels since the tender age of four or so, and so it seemed appropriate).

Being a diligent and serious child (neither of those qualities have stuck with me, unfortunately), I opened it to page 1 and started reading. I even took it with me to kindergarten, where other kids were learning letters and I was mercifully allowed to read hefty tome
Lisa
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, my daughter just started reading Tom Sawyer for the very first time, and I am jealous of her!

First of all, she can read it in original, while I read it in translation as a child. Second, I wish I could still have that immediate, surprised response to the silly situations. About every five minutes, she comes into my room, reading out loud some funny quotes, making the scenes come alive in my memory again. The fight between the two boys threatening with their fake big brothers, followed by th
Ahmad  Ebaid
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: أدب
description

عن مغامرات الطفل الشقي توم سوير وأصدقاءه
The adventures of naughty little boy, Tom Sawyer and his friends.
You won't believe it wrote 150 years ago,
as Mark Twain's procedure is simple and fluid.
He do not show off with language techniques or dictionary's vocabulary.
just adventures and events, no silly metaphors
an enjoyable novel that i have read at one session
On starting reading "Huckleberry Finn", I knew that it was the second part of "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer", so I went back to the first
P-eggy
Jun 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to P-eggy by: meghan krogh
Update All we need now is a "lost" manuscript by Twain to be found by some lawyer with the story being about an adult Tom Sawyer and this book being the one the editor "forced" Twain to write. I know you are probably thinking that is taking Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman to far, but what if that was just the beginning of a new initiative from publishers. It could be the latest fashion now no-one is interested in vampires any more?
__________

What happened to Tom after he grew up was asked in a rev
Doug
Jan 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My all-time favorite work of fiction. I usually read this every summer.

As a fourth grader I read this book and took it very seriously. It was my dream to build a raft and go adventuring. Actually I did build the raft, but there was not enough water in the creek.

My other great ambition was to come marching into my own funeral. I still think that would be fun.

When I read about Tom taking a licking for Becky Thatcher in school and sharing his cake with her in the cave, I thought that was incredibl
Evgeny
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
Although my book is intended mainly for the entertainment of boys and girls, I hope it will not be shunned by men and women on that account, for part of my plan has been to try to pleasantly remind adults of what they once were themselves, and of how they felt and thought and talked, and what queer enterprises they sometimes engaged in.

Samuel Langhorne Clemens aka Mark Twain

The above quote comes straight from the preface of the book and I really cannot add anything else to it; I would not dare
Justin Tate
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Despite knowing this story front-and-back, it was nice to finally read the unabridged words of one of America's finest storytellers. The scene with Tom lost in the cave is notably incredible, but Twain's folksy prose is a delight throughout. I'm not as familiar with the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Can't wait to start that one soon!
Pouting Always
My coworker and my boyfriend made fun of me when I was reading this because apparently it's written for children and they both read it when younger. I have nothing to say in my defense, I didn't know I don't know most things if that isn't obvious by now. On a related note I probably would have enjoyed this more when younger. It wasn't bad, it was okay but I wasn't really itching to keep reading it and didn't have that usual urge that I get when reading a really enjoyable book to give up even goi ...more
James
Book Review
4+ out of 5 stars for The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, a classic novel written in 1876 by Mark Twain. Another book where there are likely tons of reviews, each covering the plot, summary, characters, writing and themes. I'll try not to do that, but instead a few quick hits on what made me like this one so much. An author's job is difficult. You undoubtedly have hundreds of ideas and images swimming around inside your head. You may want to try to correct a wrong in society. You could
Fabian
Feb 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Been a while since Huck Finn, & I finally got around to reading this, a certain preparation text for the Mississippi River classic. This one is considered far inferior, and it is. Although, I must admit, the opening is stronger and the adventures are more varied. There is substantially more comedy in this, more of a dabbling with the picaresque—far more enjoyable then. But Huckleberry has a more pervasive pathos than this one: overall, a stronger sense of the loneliness experienced one lazy ...more
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
How many people get to crash their funeral?

Is it sort of weird that I want to do this? I mean it would be such a fun surprise for people or bad depending on what they thought of you. Imagine going to the funeral of your sworn enemy and then he bursts through the door, you’d be so disappointed or as equally amazed if you just buried your best friend and he turns up to say hi.

It something to ponder at least, other than that this book is pretty shit. I mean the narrative structure is a mess, the d
Em Lost In Books
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Em Lost In Books by: ARPiT
3.5* a good, funny story.
Carmen
"Looky-here, Tom, being rich ain't what it's cracked up to be. It's just worry and worry, and sweat and sweat, and a-wishing you was dead all the time."

This book is great. I hadn't read it in years, and found it just as good as the previous times I've read it. An American classic by the late, great Mark Twain.

Tom Sawyer isn't really a bad kid although he's always painted and remembered as a little troublemaker, the truth is he has a strong conscience and a strong moral compass. Sure he'll "hook"
Michael Finocchiaro
There are few children's stories as memorable for boys as Tom Sawyer. Whether it is pre-adolescent fascination with girls, getting away with not working, or a late night adventure - Tom Sawyer has it all in spades. My kid absolutely loves this book and we go back to it every few years over and over again. It is a true reading pleasure which you should absolutely not deprive yourself of.
Melki
Twain takes a hard-hitting look at the dark, seamy underbelly of an American childhood.

Who'd a thunk that this small Missouri town could be such a horrifying place to spend one's formative years?

So much ignorance and superstition . . .

"You got to go all by yourself, to the middle of the woods, where you know there's a spunk-water stump, and just as it's midnight you back up against the stump and jam your hand in and say:
'Barley-corn, Barley-corn, injun-meal shorts,
Spunk-water, spunk-water,
Merphy Napier
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, four-stars
This story perfectly captures the logic, mindset, and rational of children. I loved seeing the way these kids viewed the world, and I loved their rational when their worldview was proven wrong. The strongest ellement of this book is the way Mark Twain was able to get into the minds of children and depiction it so perfectly on the page.

The thing I didn't love as much was the meandering plot. There was clearly a direction and purpose to this story, but it took forever to get there and there were
K.D. Absolutely
This coming of age novel is an important American classic because:
1) It is the precursor for the bigger and more important Mark Twain novel, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

2) It is a historical fiction giving readers a glimpse of the laid back town's life in the mid to late 19th century. The town is called St. Petersburg that is based on Hannibal, Missouri, the hometown of Mark Twain. This book is basically a satire of the customs and superstitions that Americans practiced and believed durin
Nathan
Sep 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Great American Con.
Shelves: fiction
There's not much that can be said about this book by a hack like me that would do it justice. Mark Twain was the first American writer to figure out how to turn the American vernacular into art, and he was the first historian to document how we talked. He also was a visionary who saw the problems of race and the problem racism would be in the future, and he tried to warn the future the only way he knew how: by writing about it then. He was gutsy and he was talented and he was hilarious, and this ...more
Trish
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Mark Twain. Yep, you read that correctly. Of course I knew the author. I knew his actual name, how this pen name came about, that he was a cat lover, that he might have been a child of his time but also highly critical of certain social matters such as slavery. But I had never read his books. It was about time. And the current weather (hot and often humid too) was perfect as a setting.

This is a book for younger readers. The protagonist is Tom Sawyer, a mischievious boy who lives
unknown
Nov 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to unknown by: Fisher Price
As a child, nothing terrified me more than being lost. My parents found this hilarious. Every time we went on a road trip, my dad would wait a few hours and then start moaning that we had somehow gotten lost. "We're looost! We're looost!" he would wail, and in the backseat I would immediately start bawling. My vivid memories of this suggest that the fear grabbed me long after I should have been old enough to realize that a little kid can't really be lost while with his parents, let alone that yo ...more
Miquel Reina
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is one of the great classics of English literature and I think one of the most important books for any writer. I read the adventures of Tom Sawyer when I was a child, but I still remember with a smile the wonderful story of Mark Twain.

Spanish version:
Las aventuras de Tom Sawyer es uno de los grandes clásicos de la literatura inglesa y un referente para cualquier autor actual. Leí la aventuras de Tom Sawyer cuando era pequeño pero aún hoy sigo recordando con una sonr
Eliza
So, I reread this and gave it another shot! And unfortunately, I still can't give it 3-stars; not when it dragged as much as it did for me. Still, I feel like this is a me thing because I can completely see why so many people love this novel; but it's not my cup-of-tea and I don't think it ever will be.
Nandakishore Varma
Sep 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
What to say about this book?

Tom Sawyer is an intrepid adventurer, an incurable romantic, a devious trickster, a mischievous imp, a hopeless dreamer... a lot of things rolled into one. He is THE BOY who epitomises boyhood.

As Bertie Wooster would say - he reminds me that I too, once, lived in Arcady.
Dannii Elle
I feel a certain sense of guilt when I don't enjoy a classic. I find myself filled with sorrow at having missed what is so beloved or important about a text to have allowed it to stand the test of time. Nethertheless, here we are.

Whilst this did not begin as an unenjoyable novel, I found myself weary with the repetition of Tom's antics, as this wore on. The headstrong Tom Sawyer, who made for such an initially witty and clever protagonist started to become, dare I say it, dull! I believe this wa
Natalie Monroe
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three things I've learned from reading Tom Sawyer:

1. Marbles are an acceptable form of currency. So provided I didn't throw out my set when I moved, I'm rich and can whitewash as many fences as I want.

2. Boys are dicks to the girls they like.

This is a lie.

This is the more likely scenario.

3. Books read better when you're not being forced to read them.

Next on my required reading list is The Great Gatsby. Mother have mercy...
Bradley
Mark Twain, or rather, Samuel Clemens, was a special man. When he wasn't hating everyone generally but loving them individually, he was writing very observant tales that did much more than scratch the surface of hypocrisy, racism, and the gullibility that resides in us all.

I'm a fan. A big fan. And the man was very witty. "There is no weather in this book." God. I love this shit.

So when I finally get around to re-reading his old stuff like Tom Sawyer, a YA book if I've ever read one, I was certa
N.N. Light
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
One of the greatest novels ever written about life and society in the 19th century. I'm furious that schools are banning this book due to language. Instead of banning, use it as a teaching tool. *smh*

My Rating: 5++ stars
Today's Tom Sawyer
Mean, mean pride”

- “Tom Sawyer” by Rush

Classic prog-rock man!

I’ve always wondered what Rush’s (probably) most popular song has to do with Mark Twain’s young protagonist. Something to do with being a free-spirited rebel I think, though I cannot imagine Tom Sawyer as a warrior. Tom, in fact, seems almost like a juvenile delinquent, though – through the course of this novel – there is no real malice in him. To quote his Aunt Polly, “he warn'

T, is for Twain.

3.5 Stars

If you have ever been a young girl you have learned one unavoidable fact; boys are the worst! They are self-absorbed, morbid and cruel. They'll call you names, pull on your hair and treat you entirely like crap....

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer revolves around, surprise, a young troublemaker named Tom. To my way of thinking Tom is a fairly good example of the average youngster. While his adventures may be grander than most, his selfishness and lack of compassion is not.
Ujjawal Sureka
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genre: Satire, Folk, Children's literature
Publication Date: 1876

Liked this book a lot.
: Its full of adventures and frolic.
: The style of writing is fun and animate.
: The characters do seem original as claimed by the author, their talks are musing.
: Love the language used.
: Apart from being funny, the stories also offered a lot of great insights and life lessons.
: All kinds of emotions are expressed very beautifully and sometimes rather poetically.
: At many instances, we are kept at the edge of o
How to use this supplement: 1 1 Sep 19, 2019 12:09AM
Keto Flux Reviews 1 5 Jul 10, 2019 11:46PM
Catching up on Cl...: Tom Sawyer Discussion SPOILERS 5 89 Jun 11, 2019 08:02PM
GRN KETO 1 3 May 27, 2019 09:16PM
The Great America...: Tom Sawyer, Parts 4-7- March- SPOILER Thread 38 17 Mar 27, 2019 09:27PM
Play Book Tag: Adventures of Tom Sawyer, by Mark Twain, 5 stars 5 14 Mar 22, 2019 07:57AM
The Great America...: Tom Sawyer, Parts 1-4- March- NO Spoilers 21 25 Mar 20, 2019 08:52PM

• Lord of the Flies
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Anna Karenina
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • The Best Short Stories of O. Henry
  • Watership Down (Watership Down, #1)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume II
  • Emil i Lönneberga (Emil i Lönneberga, #1)
  • The Red Badge of Courage and Selected Short Fiction
  • The Call of the Wild/White Fang
  • Nicholas Nickleby
  • Kim
  • The Grapes of Wrath
  • In Search of the Castaways; or the Children of Captain Grant (Extraordinary Voyages, #5)
  • Ben and Me: An Astonishing Life of Benjamin Franklin by His Good Mouse Amos
  • Ethan Frome and Selected Stories
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), called "the Great American Novel", and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876).

Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also work

The Adventures of Tom and Huck (4 books)
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
  • Tom Sawyer Abroad
  • Tom Sawyer, Detective
“The less there is to justify a traditional custom, the harder it is to get rid of it” 161 likes
“Ah, if he could only die temporarily!” 93 likes