Start by marking “Everything Beautiful Is Not Ruined” as Want to Read:
Everything Beautiful Is Not Ruined

Everything Beautiful Is Not Ruined

Wild meets The Breakfast Club in this story of a girl who must survive an extreme wilderness experience to prove to her mother that she has the strength to pursue her dreams.

Then
Ingrid traveled all over Europe with her opera star mother, Margot-Sophia. Life was beautiful and bright, and every day soared with music.

Now
Ingrid is on a summertime wilderness survival trek for at-ri/>
Published February 21st 2017 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Everything Beautiful Is Not Ruined, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything Beautiful Is Not Ruined

Start your review of Everything Beautiful Is Not Ruined
may ❀
i've literally never heard of this book and i stumbled upon it while looking for 'underrated contemporaries' and GOSH DAMMIT IS THIS BOOK SO FRICKEN UNDERRATED

- basically its about a snarky, angry, hurt girl who is embarking on this 3 week wilderness camp for 'troubled teens' and she ain't too happy to be there
- it switches flips between two time periods, the "before" briefly narrating and exploring her life as a child of an opera singer (i thought that was SO COOL) through her mother'
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
You guys, this was so good. Like, SO GOOD.

Read it read it read it READ IT.
Fares
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: underrated-gems
1 2 3 4 I declare a thumb war on you all who haven't read this book!
I have no words...

I actually thought this is going to have what I call The One Chapter Syndrome. It's the case where I enjoy all of the book but comes this chapter near the end that I just hate and it ruins the book for me.
This book was about to do that. After reading chapter 33 I went like ughh there goes my 5 stars, but then come chapter 34 to the rescue.
I can tell you this, I can't remember the last/>I
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
Everything Beautiful is Not Ruined is a million times better than I was hoping it would be. This book is about a camping trip and has some backstory woven in throughout the story. The supporting characters are all so developed and have such complex stories. The main character is also smart, strong, and musically talented. This book does not disappoint.

This book is a story that focuses on a summer camping trip in the wilderness and has bits of intricate backstory woven in. I loved swi
Erin
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kobo
Wow! This YA novel was so much more than what I was expecting. Beautiful writing, captivating characters, and tons of tough topics that were handled with the utmost respect. I know that I am not going into times of detail. Suffice it to say, this is a book that you don't leave on the shelf.
Fatma
love love love. so many emotions right now.

imma do this review Random Thoughts style:
If I had to sum up this book I would say it's all about Complicated Shit. I'm not kidding. The beauty of Everything Beautiful is Not Ruined is that you get to see Ingrid work through all her emotional and psychological turmoil throughout the book. You go to hell and back with her as she tries to untangle her mess of emotions, and when she finally does, you're just so damn happy for her. I just really love Complica/>imma
Julia Sapphire
TW: Suicide, Depression and Sexual Assault

This was such a good read. This book is about a girl named Ingrid who wants to attend a very acclaimed music school and her mother does not want her to go. Ingrid's mother's career went down the drown after her losing her voice and her passion as an opera singer. She is in a bad state of mi
Elise (TheBookishActress)
well apparently this has an opera-singer as a mother I feel represented
Kate (GirlReading)
A heartfelt story of survival and strength in its many forms.

TW: homophobia, depression, sexual assault, suicide
Lindsay♫SingerOfStories♫
I LOVED this book. I know that not everyone who reads it will love it in the way that I did, mainly because this book hit my two main teenage/college hobbies: camping and singing. Not only that but Ingrid's journey and trials were told through her experiences in these activities, making her connections with the outdoors and with her life in music even stronger. If you're thinking about reading this book, let me give you a little bit of a synopsis:

Everything Beautiful Is Not Ruined is told from Ingrid'/>Everything
MeggieBree
Holy. S**t. I would give this book 6 stars if I could.

Ingrid is the daughter of a very successful opera singer, and her childhood is spent being home-schooled by her beautiful diva of a mother and travelling around Europe. She didn't get a chance to make many friends, as they were always travelling, but she didn't feel like that was much of a loss as her and her mother were very close. As long as they had each other, why would they need anyone else? When tragedy strikes and her mothe
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
I've been a fan of Danielle Younge-Ullman since 2012, when I read Falling Under by Danielle Younge-Ullman . Falling Under is still embedded onto my soul and I don't think I'll ever stop loving it. Last year she published her first new adult novel and this year, her first young adult novel.

Everything Beautiful Is Not Ruined is Ingrid's road to survival. She is at a wilderness camp where things could always get worse but nothing is bad as the life waiting for her in the real world. She might want to give up, sit and cry at times but
Vishaka Rajan
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this novel as an advanced copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

There are many YA fiction novels out there that discuss how a teenager deals with problems in her life. Some of these stories are good and some of them don't really make the cut. I haven't read one of these tearjerker novels in a while and I wasn't really expecting this novel to be one. But after reading the first chapter, I knew exactly what it was all about. I continued to read... and I'm so g
Allie Lane
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
When Ingrid’s mother sends her to a wilderness camp for troubled teens, she has no idea the camp immerses kids in survival training. Ingrid and eight other teens will be pushed to their physical and emotional limits, and if they’re lucky, learn something about themselves.

EVERYTHING BEAUTIFUL IS NOT RUINED far exceeded my expectations. Through Ingrid’s narration of how she ended up in camp and how she’s surviving survival camp, readers see her grow from a child enmeshed in her mother,
Gina Morphy
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We all know that camp changes a person. I remember spending a week away at overnight camp every summer and then later on at a more in-depth leadership camp. Your fellow campers became your extended family and the bond was forever forged. I remember my heart feeling heavy when I returned home and wanting to sleep in my sleeping bag on the floor of my room for months at a time to remind myself of camp.

My experiences may not have been as life-altering as Ingrid’s at Peak Wilderness, but I understa
Susan
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book from Booksandlala on Youtube and she loved it and lately everything she has read and loved I have also loved. I didn't realize she and I had similar tastes in books. So because she so highly recommended it I got it on my Overdrive and flew through it. (I actually finished it 3 days ago but life stepped in the way and I am only just today updating)

This was not what I thought it was going to be but I loved it all the same. I thought light fluffy contemporary and in some parts it
Kristen Freiburger
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I totally devoured this book! Loved ⭐ ...more
Kari
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
OH MY GOD. Wow. I didn't go into this expecting much because I haven't heard too much about it at all. Definitely an underrated book in my eyes. I devoured it. I don't even know what was so great about it, but it was beautiful. And I LOVED Andreas. What an absolute angel.
Kayla (Kayla's Book Nook)
*4.5 Stars*

Everything Beautiful Is Not Ruined is truly a beautiful book- I have to say that I adored it. From the characters to the plot to the writing, this book had an amazing structure, and I know it is one I will remember for years to come.

What got me to request this book was first cover love, and upon clicking on it, the synopsis got me hooked- I love drama, and I as well love reading about avid actresses, and when one is forced to go into the wilderness for three weeks... talk about pure awesomeness!

/>Everything
Sophie
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher. This in no way impacted on my view.

When I first received this book in the post, I wasn't too sure about what to expect. I hadn't heard about it originally, but when I looked on GR for it, it seemed to be something I would enjoy, and that's exactly what happened.

In Everything Beautiful is Not Ruined, Ingrid is sent to a wilderness camp, for 3 weeks. She made an agreement with her mam to complete the course, and through
Estee
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
The synopsis of this book does not do it justice! After I read the then/now's I was still a bit confused but I decided to try this book anyway! And, the ebook was available on the library site! no waiting!

I am glad that I read this book. I enjoyed it way more than I expected to.

Ingrid is stuck and goes to a wilderness camp to find some clarity. Which, by the way, is a much safer option than hiking the Pacific Crest Trail by yourself. Sorry Cheryl Strayed.

"I am stuck in a tra/>"I
lucky little cat
Old-fashioned YA Group Therapy wilderness adventure features ten YAs with various Emotional Problems. Our girl Ingrid is there because she has Mom Issues. Literally operatic ones.

Fun for a fast read, but unforgivably glib. Problems--big and little--are magically and quickly solved. (Blisters heal in a few days; counselors *force* campers to share a coed tent; no sex ever, ever happens in the coed teen tent).

Ingrid, without any formal training or even much practice wins a prestigious musical s
Jessica Gilham
Ugh. I was so ready to give this book 4 or maybe even 4.5 stars right up until the last 3 or so pages!! Why would you end it like that after such good character development! *frowny face*
So basically, this book was a roller coaster for me - after reading the first 50 pages, I was ready to stop, but then as it progressed I suddenly got it! I was like, YEAH, these characters are all amazing and I love the camping and the narrative as well! But GODDAMN! THAT ENDING. I am so not okay with that
Cecily Kyle
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: uno, favorites
OMG by the end I was balling!! What a story, one that will stick with me for a long long time. The pain and grief I could just feel it, all the anger and sadness, it was just so shockingly real and really well written.
REALLY GREAT READ!!
Anna
I wasn't expecting to like this as much as I did. I think the characters were really what made it for me; they were real and developed. Some brief thoughts on each of them (written at 3am, because that is when I finished this):

* I really liked Ingrid. I didn't write down why, but her personality didn't get on my nerves and her character development from age five to sixteen(?) was interesting to read about.
* Margot-Sophia was so complex and real. She made me really angry at times, but/>/>
Rodoreads
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
TW: suicide, sexual assault.

Rating : 4.5/5 stars.

First off I'd like to thank Amber for recommending me this book. (I still don't know how to mention people on reviews I'm dumb, sry)

Gaah, I'm in the middle of a breakdown right now because this book made me feel things, like, so much. I felt so much. It's amazing how much I connected with the characters and their quirks.

So our protagonist *squeals* Ingrid is probably one of the bests I've ever come across, like ever. She's got the PERFECT sarcast
Katie Meyer-Robinson
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty standard YA book, but it made me cry so it gets 4 stars.
Sal
When I was first pitched this book at the Scholastic blogger feast earlier this year, I was immediately hooked in by the idea of this being described as "The Breakfast Club goes camping." Now if anyone knows me well, they would know just how much I love that classic movie and how much importance it holds in my life. It's absolutely brilliant. So yes, I was eager to sink my claws into a copy of this book. Everything Beautiful is Not Ruined also holds the award for having one of the most gorgeous ...more
Rachel Buckley
I picked up this book on a whim, and I'm so glad that I did.

Everything Beautiful is Not Ruined is the story of Ingrid, a girl sent to Peak Wilderness Camp for three weeks in exchange for the opportunity to go to the school of her dreams. At this camp, her strength is tested, and she is not sure she'll even make it through the program. However, throughout this story, Ingrid learns more about herself and learns the true reason she was given this challenge.

This story is impa/>

• Hålla andan
  • The Fashion Committee
  • The Pain Eater
  • Every Hidden Thing
  • Inuti huvudet är jag kul
  • Leave Us In Peace
  • Karta för förälskade och andra vilsna
  • No Fixed Address
  • Så jävla kallt
  • Dagen du förstörde allt
  • Allt ska brinna
  • Papperssjälar
  • The Art of Picking Up Girls (and Other Dangerous Things)
Danielle Younge-Ullman is the award-winning author of the young adult novels, HE MUST LIKE YOU (July 2020), EVERYTHING BEAUTIFUL IS NOT RUINED (2018), LOLA CARLYLE’S 12 STEP ROMANCE (2015), and the adult novel, FALLING UNDER (2008). Danielle’s work has been published internationally, won the White Pine and Earphone awards, and been nominated for multiple awards and best-of lists, including the Gov ...more
“Nothing guarantees happiness. I’m not certain happiness should be the goal. Satisfaction, maybe. A sense of purpose. Contribution. Authenticity. Happiness? It’s a lightweight goal. And meanwhile, I suspect that turning away from yourself will guarantee the opposite of happiness.” 6 likes
“My demon is you. My best and worst is about you: how I need you and fear for you, how I fear for myself if I lose you, how I have let myself be defined by you.” 4 likes