Start by marking “Royal Bastards (Royal Bastards, #1)” as Want to Read:
Royal Bastards (Royal Bastards, #1)

Royal Bastards

(Royal Bastards #1)

Being a bastard blows. Tilla would know. Her father, Lord Kent of the Western Province, loved her as a child, but cast her aside as soon as he had trueborn children.

At sixteen, Tilla spends her days exploring long-forgotten tunnels beneath the castle with her stablehand half brother, Jax, and her nights drinking with the servants, passing out on Jax’s floor while her castl
Published May 30th 2017 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Royal Bastards, please sign up.
Alice No and this book becomes more romance heavy and boring the farther you go into it. (there's a makeout scene that implies sex)
Lord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCarve the Mark by Veronica RothCaraval by Stephanie GarberFlame in the Mist by Renée Ahdieh
YA Novels of 2017
1,098 books — 8,458 voters
Caraval by Stephanie GarberThe Hate U Give by Angie ThomasWintersong by S. Jae-JonesGilded Cage by Vic JamesBlood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eves
YA Debuts 2017
220 books — 1,567 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Royal Bastards (Royal Bastards, #1)
chai ♡
Jun 09, 2017 rated it did not like it

For next halloween, I’m going to wear a trash bag and when people are like 'oh haha you're going as trash', I’ll be like, 'close... I’m going as Royal Bastards', and then I'll show them this book.

I just wanna say, from the bottom of my black heart, that I wish I could shoot this book to venus so it would die a fiery acidic death.

Listen, contrary to the stereotype of patience and forgiveness given to me by my sun sign, I have never gotten over anything or anyone in my life. I'm like a bitter old
Chelsea Humphrey
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was an adventure and I can't remember the last time I've had this much fun coming along for the ride. The style of writing was interesting; i started out wondering if this was actually a Middle Grade book, and as the story progressed pulled a huge "NOPE- definitely YA". The only comparison I can think of is how the Harry Potter books progressed; they start out very light and youthful in feel but gradually grow darker and heavier? That was totally this book. The author did an excellent ...more
emi
Jul 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: owned-and-unread
Update: It has come to my attention that I accidentally made the same joke as another user in this review. Especially when this user is one that I admire and who's reviews I look forward to. I know they probably don't trust me anymore, but please know that it was never my intent to copy them and it was purely coincidental. While I did like their review before hand that contained that joke, it was before they posted the entire thing and I didn't even see it until after I wrote my review. Nonethel ...more
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
To whoever wrote this book's "synopsis":

syn·op·sis
/səˈnäpsəs/
noun
→ a brief summary or general survey of something.

Do take note.
C.G. Drews
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one of my most anticipated reads for this year. And did it live up to it? CAN I GET A HECKIN' YEAH. It's sassy, bloody, and full of love/hate friendships which obviously instigate the bestest level of sass. I'm just really thoroughly entertained and impressed! And more than a little peeved that there seems to be no sequel? MORE PLS.

L I K E S
The SASS LEVELS. You've basically snabbled my attention when you introduce me to two siblings sitting on a wall and making fun of nobility. And tha
Lia (booksnpenguins)
Here’s the thing.
If I have to read another book with a stellar premise, that instead turns out to be your typical and average story, I’ll quit the reading scene faster than you can say “cliché”.

No, okay, that was a bit exaggerated, but I'm sure you see my point and I hope you’re ready for the umpteenth rant-view, because that's what you're getting for this hook.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
What makes Royal Bastards a 2-star book?
I guess it’s only fair of me to start by the obviously hated parts.
maram ☂︎
May 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
“I suppose honor can mean whatever we twist it to mean.”

Before I begin, I just want to add that I don't easily give 1 star ratings to books. It's just that... very few things in my life annoys me to death and this book is no exception as it just got blacklisted, oops :)

For those who have been following my updates on this book know that this story hooked me from the start. I even told my friends that it was getting me out of a reading slump that wedged itself onto me from the first week of June.
Joshee Kun (조수아)
My written interview with the author can be found here.
amy ☂︎
Jul 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017, buddy-read
i have 84 regrets and this book is at least 23 of them

actual rating: 1.5 Stars (not quite level the love interest but it was dangerously close)

it's been two days since i finished this so i already suppressed most of the awfulness that was this book, but i'm gonna try and put my thoughts into coherent sentences for you and convey my :) feelings :) in a :) civilised :) way so i can move on and pretend me reading this book is something that only happened in an unpleasant feverish dream

• buddy read
Sana
Honestly??? Believe them when they say this starts off really good but then is absolute shit. I mean it wasn't absolute shit (I may have exaggerated) but honestly the romance and insta love ruined it.

So like, this book was basically going to class to find a substitute teacher who gives you a pop quiz you didn't study for and you fuck up on it big time. Everything goes so so well until that one thing that ruins pretty much the entire everything. In this case, it’s the shitty romance or insta lov
may ❀

This book promised me a lot of thing; treachery, betrayal, action, no-disappointment, and a hell of a squad. But guess what happened? :)

Honestly, description

So this train wreck started off alright. We got some siblingship going on. Nice. We got some average writing. Fine. We got some rebellion. Cool.

And then Zell appears and I’m like MY BABY.

So far so good,
Me
With
A
Truck

Basically it just turned into a hell of a lot of. . .

- telling not showing
- the characters are as flat as my math scor
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
"Yeah, well, you basically don't have emotions between 'gotta kill' and 'yay, I killed,' so that's not really a surprise."

ALL OF MY LOVE, YOU GUYS. I would give this book 10/5 stars if I could, I swear. I honestly went into the book without a clue of what I should expect, and while I was optimistic, my hopes weren't that high. This book literally shattered every single expectation I held. The writing style is easy and fun, without being childish. The characters share a witty banter that never g
Beth
If you want a book with lies, deception, blood, gore... throw in plenty of humour this is the one for you!

Just going to throw this out there, this was my first ever audiobook, and the narrator was AMAZING!

Also thanks Fathima for telling me about it. :)

What an absolute rollercoaster of a ride this book was, I mean seriously. The story starts off really light and you see all of the characters in quite a light hearted situation at the "bastard table". From there the story continues and I won't divu
Wren (fablesandwren)
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WrensReads Review:

I went into this book thinking that with all the hype, I was probably going to be let down. Not a lot of my book friends were reading it, but being attracted to the title/the idea of it, the narrator and the fact that I like the idea of all these bastards of lords and ladies making trouble, I decided to give it a try.

Maybe, just maybe, I would like it.

Maybe, just maybe, I absolutely loved it.

Let me introduce to you, the bastards:
Tilla: our main girl. Has a strong personality,
Cindy ✩☽♔
Royal Bastards aka a royal waste of time...

For those looking to read a kick-ass fantasy, adventure book, I implore you to look elsewhere! Because this book was one of my most anticipated books of the year, and it was an utter letdown.

Issues with this:
1. Rehash of typical YA fantasy elements with little to no added fun
2. Insta-love that the main character will not/does not acknowledge as instalove, but is most definitely on the instalove spectrum
3. Odd narration elements, like sometimes the na
Dahlia
Good LORD did I love this. I'm totally a fan of Chosen Girl Fantasy and all, but this was a really nice break, more in the "friend group" vein of Finnikin, which I adore. The at-times anachronistic language totally worked to crack me up, and I really loved the gender balance of roles here - in the heroes, villains, and bastards. Adventure, romance, high stakes, a great premise, and a delightful and varied cast all combine to ensure this is gonna be one of my favorite Fantasy YAs of the year.
emma
dnf @ 30%. (I’ve decided not to rate this but I feel like if I had bothered to keep going it would probably fall somewhere between 1.5 and 2 stars.)

oops……oh no……looks like I’m not gonna finish this………so sad…………….…jk jk I am not even remotely close to giving a shit about any of this, I am out.

actual representation of my thoughts while reading this book: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The plot and worldbuilding felt like very standard, cookie cutter (read as: basic, cliched, and boring as hell) ya fantasy, and it read
Jiana
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Huge buddy read with: Wife & Oragy & Marmesan & Half Amy & Person & Emma

Well... I'm the only one in this BR who didn't hate and roast the hell out of this book. Having said that, obviously, I don't think the book was bad. Yes, it wasn't great, but it was enjoyable to some extent! It feel like I was reading a whole bunch of different YA books merged into one, but I wasn't completely bothered by it.

The book started off great. A group of royal bastards on the run? Deception? Betrayal? Action? What'
Alyssa
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-releases
Meh. I didn't hate it, didn't love. I had high expectations but I think, in the end, I just wasn't invested enough (once I started reading).

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Royal Bastards by Andrew Shvarts
Book One of the Royal Bastards trilogy
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Publication Date: May 30, 2017
Rating: 3 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Caitlin
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read, 4-stars
If you’d like to know how much of a disgrace I am, I was meant to read this book 4-5 months ago as a buddy read and I just started and finished it now.

Well shit guys this book was great. I had very low expectations going into it and yet I was absolutely blown away by how much I enjoyed it. I feel like this was such a strong opening to what’s going to be a great trilogy. I am shook to the max

Suzanne
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was hesitant on this book because of some of the negative reviews but that does not usually stop me from reading a book and I am sure glad it doesn't because this book was actually really interesting! It had some very humorous parts and a good deal of adventure.

Overall, if you are hesitant on reading this because of some of the reviews, I recommend giving it a shot. I laughed a lot during this book and was found it very entertaining.
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/06/04/...

This book was a ridiculously entertaining read, putting me in mind of Marvel’s Runaways set in a fantasy world that is rife with Game of Thrones vibes. Characters tragic and comic, heroic and despicable all live within these pages, including beautiful princesses, warring kings, powerful mages, and of course, royal bastards.

As the daughter of Lord Kent of the Western Province and a Castle Waverly servant, sixteen-year-old T
lucie
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, in-english
I pretended to be your friend so I could betray you," he said. "And I didn't do it for my people or my family's honor. I did it because I wanted my father to be proud of me again. I did it for the man who threw an ax at my skull. So what does that make me?"
"A bastard," I said. "Same as me."

Titan's breath, that was good! Not the best but good.

My actual rating is between three and four stars, but I'll round it up because some dialogues made me laugh.

Thoughts:
- I had no idea what this
Lauren Stoolfire
I received a free eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Tilla is a bastard. Her father is Lord Kent of the Western Province and her mother a low born woman. As soon as Lord Kent had his own legitimate children he tossed Tilla aside to raise them into the nobility instead. She longs to be at her father's side as a legitimized heir, but at sixteen she spends most of her time with her half brother Jax (they share the same mother), a stablehand, exploring the old tunnel system under t
Anja V
May 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
please leave me alone while I sob silently in the corner because of yet another anticipated book that let me down
_

This book didn't really appeal to me on the blurb alone. It's the typical premise of: Someone living with the king experiences or witnesses some sort of betrayal and has to flee with an odd group of people. We've read that a thousand times, sometimes executed well and sometimes not so much. So that alone won't sell your novel to me. But then people started posting funny and intriguin
Rebekah
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am so glad I got the chance to read and review this book early! It has been an incredible adventure! I loved it! This is another great book with everything to offer anyone who enjoys a good book. Diverse characters, political intrigue, romance, blood, fights, kingdoms on the brink of war and 5 teens who have to set aside everything they know in order to come together to save their kingdoms as well as keep themselves alive.

This book mostly focuses on Tilla. Tilla is the oldest of a regional Lo
ambsreads
BUDDY READING
with the usual;
my wife
broski (also he hasnt added this book to his TBR so this isn't his review)
the eBook king

This was the worst buddy read we've done yet, BUT WOW. I enjoyed this. This was what I needed to start my recovery of Lord of Shadows.

Full review to come!
Scrill
Jul 07, 2017 marked it as dnf
I am 30% through a standalone book and I would have expected a lot more to actually happen. I am sure there's a bunch more people dying and all that, but I really don't care about our little group of bastards.

First of all, our MC, Tilla is a little brat. She preaches about how the princess is a sheltered girl, but really all she wants is to basically run around a palace in a pretty dress too. She's ridiculously shallow. Anytime a new person is introduced, her first comment is about their looks.
Bree Barton
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh my good lord, this book is SO MUCH FUN. I can't remember the last time I've had so much fun reading a book! ROYAL BASTARDS reminded me of everything I loved about adventure stories growing up—the swashbuckling romance, the acts of daring, the bad guys closing in, and the bonds of friendship forged amidst acts of astounding magic and astonishing villainy.

I knew the moment I read the flap copy that I was going to love this book. I hadn't intended to read ROYAL BASTARDS in a day, but once the s
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

4.5*

I absolutely devoured this book. The characters were incredible, and I liked that they had to make such hard choices between their families and what they felt was right. They were well fleshed out, and I loved the journey they went on- both mentally and physically. They had to figure out where their loyalties lay, and they had to avoid a lot of people who didn't want them to live to

• The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)
  • Long May She Reign
  • Empress of a Thousand Skies (Empress of a Thousand Skies, #1)
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
  • Heart of Thorns (Heart of Thorns, #1)
  • Roar (Stormheart, #1)
  • The Valiant (The Valiant, #1)
  • Even the Darkest Stars (Even the Darkest Stars, #1)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion (Blood Rose Rebellion, #1)
  • Bright Star
  • Shimmer and Burn (Shimmer and Burn, #1)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1)
  • Unearthed (Unearthed, #1)
  • Given to the Sea (Given Duet, #1)
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
  • These Rebel Waves (Stream Raiders, #1)
  • 飴色パラドックス 3 [Ameiro Paradox 3] (Amber Paradox #3)
  • The Black Witch (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1)

Royal Bastards (3 books)
  • City of Bastards (Royal Bastards, #2)
  • War of the Bastards (Royal Bastards, #3)