Start by marking “Captain America: The First Avenger #1: First Vengeance” as Want to Read:
Captain America: The First Avenger #1: First Vengeance

Captain America: The First Avenger #1: First Vengeance

The OFFICIAL comics prequel to the Marvel Studios summer blockbuster begins here! Find out how Captain America set down the path to become the First Avenger!
Published by Marvel (first published February 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Captain America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captain America

Start your review of Captain America: The First Avenger #1: First Vengeance
Sara
May 21, 2019 added it
This is a quick read, shows some of Cap's origins but doesn't give enough to really satisfy you.
The artwork is really good and of course its always nice to spend time with Captain America and Bucky.
Ankit Saxena
Touche

Well it's a nice start and Captain America has always been the smartest Avengers, sharing the title with Stark obviously. Good story and I enjoyed it
(Note: I'm adding this to my tv/movie/gaming tie-in shelf, because this is a prequel to the first MCU Cap movie.)

I'm not a big reader of comics, I'll say that up front. And when I do read comics, I prefer graphic novels that compile several issues in one.That being said, I'm not sure how much weight you should give this review. I downloaded this because I love the CA movies, and it was free.

This is the first of eight issues that make up the series. It was super short, it didn't have much text,
Mimi
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is a comic about Captain America. It is only short with not many words and filled with artwork that I thought was very good.

I've always like Captain America after seeing the films and this is what made me interested in this free comic. But sadly there didn't seem to be any story to it. Sure you see Steve meet Bucky but other than that nothing happens. It ends on a cliffhanger that frustrated me because it left the story half told.

I would say this was aimed more at young readers and that's
Naiara
Jan 06, 2016 rated it liked it
It was nice to see Captain America fighting and what I liked the most was showing how he met Bucky (The Winter Soldier).
Dave
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bit short and sweet, will have to get the full novel...
Rachael C
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
A similar backstory to the MCU version of Cap, there was nothing new included in this short start. Just when the action began, the first in the series came to an end, but the artwork is vivid. Without doing any research into the remainder of the series, if it follows along the movie storyline, there really isn't much reason to continue.

I think I got the digital copy for free, so I can't complain too much. :)
Isa
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked it, it was short, yes but that's how these comics work! I loved how they added the flashbacks and what they did with the characters: it really feels like you see them in a different perspective.
Noelle Walsh
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Artwork: excellent, dialogue: on point, overall enjoyability: top-notch. As this is a prequel to the first Captain America film I think that any MCU fan would appreciate getting this comic (and the series that follows which I plan on doing when I have the opportunity). It is worth reading.
Elliot Huxtable
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
A decent little prequel. Gives a nice insight into Steve's childhood.
Jamie Penwell
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Flash to the past

I really like how this comic seem to take you in to flashes of his past. Showing you how he did become what he wanted and how he still remembers his mama advice
Anna Heidick
Short quick read. Gives a little bit of background for Cap, and shows some nice looking action.
Addie
probably would have been great waiting for the movie...or maybe it would've just ruined it...can't say as I've seen the movie and it's pretty similar...heh
Christine
It's not bad. It's a okay start to a bio.
James David Aris
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Hardly anything of what I thought it would be

Too short and has hardly any action a captain America should start of with a little bit more action for my liking
SOURAV GHOSH
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great Read

This is a very exciting book

I liked it very much.

Great read for Captain America fans of all ages
David Caldwell
This is a short comic that sets up for the first Captain America movie. You get to see one of the reasons that Steve Rogers is so driven. You also get to see the first meeting between Steve and Bucky.

While there is nothing really wrong with this comic, it feels more like one of the teaser scenes at the end of the Marvel movies than a real story. If you have seen the movie (and if you haven't by now than you probably aren't planning on seeing it) than this will all be old information and not add
Sarah Spelbring
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's very short, but emotional, we see and excerpt from Captain Rogers' life that not many get to see - a scene with his sick mother encouraging him to never give up.

As a Captain America fan, I loved it.
J.S. Young
Oct 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
3.5*
This seemed so pointless in it's existence yet I enjoyed it. It was a pleasant 5 minutes spent I'd say. I liked the introduction of Bucky to Steve like them actually meeting. It was nice to have it depicted. And Captain America kicking ass is always fun.
Amir
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
see you soon after the world cup of nations and construction industry

Judy download and construction industry download games for free kick awarded the other hand to download games for the first place in Amazon kindle fire and construction
Alischa K.
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Awesome graphics!

Loved it! Great for any age. Great graphics &a tie in with movie. Got this as a free comic. Wish it was longer!
Michelle Levett
Too short

Way to short
One second read what more can you say far to short really short far to short its to short
Taz
May 28, 2016 rated it liked it
It was far too short I feel-- Even for a comic book.

Although, It was a nice and very simple start which is good.
Claire Rycraft
May 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Was a lot shorter than I thought and it's a shame it wasn't a whole story but it was free on kindle and seemed interesting enough.
Joshua
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Want more

This has one downfall, it's too short. I want more! I love Captain America. It makes me sad this was so short.
Corinne
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fun!

Excellent "fill-in-the-gaps" addition to the Canon. I look forward to reading more along these lines, and I'd love even more side stories.
Raghavendra Rao
Aug 27, 2015 rated it liked it
It's fun

Albeit I got just the demo, I'd say it was fun. Awaiting more from Marvel and Avengers and the like.
Michael Sampson
Jun 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
Stupid not free not fair f amazon

Ffffffffff amazon meat vvg VB hn JM ki lol lol ff amazon
Coffee amazon freaking stupid sad f fffffff buch hiibuihbu
Rebecca Timberlake
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
The art was very realistic, though there wasn't much dialogue. Still, the point is to go with the movie, and it did that in a quick, fun way.
James Mitchell
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Light on story

Cheap cash in on the movie. Fun for kids but that's about it. Not really worth the hard drive space it takes up.

• Share Your Universe Iron Man (Super Heroes)
  • Share Your Universe Avengers (Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (2010))
  • Avengers: Heroes Welcome #1
  • Thanos - Marvel Legacy Primer Pages
  • FCBD 2019: Spider-Man/Venom #1
  • Venom - Marvel Legacy Primer Pages
  • Free Comic Book Day: Star Wars
  • Doctor Strange - Marvel Legacy Primer Pages (Doctor Strange (2015-2018))
  • FCBD 2019: Avengers/Savage Avengers #1
  • Marvel Avengers Alliance (2016) #1
  • Share Your Universe Ultimate Spider-Man Premiere (Ultimate Spider-Man Premiere Comic)
  • FCBD 2018: Amazing Spider-Man/Guardians of the Galaxy #1
  • Marvel's The Avengers Prelude: Fury's Big Week #1 (of 8) (Marvel's Avengers : Fury's Big Week)
Van Lente was raised by a mystery-loving mother (who preferred Dorothy Sayers to Agatha Christie, but we won't hold that against her) and a wisecracking Woody Allen-lookalike scientist father in what appears to be some kind of genetic experiment to write his first novel, TEN DEAD COMEDIANS, even though neither parent nor the son himself would know it for many years.

Van Lente spent his time