Start by marking “Act Like It (London Celebrities, #1)” as Want to Read:
Act Like It (London Celebrities, #1)

Act Like It (London Celebrities #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  5,459 Ratings  ·  988 Reviews
This just in: romance takes center stage as West End theatre's Richard Troy steps out with none other than castmate Elaine Graham

Richard Troy used to be the hottest actor in London, but the only thing firing up lately is his temper. We all love to love a bad boy, but Richard's antics have made him Enemy Number One, breaking the hearts of fans across the city.

Have the tides
Published November 30th 2015 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Act Like It, please sign up.

Arianna✦❋SteamyReadsBlog❋✦
4 Stars!!

description

This book was like nothing I expected. It was very different from what I have read before and I’m not talking only about the premise – two stage actors who start a fake relationship and then falling in love for each other-, but also about the writing. The writing was...well different, but in a good way – and also flawless and witty. “Act Like It” is a romantic comedy that made me smile and also LOL a couple of times. It’s an enemies/friends to lovers kind of story with an interesting se
Jennifer Kyle
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
4.5 ~ 5 STARS

description

What a refreshing read! This appears to be the first and only book by this author and so….Lucy Parker wins my vote for Best New Author of 2015!!

description

The story is based on actors and actresses performing in a long running play at the Metronome in London. This is a frenemies to lover’s story that is such a good time. The heroine, Elaine Graham has just broken things off with her castmate Will Farmer. Sadly, she still has to see this knob daily. (I learned a ton of Britishisms while readi
Brandi
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Brandi by: Jennifer Kyle
4.25 Stars

description

I really enjoyed this one! A fun, romantic comedy with a grumpy hero and extremely likable heroine, set in the London theater scene. I'll try to review properly soon, but I've been bit by the lazy bug!
Nissa | Of Pens and Pages Book Blog
4.5 stars!

Review at Of Pens and Pages.

I love this book! A well-written slow burn romance with my favorite trope (hello, fake relationship!), witty banter, and a little Pride and Prejudice-esque feel to it. I wouldn’t go as far as to call it a modern-day Pride and Prejudice, but there’s a lot of influence there, especially with the main characters. And y’all know how much I love P&P. I read Act Like It again as soon as I finished it. Feels!

Elaine “Lainie” Graham is in the unfortunate position
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

3.5 stars happily rounded-up because Act Like It was loads of fun! Truth is, I was really wary when I first started it, but let's face it, I'm always wary when I read a romance novel, because they often contain several of my biggest peeves : cheating, slut-shaming, instalove... just pick one. Albeit not perfect, Act Like It was a great surprise in these aspects and a promising debut.

Two main characters thoroughly enjoyable : meat Lainie, a nice but feisty actress and Richard, a misanthropic
Aestas Book Blog
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
::: FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED ::::

This just in: romance takes center stage as West End theatre’s Richard Troy steps out with none other than castmate Elaine Graham.

Oh my gosh, what a fun book! The whole idea of stage actors starting a fake relationship and then falling in love intrigued me, but as soon as I started reading, I fell in love with the writing. It was smart, sassy, oh-so-witty and even downright hilarious in places. I laughed out loud countless times, and loved the light-hearted v
Baba
3 meh stars. Review posted January 16, 2016

photo oie_15185129ponkgWcZ_zps4ybxhxdj.gif

What was great about this book was the author's writing. I really dug that. Unfortunately, Asking For It didn't work out for me as a romance. It's strange, really, but I felt amused, entertained, annoyed and bored in equal parts. I chuckled many times.

Some funny quotes for your perusal

“Richard? Come here, baby!”
Jesus.
The cat, which was bloody enormous and did not need to be fed twice a day, appeared at a leisurely stroll. It sniffed the bowl disdainf
Navessa
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
I think I read this too soon after The Hating Game.

And I loved that book far too much to favorably compare another hate-to-love themed romance to it. Beyond that, this book still would have been an issue for me.

This male lead, for instance, was not my cuppa. First off, he was an insufferable prick to not only the female lead, but to literally EVERYONE else. And not in a redeeming way. At least not for me. It's one thing if I'm told that a male lead is a smarmy douche and given one or two scenes
Mysza
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-read
Such a hidden gem this one. Bloody loved it.

Very British, settled in London, the city I adore, with West End in the background.

Witty, adorably snarky and sweet heroine Elaine, is paired up with London's bad boy of theatre world. She is to repair Richard's tarnished reputation and make public hate him less.

And let me just say, the comparison used in a book was so spot on that I couldn't stop laughing.

Grumpy Richard and the cat Richard...

But to the point, they hardly knew each other before being
♥Rachel♥
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lots of fun and wonderful writing!

This starts out as a fake romance between British stage actors that (of course) turns into the real thing. Richard is talented, rich, and good looking, but his manners and attitude leave MUCH to be desired! He's a big grouch and his reputation is hurting ticket sales so management propose an idea to bring his popularity up. Set him up in a fake romance with Lainie, another star of the show and a fan favorite. Lainie has the sympathies of the public after being
Kirsten
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: awwwdorable
4 stars!

photo image.jpg1_zps5uqtvv8q.jpg

I enjoyed this smart, witty, and sweet story.

The Cavalier's Tribute is the play running on the stage of The Metronome, but the backstage antics may be more drama.

Recently dumped by one of her cast-mates, Lainie Graham understands awkward. Each night she has to interact with her ex on stage. Though she's not too bent about the situation, the press is loving the gossip that surrounds them.

The press has also been following another cast member. Richard Troy is known for his great acting,
Keertana
Lucy Parker's debut is phenomenal. Her writing reminded me, quite often, of Sara Manning's work. She has the same style of British romance, complete with a brooding hero and a heroine who doesn't seem to be quite right but, nevertheless, is perfect. Act Like It is a classic fake boyfriend/girlfriend trope and I ate it up completely.

Lainie, a theater actress, finds herself kissing her ex-boyfriend every night on stage--a painful process, to say the least. Will, the lead in the drama she is starr
Lenore
It's only the first week of January and here I am giving a five-star rating. I'm gobsmacked. Like, stop-the-presses, will-wonders-never-cease gobsmacked.

This book is delightful! Funny, and clever, and so very romantic. With a smart, beautiful, empowered and realistic heroine, and a hero who is a modern, sweep-you-off-your-feet Mr Darcy. By the end you will be smitten with both of them.

This book revisits some of romance's best-loved tropes without ever becoming humdrum or stilted. This is Pride
Mo
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mo by: Ira

This was a fast-paced read for me. Was still in the mood for something light (thanks for the recommendation Ira). Set in the London West End theatre district it follows Richard and Lainie who are sort of thrown together for PR purposes to try and salvage Richard's reputation.

But make-believe and reality sort of mesh together ...

I did not like Will and I am not sure how and why Lainie put up with him or even spoke to him off set. Yes, she was professional enough to act on stage with hi
Stacey is Sassy
There is no way I could kiss someone I hate...

I really admire stage actors. I don’t know how they memorise so many lines or remember the exact spot they’re supposed to stand. Sure, I get that if you do it enough times you’ll remember but I would find the audience very distracting. I also don’t know how actors can be intimate…without the intimate feelings attached. You kiss the same bloke every night for months, and not feel anything? How do you do that? You kiss the same bloke every night, who a
Mandi Schreiner
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
This book has been out for a few months and I’ve had a lot of people text me, email me and tweet me and say – READ IT! So I bought it and then it got buried on my Kindle (seriously, how many book are buried on my kindle??) and I kind of forgot about it. But I finally read it and I fell in love. This book is adorable, it’s sexy and the banter is top-notch.

Richard and Lainie are both talented stage actors appearing in the same play in the West End in London. Richard is very good looking and pretty
Book Riot Community
This book, man. THIS BOOK. It’s a love story set in the glamorous and wacky world of London’s West End. Elaine Graham, theatre’s new sweetheart, is bribed into pretending to date Richard Troy, a man whose antics have turned his nickname from Byron to Dickhead. She gets a sizable donation for her charity, he gets a salvaged reputation. Too bad they can’t be in each other’s presence for five minutes without insults starting to flow.

I’m sure you can guess where this leads.

This is an absolute deligh

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I read this book for the Unapologetic Romance Readers' New Years 2017 Reading Challenge. For more info about what this is, click here.

Carina's acquisitions team is seriously on point. Somehow they manage to find authors who can strike the perfect balance between trashy plots and smart writing - which, in case you were wondering, happens to be one of my favorite combinations, right up there with burgers and red wine and Jason Momoa and anyt
Susana

I LOVED this story so much!
I am so happy that I saw this book being discussed on Goodreads, because if not, I probably would never have read it. Also it helped that a couple of my bookish friends gave it high ratings :)
But what won me over (big time) was the Pride and Prejudice comparison : you see, Richard Troy aka, Mr. Darcy is such a sociable person when compared to me, really has a bit of a Darcy in him.
And who doesn't love a grouchy character falling helplessly in love?

From indifference t
Joanna Loves Reading
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cr
This was a very enjoyable listen! I could see a reread raising it to 5 stars, but I'll leave it here for now. I think the ending had a little to much action. Great slow-build romance!
Ira
This is a very funny story and I love it!
It should be an easy 5 stars read until, well the last two chapters before the epilogue.
I won't give you any spoilers but involved the heroine's sad excuse for an ex, I prefer she hammer his head than let him got away like that after the horrid thing he did!!

Anyway it was a very entertaining story and the wicked dialogues will give you plenty Lol moments:)
Oh this is a romantic comedy book and rather slow burn romance, so no, not erotica romance and I will
Lyuda
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary

If you are in the mood for a lighthearted, fun and entertaining CR read, don’t miss this story.

I’m a big fan of from enemies-to friends-to lovers’ trope. If it’s done well, readers are usually treated to delightfully entertaining dialog and witty banter. This novel is no exception.

British West End actor Richard Troy needs a public image boost as his recent escapades started to affect theater attendance and its financial outlook. And the theater management cooked up a perfect PR scheme: Richa
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
description

@LondonCelebrity Hot new couple alert! West Enders Richard Troy and Elaine Graham cuddle up…

This is a new Author to us and wow we fell in love with her writing, story and characters so we will be on the lookout for more, no question. This book is the essence of a British feel good romance set in London’s West End. It just ticked all the right boxes for a swoony and hilarious ride with moments of high emotion and drama. It would make THE most romantic comedy on the big screen and we’d be first in
Jacob Proffitt
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, romance, steamy
This is one of those books that you have to give their premise. In this case because it's kind of silly if you analyze it at all. I remember having to make the conscious choice just to roll with the first chapter or two. Fortunately, after that initial setup, this just takes off and provides some very engaging fun.

A lot of that is due to Lainie. She's kind and she's focused and you can see why it is that she has such a good-girl reputation beyond merely having a hand in some charities. Plus, she
Angie
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Almost every night, between nine and ten past, Lainie Graham passionately kissed her ex-boyfriend. She was then gruesomely dead by ten o'clock, stabbed through the neck by a jealous rival. If she was scheduled to perform in the weekend matinee, that was a minimum of six uncomfortable kisses a week. More, if the director called an extra rehearsal or the alternate actor was ill.

This one took me by surprise with its sincerity and charm. And with the unexpectedly lovely match its leading lady and ma
Suzanne
Loved this well written, smart, and witty romantic comedy! Can't wait to see what this author brings next.
Addie H
I am re-reading all my 5 star rated romance novels. There are 60 on my shelf. This is book 17.

(Tropes: Enemies to Lovers, Colleagues, Starched (hero) Gets Unstarched, Fake Relationship, Sickbed Vigilance)

This is how my 17th re-read held up.

**********
- “The public loves a mismatch. The bad boy redeemed by the company ingénue.”
**********

Quick summary: Good girl actress, Lainie Graham, is asked by her theatre production’s PR person to fake-date West End’s super talent and grumpy misanthrope, Ric
 ✨ Dianna ✨ (mylifeasannaidreading)

Act Like It gave me intense The Wall of Winnipeg and Me vibes mixed with Pride and Prejudice feels, with a really subtle hint of The Hating Game.

"Lainie smiled suddenly, and his heart actually thumped. He gritted his teeth and a muscle jumped in his jaw. He wanted to turn on his heel and walk away, like a fucking coward, and the impulse struck fiercely at his pride."

Okay. That might not be the most flattering quote from this book, well there weren't that many cheesy lines to start
Sharon
10000% exceeded expectations.

This is such cute romcom! It is really well-done with the classic tropes of “fake relationships” and “love-hate relationships.” It manages to be a perfect balance of sweet and thoughtful. Never too angsty or too silly. It’s just reallllllly good and enjoyable.

Here are some of my thoughts:
• I ADORE Lainie. She is a bubbly and assertive protagonist. I seriously appreciate that when she messes up and there are problems at the end, she does not give up and wallow. She fi
Melisa
Nov 01, 2017 added it
Shelves: romance
Well, my dog just ate my book so I guess I’m putting this one on pause until I can replace it🙈
Unapologetic Roma...: Parker, Lucy // Act Like It 50 42 Jun 09, 2017 05:06PM
  • A Wish Upon Jasmine (La Vie en Roses, #2)
  • Artistic License
  • Level Up (Fandom Hearts #1)
  • Trade Me (Cyclone, #1)
  • Pairing Off (Red Hot Russians, #1)
  • The Story Guy
  • Apples Should Be Red
  • The One In My Heart
  • Her Best Worst Mistake (Elizabeth and Violet #2)
  • A Bollywood Affair (Bollywood)
  • A Lily Among Thorns
  • Truly (New York, #1)
  • The Trouble with Love  (Sex, Love & Stiletto, #4)
  • Party Lines (The Easy Part, #3)
Lucy Parker lives in New Zealand, where she feels lucky every day to look out at mountains, lakes, and vineyards. She has a degree in Art History, loves museums and art galleries, and doodles unrecognizable flowers when she has writer’s block.

When she’s not writing, working or sleeping, she happily tackles the towering pile of to-be-read books that never gets any smaller. Thankfully, there’s alwa
More about Lucy Parker

London Celebrities (4 books)
  • Pretty Face (London Celebrities, #2)
  • Making Up (London Celebrities, #3)
  • The Austen Playbook (London Celebrities #4)

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hearts at Seaside (Sweet with Heat: Seaside Summers #3)
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Room Mate (Roommates, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Forgiving Hour
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Bright Side (Bright Side, #1)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Chasing I Do (The Eastons #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • That Month in Tuscany
    $6.99 $2.49
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Ghosted
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Billionaire's Final Stand (Billionaire Bachelors, #7)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blackmailing the Billionaire (Billionaire Bachelors, #5)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire Falls (Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Runaway Heiress (Billionaire Bachelors, #6)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Treading Water (Treading Water, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Life Next Door (Love Not Included Book 3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Undeniable Love (Journey Of Love Book 2)
  • Bittersweet
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mr. Perfect (Mister, #1)
  • Made for You
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Journey Home
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgettable Love (Journey of Love Book 3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Dear Aaron
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“My personality has not once altered under outside influence." "Then I'm genuinely appalled, and your childhood nannies have my intense sympathy. You've got a bit of a nerve, don't you think, accusing other people of vanity? You make Mr. Darcy look like the poster child for low self-esteem.” 11 likes
“Christ, we've only been here for five minutes. It's like being stuck in the Tardis. Time has lost all meaning." He turned away to ditch his cocktail glass, thus missing Lainie's gobsmacked expression. A Doctor Who reference from her second-least-favorite person? Wonders never ceased.” 8 likes