Start by marking “Talk to Me (Protector, #1)” as Want to Read:
Talk to Me (Protector, #1)

Talk to Me

(Protector #1)

Emily Simon is a good listener. Maybe a little too good. As a professional counselor who's been unintentionally clocking hours after work with her advice-seeking friends, Emily decides it's time to hang up the counselor hat when she's out of the office and make something happen in her own life. She has just two rules: No men with emotional baggage and no risk takers.
Kindle Edition, New edition with epilogue, 328 pages
Published June 16th 2015 (first published June 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Talk to Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Talk to Me

Start your review of Talk to Me (Protector, #1)
CC
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Brenda Rothert
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best debut novels I've ever read. The author pulled me in and didn't let go until the last page. Her ability to bring together multiple storylines so seamlessly blew me away. With quick, witty dialogue and a real-life hero (who is a cop, rawr!), I hated to put this book down. I'm so glad it's the first in a series! More please, Stephanie Reid!
Victoria
3.5 RATING- a pretty good story especially for a freebie. Wordy at times. I admit to skimming some of the monologues but enjoyed the overall story. Lower steam than I usually read. The book really needed an epilogue.

I would read this author again but another title wouldn't be at the top of my TBR list.
Janett The Pleasure of Reading Today

Bryan AKA Mac, a police officer, is a man fighting the demons of an incident that happened during a robbery where a teenage boy died. His partner seems to think that his sister Emily is what Mac needs to not only help him battle those demons for good but also to perhaps start a relationship.

Emily is a counselor who's always present not only for her patients, but for her family and friends as well. She lives a content life but something is definitely missing. When she decides to start
Terry
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

Emily is a counsellor and her older brother, Sean, is a cop. Their parents died when Emily graduated high school, so she has commitment issues; she refuses to date a cop because not only will she have to fear for her brother, but she'll have to fear for her partner, too.

In comes Bryan "Mac" McAvoy, a fellow police officer and friend to Sean. Mac and Emily meet at Starbucks and are later introduced formally by Sean
Carrie
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so fortunate to beta read this gem awhile back. One of the things that impressed me the most was just how many layers there was to the story. There was romance, mystery, drama, and some very funny moments. And there were several twists that I didn't see coming. Amazing debut novel. Can't wait to read more of her work.
BethyMac
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014

***Complimentary copy provided by author / publisher for an honest review***

Talk to Me by Stephanie Reid is a really sweet romantic read with just the right amount of angst thrown in. Emily Simon is asked by her brother to help his good friend and fellow cop, Bryan McAvoy (a.k.a Mac) who is still not dealing well even a year later after with an incident he was responsible for shooting and killing a young boy who was robbing a convenience store. In order to try to get them together, he invites bo
Freya Barker
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's been a while since I've discovered a new (to me) author I know, within the first few chapters, I'll end up reading whatever other books he/she has written.
I've already fallen for Ms. Reid's style and characterizations.
The main characters in this book are both tentative in their approach, because of their own hang-ups. Each has chosen to narrow their views on a future, for very understandable reasons. However, it would appear karma would like a say in that. There is so much conne
Joanne T
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange an honest review.

First and foremost, I was blown away when I realized this was Stephanie Reid’s debut. I read at least 5 books a week and I kept reminding myself that this was her first published work. The writing style is phenomenal; the story flows nicely. There is romance, mystery, humour, great character development and a few unexpected twists.

I loved Mac and Emily. They were strong, level-headed characters. Eve
Danna Iuliana
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-faves
This was a great read for me. Love the characters and the whole plot. I always care more ab the Hero's story and I rarely find a heroine that I like. It is so refreshing for me to read ab a female character that is strong and fights for what she wants. I hate the fake, forced drama where the heroine jumps to conclusions, doesn t let the hero talk or explain , bla, bla. There was no such dumbness here. Emily was a cool character, once she put her fears away she fought and didn t give up on her ma ...more
Diamond Drake
Talk to Me was a nice, sweet story. I found it enjoyable, although slow in some places. The writing was good and the characters likeable. I guess the reason I wouldn't rate it more than 3.5 stars is because I liked it but I didn't love it. I never felt as if I HAD to keep reading it. I hate to say that because it really was a well written book but Talk to Me just didn't grab me as much as I'd hoped.

As always, these are merely my opinions and not all readers will share them.

LAKristy
Very well written with just a couple editing issues. This is a stand-alone story with no cliffhanger.

I really enjoyed this story about a cop and a therapist who are successful in their jobs but have some difficulty navigating relationships. Not only were the main characters believable, but the secondary characters were really well written and added depth to the story. The story was richly textured with humor, tragedy, and a little suspense, along with some heat.

Strongly recommended.
Sassy Southern Book Affair
Emily listens to others all day long. Even her friends but she never has anyone to open up to. When her brother wants her to help Mac, she won't. However, there is a pull between these two. She tries to stay away. She has her own issues but things happen. These two are forced together and become fast friends and learn from each other. I enjoyed reading this one.

~Jade
Lacey Black
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great debut! A friend recommended this book to me and I'm so glad she did! I loved Mac and Emily's story! Can't wait to check out the others!!
Karla
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nitzan Schwarz

A solid romance.
Andrea Roberts
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book from start to finish superb read made me want to read the next one loved mac and emily would recommend it as a brilliant book worth every star
Sandra Lopez
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Emily Simon is a pro at reading body language. Well, she would have to be in her line of work, which is counseling and therapy. One day, her brother rooks her into counseling a police officer friend with possible PTSD. Turns out he was the hottie she spotted at the coffee shop. Oh, boy!

To Emily’s refusal, her brother and sister-in-law, nonetheless, believe she’s the one that will get Mac to open up about what happened during the hostage situation. Not sure if you can do that by dati
Laurie Baker
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Talk to me

I really liked this book. The writing style was different for me and took a little bit of time to get used to. Mac and Emily had great chemistry, even though it started off a little rough with her rule to not date cops. The mystery aspect was also a good curveball in the story. Solid 4 star read
Angi
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Wow

This book kept me sucked in. I couldn't put it down until I finished it. The characters were layered, each coming to grips with their pasts. I will definitely be continuing this series!
Nicky
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this debut novel. The storyline is really good, the characters are well-developed and Mac and Emily make for a great love match. I look forward to the next books in this series. Well done.
Laurie Larsen
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! My first time reading this author and I will definitely read Book 2! Next on my Kindle! :)
Patti K
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. I received an ARC of this book for an honest review.

There were a lot of things to like about this story and I'm looking forward to reading more from Stephanie Reid. Her style appeals to me and I wouldn't have guessed this was her first published novel if I didn't know it to be true. Certainly I've read more seasoned work that didn't come close to this level.

The high points for me? There were several twists that I thought helped make the story more powerful and
Reflection
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** 4.5 stars ***

If you are looking for a romantic novel with just enough angst thrown in to keep it from being too sickly sweet, then this story comes highly recommended. 'Talk to Me' is a remarkably clever book following main characters Emily and Mac it has all kinds of twists and turns, as both of them come to separate conclusions that a relationship should not be on the cards, however fate seems to conspire against their best laid plans.

It would be fair say that I lik
Ann O'Nymos
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very well written story, didn't feel like a debut. It goes by the recipe for a good book:
Main character: lovable but with issues meets opposite sex handsome character (with issues). Reader knows they are made for each other, but the characters don't believe it. There is some dancing around the obvious until they finally come together. But of course, there has to be some misunderstanding and they think they are too good to be true for each other. But love concurs.

This sounds very b
Jo-Anne
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, arc
I received a complementary copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Bryan "Mac" McAvoy is a cop who can't forgive himself for shooting a teenager during a robbery. His best friend, Sean, is also a cop and is worried about him. Sean sets up a date between his sister, Emily, and Mac thinking that Emily can help him work through his demons since she is an experienced counselor. He also hopes they will connect and start to date.

I really liked this story with all it'
Becky
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as an ARC for an honest review from the author.

I loved this book! It was well written, paced nicely, and had just enough heat and mystery to keep me interested. It was a great read.

I really love Emily and Mac. They were great characters that I felt were relateable and believable. Emily's brother and some of the other secondary type characters are great. They add to the story with out over powering it.

Emily is a counselor who has closed herself off from the world after her
David Savage
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Talk To Me by Stephanie Reid is the first book in the Protector Series.

Emily Simon is a counsellor who has worked so hard she hasn’t had time to focus on her own life. She decides to try internet dating and has only 2 rules: no men with emotional baggage and no risk takers.

Her brother, Sean, is a cop and when his partner, Mac, is involved in a fatal shooting of a teenage boy he tries to get Emily to help him out by trying to set them up on a date. But with his emotional b
Geetanjali
As far as books in this genre go,Talk To Me is quite well edited and written well for a first book.

This was a good read but not a compelling one.I am finding it difficult to pinpoint what exactly was the problem here because I liked the main characters who were fleshed out and were quite level headed for the most part,which is a rare quality to be found in the protagonists of contemporary romance stories.The plot was very good with elements of mystery,danger and romance,which itself
Kelly Mccurdy
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
~~I received this in exchange for an honest review~~

This is the first book that I have read by Stephanie. This book grabbed my attention from the blurb alone. In life you have to make some of the hardest decisions. As a cop, you have to make even harder ones. So as a cop, you make a decision, and you stick with that decision, then ask and ponder later. Until it eats at you. after a while, you start to lose your edge. Then your friends step in and meddle with your life. But some time
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Making Connections: 3408. - TALK TO ME by Stephanie Reid 47 148 Oct 23, 2015 06:31AM
Read 4 Review: R4R Talk to Me - Contemporary Romance 19 54 Dec 30, 2014 06:31PM
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Duplicate books needing to be combined 6 29 Jul 01, 2014 10:12AM

• Demon Marked (Demon Bound, #2)
  • Lost and Found
  • Limits
  • With Love in Sight (Twice Shy, #1)
  • All I Have (A Farmers' Market Story, #1)
  • The Covert Wolf (Phoenix Force, #1)
  • The Catalyst (Preternaturals, #3)
  • The Virgin's Revenge (Rancho del Cielo, #4)
  • Drain Me
  • Yesterday's Tomorrows
  • Untouched (Silver Creek, #2)
  • Make Me Crazy (Loco, Texas, #2)
  • Reckless River (Men of Mercy, #3)
  • Crossfire of Love
  • Angel with Attitude
  • Justin (Tales of the Shareem, #6)
  • Irish Rogue (McCullough Mountain, #3)
  • Anything but a Gentleman (Rescued from Ruin, #7)
Stephanie Reid writes contemporary romances with heart, humor, and a happily ever after. She holds a master’s degree in human development counseling and enjoys using counseling theories on her fictional characters (and from time to time her husband).

Born and raised in the Chicago suburbs, Stephanie now resides with her husband and their three children in central Illinois.

Protector (3 books)
  • Trust in Me (Protector, #2)
  • Burn for You (Protector, #3)
“That was the thing about grief. It wasn’t something you worked through once. It was something you worked through over and over again. The effects of losing someone lasted a lifetime.” 1 likes