Start by marking “Fallen (Tales of Noreela, #4)” as Want to Read:
Fallen (Tales of Noreela, #4)

Fallen (Tales of Noreela #4)

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  237 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
From award-winning author Tim Lebbon comes this harrowing tale of an epic journey, crossing the forbidden boundary separating us from all we fear the most.…
To the unknown corners of Noreela, the Voyagers have traveled, returning with fantastic tales of their journeys and discoveries. But no one has ever returned from the Great Divide: a sheer cliff soaring miles above the
Published April 29th 2008 by Spectra (Bantam) (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Fallen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fallen

Jason
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, read-2012
5 Stars

I am a huge Tim Lebbon fan. Not only is he a great horror Author, with this book he has proven to me that he can write amazing dark fantasy. I really enjoyed the Dusk/Dawn duology, and as a result wanted to seek out more from Lebbon. This book is set in the same world as the duology, only it takes place more than one thousand years earlier. Fallen is similar in that it is a dark and adult oriented fantasy that is not really suitable for the young adult crowd.

The plot of this book is a sim
Mark
Feb 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Award-winning writer Tim Lebbon’s latest visit to the world of Noreela (his fourth novel) is an interesting one, in that, like the recent After the War, it is a prequel to the best selling books DAWN and DUSK.

It is also a different style of novel to DUSK/DAWN, being a Fantasy quest-archaeological novel – a sort of Indiana Jones meets The Twilight Zone type story. In my opinion, it’s gripping stuff.

The story’s pretty straightforward – in the earlier expansionist days of Noreela, a discovery of ma
Lori
Aug 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, horror
I came across Fallen by Tim Lebbon pretty randomly, just browsing the 'new release' section at my local library. I was sort of between books, in that the three I had been reading off and on for a while had lost my interest and the book I had put on hold hadn't come in yet, so I decided to check it out and give it a read. Fallen is a stand-alone book, and something of a prequel to Lebbon's Dusk and Dawn. Although all three are set in the world of Noreela, the events in Fallen take place long befo ...more
Rodolfo
Feb 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I really liked this book. So far this is my favorite Lebbon book. I like Dusk/Dawn, but this is the one I liked best. Even better than Berserk. This book made me want to know more about Noreela and the people/Gods that live there. The whole book is tragic. There arent really any hero's. Just people. I like that. There isnt really anyone in the book that you would want to be. If you were you would have to take the good with the bad and their is plenty of bad for each charter.

I want more stories
Amanda
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed, own-a-copy
Not for me. I could not engage with the writing style. I gave up after a few chapters.
Dave
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
This one was a bit of a plodder. The first Lebbon book I've been disappointed with. It had a pretty good finish, though.
Hayley
Overall, I enjoyed this book. It's dark and gritty and mysterious, exactly what it said it would be. A quote on the back cover said "If there was ever a natural successor to HP Lovecraft, Tim Lebbon has to be it." and I could certainly see the Lovecraftian influences coming through.

But I can only rate it three stars. The characters were great, diverse, mysterious, and their complex relationships and histories made for interesting. The general plot line was easy enough to follow - a group of peo
Alan Baxter
Jan 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: dark-fantasy, horror
This is a very well-written and engaging dark fantasy. Great setting, good world-building and pretty solid characters. For the most part I really enjoyed, but a few niggles knock this down to a three star book. I would give it two and a half if I could.

For example, there was a distinct over-emphasis on what the party ate on their travels with a strange obsession with herbs and spices. More fine detail in the world-building, perhaps, but it struck me as out of place.

But the real problem for me
Traummachine
Mar 30, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5 stars:

This is set in a distant past of the other 3 Noreela books, where the known world is small, superstition abounds, and a huge physical barrier separates the northern tip of the continent from the rest. Our heroes have no idea what lies at the top of the miles-high cliff face, but they have a map...

The book starts a little slowly, but Lebbon spends this time developing the complex relationships of the group. He does a great job, especially for an author who primarily writes horror. As th
Sylvia Marquez
May 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Lebbon has this way of making you feel like you can see and smell what the characters are experiencing. I met huge insects, birds resembling bats, and as big as people. Friends who are no worse than enemies. This book is full of mythical creatures that you must meet for yourself to get a feel for this land. I imagined the soldiers hired to accompany the voyagers looked somewhat like they stepped out of Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, minus the road/flying vehicles. Events occurred in ways that you w ...more
Sandy Lender
Jun 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy readers
In the fantasy novel Fallen, Tim Lebbon tells a great story that I felt compelled to keep reading long after I'd grown unhappy with the characters. To be honest, I wanted them all to die. Unfortunately, that would have left no one to propel a truly interesting story forward. And Lebbon is such a good story-teller that I wanted to see how Fallen would end. A group of money-driven and fame-driven characters go through an intricate and detailed journey in a world of dangers and double-crossers to g ...more
Pavlo Tverdokhlib
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Another solid entry into the Noreela world.

The story takes place way before the events of "Dusk". it sheds some light onto one of the places in "Dusk-Dawn" is as important as it is.

The book has pretty good pacing. Lebbon's description of the weird, dark and dangerous world of Noreela is superb as always. The plot starts out as a very typical questing story, but it very quickly takes a much darker turn. The characters, whose history and motivations are revealed slowly, are all kids of messed up
Richard Wright
Nov 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third Noreela book, I think, set a considerable time before the Dusk/Dawn duology. I had a mixed experience with that story, but not this one - it's a fantastic, thrilling story. Lebbon has firmly established his world of Noreela now, and feels a lot more comfortable. It feels like a place, where before it felt like an impressive invention, and the warring explorers Nomi and Ramus are a gripping pair as they race for the greatest, most terrifying discovery in their world's history. Their riv ...more
Lorinda
Apr 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Remus is a voyager,(explorer, adventurer, mapmaker and scholar) he also has a sickness growing in his head and has been told it will kill him. His friend Nomi and fellow voyager has asked him to partner her in the greatest voyage imaginable, to the Great Divide. Here follows a story of unrequited love, friendship, betrayal,competition, tragedy and pain.
I liked this story as a bit of a change from recent diet of mostly YA. This is a much more grown up story demonstrating the worst in humankind an
Nathan
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two explorers in an iron-age level society (one of them can't read!) gather a group of warriors and go seeking to climb an unclimbable cliff of legend. They find more than they bargain for, and that's even before they get to the base of the thing.

This was a surprisingly tense book for something so apparently light. It lost its way a little at around the 3/4 mark, but up til then it was solid indeed. The two main characters (and the secondary warriors) are starkly drawn with much hinted at rathe
Phoenix
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
I'll write a better review on the computer; I'm currently on the phone app. I thoroughly enjoyed Fallen, although the end was very abrupt and I felt empty once it was over. I definitely want more, despite the questionable plausibility of some actions; it's fiction, so I allow some implausibility within actions. That's what makes fiction fun after all. I'll definitely be looking for more Tim Lebbon works!
Sean
Feb 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Jeanne
Jan 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
The author's writing style was easy to read and engaging and that's about the only nice thing I have to say. His characters were flat and uninteresting....and the ending. Wow, the ending. Just couldn't do any better than that? Really? I'd look for the monkeys with typewriters for a spot of help next time. If I could give this book negative stars, I would.
Kerry
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Published 2008. Right up until the ending I thought it was a pretty decent novel. The characters are well written and the author's style conducive to easy reading. Lost me at the conclusion though. I felt it didn't do the rest of the story justice. There are other novels in the Nareela series as this is actually fourth out of five. Haven't decided if I want to try any of the others.
William Crosby
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Voyagers" are people who visit new, rarely visited, or undiscovered lands. They have a personal compulsion to go exploring.

Nobody comes back from the Great Divide, so two voyagers go to investigate with a team of warriors.

Along the way, we learn about their relationship, what is at the Great Divide, and remnants of a long forgotten ancient history.

Deception is a theme in this story.
Azn
Nov 02, 2012 rated it liked it
I read this books many years ago when I was still a teenager, and I remembered liking it. The story started out fine, typical heroes on a quest, then when they got to their destination, it got really weird. The ending is utterly disappointing and I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be the first book in a trilogy, but needless to say I was very underwhelmed. 5/10
Kelly Flanagan
Apr 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good book.I really enjoyed the premise of the story.This is the first book by Tim Lebbon I have read, but I doubt the last. I enjoyed his writing style, and his characters are full and easily believable.
Linda Kimpton
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story. Original, intriguing, epic. Lebbon creates an entire world, cultures, their histories and beliefs, and makes you care about what happens to his multidimensional characters. It's the first book I've read by Tim Lebbon, it will not be the last.
Timmy Naces
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
It's kinda boring
Ruby Ridge
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
A less confusing ending would have raised this to 5 stara
Daniel
Jun 20, 2010 added it
I read this some time ago and completely forgor that I had read it untill I borrowed it from the library. I guess that means that it wasn't really all that exciting.
Liesl
Dec 02, 2008 rated it liked it
This one was definitely different and took me longer than normal to read. To use my daughter's term - meh. Didn't really dislike it, but certainly didn't love it either.
Jason
May 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Solid 3 star book. Good writing, but seemed to take ages for anything to happen. Not my favorite book by this author but still better than a lot of shitty fantasy books.
Kyra Dune
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic. Great story, great characters, engrossing, entertaining, all around excellent. And the ending... WOW.
Rob
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Adventure, discovery, myth, gods and hero's all rolled into one. Bring on more tales from Noreela!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Bone Song (Tristopolis, #1)
  • Who Fears The Devil
  • Bloodhoney (Wyrmeweald, #2)
  • Silverheart
  • Dark Nights, Dark Dreams (Sisterhood of the Sight, #1)
  • Shadow Queen (The Binding, #1)
  • Scar Night (Deepgate Codex, #1)
  • Leyla's Locket (Sera Chronicles, #1)
  • Blackhearts: The Omnibus
  • Blood Prophecy
  • Glass Dragons
  • Wrath of the Lemming Men (Chronicles of Isambard Smith, #3)
  • Dead Kiss
  • Servant of a Dark God
  • Slan Hunter (Slan, #2)
  • Shadow and Betrayal (Long Price Quartet, #1-2)
  • Hell Train
  • The Stormcaller (Twilight Reign, #1)
I love writing, reading, triathlon, real ale, chocolate, good movies, occasional bad movies, and cake.

I was born in London in 1969, lived in Devon until I was eight, and the next twenty years were spent in Newport. My wife Tracey and I then did a Good Thing and moved back to the country, and we now live in the little village of Goytre in Monmouthshire with our kids Ellie and Daniel. And our dog,
More about Tim Lebbon...

Tales of Noreela (5 books)
  • Dusk (Tales of Noreela, #1)
  • Dawn (Tales of Noreela, #2)
  • After the War: Two Tales of Noreela
  • The Island (Tales of Noreela, #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
  • Tales of the Hidden World
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Voyaging great distances – through forests, from island to island, across plains and into the mountains – is all about finding ourselves.” 2 likes
“Humans crave knowledge, and when that craving ends, we are no longer human.” 1 likes