Start by marking “Breaking Measures” as Want to Read:
Breaking Measures

Breaking Measures

A life built on lies…

On the fast track to international success, acclaimed concert pianist Leila Cates is close to achieving her dreams. But her path to certain stardom comes to a crashing halt when the body of her boyfriend, a world-renowned conductor, is discovered on the eve of her New York debut. When rumors about their relationship surface, Leila quickly becomes the p
Kindle Edition
Published September 24th 2015 by Mandorla Publishing (first published September 18th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Breaking Measures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking Measures

Tricia
Sep 13, 2015 Tricia rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with Emma’s writing in her YA fantasy, the Ondine Quartet, I was instantly swept away in her enchanting ability to immerse you in such a magical world with it’s captivating inhabitants. Reading Breaking Measures was a completely different experience, and even though there was no magic in the storyline, it still felt weaved throughout the entire story. The writing was hauntingly beautiful, every description was cultivated with such care. The music and it’s instruments felt like liv ...more
Booknut
'Something remains in the silence after a performance.
It echoes between the seats, winding through aisles and rows, whispering as it returns to the front of the hall.
The stage remembers.
Its polished floor pulses with the heartbeat of every musician who has crossed it and holds within its infinite memory that which murmurs endlessly in silence.
Power.
The same power pulsating in the thick blood now flowing across the pale wood and pooling around the podium. This sacred ground siphons away an a
Samantha
Jun 18, 2015 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary, adult
4.5*
Watch the Trailer!

As soon as I heard Emma Raveling was releasing a prequel to another work in the making, I got extremely excited.

She is one of those rare writers that have an incredible talent with words that simply sweep you away with their lyrical descriptions. When I found out this was to be a contemporary novel, I was in two minds. Mostly because I was afraid that there would be a lack of imaginative story telling and leave me wanting.Could it really live up to her other work?

Any fear
Heather
Sep 19, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing
Hello Everyone! I was given an ARC of Breaking Measures and asked for an honest review.

I fell in love with Emma Raveling's style of writing in her YA series, Ondine Quartet, that features a certain kick-ass heroine who always tries to do the right thing. Breaking Measures is Emma's first adult novella and she did such a wonderful job! The words flow smoothly and I swear I could feel the same emotions that music stirs inside of you when you listen to it which only increased what emotions I felt w
Lindsay
Sep 11, 2015 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, suspense
I was given an ARC, and asked for my honest opinion, knowing that this is Emma Raveling's first crack at writing an adult novella, I was excited to begin with. I am very pleased to say that it doesn't disappoint, it was a thrilling mystery that had me guessing until the door was opened. What I can say is that if you enjoy a mystery/suspense novel this is for you!
Pia
This book is the perfect example that sometimes, less is more. Less than 175 pages, it's the prequel to a book titled A Woven Silence (which I hope will be published real soon as I can't find more info about it).

Meet Leila Cates. A rich, pretty and successful concert pianist on the eve of her NY debut who after finding her boyfriend, the conductor, dead, is the principal suspect.

Leila has dedicated her entire life to music, and she is on the verge of losing it too. Teaming up with the police de
E.J. Mellow
Jul 30, 2015 E.J. Mellow rated it it was amazing
A gritty whirlwind story that matches the tempo of the city it's set in. Emma Raveling does it again! This prequel novella to A Woven Silence left me as all her works do—greedy for more.
Melanie
Sep 21, 2015 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ry-2015, read-in-2015
Review posted here...http://bookpassionforlife.blogspot.co...
Who doesn’t love a good murder mystery filled with suspense? Well that’s exactly what you are getting with Breaking Measures…. And it’s soooo good!
We have an extremely talented pianist in our heroine – Leila Cates – and she is on the verge of huge success. Unfortunately she stumbles across her boyfriend in the act of the ultimate betrayal and it sends her into a tail spin. What should be the most important week of her life turns out to
Fictionophile
From the tender age of three, Leila has known that she was destined to be pianist. Born to wealthy and influential parents she is guided every step of the way toward what she feels is her hard sought for destiny - to be a star solo pianist. Practicing eight hours per day she feels she deserves everything she has attained. A recent graduate of the infamous Juilliard School of Music and in a three year relationship with Carlo, a star Italian conductor, Leila's life is a bed of roses... or is it? W ...more
Petra
Leila Cates, a concert pianist about to make her big break, ends up being the prime suspect in her boy-friend's murder and sets out to prove her innocence with the unlikely aid of Orion Frazier, one of the detectives on the case.
Breaking Measures is the prequel novella to Emma Raveling's forthcoming novel A Woven Silence. As such, it was a very quick read, but provided an excellent introduction to Leila Cates and her privileged upbringing and messed up family. I found the setting in the classica
Emma Raveling
Sep 15, 2015 Emma Raveling added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Yay - Breaking Measures is now available!

Amazon —> http://smarturl.it/bmAZ?IQid=fb

Barnes & Noble —> http://smarturl.it/bmBN?IQid=fb

iBookstore —> http://smarturl.it/bmIB?IQid=fb

Kobo —> http://smarturl.it/bmKB?IQid=fb
Jennifer D
The first time I ever read anything by Emma Raveling was while she was just at the beginning stages of her Ondine Quartet series (pretty sure it was book 1). Little did I know, Ondine Quartet would become one of my all time favorite series. You know, the ones where no matter what you’ll always come back to and re-read because the story is just that amazing! When Ondine Quartet ended, I didn’t know what to do with myself. I was a wreck, an emotional hot mess…you name it, that was me.

When Emma dec
Rachel Sherrell
Jan 06, 2016 Rachel Sherrell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll start out by saying this isn't my "usual" type of novel. I enjoy character development which you don't tend to get in stories of this length - that was not the case with Breaking Measures though.

I particularly like mysteries where you just cannot predict the ending ahead of time and, in that regard, I was not disappointed. I never would have guessed the killer ahead of time - they weren't even on my list of mental suspects!

I felt that Leila's character was well developed and the story kep
Terri
Jan 02, 2016 Terri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It had me on the edge of my seat at some times and at other times, I was going thru my head wondering who done it! This book is well written and holds lots of thrills, suspense and drama. This turned out to be a great mystery in my opinion. I was glad to see a happy ending too.

The author, Emma Raveling did a great job writing this book. The material is original. As hard as I tried to guess who the killer was, I was wrong every time. The main character Leila Cates was in lots
Aziza
Mar 26, 2016 Aziza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another captivating book written by Emma :)

Full of mystery, you won't be able to put it down!
Hanca13
Hanca13 rated it it was ok
Apr 02, 2016
J.
J. rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
lakehermit
lakehermit rated it did not like it
Jun 12, 2016
Gail Baugniet
Gail Baugniet rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2016
Jessica Allen
Jessica Allen rated it really liked it
May 31, 2016
Monica  Duringer
Monica Duringer rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2017
Marisa Oldham
Marisa Oldham rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Tagni McRae
Tagni McRae rated it really liked it
Dennis
Dennis rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
Nina
Nina rated it it was amazing
Katya
Katya rated it it was amazing
Rebecca Roberts
Mar 13, 2016 Rebecca Roberts rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Flocharda
Flocharda marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Sitahiri
Sitahiri marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
AKA
AKA marked it as to-read
Hanca13
Hanca13 marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Harriet
Harriet marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Katya
Katya marked it as to-read
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Scorpeyna  Blue
Scorpeyna Blue marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Zimt
Zimt marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Tamlyn
Tamlyn marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Beatrice Chew
Beatrice Chew marked it as to-read
Lydia Karla
Lydia Karla marked it as to-read
Sam Miller
Sam Miller marked it as to-read
Sandy (WI girl at heart)
Sandy (WI girl at heart) marked it as to-read
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
The Grim Reaper
The Grim Reaper marked it as to-read
Bidemi
Bidemi marked it as to-read
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
fondest
fondest marked it as to-read
Narya
Narya marked it as to-read
Shaymae
Shaymae marked it as to-read
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Aminah G
Aminah G marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
  • Tick (Tick, #1)
  • Bound by Spells (Bound, #2)
  • Silence (Faces of Evil, #0.5)
  • Seven Ways to Die
  • The Dreamcatcher (Dreamland #1.5)
  • Glitch (Lost in Time #1)
  • The Medici Letters: The Secret Origins of the Renaissance
  • Impulse (Southern Arcana, #5)
  • Float (The Chronicles of D.E.A.D. High, #1)
  • Digging Up Bones (Birdwell, Texas Mysteries #1)
  • When Faults Collide (Faultlines #1)
  • The Black Witch (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • Of Beauty and Darkness (Reapers Grimm, #1)
  • Going Thru Hell
  • Disturbing Behaviour
  • Shame the Stars
  • Home of the Dead (Home of the Dead, #1)
  • Going Down in Flames (Going Down in Flames, #1)
Emma Raveling resides in Honolulu with her husband and German shepherd.
More about Emma Raveling...

“To stand on stage means to have arrogance. Faith! You must believe in it."
"In what?"
"In the audience. If you succeed, they will love you like never before. If you fail, the audience will hate you at first. But," he lifted his index finger, "they will still love you because you had the courage to sacrifice yourself for art. Respect, you see. If you play from fear," he shrugged, "you have lost them before you have even begun.”
5 likes
“The ground shifted again into an ocean of unknowns, a dark current yanking at a fundamental law she'd forgotten: there was no truth without a lie.” 3 likes