Start by marking “Speak, Lord: Hearing Psalms in the First Person” as Want to Read:
Speak, Lord: Hearing Psalms in the First Person

Speak, Lord: Hearing Psalms in the First Person

“I am your shepherd. You have no need of anything, because I am all you need.”

Do you ever wish God would speak directly to you? The Psalms are filled with the heart cry of a man for his God. But they are also overflowing with the depths of God’s heart for you.

In Speak, Lord, you will learn how to engage with the Psalms in a fresh, dynamic way—hearing them as though God wer
Published June 18th 2015 by NavPress

To ask other readers questions about Speak, Lord, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speak, Lord

Hilary
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It took me a long time to read this because this isn't a "reading" book. It's a book that inspires thoughtful reflection as you read and engage with the Psalms. Each of the 19 chapters features a Psalm, first in the normal form and then rewritten as if God were speaking the words to you. And that's the key: that we're to listen to God's voice. Ideally you would then time to meditate and write your own version; I haven't done this yet, but I think it would be a wonderful way to study the Psalms i ...more
Michele Morin
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
First Person, Singular
I’ve spent the past six months either reading in or teaching from the psalms, but Vic Black has introduced an approach to the psalms that is not only new but also energizing, providing a richer, deeper taste of God’s presence in His Words. Vic’s book, Speak, Lord begs the question: “Why haven’t I thought of this before?”

Vic Black, National Prayer Director for the Navigators, invites his readers to hear the psalms in the first person, with God as the speaker and the believer
A.C. Cuddy
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
““I am your shepherd. You have no need of anything, because I am all you need.”
Do you ever wish that God would speak directly to you? The Psalms are filled with the heart-cry of a man for his God. But they are also overflowing with the depths of God’s heart for you.

In Speak, Lord you will learn how to engage with the Psalms in a fresh, dynamic way - hearing them as though God were speaking directly to you. Vic Black, the National Prayer Director for The Navigators, shares his passion to ignite y
Jeanie
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lord, what would it sound like if You spoke this psalm to me personally?

Speak Lord takes 19 different chapters of Psalms and redirects you to listen personally to the voice of God. This is not an attempt to re-write scripture which I am always wary about when reading a type of book like this. It keeps with the integrity of the word while opening your heart to God revealing himself to you. It is an encouragement for you to enjoy God and to expose you to how much God enjoys you.

The layout of each
Keng-sheng Chew
Jul 31, 2015 rated it liked it
To begin with, I am now not a big fan of devotional books, especially those that have a mixture of anecdotal accounts with theological accounts. But the strength of this book by Vic Black is that there are a lot of interactive features that invite the readers to experience the Psalms themselves. It is a 'to-do' book vs a 'to-read' book. As the author says:
"I would encourage you to live in one psalm for a period of time. The objective is not speed. I would not encourage you to try to do one psalm
Renee
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Speak Lord by Vic Black is a book that provides the reader the opportunity to experience the Bible's Psalms personally. The author writes the Psalms so the reader can read/hear them in the First person narrative, making their message more direct and meaningful. The messages relayed in this book are strong, vibrant and motivational!
Brandon Wilson