Start by marking “Black Canary #1” as Want to Read:
Black Canary #1

Black Canary #1

(Black Canary (2015) #1)

Dinah Lance hits the road! After years as a soldier and vigilante, the LAST place Dinah saw herself is on stage…but she’s quickly learning she’d die to protect the gang of misfits she’s fallen into. And she just might have to—for some reason, the newly rechristened band, "Black Canary," seems to be a magnet for trouble…and Dinah’s not gonna believe it when she finds out th ...more
Published June 17th 2015 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Black Canary #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Canary #1

Crystal Starr Light
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Bullet Review:

This was fun - even if I have no clue how Dinah ended up in a band. Almost gives me Jem and the Hologram vibes - 80's nostalgia is never a bad thing!
Ashley Brooks
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: single-issues
3.5
This is a really interesting take on Black Canary. Dinah joins a band and during every show, things end up getting a bit...out of hand. She's trashed most of the venues they've played at and now there are monsters showing up. Keeping her past from her new band mates is no longer an option, so she sets out to train them while her secrets unravel.
Alexa
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
I definitely didn't expect to enjoy Black Canary as much as I did! Combining the story of a band on tour and some really "special" individuals, I've gotta say - I was pretty hooked.
Meg
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Black Canary #1, which I had heard about and seen posters for throughout the comic book shop. I had known this was coming. However the cover was what got me right away. It’s everyone’s favorite, Dinah Lance, holding a microphone, in all leather and fishnets, with black makeup, and this great don’t mess with me face on. I knew right away I needed to read this.

Now be warned Arrow fans, this is not the Dinah Lance/ Black Canary that you have grown to love on the show. She is someone completely dif
Arturo
Jun 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: issue-1
This isn't you JLA/Birds of Prey/Green Arrow type of comic. This for a new reader, or someone looking for something different. Hey, maybe your in a band or know someone in a band or just like the new environment. Then maybe it's just for you. But I didn't like it. I tried getting into a different mindset, since it had similarities to Scott Pilgrim, but nope, nothing interesting in the dialogue. The writing? Well..
Black Canary: "What do you want from me? Do you think I'm in the Justice League? I
Jwaria
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
THIS WAS SO GOOD.
The Sapphic Nerd
Jun 20, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a different twist to a superhero story. I like the art and the writing's decent. I'm curious about DD's past and whatever's going on with Ditto (one of the band members). I'd like to see where this goes.
Melisa Çakıroğlu
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
3,5
the story was okay, but it took so long for me to get used to the art of Black Canary #1
Jeanet Alessandra
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I'M IN LOVE. SLAY ME,DINAH.
Brittany
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This is honestly my first comic book I've ever read before, and I've always wanted to read about a superhero, so while I was at my comic book/gaming store after D&D (yeah I play that....) and I was waiting for my ride, I rifled through the comics till I saw the tab for 'Black Canary'. I was kinda shocked at first-I only know about the Black Canary from Arrow, and seeing her having a comic book....well, I just had to get it.

So in this comic Dinah is in a band called Black Canary, and her ban
Robert Weinstein
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I imagine I would have liked this more had I been more familiar with DC Comics characters. It felt like a re-imagining of a familiar story I wasn't familiar with so I couldn't be as impressed with the unconventional interpretation. This quality seemed to come at the expense of plot and character development so I wasn't as compelled by the twists and turns the story had to offer.

And one other thing: it's seems challenging to tell a musical story in images. The plot focuses on a band and more than
Ophelia Milo
The use of color manages to tell a story about sound in a silent medium, and it does so beautifully. There's a lot of action and a lot of three-dimensional women. The art is stunning, mostly, but go ahead and skip issue 9; it's not connected to the main storyline, so you won't miss anything, and it's drawn in a tiny-nose, t&a-only anime style that doesn't fit the rest of the issues.
Jessica Hennessey
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
not a bad story line, but I prefer birds of prey more.
Jenn
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic, dc, favorite
Great story pacing and good art.
Ria
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: superheroes, comics
Wow, did the Arrowverse shortchange Canary or what? I knew Dinah was a badass from her occasional Batgirl visits, but it's nice to see her in her element. Annie Wu's art took me a while to appreciate, but it works pretty well with the rock'n'roll style and there are some truly striking panels. Looking forward to reading more.
Raphaëlle
Mar 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Intriguing first issue & interesting new take on Black Canary.
I wasn't so sure about the art when I picked it up but it has definitely grown on me and it works well with the overall "vibe" they're trying to convey. They did a tremendous job with the colors in my opinion.
(view spoiler) This kind of "shift in focus" if you will, I find kind of refreshing and intere
Shawn
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really loved the sketch-like quality of the art. It gave the story a hurried, gritty feeling. It's very stylized and, yet, emotive.

It's been years since I regularly read comics/graphic novels and the new Black Canary is very different from what I expected. Dinah is still a butt-kicking heroine, but the silly getup makes more sense now as a stage costume for a band. There is a lot of music in this and a lot of fight scenes minus the one-liners I'm used to. The fights are gritty and realistic wi
Jay
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: DC Comics Fans
Shelves: dc-comics, superhero
Dinah has signed on with a rock band under a new recording contract. While they’re on tour promoting their new EP, Dinah is getting prone to acts of violence against the audience during shows. Why are all these aliens attacking the band? While the writing in this book is pretty solid – even Dinah’s character, which I was afraid wasn’t going to click – I’m not sure about the whole “alien attackers” thing. The supporting characters (essentially, the other band members) seem like they could be inte ...more
Molly
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thought I'd love the new run of Black Canary - and I was right. Between the writing by Brenden Fletcher and the art by Annie Wu (who is absolutely amazingly talented), the story of a rock 'n roll Dinah Lance touring around with the band Black Canary is so fun and entertaining. Plus, the first issue perfectly sets up the mystery of this run while acting as a great jumping off point for readers new to the character. Can't wait to read more!
T. Renee Doty
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a perfect first step into a new story for Dinah. She is attempting to recreate herself by joining a band cheekily named Black Canary by the writer. But it isn't just about rock and roll--dark forces are following her...can she get a fresh start, or is that just impossible for a woman with her set of skills...

**This series is perfect for people who are new to her story, or readers who have met different incarnations of her character**
Jessi
Jul 29, 2015 added it
Shelves: wednesday-comics
I loved Annie Wu's art on Hawkeye, so it's great to see her in an ongoing. Her style is perfect for this incarnation of Dinah. The story is great, too; Black Canary as a singer is just inspired. I love the Batgirl of Burnside series, so I'm horribly biased, but this was a fun first issue and I look forward to the rest.
Hana b
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I picked this up on a whim during my last pull trip. And really enjoyed it. I'm glad I got the first two at the same time bc by the end of the first one I was ready to see where it was going. The art is a lot of fun, and the story is a cool new Black Canary story that I see myself enjoying. No spoilers!!
Rochelle
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was such an awesome take on Black Canary. I love that Dinah is the lead singer of a rock band. She has a mysterious past and always seems to get in trouble. It's cool to see her show off her martial artist skills, even though it might be during a performace.I can't wait to the next installment of this series!
Holly
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, single-issues
The art for this comic might be absolutely stunning, but the writing not so much. I had far too many unanswered questions and, at its heart, "DD" just did not feel like Dinah. Besides that, the pacing was rather weird and it just didn't feel like it was really going anywhere. Riddled with cliches that don't fit the character it's supposedly about, it's a beautifully illustrated hot mess.
Astrea
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2015
Honestly, I'm not really sure what I thought of this comic. It wasn't good. It wasn't bad. I won't seek out the next issue, but I'd read it if someone gave it to me. I realize this is the first issue and it's setting everything up so it will probably get better.

But...

MysteriousPanda
I really liked the art in Black Canary #1 and the story was OK as far as first issues go. It didn't completely sell me on the series however. I've read the next two issues as well, and neither of them made me want to say "OMG I WANT MORE" either but at the same time, I am intrigued as to where the story is going and will probably keep reading for now.
Justine
Jul 02, 2016 rated it liked it
I remember now why I hate single issues lol. I literally got two seconds of the story and charcaters... I need more!!! I don't even know if I like it or them yet but it wasn't a big enough chunk to decide.
Kelly Brown
Jul 01, 2015 rated it liked it
It looks like DC wanted to take a page from the very popular Spider-Gwen. We see Black Canary in a rock band. It was a descent read, and a completely different direction than the character I know. I was entertained.... The loose artwork worked well with the story too.
Gina
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was ok

I really liked Dinah in Batgirl so decided to pick up this series but the first issue I didn't really connect her with the black canary of Batgirl. I have more issues and plan to read more but may not continue following this one.
Bambi
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
hELL YEA IM SUPER EXCITED I LOVE ANNIE WU

• Zodiac Starforce #1
  • Spider-Gwen (2015) #2
  • Runaways #1
  • Darth Vader #9
  • The Hollows (Hollowland Graphic Novel)
  • Ultraman, Vol. 1
  • 六花の勇者 (Rokka no Yuusha, #1)
  • Tokyo Ghost #1
  • Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix Vol. 2
  • Kingdom Hearts: The Novel
  • Chrono Crusade, Vol. 5 (Chrono Crusade, #5)
Brenden Fletcher is a writer who's worked on DC Comics titles including the bestselling Batgirl of Burnside, Gotham Academy, and Black Canary.

He contributed the acclaimed Flash story to the Eisner and Harvey Award winning Wednesday Comics and has recently launched a Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Pink series for Boom! Studios.

Black Canary (2015) (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Black Canary #2