Jump to ratings and reviews
Dinah Lance hits the road! After years as a soldier and vigilante, the LAST place Dinah saw herself is on stage…but she’s quickly learning she’d die to protect the gang of misfits she’s fallen into. And she just might have to—for some reason, the newly rechristened band, "Black Canary," seems to be a magnet for trouble…and Dinah’s not gonna believe it when she finds out the reason why! Martial arts, super-spies, and rock ‘n’ roll combine, from Brenden Fletcher (BATGIRL) and Annie Wu (Hawkeye)!

27 pages, Kindle Edition

First published June 17, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Brenden Fletcher

178 books171 followers
Brenden Fletcher is a writer who's worked on DC Comics titles including the bestselling Batgirl of Burnside, Gotham Academy, and Black Canary.

He contributed the acclaimed Flash story to the Eisner and Harvey Award winning Wednesday Comics and has recently launched a Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Pink series for Boom! Studios.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
31 (5%)
1 star
15 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 51 reviews
Profile Image for Ashley DiNorcia.
330 reviews537 followers
August 10, 2015
3.5
This is a really interesting take on Black Canary. Dinah joins a band and during every show, things end up getting a bit...out of hand. She's trashed most of the venues they've played at and now there are monsters showing up. Keeping her past from her new band mates is no longer an option, so she sets out to train them while her secrets unravel.
Profile Image for Kori ☾.
1,018 reviews20 followers
July 1, 2020
An introduction that got me wanting more! That’s always rare for me. Maybe it’s the music element in this? Either way, I’m hooked and will be continuing this series!
Profile Image for Alexa.
2,095 reviews10.9k followers
May 16, 2016
I definitely didn't expect to enjoy Black Canary as much as I did! Combining the story of a band on tour and some really "special" individuals, I've gotta say - I was pretty hooked.
Profile Image for Meghan.
560 reviews65 followers
November 23, 2015
Black Canary #1, which I had heard about and seen posters for throughout the comic book shop. I had known this was coming. However the cover was what got me right away. It’s everyone’s favorite, Dinah Lance, holding a microphone, in all leather and fishnets, with black makeup, and this great don’t mess with me face on. I knew right away I needed to read this.

Now be warned Arrow fans, this is not the Dinah Lance/ Black Canary that you have grown to love on the show. She is someone completely different and she is awesome! Working as a front woman in the rock band Black Canary (see what they did there!), Dinah Lance tours different clubs and has received the reputation for ending her shows with a bang. No. Literally, she usually ends up fighting and knocking someone out by the end of the show. When it is discovered that a band member named Ditto is being hunted by something, Dinah and the rest of the band decide to team up and try to stop these people or things, we’re not really sure yet as to what they might be. Whether or not there is going to be a training montage in the next issue has not been determined, it is clear that these other band members have no experience in fighting anything and it’s going to be up to Dinah to train them. I can hope for a kick-ass training montage though!

Dinah’s favorite phrase seems to be “I get by” and it’s true, she does seems like the type of character who could get herself out of any situation if she needed to. Dinah will not talk about her past much at all though and when she does get questioned about it, specifically about her past husband; she just refuses to make any comments about it. This leaves some room for interesting plot reveals to happen later, perhaps in issues to come.

Bottom line is that this was an amazing first issue for a comic for DC and great fresh start after Convergence. Honestly, I don’t think anyone really enjoyed that one much. Black Canary has an interesting art style and format, even treating some pages as if they were a newspaper article about the band or a radio show with Dinah being interviewed. I can’t wait for the new issue of Black Canary to come out and until then I will continue to gush over how awesome it was. I hope DC Comics continues to make more strong, female central comics that leave me squealing with glee!
Profile Image for Arturo.
366 reviews13 followers
June 24, 2015
This isn't you JLA/Birds of Prey/Green Arrow type of comic. This for a new reader, or someone looking for something different. Hey, maybe your in a band or know someone in a band or just like the new environment. Then maybe it's just for you. But I didn't like it. I tried getting into a different mindset, since it had similarities to Scott Pilgrim, but nope, nothing interesting in the dialogue. The writing? Well..
Black Canary: "What do you want from me? Do you think I'm in the Justice League? I only did like half a mission with those guys! Aliens are THEIR problem!"
wtf.
I wouldn't mind the art if it had some great writing to go along with it but to top it off there was 3 pages of Canary fighting some inky/almost stick figure/ghouls with no words. Are they supposed to be terrifying? is there a sense of threat? Is the plot moving forward? Not impressed with the action sequence so what was the point?

Profile Image for Yas .
209 reviews
December 16, 2018
Voy a ser honesta, descargué todo el volumen porque la composición de la portada se me hizo hermosa, y Black Canary irradiaba una energía estupenda.

¿Y qué creen? No me equivoqué! Los gráficos están excelentes, y la trama que apenas presentaron en el n.1 ya me dejó enganchada por sí misma; Black Canary se acaba de unir a una banda, pero NADIE sabe de dónde viene y porqué es que atrae tantos problemas a su paso.
We had to stan a mysterious (and powerful) woman.
Profile Image for The Sapphic Nerd.
945 reviews45 followers
August 3, 2015
This is a different twist to a superhero story. I like the art and the writing's decent. I'm curious about DD's past and whatever's going on with Ditto (one of the band members). I'd like to see where this goes.
Profile Image for Brittany.
367 reviews16 followers
June 15, 2017
This is honestly my first comic book I've ever read before, and I've always wanted to read about a superhero, so while I was at my comic book/gaming store after D&D (yeah I play that....) and I was waiting for my ride, I rifled through the comics till I saw the tab for 'Black Canary'. I was kinda shocked at first-I only know about the Black Canary from Arrow, and seeing her having a comic book....well, I just had to get it.

So in this comic Dinah is in a band called Black Canary, and her bandmates call her D.D for short. They are known as the Most Dangerous Band in America because in every show they ever play, the venue gets destroyed each time because the bad guys are always showing up, and Dinah has to protect them...but it turns out the bad guys are coming after Ditto, a silent girl who can't talk, but she can play.

The group don't know why they were after Ditto, but Dinah swore on protecting them, though she was only on their EP tour with them for a couple shows before she's off again. So she decided to teach her bandmates how to defend themselves, using guns and martial arts.

I enjoyed this comic so much that I'm planning on getting all of them and the Green Arrow ones (might need to read the earlier comics so I can understand Oliver/Dinah's relationship).
Profile Image for Robert Weinstein.
164 reviews1 follower
April 24, 2018
I imagine I would have liked this more had I been more familiar with DC Comics characters. It felt like a re-imagining of a familiar story I wasn't familiar with so I couldn't be as impressed with the unconventional interpretation. This quality seemed to come at the expense of plot and character development so I wasn't as compelled by the twists and turns the story had to offer.

And one other thing: it's seems challenging to tell a musical story in images. The plot focuses on a band and more than a little effort has been made to draw panels that reflect the dynamics of punk rock but I wanted to hear the music with my eyes more.

The art was great to look at though, as is the character Ditto.
Profile Image for Ophelia Milo.
17 reviews11 followers
February 17, 2018
The use of color manages to tell a story about sound in a silent medium, and it does so beautifully. There's a lot of action and a lot of three-dimensional women. The art is stunning, mostly, but go ahead and skip issue 9; it's not connected to the main storyline, so you won't miss anything, and it's drawn in a tiny-nose, t&a-only anime style that doesn't fit the rest of the issues.
Profile Image for Jonathan.
69 reviews
October 1, 2019
I personally love this take on the black canary. She a bad to the bone experimental rockstar kicking her way through crowds of baddies. Plus, the art is so spot on I feel as if I can hear the music even though I can’t. Definitely a must read for comic book fans!
Profile Image for Regina.
445 reviews24 followers
May 8, 2020
The artwork is beautiful and original, I love it! So, I really don’t know much about Black Canary but I’m hoping to learn a lot with this mini series.
Profile Image for Ria.
2,126 reviews31 followers
February 26, 2017
Wow, did the Arrowverse shortchange Canary or what? I knew Dinah was a badass from her occasional Batgirl visits, but it's nice to see her in her element. Annie Wu's art took me a while to appreciate, but it works pretty well with the rock'n'roll style and there are some truly striking panels. Looking forward to reading more.
Profile Image for Shawn.
319 reviews1 follower
February 3, 2016
I really loved the sketch-like quality of the art. It gave the story a hurried, gritty feeling. It's very stylized and, yet, emotive.

It's been years since I regularly read comics/graphic novels and the new Black Canary is very different from what I expected. Dinah is still a butt-kicking heroine, but the silly getup makes more sense now as a stage costume for a band. There is a lot of music in this and a lot of fight scenes minus the one-liners I'm used to. The fights are gritty and realistic with the focus on the action and not unnecessary dialogue.

The mystery kept building up to the end, when one question got answered another got asked. it was quite suspenseful. Why was Dinah picked for the band? Why was the previous singer kicked out? Why is the label investing so much into such a new band? And who is Ditto? (none of these were spoilers, they were the the first ones asked).

It was a great read and far different than what I expected. I really enjoyed it.
Profile Image for Raphaëlle.
88 reviews12 followers
March 12, 2016
Intriguing first issue & interesting new take on Black Canary.
I wasn't so sure about the art when I picked it up but it has definitely grown on me and it works well with the overall "vibe" they're trying to convey. They did a tremendous job with the colors in my opinion.
This kind of "shift in focus" if you will, I find kind of refreshing and interesting as a narrative device.

The main drawback was the plot though. Dinah's bandmates should have been introduced in a larger capacity, or at least we should have had some kind of backstory for the band. I'd have settled for even threads of explanation - just gimme something to hold onto! And I've actually been reading Batgirl so I wasn't new to Dinah's new career choice...

Anyway, it was a good first issue overall, just not as compelling as it might have been.
Profile Image for Jay.
1,068 reviews2 followers
January 28, 2016
Dinah has signed on with a rock band under a new recording contract. While they’re on tour promoting their new EP, Dinah is getting prone to acts of violence against the audience during shows. Why are all these aliens attacking the band? While the writing in this book is pretty solid – even Dinah’s character, which I was afraid wasn’t going to click – I’m not sure about the whole “alien attackers” thing. The supporting characters (essentially, the other band members) seem like they could be interesting, so I’m going to give this a little bit of leeway.
Profile Image for Molly.
81 reviews7 followers
December 17, 2015
I thought I'd love the new run of Black Canary - and I was right. Between the writing by Brenden Fletcher and the art by Annie Wu (who is absolutely amazingly talented), the story of a rock 'n roll Dinah Lance touring around with the band Black Canary is so fun and entertaining. Plus, the first issue perfectly sets up the mystery of this run while acting as a great jumping off point for readers new to the character. Can't wait to read more!
Profile Image for T. Renee Doty.
142 reviews16 followers
March 30, 2016
This was a perfect first step into a new story for Dinah. She is attempting to recreate herself by joining a band cheekily named Black Canary by the writer. But it isn't just about rock and roll--dark forces are following her...can she get a fresh start, or is that just impossible for a woman with her set of skills...

**This series is perfect for people who are new to her story, or readers who have met different incarnations of her character**
Profile Image for Holly.
237 reviews14 followers
April 19, 2016
The art for this comic might be absolutely stunning, but the writing not so much. I had far too many unanswered questions and, at its heart, "DD" just did not feel like Dinah. Besides that, the pacing was rather weird and it just didn't feel like it was really going anywhere. Riddled with cliches that don't fit the character it's supposedly about, it's a beautifully illustrated hot mess.
Profile Image for Rochelle.
100 reviews
July 9, 2015
This was such an awesome take on Black Canary. I love that Dinah is the lead singer of a rock band. She has a mysterious past and always seems to get in trouble. It's cool to see her show off her martial artist skills, even though it might be during a performace.I can't wait to the next installment of this series!
Profile Image for Jessi.
240 reviews12 followers
Read
June 3, 2018
I loved Annie Wu's art on Hawkeye, so it's great to see her in an ongoing. Her style is perfect for this incarnation of Dinah. The story is great, too; Black Canary as a singer is just inspired. I love the Batgirl of Burnside series, so I'm horribly biased, but this was a fun first issue and I look forward to the rest.
Profile Image for kirsten.
289 reviews24 followers
September 24, 2015
Honestly, I'm not really sure what I thought of this comic. It wasn't good. It wasn't bad. I won't seek out the next issue, but I'd read it if someone gave it to me. I realize this is the first issue and it's setting everything up so it will probably get better.

But...

Displaying 1 - 30 of 51 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.