Start by marking “Death of a Nurse (Hamish Macbeth, #31)” as Want to Read:
Death of a Nurse (Hamish Macbeth, #31)

Death of a Nurse

(Hamish Macbeth #31)

M. C. Beaton's New York Times bestselling Hamish Macbeth series continues with a new mystery featuring Scotland's most quick-witted but unambitious policeman.
James Harrison has recently moved to a restored hunting lodge in Sutherland with his gorgeous private nurse Gloria Dainty. When Hamish visits Mr. Harrison to welcome him to the neighborhood, the old man treats him ver
Published February 23rd 2016 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Death of a Nurse, please sign up.
Georgia Lengyel A highland Christmas is a short story, so they don't give it a full number. It would be a .5.

Bobby Underwood
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This series set in the Highlands of Scotland seems destined to go on forever, or at least as long as Beaton remains alive to pen them. Hopefully that will be a long time, because the series has never lost its charm, and remains a fun read in Death of a Nurse.

Hamish is minus Dick in this one, who has retired to open up a bakery with the beautiful Anka, whom Dick met in another Macbeth outing. Hamish cannot imagine anything more is going on between the gorgeous Anka and the awkward Dick, but he’s
Susan Johnson
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you.

Hamish Macbeth is one of my guilty pleasures. The plots are not complicated and the characters rarely change but I so enjoy checking in on him and seeing what mischief he's up to and who he
is dating.

The author gives you a sense of place and drops you in the middle of the Highlands. I love reading about his breakfasts of haggis and blood pudding (pardon me while I gag a little).

This story deals with the arrival of a s
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
I have read numerous of MC Beaton's Hamish MacBeth series and they never fail to delight. They are an easy, comfortable read about a Scottish policeman based in the village of Lochdubh in the Scottish Highlands.

His immediate superior, Blair, is always trying to think up ways to move Hamish on and close down the police station to save money. Hamish loves his life in Lochdubh where he is at peace with life and able to amble about revelling in his lack of ambition. Hamish avoids promotion, to the p
Jessica
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries
Dear Hamish! With his love life always in turmoil and Blair always out to get him, it's a wonder he can continue to solve murder after murder!

But of course he does, along with his newest constable, sweet-faced Charlie Carter. All the usuals are here: Lugs and Sonsie, Archie, Angela, the Currie sisters, Mrs. Wellington, Dick Fraser and the beautiful Anka, Elspeth, Willie, and of course the beautiful but still frigid Priscilla and her even more uptight parents. But really, with this being number
Fiona MacDonald
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
As usual Hamish is on top form, this time investigating the death of a pretty nurse that he has fallen for. She of course is not the only death in the book, there will be many more, and Dick isn't really featured here either which was a shame. Also look out for the departure of one of our favourite characters, it nearly made me cry!!! MC Beaton can't write a bad book.
Una Tiers
Mar 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Beaton's books make me anxious to unite with old friends from the two series. The book is plagued with the 'add water for an instant scene.' Some of the plot parts seem left over and as if they were plunked in to add something. They fall short.
Thomas
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Thomas by: NetGelley
I received this ebook thanks to NetGalley and the publisher. I enjoyed it and give it a solid 4 stars out of 5. Hamish MacBeth solves more murders, but due to his unorthodox methods, does not get any credit. That means he does not get promoted, which is what he wants, i.e., staying in the small village of Lochdubh, rather going to the city of Strathbane.

Hamish asks a local woman out on a date and she doesn't show up. It turns out that she has been murdered. Hamish is good at solving murders, bu
Lisa Kay
★★★★ I haven't read one of these in awhile. I quite enjoyed it. ...more
Dagny
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beaton-m-c
Thrilled to discover that this series may be back on track for me. Was a bit worried in the beginning, but ended up thoroughly enjoying it.
Mark
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
After the watching of all three seasons of the Hamish Macbeth tv series featuring Robert Carlyle as the leading man. It is a fun series but strays away from the stories as written by M.C. Beaton.

A grumpy old man who retired to the Scottish Highlands and is not very pleasurable person who does not like his local bobby, but he has a lovely nurse who does turn heads and when she agrees to a date with Hamish all looks well. However she never turns up and Hamish feels the hurt especially as his live-
Damaskcat
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A new and very glamorous nurse is seen in Lochdubh and naturally Hamish Macbeth is attracted. She is nursing an elderly man who has recently moved to the area and who is rumoured to be wealthy though not very good tempered. Gloria Dainty accepts a date with Hamish but fails to turn up at the restaurant. It seems she has disappeared completely taking all her belongings with her. A new and much less attractive nurse appears to nurse the invalid Mr Harrison.

But Gloria's disappearance continues to n
Dawn Michelle
This was a very good read with a bit of a twist. There was a little more murder than usually is in a Hamish book, but people are horrible, even in books. Priscilla gets a real scare and I wonder how she will be in the future, Hamish suffers a great loss and I have to wonder how he will cope as well. Charlie has many accidents, gets embroiled in a mess that takes some getting out of, but is always a good friend to all who know him and Dick gets married [WHO knew?].

Its crazy that these, at 31 boo
Darlene
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, cozy-mystery
Whenever I need to escape into a light and entertaining story, I love to flee to Scotland and immerse myself in the village of Lochdubh, and check in with police constable Hamish Macbeth. This 31st installment in the series, 'Death of Nurse' is narrated by Graeme Malcolm.. and he does a terrific job!

'Death of a Nurse' begins with Constable Hamish Macbeth trying once again to tolerate (or perhaps come up with a way to be rid of) the new addition to his constabulary. In case you are new to the ser
Pattie Tierney
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In the interest of full disclosure, it is really impossible for me to write a totally impartial review, because I love Hamish MacBeth. Sure he's a bit lazy (so was my ex-husband), sure he's a bit clueless when it comes to women (so was my ex-husband), but unlike most of the men I know, he is enormously clever, unbelievably patient, and has the dual ability of solving every crime in the Scottish Highlands, while still maintaining his rather lazy lifestyle as the unappreciated police sergeant cum ...more
Leyla Johnson
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a Hamish Macbeth mystery which really says it all. I really enjoy all of Beaton's books, but the Macbeth mysteries have a wonderful atmosphere to them - I love the scenery, the characters and the frailties of the hero, I love the way he deals with his superior, his love life and the people under his care. The stories are well written, logically put and not try to be too clever. This book is a little bit more fun then some of his others, and do hope his offsider Charlie will return in fur ...more
Holly Socolow
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Gotta love Constable Hamish Macbeth, with his Highland intuition, flaming red hair and temper to match at just the right times. The cast of characters are wonderfully mischievous, with often dark and humorous literary quotes to introduce each chapter. The plot was more complex than some previous books in the series, which made it a more satisfying read in the end. And the Highlands setting with its magical thinking transported me to another dimension altogether. An enjoyable escape.
Harvee
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent and entertaining Hamish Macbeth mystery novel.
This time Hamish shares the spotlight with his new policeman in the village station, Charley. I hope Charley sticks around for a while, unlike the previous policemen sent out to help Hamish and who left for one reason or another.
Anastasia
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Death of a Nurse by M.C. Beaton is the 31st book in the Hamish Macbeth mystery series. Hamish is stood up by James Harrison's nurse Gloria and when her murdered body is found, he investigates. Hamish seemed a bit slower in this book, maybe as he seemed pre-occupied with so many other things, not least of freeing his wildcat Sonsie into a wildcat sanctuary. Otherwise another interesting and typical Hamish Macbeth mystery.
Donna
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
This book is actually my first novel by this author that I've read. Well, I listened to the audio and I loved the narrator. I could listen to him anytime.

I liked the process of finding the criminal. It was creatively done. The clues were unveiled little by little. The red herrings were in place. Some parts were a little slow for me, but I liked this one overall. So 3 stars.
Luanne Ollivier
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 I don't read a lot of 'cozy' mysteries, but when I do my choice is M.C. Beaton. She is the author of two very light hearted mystery series set in Scotland. Of the two, I enjoy the Hamish Macbeth tales just a tad bit more than Agatha Raisin, although they're both wonderful.

The latest MacBeth (#31!) is Death of a Nurse. It releases today - and I have a copy to giveaway!

Death of a Nurse happily returns us to the small Scottish village of Lochdubh, where Police Sergeant Hamish MacBeth is based.
Kelsey Hanson
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, mystery
And with that I am finally caught up to the most current book. Thank God because I need a break. The actual mysteries of this book were never that in depth, but they had a uniqueness to them and the somewhat satisfying death of some very unpleasant people. Now it just feels like Beaton is trying to make them more brutal and Law and Order-esque, which isn't really working for me because it doesn't seem like she's very good at writing that style and is letting a ton of characters fall by the waysi ...more
Lisa Morin
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have to be honest, this is the very first Hamish book I've read. I am a huge fan of the Agatha Raisin series and I decided to give this one a try. I have to admit, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.
When gorgeous private nurse Gloria Dainty arrives in town, Hamish is determined to invite her to dinner. when Gloria is a no show, the last thing Hamish thinks is that Gloria is dead. Soon enough Hamish is on the case to find the murderer.

I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in excha
Terri
Hamish MacBeth likes the sexy private nurse of a new man in town. He invites her on a date and when she doesn't show up, he thinks he was stood up. Only when her body is found, he finds that she held a lot of secrets and there is more going on.

I always love Hamish and this was no exception. An interesting story with the quirky characters I love in this series. And a new cat. lol
Tanya
Hamish McBeth is the male version of Agatha Raisin but I think his books are slightly funnier - or the humor is better in some ways. This one was an enjoyable audio listen but I felt it took longer than usual for the killer to be revealed for some reason. It did keep me guessing till the end but Beaton’s mysteries are entertaining aside from the murders part.
Linda
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love a good whodunit - especially in the British style. This was my first "taste" of the Hamish MacBeth series. Hamish is a Highlander with the usual brilliant mind and sharp instincts so essential, it seems, for any principal crime solver in ANY murder mystery. Once in a while, I'd like to see a mystery in which the principal crime-solver was of mediocre intellect, or a really dumb Inspector Clouseau type, but I suppose that only happens in the movies.

Nevertheless, red-haired Hamish is a par
Kristi | Hidden Staircase |
Hamish first meets the beautiful nurse Gloria Dainty outside of Patel’s grocery, and is immediately smitten by her looks. He invites her to dinner, but becomes suspicious when she doesn’t show. When her body turns up days later, he knows it’s murder.

In general, Hamish Macbeth is considered to be a “lazy” policeman, but in reality he just doesn’t want to be promoted and have to close up his station in Lochdubh. He cares deeply about the villagers, his station, and his pets. When he solves murder
Shirley Schwartz
Mar 06, 2016 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars! I have been disappointed lately with the Hamish Macbeth series. The earlier books in the series are little treasures, and I used to look forward to the next book coming out. In the recent past (the last 3 or 4 years) the books weren't as enjoyable as they were rushed and very disjointed. This book is better, although time certainly flies within the 265 pages. For those not in the know, Hamish Macbeth is a police sergeant located in the picturesque little town of Lochdubh in the Scot ...more
Nolene Driscoll
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book via Netgalley in return for an honest review.

This is the first Hamish McBeth book I have read and found it delightful. The author has a quick, easy writing style that moves the story along at quite a fast pace. Though a murder has taken place I found myself chuckling at some of the things that both Hamish and Charlie got up to.

I liked both Hamish, a guy who is unlucky in love but good at his job and his "sidekick" Charlie, a big, friendly, awkward and clumsy guy wh
Sue McQuaide Kitt
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a pleasant surprise to discover this wonderful new author (for me). I found Death of a Nurse to be witty and moved through it at a pleasant and easy pace. I really fell in love the village of Lochdubh in the Scottish Highlands and had to go and google the scenery.
Being my first Hamish Mcbeth novel I had no idea what to expect from the characters and being number 31 in the series I thought I might get a bit lost with established characters, but it was just fine as a standalone.
I really liked
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
I have listed to several other books in the Hamish Macbeth Myster series and never liked the narrator. This time there was a new voice. Graeme Malcolm does a much better job of the different characters in the story. Death of a Nurse again has Hamish seeing a pretty woman and then finding her dead. There are more than one murder in the book and it spans more than one month before everything is solved. A good addition to the series. Each book is a quick light read. You can start the series in any ...more
Goodreads Authors...: M C Beaton - Death of a Nurse 1 12 Jan 13, 2016 11:08AM
  • Hooked on Ewe (Scottish Highlands, #2)
  • A Demon Summer (Max Tudor #4)
  • A Fete Worse Than Death (Jack Haldean Murder Mystery #1)
  • The Spook in the Stacks (Lighthouse Library Mystery #4)
  • Desperate Measures (Gabriel Ash and Hazel Best, #3)
  • Winter of Secrets (Constable Molly Smith #3)
  • Called to Justice (Quaker Midwife Mystery #2)
  • Gossamer Ghost (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #12)
  • The Penguin Pool Murder (Hildegarde Withers #1)
  • Sick of Shadows (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #3)
  • Decked with Folly (Pennyfoot Hotel #17)
  • Merry Market Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #5)
  • Murder with Ganache (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #4)
  • Gunpowder Plot (Daisy Dalrymple, #15)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Summer King (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #20)
  • Tall Tail (Mrs. Murphy, #25)
  • Dead, White, and Blue (Death on Demand, #23)
  • Evanly Choirs  (Constable Evans, #3)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottis

Hamish Macbeth (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1)
  • Death of a Cad (Hamish Macbeth, #2)
  • Death of an Outsider (Hamish Macbeth, #3)
  • Death of a Perfect Wife (Hamish Macbeth, #4)
  • Death of a Hussy (Hamish Macbeth, #5)
  • Death of a Snob (Hamish Macbeth, #6)
  • Death of a Prankster (Hamish Macbeth, #7)
  • Death of a Glutton (Hamish Macbeth, #8)
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth, #9)
  • Death of a Charming Man (Hamish Macbeth, #10)
“I wish I loved the Human Race; I wish I loved its silly face; I wish I liked the way it walks; I wish I liked the way it talks: And when I’m introduced to one I wish I thought What Jolly Fun! —Sir Walter A. Raleigh” 1 likes
“I mean, that’s the creepy thing about Sutherland when you’re out on your own under the stars. You feel like an intruder. But the birds belong.” 0 likes