Start by marking “That's Not Bunny!” as Want to Read:
That's Not Bunny!

That's Not Bunny!

From high above on his perch, Hawk searches for his next meal. When he spots a bunny he swoops down and snatches-a carrot!? He decides to try again; because after all, he isn't a Carrot Hawk. But when Hawk goes for his second attempt he comes up with a cucumber! And the third time he grabs a head of lettuce! How can Hawk be a hawk, if he can't catch a single bunny? As he ...more
Published February 2nd 2016 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about That's Not Bunny!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That's Not Bunny!

Start your review of That's Not Bunny!
Melki
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This is essentially a one joke book with a predictable ending. And, though I enjoyed the brightly colored illustrations by Colin Jack, this seems somewhat like an animated short drawn on paper.
Katrina
Jul 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
The illustrations are vibrant and engaging, but the story leaves much to be desired. It's an oddly unfinished Bugs Bunny-type tale, with a hawk who repeatedly tries to catch a bunny for dinner and winds up with a nest filled with vegetables. Is this a plug for or against vegetarianism? Are we supposed to think the bird is befriending the bunny at the end, or still failing at attempts to eat him? Is there even an ending? All signs point toward "no" and also "how do books like this reach ...more
Viviane Elbee
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-books
This is a funny book, that feels a bit like a Looney tunes cartoon. The hawk wants to catch the bunny but the bunny keeps outsmarting him.
Kids enjoyed it.
The story's ending is fun but it doesn't really bring closure (nor change) to the hawk's problem.
Jocelin
Mar 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
When you look at the cover of this you think, "that Hawk is nothing but trouble". The illustrations were good and lively. The book had a zany Looney Tunes feel to it. The one thing that I did not like was the ending. It ended really abruptly and it felt almost like there would be a sequel. I ask, should it really be one?
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Barton, Chris That's Not Bunny!, illustrated by Colin Jack. PICTURE BOOK. Disney Hyperion, 2016. $17. Content: G.

A hawk swoops in on a carrot-wielding rabbit, only to fly away with the carrot and not the rabbit. Angry at himself for flubbing up the hunt, the hawk tries again...and ends up with a cucumber! Now it's war. But who will win: the clever rabbit or the embarrassed hawk?

The illustrations are clever, and there is plenty of room for students to make predictions throughout the story.
Miya Gaub
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
This creative story is about a hawk who tries to eat a bunny, but is instead presented with a variety of vegetables. He is confused by the introduction of these organic materials as he would typically be eating meal. Rather graphic imagines show a bunny trying to escape his death sentence by providing the hungry hawk with something to eat other than him. I liked how the words were written into the pictures, and the repetitive wording encourages kids to read along and gain familiarity with the ...more
MeganRuth - Alohamora Open a Book
Funny. I thought this book was cute and funny. It'd make for a fun storytime read aloud, especially if you gave some background on Hawks. There is some repetition in the story, and the kids will laugh at the ending.

Storytime: Family Storytime, or Elementary Aged kids.

Focus: Print Motivation. Narrative Skills. Making Prediction/Inference.
Dee-Ann
This is a funny tale about a eagle trying to catch a bunny. The pictures are really vibrant and fun and matches the suspense and adventure. The only reason I did not give it five stars is that the ending was a little confusing.
Darin
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it - made me laugh out loud!
Anna
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Visual gags are just hard with my group. I can never tell if they get what's going on.
Priya
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chintubooks
I'am a carrot hawk,cucumber hawk,lettuce hawk?? Funny narration goodread
Nicole
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I absolutely adore Colin Jack's cute illustration style! I've seen it in a few books now and I love the uniqueness but familiarity (it's very Disney/Dreamworks concept art in style, and unsurprisingly Jack is a story artist for the latter).

The story is cute, as Hawk gets more frustrated that he's snatching veggies instead of rabbit meat. And Rabbit outsmarting is great! And a little like the dynamic between Roadrunner and Wil E Coyote!
Corinne
Sep 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, kids
Zippy illustrations. Lots of motion. The open ended ending was interesting. I didn't really connect to the characters or feel a strong desire for the the main character to achieve his goal. Also, what's wrong with eating all veggies? He can still be a real Hawk...
Heydi Smith
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: skip-it
The illustrations are spot on hilarious. The story feels more like a bad joke gone wrong. It feels unfinished and hence not satisfying.

I'm hoping that there will be a sequel to this book that will bring it all together.
Meghan
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book will probably get a lot of giggles, even though I don't think the ending is that funny. Who knows? Maybe the kids will! We can also talk a little about Hawks being carnivorous, and rabbits being herbivores. Science!
Paul Orsino
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Hawk spots his next meal from his perch. He swoops down and snatches up a delicious, tasty...CARROT? Hawk and Bunny match wits as Hawk struggles with an identity crisis in this fun read.

(Copy received by publisher for review purposes)
Holly
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens, picture
Normally the Junior Library Guild selections are much better than this. I would not have ordered this for my library.
Kate Hastings
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Grades Pre-K-2. A hawk goes hunting and keeps getting out-smarted by a bunny. Cute illustrations, but not an original story.
Heather Jo
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: meggie-list
Ms Threlkeld
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Decent idea, but not executed as well as it could have been. Could be used with young readers to practice predictions.
Mollie B
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hawk is clever! Rabbit keeps tricking hawk by hiding under veggies. How does Hawk retaliate? . . .
Maria
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great illustrations, quick thinking on the bunny's part! The Hawk never saw it coming!
Brindi Michele
comical story with great, big illustrations
Alice
Mar 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-25-stars
3.25 stars A hawk trying to get a bunny for his dinner instead scores veggies! In the end the bunnies wins and gets the salad! Go Bunny!
emyrose8
Aug 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting... not what I was expecting... but funny! And slightly morbid (the hawk is trying to catch a bunny for its dinner). The hawk reminds me of the Penguins of Madagascar.
Chacha Centeno
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
I thought it was hilarious.
Vicki
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
A simple tale a not too smart bird and a very clever bunny!
Elizabeth
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love it. The art is great, the story is funny. Would be excellent to read aloud for a story time.
Kelly
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great for a preschool storytime!
pati
Hawk is working hard to get dinner, but bunny keeps offering up alternatives. What's a hawk to do?

• Chick and Brain: Smell My Foot!
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School
  • When Findus was Little and Disappeared
  • I Am Raven
  • Mama Cat Has Three Kittens
  • I Want a Dog!
I'm the author of picture books including bestseller Shark vs. Train, Sibert Honor-winning The Day-Glo Brothers, and Whoosh! Lonnie Johnson's Super-Soaking Stream of Inventions, which was included on 19 state reading lists.

My recent titles include the Mighty Truck early reader series, Dazzle Ships: World War I and the Art of Confusion (an Orbis Pictus Honor book), and What Do You Do with a Voice

News & Interviews

With clever detectives, missing jewels, murderous women, daring spies, and more, mysteries and thrillers deliver page-turning delight with ever...