Start by marking “Dragon Eaters (Heroika, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dragon Eaters (Heroika, #1)

Dragon Eaters

(Heroika #1)

The art of dragon killing: Dragons have been eating humans for centuries. Now heroes throughout history stalk their legendary foe. Learn how to hunt, kill, and eat the wild dragon. Never before has revenge tasted so good. A literary feast for the bloody-minded.

In Janet Morris' anthology on the art of dragon killing, seventeen writers bring you so close to dragons you can
Published May 15th 2015 by Perseid Press (first published May 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Eaters, please sign up.
Janet E. Yes, this book is YA (actually is YA to Adult). Heroes in Hell series of shared universe books are/were also YA. At least four Heroes in Hell volumes …moreYes, this book is YA (actually is YA to Adult). Heroes in Hell series of shared universe books are/were also YA. At least four Heroes in Hell volumes were reviewed by YA-specific trade publications.(less)

Start your review of Dragon Eaters (Heroika, #1)
Andrew Weston
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As J.R.R. Tolkien himself once said “It simply isn’t an adventure worth telling if there aren’t any dragons.”
And that principle rings through loud and clear in Heroika – Dragon Eaters, a strikingly entertaining collection of short stories from seventeen writers possessing vivid imaginations.
But how to summarize their offering without giving the game away?
Let’s just say, there’s something here for everyone. From fiction that delves into heartbreak and tragedy, where the ultimate sacrifice is will
Katrina
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The English word 'Dragon' is descended from the Greek 'Drakon', or serpent, and 'Draconta', or 'to see'. It is fitting in homage to the great mythological beasts, that many of them meet their end by being blinded.
Heroika takes us on a journey through time and through the minds of 17 authors, all of whom have created a story in which the dragon, sometimes an ally, other times a foe, is seen as formidable and mighty.

I did enjoy the anthology and found it showcased the skills of the authors who wo
Charles
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heroika: Dragon Eaters, Edited by Janet Morris

I first became familiar with Janet Morris through her stories in the Thieves’ World Series. Morris generally wrote my favorite stories throughout that series, and when her characters from there, “Tempus” and “Niko,” appeared in several spinoff novels I also read and enjoyed those. So, when I heard of a new fantasy anthology edited by Morris, I quickly picked it up.

In Heroika: Dragon Eaters, Morris has put together seventeen short stories that all fe
Uvi Poznansky
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read quite a number of books by Janet Morris and Chris Morris, loved the exquisite writing style, and appreciated the detailed expertise in weaponry and horse riding skills that enrich their work (garnered over a lifelong experience.) They are truly inventive in creating carefully defined rules of a universe shared between a team of authors. Here, they define the thrust of this anthology using a long stretch of time: “Now heroes throughout history stalk their legendary foe.”

HEROIKA I allows m
Jason M Waltz
Awesome coverage of an awe-inspiring collection of heroism and dragon-fighting tales! Crests off and swords raised to the editors, authors, and designers of the first in hopefully a long line of heroic anthologies. Definitely a title any serious fan of heroism, S&S, and dragons-as-the-enemy should snap up! ...more
Lori Myers
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fun read this was! I had an absolute blast getting seventeen lessons on how to kill a dragon, and the heroes that take it upon themselves to rid the world of the evil that is dragons. Each of the contributing authors brought a unique and enthralling story to the table. One of the best part of this book for me was revisiting some old stomping grounds courtesy of Janet and Chris Morris, and Joe Bonadonna. I very much enjoyed reading their stories taking place in familiar settings. But THE B ...more
Ju Ephraime
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collection of stories written by seventeen great writers was a thrill to read. The writers allowed us to reexamine the myths about dragons and presented them in every conceivable shape and form imaginable. With these writers, the sky is the limit, with flying dragons, crawling dragons, swimming dragons, soaring dragons. These mystical creatures are brought back to life to wreck mayhem and havoc on the world they aim to occupy, resulting in anguish and despair and ultimately the final sacrif ...more
Karl Wiggins
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heroic!

Not being a great myth & fantasy reader it took a couple of stories to get into this book, but I’m so glad I did. There are some excellent tales here. I’ve been trying to diversify my reading material, not always successfully, but these stories captured my imagination.

‘Bring Your Rage’ was the first one I really enjoyed, but after that they just got better and better. I absolutely loved ‘The Wyght Wyrm’ where the author, Cas Peace, retells the story of Jorj and the dragon on the Highcliff
R.L. Robinson
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dragons aplenty in this superb collection, which I was lucky enough to be given as an ARC. Dragons are slain and slay in equal measure. Myths are re-told and every story has something to offer. If you like the grand, epic, dragon killing stories in fantasy, this is for you. If you like good stories well told, this will definitely satisfy your need.
Susan Tarr
HEROIKA Dragon Eaters by Janet Morris and others is a remarkable collection of stories in which various historic periods have the dragons as the hunted and the people as the hunters.
There is such a diverse wealth of tales here representing each in a unique and compelling style, showcasing each author’s (17 individuals) strength and interpretation.
If I didn’t understand dragons before, I certainly have a better appreciation now. These dragons are multicoloured and as their life ebbs their colours
Davide
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“Heroika – Dragon Eaters”, is a massive, highly entertaining collection of fantasy stories edited by Janet Morris and published by Perseid Press.
The contributors roster lines up a fine selection of authors: Janet Morris and Chris Morris, S. E. Lindberg, Walter Rhein, Cas Peace, Jack William Finley, A.L. Butcher, Travis Ludvigson, Tom Barczak, J. P. Wilder, Joe Bonadonna, Milton Davis, M Harold Page, William Hiles, Beth W.Patterson, Bruce Durham, and Mark Finn.

I like very much the central concept
Althea Ann
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
*** The First Dragon Eater - Janet and Chris Morris
Interesting. This piece has an intentionally-elevated, formal style which effectively brings to mind ancient mythologies - maybe Babylonian, more than anything else? One really gets a sense of a greater culture and complicated pantheon behind what's on the page. However, that very quality of the writing also makes it a little bit inaccessible and confusing, as characters and events are continually brought up without explanation or introduction.
I
Bob/Sally
This is a book I lingered over for quite some time, reading a few short stories at a time, as the mood grabbed me. Favorites within the collection included Legacy of the Great Dragon by S.E. Lindberg (loved the Egyptian theme), Bring Your Rage by Janet & Chris Morris (interesting use of the Amazons), Aquila of Oyos by Walter Rhein (fantastic clash of dragons), The Rhyme of the Dragon Queen by JP Wilder (great quest adventure), and The Dragon's Horde by Joe Bonadonna (nice slice of pulp fantasy). ...more
R.A. McCandless
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
In every anthology there is something for everyone—some solid stories and real gems. That is definitely the case with the diverse “Heroika 1: Dragon Eaters” edited by Janet Morris. The stories, which all center on dragons, range from classic myths from England, Greece and Egypt to wide-eyed futures.

Most of the stories take a gritty, grimy approach to the business of dragons and dragon slaying. Huge, mythical creatures whose mass alone make them impressive, have added bonuses of breathing fire an
Tiara
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
RTC
Lindsey Roberts
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Original Review Here

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

A collection of short stories is always harder to review than a novel because each story has different strengths and weaknesses. Heroika engaged me more than I expected, however, as usually I enjoy stories where the dragons are the good guys and on the side of righteousness rather than being defeated in every story. The characters in the majority were strong enough that I was rooting for them.

My favourite st
Daniel
Dec 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 2.5 of 5

I typically really enjoy reading short stories and those that are collected based on a theme generally have a story or two that will really appeal. This book, then, fits my criteria for something that I would enjoy. And I did. ...But much too late...

The theme of dragons and/or killing dragons is certainly not a new one, but I looked forward to this because I list of authors that I was mostly not familiar with (Janet Morri
William O'Brien
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
HEROIKA 1: DRAGON EATERS
Janet Morris et al

A superb tale of dragons.

HEROIKA 1: DRAGON EATERS takes you on a quest of bravery and legends never before encountered. The realistic details crafted by these writers are amazing and eating wild dragon is a disturbed but welcomed vision for the hunters of mythology and fantasy.

Eagerly anticipating the next installment.

Blinding fire and light!
Kasey Cocoa
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I'm not normally a huge fan of collections by different authors, but, having read this book I cannot say that any longer. This was an excellent collection, all with something to offer that was good quality and enjoyable to read. I can say that I am a fan of dragons, and as such I tend to be a little more picky when it comes to stories with dragons in them. This read left me with such a good feeling, it was as though I just finished a meal prepared by a Michelin Starred Chef. I received an ARC th ...more
BOB RUST
May 10, 2015
Iina
Aug 31, 2017
Bruce
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Janet E.
Oct 24, 2016
Normandie Alleman
May 17, 2015
Cas Peace
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
C.P. Mandara
May 14, 2015
Jennifer Loiske
May 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sword & Sorcery: ...: Heroika 1 - Dragon Hunting Across Time (May 2015) 4 22 Jun 19, 2015 02:54PM

• My Fair Latte (Cafe Cinema Mystery Series, #1)
  • Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1)
  • Unmarked (The Legion, #2)
  • Caffeine: How Caffeine Created the Modern World
  • Carnival Row: Tangle in the Dark
  • The Polkinghorne Reader: Science, Faith, and the Search for Meaning
  • Break Shot: My First 21 Years
  • Done Burger
  • A Perfect Marriage
  • Bait
  • Beast (Twisted Ever After, #1)
  • Pound of Flesh
  • The Husband Sitter
  • Jack Frost (Jack Stratton #7)
  • Space Unicorn Blues (Reason, #1)
  • Spark and the League of Ursus
  • Lauren's Barbarian (Icehome, #1)
  • Fire In His Spirit (Fireblood Dragons, #5)
Janet Ellen Morris (born May 25, 1946) is a United States author. She began writing in 1976 and has since published more than 20 novels, many co-authored with David Drake or her husband Chris Morris. She has contributed short fiction to the shared universe fantasy series Thieves World, and edited the Bangsian fantasy series Heroes in Hell. Most of her work has been in the fantasy and science ficti ...more

Heroika (2 books)
  • Skirmishers (Heroika #2)