Start by marking “Edgar Allan Poe: The Strange Man Standing Deep in the Shadows” as Want to Read:
Edgar Allan Poe: The Strange Man Standing Deep in the Shadows

Edgar Allan Poe: The Strange Man Standing Deep in the Shadows

Strap in for a terrifying look into the life and times of the original strange man:Edgar Allan Poe.

Poe is viewed as the ultimate doomed romantic whose last days are shrouded in sordid mystery. His life was a disaster, but his achievements in writing are amazing. He is widely recognized as father of the modern short story, inventor of the detective story and the master of
Published October 23rd 2015 by Chartwell Books (first published September 16th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Edgar Allan Poe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edgar Allan Poe

Start your review of Edgar Allan Poe: The Strange Man Standing Deep in the Shadows
Shayne Bauer
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5

I learned a lot about Poe, but this was pretty repetitive. Basically, he was extremely poor, he drank a lot, and he liked to insult his friends. I would like to have learned more about the specific influences for his writing and where to find tributes/memorials today.

I didn't realize that he really didn't earn anything for his work in his lifetime. The poor guy didn't become truly popular until after his death. The final chapter outlines his immense influence on modern literature, film,
Ryan_Stumbo
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thought it was a really neat book about how Edgar was inspired. The artwork that is in this book is very Gothic and carefully drawn. I recommend this book to anyone who loves learning about Edgar Allen Poe.
Ripley
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First of all, I just want to say, I've read everything by Poe as he was at one time my favorite author. He still is one of my favorites. I thought I knew a lot about his life through the articles I've read here and there over the years. I realized that I really knew not much of anything about him. His story is sad and very tragic.

Without getting into too much detail, because this is a book every Poe fan should read, one of the things that really stood out to me was how socially awkward Poe was.
Cat Rayne
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Ordered online, the size and design of the book surprised me. It’s an unusual structure for a biography but seamlessly carries the reader through the tragic, though often self imposed life of Edgar Allen Poe.

Looks and “feels” like a coffee table book yet unlike them grants insight and knowledge to the genius of Poe. Many photos and letter excerpts from Poe and also friends and his many enemies are scattered throughout the book.

Good read, enjoyable foray into the design of it.
Michael Beyer
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a masterful job of biographical research and presentation. It not only brings you close enough to a genius, who lived a horribly difficult life and was a difficult person to be around, to smell the wine on his breath. Charlotte Montague puts Poe under an understanding but unforgiving microscope, showing us his strengths and his weaknesses, as well as the warts and the blossoms of his critics and enemies. She also weaves in the connections to his fiction and his poetry to give us insight ...more
DKSDGM
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: history, literature, non-fiction
This book makes learning history fun by bringing it alive. The text is well written and engaging and supplemented with pictures and graphic tools like different fonts or background colors reminiscent of old parchment paper to highlight letters or direct quotes from the time to further bring the narrative alive. The context of the time is further enlightened by pictures and mini-bios of the other people Poe was interacting with. I recommend this engaging immersive experience to anyone interested ...more
Shanelle Spaulding
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
If I could go back into history and meet anyone, hands down that would be Edgar Allan Poe. His life is just ver intriguing to me, not to mention his death.

This book was just so engrossing. I loved learning about Mr. Poe.
Jbmcgraw
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
Great book that is a fun read. It is very informational without coming off like a text book.
Linda
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All kinds of things you didn't know about Edgar Allan Poe, his friends, his family, his friends he never paid back, plus fantastic illustrations.
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing read!
Dennis Lynch
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A concise summary of his life and writings. A good place to start learning about him.
Phillip
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Took me three years to read, but ultimately a fairly interesting biography of Edgar Allan Poe. I have to admit I learned a few new things here
Donna Louise Kay

• Ugly Truth
  • Wir von der anderen Seite
  • The Story Solution: 23 Actions All Great Heroes Must Take
  • New Stories from the South, 2005
  • Who Was Edgar Allan Poe?
  • Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?
  • The Black God's Drums
  • The Little Book Of The Zodiac: An Introduction to Astrology
  • A Moose for Jessica
  • Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5)
  • The End of Oz (Dorothy Must Die, #4)
  • The Shipping News
Charlotte Montague is an author specializing in maritime history. Her father was a naval office, and as a child, she travelled the world with her family. She travels for most of the year, but returns frequently to her home, a remote 18th century cottage close to a famous smuggler's cove on the Cornish coast.